[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Job status  (Read 28158 times)

withoutbias

• All American
Re: Job status
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2020, 04:29:34 PM »
Despite Americans in China warning the administration that the pandemic was a major concern, we had this...

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1220818115354923009

Thank you President Xi!

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2020, 04:52:49 PM »
The pandemic response team Trump cut would’ve certainly been useful, hey?

Also, hysterical you think the administration did the best they could with the information they had. They had much more information than what they acted on from their very own people, but President Xi did a great job so who did we trust, our own or the enemy China? Hmm. I agree. Very sad that we have a president who ignores his own intel to trust China’s leadership. Absolutely wild.

Yes. We should have shut the whole country down January 24th when the first case was reported - yet we now know it was likely here earlier. Perhaps had we done that we could be at 120 million unemployed, all to save the 0.5% of health compromised people who would die from Covid.

What are your thoughts on Biden calling China travel ban xenophobic and racist?

What are your thoughts about Pelosi encouraging San Franciscans to head out and mingle in Chinatown in March?

Cuomo mandating nursing homes taking COVID patients?

End of the day, it’s subjective as to how much better/worse things could have gone.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2020, 04:56:56 PM »
Yes. We should have shut the whole country down January 24th when the first case was reported - yet we now know it was likely here earlier. Perhaps had we done that we could be at 120 million unemployed, all to save the 0.5% of health compromised people who would die from Covid.

What are your thoughts about Pelosi encouraging San Franciscans to head out and mingle in Chinatown in March?

End of the day, it’s subjective as to how much better/worse things could have gone.

Biden never called the travel ban xenophobic or racist. Just because you say it 750 times doesn’t make it true. You’re just lying over, and over, and over again.

But you’re right. The administration has handled this perfectly. Thank you President Xi!

What an idiot.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2020, 05:00:53 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 05:02:42 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2020, 05:08:36 PM »

But some people who have a D next to their name did bad things too so I guess nothing is to be done! No accountability for anyone! Glad we settled that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2020, 05:11:06 PM »
I don’t take responsibility at all.

Hey! Using a quote exactly as the words came out of his mouth is political spin!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2020, 05:18:30 PM »

He didn't.

She said it in February. Even Trump got that right. It was still a dumb thing to say, though.
What are your thoughts about Devin Nunes encouraging people to go out to eat in mid-March because there were good tables to be had, against the advice of state and federal health authorities?
Actually, don't answer that. It's irrelevant. Because nothing Nancy Pelosi or Devin Nunes did or didn't do has any bearing on the job Trump has done.
[/quote]

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2020, 05:36:51 PM »
Were this not an election year, I'm guessing this would have been handled completely different from the beginning.
Trump is intentionally trying to kill off as many black and brown people as he can so they can’t vote in 5 months?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2020, 05:39:25 PM »

Hey! Using a quote exactly as the words came out of his mouth is political spin!

Or maybe an actual recording him. https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/05/23/donald-trump-golf-coronavirus-obama-ebola-sot-vpx-nr.cnn

In an interview on Fox and Friends around the same time, Mr Trump criticised then-president Obama for his love of playing golf, saying: "When you're president, you sort of say, like, 'I'm gonna give it up for a few years and I'm gonna really focus on the job'.

Mr Trump added: "There are times to play and there are times that you can't play and it sends the wrong signal."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2020, 05:48:39 PM »
This thread is WAY off "Job Status" .. sheltered in place.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2020, 09:21:52 PM »
Something I didn't know .. I was chatting with a neighbor who said his job was down to 32 hours per week, 1 day furlough.   He said he is allowed to claim unemployment for those 8 hours .. ok .. but that he also gets the $600 bonus money per week. 

WOW, I had no idea.

Our company put hundreds of people on 32 hours .. I guarantee you none of them want that to change as they are doubling their pay while working 20% less.

(Mind you, the $600 bonus ends Aug 1.   But they'll have doubled their pay for 4 months .. if the 32/hrs lasted another 4 months, they'd be back to "even.")

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2020, 12:07:47 AM »
Something I didn't know .. I was chatting with a neighbor who said his job was down to 32 hours per week, 1 day furlough.   He said he is allowed to claim unemployment for those 8 hours .. ok .. but that he also gets the $600 bonus money per week. 

Surprising but correct - sorta.  It depends on the state unemployment laws for reduction of hours.  I'm guessing WI must only have a 20% threshold.  From a law firm, but interesting (and where I got my info):
https://www.steptoe.com/en/news-publications/who-cares-unemployment-benefits-for-reduced-hours-and-furloughed-employees.html

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2020, 07:42:56 AM »

WOW, I had no idea.

Our company put hundreds of people on 32 hours .. I guarantee you none of them want that to change as they are doubling their pay while working 20% less.

(Mind you, the $600 bonus ends Aug 1.   But they'll have doubled their pay for 4 months .. if the 32/hrs lasted another 4 months, they'd be back to "even.")

I do believe they have to be considered non-exempt (hourly) employees to collect unemployment with the one day a week furlough.  A few organizations are converting salaried employees to hourly for this purpose. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2020, 11:42:59 AM »
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:53:23 PM by Greggery Peccary »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2020, 08:30:48 PM »
Biden never called the travel ban xenophobic or racist. Just because you say it 750 times doesn’t make it true. You’re just lying over, and over, and over again.

We should probably just use facts.  You are correct he never directly called it that.  This should settle this once and for all

January 31st the White House issued a travel ban to go into effect Feb 2nd

"The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the People's Republic of China, excluding the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States is hereby suspended."

Source: Donald Trump, "Proclamation on Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Persons who Pose a Risk of Transmitting 2019 Novel Coronavirus," whitehouse.gov, Jan. 31, 2020   

Less than 45 minutes later Vice President Biden responded with this at a campaign event in Iowa:

"We have, right now, a crisis with the coronavirus. This is no time for Donald Trump's record of hysteria and xenophobia - hysterical xenophobia - and fearmongering to lead the way instead of science."

Source: Trevor Hunnicutt, "Biden Slams Trump for Cutting Health Programs before Coronavirus Outbreak," reuters.com, Jan. 31, 2020

Maybe the timing was a coincidence, and you are correct he did not directly call the travel ban racist or xenophobic this time (he did with a previous travel ban).  My personal belief is VP Biden wants to yell he called for the code red, but cannot.  He believes the travel ban fits that description, but he didn't directly say it.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2020, 08:49:02 PM »
It also wasn’t an actual ban on all travel. Thousands of citizens continued to arrive from China after it was issued.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2020, 08:53:05 PM »
We should probably just use facts.  You are correct he never directly called it that.  This should settle this once and for all

January 31st the White House issued a travel ban to go into effect Feb 2nd

"The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the People's Republic of China, excluding the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States is hereby suspended."

Source: Donald Trump, "Proclamation on Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Persons who Pose a Risk of Transmitting 2019 Novel Coronavirus," whitehouse.gov, Jan. 31, 2020   

Less than 45 minutes later Vice President Biden responded with this at a campaign event in Iowa:

"We have, right now, a crisis with the coronavirus. This is no time for Donald Trump's record of hysteria and xenophobia - hysterical xenophobia - and fearmongering to lead the way instead of science."

Source: Trevor Hunnicutt, "Biden Slams Trump for Cutting Health Programs before Coronavirus Outbreak," reuters.com, Jan. 31, 2020

Maybe the timing was a coincidence, and you are correct he did not directly call the travel ban racist or xenophobic this time (he did with a previous travel ban).  My personal belief is VP Biden wants to yell he called for the code red, but cannot.  He believes the travel ban fits that description, but he didn't directly say it.

“We should probably just use facts.”

So you confirm exactly what I said? He did not call say the travel ban on China was xenophobic? Okay, thank you for the confirmation Chicos, Mr. “I’ve never ever voted for anything but a democrat in my life but everyone else is partisan and I am not.”

What a nut.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2020, 02:15:44 PM »
Something I've been thinking about lately... If we're looking at 20%+ unemployment, then we are also looking at a lot of those folks not having health insurance...  Won't that eventually lead to massive financial problems for hospitals?  Could that spiral?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2020, 03:01:02 PM »
Something I've been thinking about lately... If we're looking at 20%+ unemployment, then we are also looking at a lot of those folks not having health insurance...  Won't that eventually lead to massive financial problems for hospitals?  Could that spiral?

People that lose their jobs are eligible for ObamaCare. In most cases, there is little or no monthly premium.

So of course, someone just renewed efforts to take it away. Cruelty IS the point.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2020, 04:11:29 PM »

Absolutely. Even successful hospitals usually operate on relatively thin margins, so a significant drift to more uncompensated care could be devastating.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2020, 05:19:28 PM »

Please, please, please let this lead to de-coupling employment from health insurance

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2020, 07:51:39 PM »
People that lose their jobs are eligible for ObamaCare. In most cases, there is little or no monthly premium.

So of course, someone just renewed efforts to take it away. Cruelty IS the point.

Not the case at all.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2020, 11:23:12 AM »
I was shocked to learn .. our 20% paycut phase is over.   They are still saying there's a possibility the cut will be reimbursed to employees later.

Shocked because I think our industry is still down 30-50%.

In conclusion, 20% more Arby's.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:33:20 PM by mu_hilltopper »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2020, 03:09:40 PM »
I was shocked to learn .. our 20% paycut phase is over.   They are still saying there's a possibility the cut will be reimbursed to employees later.

Shocked because I think our industry is still down 30-50%.

In conclusion, 20% more Arby's.

Have not been to Arby's since COVID struck.  You, sir,  have convinced me to rectify that situation in short order.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2020, 04:12:47 PM »
Not the case at all.

Which part are you saying is wrong?  And just to be clear, when I say “if you lose your job”, I am referring to losing your job- not being laid off temporarily.

feedback