[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: DIY when fixing a house?  (Read 20497 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: DIY when fixing a house?
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2021, 02:25:08 PM »
Would you rather have something that's very likely asbestos tested and removed or better to be ignorant, remove it yourself saving thousands and have the mindset that it's a one time job so maybe you don't get mesothelioma?

This isn't a serious question, right?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2021, 02:37:49 PM »
This isn't a serious question, right?

Somewhat. I can't afford abatement as I've got a wedding to pay for in a year, loans, and a mortgage. I have a N100 respirator so it's not like I'm sucking in all the fibers but since I started taking up the tiles before stumbling onto an article saying that black tar like tile adhesives in old houses generally contain asbestos I'm trying to decide my next course of action.
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2021, 02:50:04 PM »
Somewhat. I can't afford abatement as I've got a wedding to pay for in a year, loans, and a mortgage. I have a N100 respirator so it's not like I'm sucking in all the fibers but since I started taking up the tiles before stumbling onto an article saying that black tar like tile adhesives in old houses generally contain asbestos I'm trying to decide my next course of action.

Well, that adhesive is hard to remove...I know.  regardless of doing it yourself or hiring someone, carefully remove some, and take a sample to a lab to be certain, should cost under $100 for analysis.  If you decide to do it yourself, seal off the area as best you can, wear your respirator, keep the surface damp to reduce dust, and dispose of it properly.  Most states allow homeowners to do their own remediation and take the waste to an appropriate facility as long as you package it properly (usually 2x 6mil bags).

But the lab is the key, I recently ripped out some 1930s plaster & surfacing, but did the lab test first - no asbestos!  woohoo!  I still wore my mask - always good to avoid fine particles in the lungs.

I'm amazed at how scared the government has made people of asbestos.  Most people aren't aware it's still legal to use in the US! "The United States is one of the few major industrialized nations without an asbestos ban in place. It continues to be used in gaskets, friction products, roofing materials, fireproofing materials and other products that are used every day."  It's not some alien virus, just remove it (or cover it!) with care.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2021, 02:57:49 PM »
Well, that adhesive is hard to remove...I know.  regardless of doing it yourself or hiring someone, carefully remove some, and take a sample to a lab to be certain, should cost under $100 for analysis.  If you decide to do it yourself, seal off the area as best you can, wear your respirator, keep the surface damp to reduce dust, and dispose of it properly.  Most states allow homeowners to do their own remediation and take the waste to an appropriate facility as long as you package it properly (usually 2x 6mil bags).

But the lab is the key, I recently ripped out some 1930s plaster & surfacing, but did the lab test first - no asbestos!  woohoo!  I still wore my mask - always good to avoid fine particles in the lungs.

I'm amazed at how scared the government has made people of asbestos.  Most people aren't aware it's still legal to use in the US! "The United States is one of the few major industrialized nations without an asbestos ban in place. It continues to be used in gaskets, friction products, roofing materials, fireproofing materials and other products that are used every day."  It's not some alien virus, just remove it (or cover it!) with care.

Thanks for the advice. That seems like a good coat effective course of action.

As far as difficulty removing the adhesive so far using boiling water on a rag has been decent at getting it up. What have you used? I read mineral spirits but that's some rough smell to put around the kitchen
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2021, 03:01:49 PM »

As far as difficulty removing the adhesive so far using boiling water on a rag has been decent at getting it up. What have you used? I read mineral spirits but that's some rough smell to put around the kitchen

Well, mine had original wood flooring under it, so I hired a guy (not a remediator) willing to sand it down (into a bag) to be able to refinish the floor.  I just had to dispose of the sanded waste. Fair deal.  it was about 125 sq ft worth.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2021, 03:18:20 PM »
Well, mine had original wood flooring under it, so I hired a guy (not a remediator) willing to sand it down (into a bag) to be able to refinish the floor.  I just had to dispose of the sanded waste. Fair deal.  it was about 125 sq ft worth.

Mine does to. That's what I was planning to do after I've taken up the subfloor and two layers of tile (fml) I didn't know how much I would need to have scraped off or if they could sand it right away.
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2021, 03:31:36 PM »
Mine does to. That's what I was planning to do after I've taken up the subfloor and two layers of tile (fml) I didn't know how much I would need to have scraped off or if they could sand it right away.

My guy didn't require any to come off first - but you may not find a contractor willing to take the job like I did.   If you can't find one, you could rent one of these (basically what he used) from HD and do it yourself:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/rental/Clarke-American-Sanders-Drum-Floor-Sander-07012A/309005831

Just hope you're skilled enough to stop when you get to bare wood!

side note:  this past summer I replaced a kitchen floor that had 5!!! layers of flooring on it.  I ripped up 4 layers leaving the last that likely contained asbestos, securing/patching it a bit and tiling on top of it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 03:35:36 PM by rocky_warrior »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2021, 03:40:03 PM »
side note:  this past summer I replaced a kitchen floor that had 5!!! layers of flooring on it.  I ripped up 4 layers leaving the last that likely contained asbestos, securing/patching it a bit and tiling on top of it.

Holy crap. I thought what I was doing was tough.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2021, 03:40:30 PM »

Ah, did you get a quote? 

edit:  Holy smokes, I just did a cursory search, and it is extremely expensive...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 03:45:10 PM by Hards_Alumni »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2021, 03:42:47 PM »
Ah, did you get a quote?

Just ran a rough estimate basing it off what my cousin and friend were given for their places.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2021, 03:57:02 PM »

And the cancer issue with asbestos is only sustained exposure over time.  A one time exposure with safety precautions taken should not be a health issue.
Otherwise, everyone in Val-des-Sources, formerly known as Asbestos, Quebec may already be dieing.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2021, 04:21:17 PM »
I had ugly 1920s square vinyl tile things in my basement.  I never had it tested, but I assumed it was asbestos .. I just put new vinyl squares over it.  I bet the owner of the house in 50 years will make the same decision.  Let em be.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2021, 08:50:33 PM »

Is this in the basement?  Roughly what year was it put in?  Lots of people put roofing tar as the adhesive.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2021, 09:19:09 PM »
Is this in the basement?  Roughly what year was it put in?  Lots of people put roofing tar as the adhesive.

Kitchen, pantry and hallway. Honestly the more research I do the more I'm convinced the tile is asbestos. Gotta make sure I'm more cautious going forward.

Maigh Eo for Sam

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2021, 10:21:43 AM »
You hired a guy to mechanically sand asbestos mastic in your residence?
Did you properly dispose of the waste or just throw it out with the garbage?
I’ve seen contractors lose their business based on less than this.
Homeowners can conduct certain regulated asbestos activities, but as soon as you employee someone to do the work OSHA kicks in, and laws were broken. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2021, 12:26:10 PM »
Did you properly dispose of the waste or just throw it out with the garbage?

Yes, took the bag to an approved facility for asbestos disposal.  Already mentioned that if you've been following the thread...

Homeowners can conduct certain regulated asbestos activities, but as soon as you employee someone to do the work OSHA kicks in, and laws were broken.

Shh.  I also speed sometimes too.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2021, 03:26:38 PM »
I just had to dispose of the sanded waste.

Rocky—I have been following this thread of all your wrongdoings.
Where above does this say you took it to an approved facility...I missed that part.
You do whatever the hell you want, but you may want to put the brakes on advice that could get others in trouble. Just a thought.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2021, 03:37:16 PM »
Rocky—I have been following this thread of all your wrongdoings.
Where above does this say you took it to an approved facility...I missed that part.
You do whatever the hell you want, but you may want to put the brakes on advice that could get others in trouble. Just a thought.

I think Rocky felt that the implication in this paragraph was that he had done it and disposed of it properly.

...their own remediation and take the waste to an appropriate facility as long as you package it properly (usually 2x 6mil bags).

Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2021, 03:46:27 PM »
Guys, who let Ned Flanders in the thread?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2021, 04:39:14 PM »
I think Rocky felt that the implication in this paragraph was that he had done it and disposed of it properly.
That’s why I asked.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2021, 05:18:57 PM »

Hah.  I'm not telling anybody what to do.  And trouble/risk is up to those making the decisions.  It's perfectly fair for you to point out legal implications. 

Certainly in this particular case the best/easiest is to slap something over the mastic and forget about it.  The next best/most costly option is to have it remediated properly so you can finish it how you want, there are several options after that, and I have taken some of those in life. 

I also have been clear that I'm certainly not that scared of asbestos - you just always need to be conscious of your decisions about handling substances that may contain it. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2021, 05:36:53 PM »
Cool—it’s not a matter if your “scared” of asbestos or not.
What you are failing to understand is that what you did and what your contractor did are fineable offenses.
No notifications, no appropriate license, no fees, wrong equipment and techniques, homeowner knowingly putting contractor in danger, etc.

I hope you stay friends with that guy because I have seen homeowners sue contractors and vice versa in this exact scenario. It’s been done for decades.
And if that’s the case, you will both lose.
But, you seem to have a better handle on this than me.....since your not scared of it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2021, 05:46:05 PM »
No notifications, no appropriate license, no fees, wrong equipment and techniques, homeowner knowingly putting contractor in danger, etc.

You're making a lot of incorrect assumptions.  But OK.  Sorry I've offended your sensibility.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 06:43:59 PM by rocky_warrior »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2021, 06:04:50 PM »
Am I? Well, you’ve admitted to two violations already...and based upon using a handyman instead of a licensed abatement contractor (or in your words ‘remediator’) I’m pretty confident in what I’m talking about.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2021, 06:54:10 PM »
Am I?

You are.  And I'm also very confident you know what you're talking about.  Perhaps you could offer productive suggestions to the DIY solutions!

feedback