[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230565 times)

pacearrow02

• Starter
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #2150 on: January 06, 2022, 01:21:44 PM »
The laws differ by states. But in most, districts need voter approval for a tax rate hike above a certain amount or to fund borrowing( like a bond issue) that would require a tax increase to repay.
So, it would depend on how the district is able to fund any pay hike.
Generally speaking, though, the residents of the community get their say when they choose their elected leaders on the school board.

Interesting, thanks!!

Seems like a no brainer as a campaign promise or talking point if you’re running for a local school board .

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2151 on: January 06, 2022, 01:44:41 PM »
Interesting, thanks!!

Seems like a no brainer as a campaign promise or talking point if you’re running for a local school board .

Nah.
Old people are the largest voting block in local elections. Old people don't have kids and, because of that, old people tend not to like it when school districts spend money.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2152 on: January 06, 2022, 01:48:44 PM »
Nah.
Old people are the largest voting block in local elections. Old people don't have kids and, because of that, old people tend not to like it when school districts spend money.

Yuuuuup.  It is amazing when you analyze the data when it comes to local elections and why schools struggle in them to get funds.  My parents have lived in the same house I grow up in and they haven’t voted yes on a single school referendum since my sister and I were out of school.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2153 on: January 06, 2022, 01:56:58 PM »
Yuuuuup.  It is amazing when you analyze the data when it comes to local elections and why schools struggle in them to get funds.  My parents have lived in the same house I grow up in and they haven’t voted yes on a single school referendum since my sister and I were out of school.

Boomer mentality - take advantage of every existing program (plus create new advantages for yourselves) to climb the ladder of life, then burn every rung behind you

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2154 on: January 06, 2022, 02:02:55 PM »
You're not honestly this stupid are you?  Unemployment is at 4.2% nationally.  That is in the natural level of 'full employment'.

https://www.bloomberg.com/quicktake/full-employment

There aren't willing workers to fill millions of job openings.  So you're suggestion is to let thousands of businesses 'fight it out' for workers that do not exist?  And what logic or rationale do you base this from?  Your feelings again?  Xenophobia?

It's fine, I know you haven't really thought this through either.  You just love to 'ask questions' or type the first thing that fires out of your brain.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/participationrate.asp

Labor participation rate is a better piece of data to look at then unemployment rate.  Currently at 62% if we could convince (with increasingly higher wages)another 5-10% of those able bodied Americans currently sitting on the sidelines to get back into the workforce. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2155 on: January 06, 2022, 02:23:11 PM »
Rethink immigration policies only if you want to keep wages unnecessarily low.  Current landscape of employers desperate and fighting each other for good employees has helped improve wages almost overnight for thousands and thousands of Americans. 

Inject hundreds of thousands of immigrants into that picture and now the power gets shifted right back to the employers and away from the employees.

Honest question.  If a local district wants to give a 25% pay raise across the board to all their teachers in k-12 is that something that has to be voted on by the residents of the community or just negotiated with the union or something?

Easy fix. Make minimum wage a living wage ($25?) And tie it to local housing/cost of living/inflation permanently

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2156 on: January 06, 2022, 02:35:01 PM »
Easy fix. Make minimum wage a living wage ($25?) And tie it to local housing/cost of living/inflation permanently
Just putting this out there:

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/03/fast-food-chains-block-15-minimum-wage-relief-dunkin-arbys-sonic

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2157 on: January 06, 2022, 02:36:46 PM »

Agree with a lot of this.  Federal minimum wage is useless.  States need to do a better job of making sure their state minimum wage is a livable wage and reflective to the local cost of living of each state.  $25 for a minimum wage in some areas of the country is probably a good landing spot but in other areas probably a bit to high.  Place like Wisco $15-17 seems pretty good for a minimum wage which a lot of businesses are already doing.  Should absolutely be tied to inflation as well.  How would that work, every 5-10  years adjust the wage according??

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2158 on: January 06, 2022, 02:37:49 PM »
Agree with a lot of this.  Federal minimum wage is useless.  States need to do a better job of making sure their state minimum wage is a livable wage and reflective to the local cost of living of each state.  $25 for a minimum wage in some areas of the country is probably a good landing spot but in other areas probably a bit to high.  Place like Wisco $15-17 seems pretty good for a minimum wage which a lot of businesses are already doing.  Should absolutely be tied to inflation as well.  How would that work, every 5-10  years adjust the wage according??

You don't agree. I am saying make it $25 on a national level then tie increases to local conditions.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2159 on: January 06, 2022, 02:40:29 PM »

You don't agree. I am saying make it $25 on a national level then tie increases to local conditions.

Ya that I don’t agree with.  It will never pass if it’s a federal minimum wage that high.  A federal minimum of $15 maybe but $25 is a pipe dream. 

Which is why it should a state issue anyway.  Do much dependence on Washington for stuff like this.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2160 on: January 06, 2022, 02:56:34 PM »

You think if we lowered corporate tax rate from where it’s at now down to 10-12% but only in lieu of raising federal minimum wage to $18-20 would be something everyone could get behind?  For me that would make a lot of sense.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2161 on: January 06, 2022, 03:09:56 PM »
Just putting this out there:

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/03/fast-food-chains-block-15-minimum-wage-relief-dunkin-arbys-sonic

Jacobin magazine?  And you guys laugh at some of the conservative websites that get posted.  GTFOH.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2162 on: January 06, 2022, 03:14:46 PM »
Jacobin magazine?  And you guys laugh at some of the conservative websites that get posted.  GTFOH.
You missed the joke. Read the headline.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2163 on: January 06, 2022, 04:03:45 PM »
Why would you need an increased minimum wage in the times of labor shortages? The market should take care of this.  Minimum wage in Wisconsin is $7.25 an hour, but I doubt there are many people who are actually making that little, not when even the fast food places in my small rural town are advertising $15+.
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2164 on: January 06, 2022, 04:18:21 PM »
You missed the joke. Read the headline.

I saw the Arby's but refused to acknowledge that this clown website has anything to say about them.   ;)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2165 on: January 06, 2022, 04:28:25 PM »

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/participationrate.asp

Labor participation rate is a better piece of data to look at then unemployment rate.  Currently at 62% if we could convince (with increasingly higher wages)another 5-10% of those able bodied Americans currently sitting on the sidelines to get back into the workforce.

Okay, but that rate has hovered between 58% and 67.3%.  The number has been declining since 2000.  Adding 5% would bring it back to 2000 levels; the all time high, and adding 10% is unfathomable considering year on year trends.

You're not going to talk new retirees who have had a taste of the retired life and who have had unprecedented financial growth in their lifetimes to go back to work doing jobs at positions and wages lower than they retired from.  They're simply out. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2166 on: January 06, 2022, 05:15:13 PM »
You think if we lowered corporate tax rate from where it’s at now down to 10-12% but only in lieu of raising federal minimum wage to $18-20 would be something everyone could get behind?  For me that would make a lot of sense.

Personally, no, would not support that

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2167 on: January 06, 2022, 05:46:14 PM »
Personally, no, would not support that

Comrade jesmu would want min wage at $50 an hour, 70% taxes, and bread lines.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2168 on: January 06, 2022, 07:29:05 PM »
Why would you need an increased minimum wage in the times of labor shortages? The market should take care of this.  Minimum wage in Wisconsin is $7.25 an hour, but I doubt there are many people who are actually making that little, not when even the fast food places in my small rural town are advertising $15+.
I think you are looking at this backwards. There is a labor shortage amongst low paid workers precisely because the pay is too low to compensate them for those sh!tty jobs. No one wants to put up with the legion of Karens for < $10/hour.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2169 on: January 06, 2022, 07:29:32 PM »
Comrade jesmu would want min wage at $50 an hour, 70% taxes, and bread lines.

Or... Min wage that keeps up with worker production as well as inflation/cost of living, 20% tax with no loopholes.

I don't want breadlines. We saw some of those already during the pandemic thanks to capitalism's short-term viewpoint

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2170 on: January 06, 2022, 07:47:04 PM »
Or... Min wage that keeps up with worker production as well as inflation/cost of living, 20% tax with no loopholes.

I don't want breadlines. We saw some of those already during the pandemic thanks to capitalism's short-term viewpoint

хорошо сказано!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2171 on: January 06, 2022, 09:34:02 PM »
I think you are looking at this backwards. There is a labor shortage amongst low paid workers precisely because the pay is too low to compensate them for those sh!tty jobs. No one wants to put up with the legion of Karens for < $10/hour.

What planet do you live on?  If you are willing to work, the Amazon’s of the world will pay $18 per hour. No questions asked.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2172 on: January 06, 2022, 09:40:00 PM »
What planet do you live on?  If you are willing to work, the Amazon’s of the world will pay $18 per hour. No questions asked.

No personal experience, but from what I've read, Amazon treats their "disposable" employees worse than a legion of Karens!

But if you're willing to abuse your personal car, and/or have your productivity tracked down to the minute, amazon sounds like a wonderful high starting salary employer!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2173 on: January 06, 2022, 09:55:46 PM »

Define “worker production” cause that seems to often come up when ignoring the interchangeability of unskilled/low level workers.  That’s not to say “oh they are worthless drones, pay them pennies”, but “they do the work, thus they should be paid way more” is awfully simplistic IMO.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2174 on: January 06, 2022, 09:57:32 PM »

Actually, I am not.  Employers have to raise wages to the level that makes people want to accept them. 
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback