collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: DIY when fixing a house?  (Read 20472 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: DIY when fixing a house?
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2020, 08:06:03 PM »
I've been making a pretty sweet fixer upper. I had very little experience going in. But just about everything you could ever want has projects of it on YouTube.

From repairing toilets, fridges, air conditioners, to remodeling and taking down walls. There isn't much you cant do if you have YouTube and beer.

I'm currently making a concrete sink with a wood vanity in preperation for my concrete hardtop.

Ps: if it can kill you, use a professional (furnace)

Hologram unleash, eh?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2020, 09:11:36 PM »
Ya own der stock or is ya a sales rep for this chit?

Hah, neither.  Just amazed how easy it's gotten.   Seriously, this stuff could (probably should) put plumbers out of business.  Sorry to any plumbers out there.  Appreciate all the years of hard work :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 09:13:51 PM by rocky_warrior »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2020, 10:17:53 PM »
Hah, neither.  Just amazed how easy it's gotten.   Seriously, this stuff could (probably should) put plumbers out of business.  Sorry to any plumbers out there.  Appreciate all the years of hard work :)

The plumber’s union still has it banned in Chicago.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2020, 11:02:55 PM »

The one DIY thing I can do really well is write a check.  The handwriting is legible.  Always has the correct date.  Invoice number in the memo line for convenience sake.
 Signature is like a work of art.

Hope this helps.

Same here, except my signature is completely illegible.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2020, 10:53:34 AM »

Well then, even more important to check with your local building permit office before DIY (and... You be you Chicago, lol)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2020, 10:55:34 AM »

Interesting to know. Does that mean it's against code in Chicago or just that plumbers won't touch it? I'm in Forest Park so it won't effect me till likely the next house but just checking.
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2020, 11:19:20 AM »
Interesting to know. Does that mean it's against code in Chicago or just that plumbers won't touch it? I'm in Forest Park so it won't effect me till likely the next house but just checking.

Quick search shows that it's not approved by code.  So, while it's perfectly safe nationally, and if you were going to stay in your house until you die - it's not a problem.  But if you plan on selling, the buyers could raise a stink and either make you replace it, or back out of the deal. 

Unfortunately, this is just a power play by the union to justify their high costs, and block the simpler, cheaper solution.  There would likely be a way for citizens to get the city to fix code via lawsuits or ballot measures.  But that would require a lot of organization, and fighting the union too. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2020, 01:21:35 PM »
Chicago unions are proof that unions can go very wrong.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2020, 10:37:49 PM »
Chicago unions are proof that unions can go very wrong.

This. They stifle innovation and advancement for the jobs they no longer have the bodies to fill.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2020, 09:44:17 AM »
Does anybody have a kitchen without a range hood? Are they really necessary?  I'm considering skipping that so I can install the oven and stove in the island I'm building.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2020, 10:18:30 AM »
Does anybody have a kitchen without a range hood? Are they really necessary?  I'm considering skipping that so I can install the oven and stove in the island I'm building.
Our island has a cooktop with a pop up fan behind it rather than a range hood...similar to image linked below.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchens-contemporary-kitchen-phvw-vp~8652200

We do have to clean the pendant lights above the island a few times a year but the fan works pretty well.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2020, 10:51:37 AM »
Our island has a cooktop with a pop up fan behind it rather than a range hood...similar to image linked below.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchens-contemporary-kitchen-phvw-vp~8652200

We do have to clean the pendant lights above the island a few times a year but the fan works pretty well.

Similar situation, we have a very powerful exhaust fan in the ceiling that takes care of the problem.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2020, 04:06:22 AM »
Anyone tried an infrared heater for a garage or outbuilding? 
Any idea of the real operating costs?
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2020, 08:01:35 AM »
Even if someone is “handy” (I am not), I think your time is worth money. For simple math, let’s say Homeowner X makes $100k a year, works 40 hours a week and takes two weeks vacation, so he makes $50 an hour. If you can get a professional to do it for about that, take it.

There’s also no shame in thinking you’re worth time-and-a-half on weekends.

You are assuming that the person could do the job as quickly as a professional,including fixing any mistakes. I would double that rate.
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2020, 09:21:27 AM »
Anyone tried an infrared heater for a garage or outbuilding? 
Any idea of the real operating costs?

That is going to be highly dependent on the size of the building, insulation etc.

Are you going to run it 24/7 in the winter or just when you're in the building?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2020, 10:43:45 AM »
For all your heating needs, my in-laws have operated http://www.heatinghelp.com for almost 25 years.  Very active message board, find a contractor, and if you are inclined some great books on home heating.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2020, 10:48:48 AM »
Anybody raised collar ties on their home to finish an attic?
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2020, 11:46:54 AM »

Plenty of people don't. I had a couple of apartments without them. They aren't necessary but are very nice to have.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2020, 11:08:15 AM »
That is going to be highly dependent on the size of the building, insulation etc.

Are you going to run it 24/7 in the winter or just when you're in the building?
I plan to use it 24/7 in the colder months just to keep the garage around +5C.  Colder months around here are -20C to -40C and the garage has very little insulation.  Basically I want to not freeze if working in there and I want the cars to start. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2020, 12:01:49 PM »
I plan to use it 24/7 in the colder months just to keep the garage around +5C.  Colder months around here are -20C to -40C and the garage has very little insulation.  Basically I want to not freeze if working in there and I want the cars to start.

You'll have to insulate the garage if you want to run that thing 24/7

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2020, 12:02:34 PM »

Where are you that your temps are in Celsius?

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2020, 08:00:55 PM »
Where are you that your temps are in Celsius?
Temps are in Celsius pretty much everywhere... there are only seven countries left that use F.  Having lived outside the USA for 25 years, I now think in metric, except for horsepower and psi.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2020, 09:19:57 PM »
Temps are in Celsius pretty much everywhere... there are only seven countries left that use F.  Having lived outside the USA for 25 years, I now think in metric, except for horsepower and psi.

Merica.  We use farenheit and inches.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2020, 09:29:01 PM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2020, 08:56:14 PM »
Finished a paver patio with built in fire pit today. Elected to not mortar or liquid nail the stones for the pit in case any crack from heat. Does anyone have experience with this? Will they shift in a storm or is setting them in unnecessary
Maigh Eo for Sam