collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Job status  (Read 28510 times)

jfmu

• Starter
Re: Job status
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2020, 02:38:32 PM »
Welcome to the world of high deductible plans. Sounds like you probably got either a bronze or silver plan. If you wanted to pay a lot more per month you could lower your deductible or possibly even select a co-pay plan. But that's what the carriers offer, not specific to Obamacare.

That’s not true that it had nothing to do with Obamacare. I’m self employed so I’ve always bought my own health insurance.

Prior to Obamacare I was paying (individually) $225 per month for a $500 deductible and that included dental.

After Obamacare I now pay slightly more  for a plan that has no dental and a high deductible ($5,000+)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2020, 04:50:16 PM »
That’s not true that it had nothing to do with Obamacare. I’m self employed so I’ve always bought my own health insurance.

Prior to Obamacare I was paying (individually) $225 per month for a $500 deductible and that included dental.

After Obamacare I now pay slightly more  for a plan that has no dental and a high deductible ($5,000+)

No offense intended, but I don’t believe that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2020, 05:02:52 PM »
Obamacare was a good step in the right direction, but low income people are still without decent routine and preventive care. The low-cost plans might have “affordable“ monthly premiums, but huge deductibles and copays. The higher-tier plans make the deductibles and co-pays more reasonable, but many low income people can’t afford the monthly premium.

As Jockey mentioned, it still helps if you suddenly need major care (the proverbial “if you get hit by a bus tomorrow“ scenario), which is probably the biggest benefit for people who had previously been uninsured.

For the rest of us, the biggest benefit is the portability, which prohibits denial based on a pre-existing condition. And that is a huge deal.

The next version will need to be better to truly give low income people access to good health care.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2020, 05:41:02 PM »

I prefer country bumpkin.

Sorry, I assumed you were a suburban rube.

Because there is no overhead in government?

Government doesn't have to operate for profit.  Of course there is inefficiency in governments.  Do you want everyone to have healthcare?  Do you want to consider the US a developed nation?  Do you enjoy seeing people's lives ruined by medical bills?  Why would we pretend that we're the only country in the world that has this figured out?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2020, 05:52:43 PM »
Obamacare has a significantly higher approval rating than the president of the United States does.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

https://news.gallup.com/poll/287297/americans-approval-aca-holds-steady.aspx

https://www.kff.org/interactive/kff-health-tracking-poll-the-publics-views-on-the-aca/

When your goal is to repeal and replace it with something better, and you can't even get a simple majority of the repeal-and-replacers to agree on a replacement, it's hard to take you seriously. When your leader just wants to repeal it without replacing it -- leaving tens of millions of people with nothing, including protections for pre-existing conditions, and he does so during the middle of a global pandemic ... wow.

Obamacare is flawed. Do your jobs -- Improve it.

That's what Congress has done with flawed laws for centuries.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2020, 07:01:11 PM »
Obamacare was a good step in the right direction, but low income people are still without decent routine and preventive care. The low-cost plans might have “affordable“ monthly premiums, but huge deductibles and copays. The higher-tier plans make the deductibles and co-pays more reasonable, but many low income people can’t afford the monthly premium.

As Jockey mentioned, it still helps if you suddenly need major care (the proverbial “if you get hit by a bus tomorrow“ scenario), which is probably the biggest benefit for people who had previously been uninsured.

For the rest of us, the biggest benefit is the portability, which prohibits denial based on a pre-existing condition. And that is a huge deal.

The next version will need to be better to truly give low income people access to good health care.
In the d recent campaign add with Biden, Obama said that they always viewed Obamacare like a starter house, one that would be improved or upgraded over time. But instead of approving it, he likened the Republics efforts to repeal it as trying to bulldoze the starter house with no alternative place to live.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2020, 07:06:07 PM »
Hey guys... That's enough.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2020, 09:44:41 PM »
No offense intended, but I don’t believe that.

Seems par for the course for you. If you disagree or don’t like something...just dismiss it.

It’s absolutely true...

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2020, 09:52:27 PM »
Hey guys... That's enough.

Interesting you didn’t shut this thread down but rather gave the ol’ hand slap.

When it’s conservatives veering off track and getting political on this board we don’t quite get that same leniency.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2020, 10:36:44 PM »

When it’s conservatives veering off track and getting political on this board we don’t quite get that same leniency.

Ah yes. The conservatives are treated so unfairly, always.

Does it get tiresome always being a martyr?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2020, 08:17:11 AM »
If you required even one minor surgery, that max 8000 would save you.

Those numbers you gave seem pretty normal. If you get insurance through an employer, the monthly co-pay can be $200-$300 a month and the other numbers would be fairly similar. Maybe a little lower depending on the generosity of your employer.

Medicare for seniors runs about the same. Coverage is a bit better.

Eh my new plan through work is...

40 per pay period, 1300 deductible, 4200 max, $25, $25, $15. I enjoy that one a lot more.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2020, 08:19:07 AM »

Isn't preventative care free by law through insurance?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2020, 09:03:12 AM »

The other part of ObamaCare was it stabilized the insurance cost at employers.  I was told by HR people at multiple places and experienced myself firsthand that the amount taken out of a paycheck was flat for 5 straight years.  An HR quote to me was " It goes up every year but not after ObamaCare implementation."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2020, 09:49:56 AM »

Rather than act like a wounded victim, you might want to check on the stuff guru has been spewing in the main COVID thread. Not only does it have nothing to do with COVID, but it is overtly political. And not only is it overtly political, but it resorts to name-calling of everybody who disagrees with his extreme-right viewpoints.

Many of us (from either "side") have received time-outs for far less.

And yet rocky is trying to engage him and reason with him. Patience of a saint.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2020, 11:21:06 AM »

40 per pay period, 1300 deductible, 4200 max, $25, $25, $15. I enjoy that one a lot more.
Definitely, you'll often get a better deal through your employer thanks to group purchasing. But if you had to obtain insurance on your own w/o the subsidies through Obamacare you're going to pay full freight, which is extremely expensive.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2020, 11:23:49 AM »

Victimization and "it's not what is said but who says it"? Check
Appeal to authority of random, outlier voices? Check
Rehashing of previous, disproven arguments? Check

What's up cheeks?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #166 on: July 26, 2020, 11:25:25 AM »
Guru isn't cheeks.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #167 on: July 26, 2020, 11:29:33 AM »
Guru isn't cheeks.

He didn’t quote guru

reinko

• All American
« Reply #168 on: July 26, 2020, 11:32:21 AM »
Can't wait until we get single payor health care. Still get the best health care in the the world...and its free. That'll be the tits, hey?

In your version of this country can Muslims get equal access to healthcare?  Or are they considered “others”?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2020, 11:37:34 AM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2020, 11:40:25 AM »
Sure, anyone can get anything as long as you pay for it.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

reinko

• All American
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2020, 11:54:20 AM »
Sure, anyone can get anything as long as you pay for it.

Weird, because you posted an Islamophobic chain email on this site not long ago, so just wanted to make sure.

AMDG Doc

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2020, 12:08:47 PM »

Good to hear, Unleash. Excellent plan and numbers look good.

Your co-pay at work is lower than most employer provided insurance. The numbers you give are more in line with the gold plan of Obamacare, which even with subsidy may have cost you $400 a month or more.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2020, 02:36:46 PM »
Isn't preventative care free by law through insurance?

Yes and no - a very specifically defined set of 'Preventive Services' are covered by law...but the range of services is much narrower than most physicians recommend, and doesn't give docs discretion to add much of anything based on family history and such. Better than before, but not as good as you would be expecting if you have had good coverage in the past.

I suspect the definition was the result of compromises to get it passed. A step in the right direction, but hopefully not the last step.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2020, 06:59:43 PM »
Seems par for the course for you. If you disagree or don’t like something...just dismiss it.

It’s absolutely true...

Have you past a 5 year milestone (25, 30, 35) since then? Because premiums go up with age of course you pay more. Am I missing something?

I have been self employed for 20 years and my premiums are 4 times what they were 20 years ago.