[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230213 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #1325 on: May 09, 2021, 01:22:47 PM »
If someone can be pulled away from a job for a TEMPORARY $600/week max (and that's with both the state and federal parts maxed), then the job mustn't have been that good. There are also quite a few workers who don't qualify at all for state benefits because they weren't in a job paying unemployment insurance tax, but they still have to go through the state as a gatekeeper to the federal PUA, which they must apply for. If you're a freelancer whose business is off 80% or so but you're still operating, that other 20% comes off the PUA (if you're honest in applying; if not you risk being prosecuted). A PUA determination for such a person will not just automatically come in at $300.

Those on career-track jobs with benefits where the industry just happened to get hit hard won't be too hard to get back, but the dead-end jobs where employers try to limit hours and pay $10 or less an hour and then scream about no one wanting to work will need re-examination. Governors McMaster and Gianforte both are in states notorious for low pay and throwing workers under the bus.

Superb comment.  There is not a shred of evidence to dispute it, either, though some folks apparently can come up with an anecdote about a neighbor's cousin who is allegedly gaming the system.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1326 on: May 09, 2021, 01:42:07 PM »
Superb comment.  There is not a shred of evidence to dispute it, either, though some folks apparently can come up with an anecdote about a neighbor's cousin who is allegedly gaming the system.

I mean an anecdotal experience is a “shred of evidence.”  And I have no doubt there are plenty of people choosing not to work, but my guess is that many are people who aren’t primary income earners in the household. But is this a systematic problem? Doubtful.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1327 on: May 09, 2021, 04:32:55 PM »
I mean an anecdotal experience is a “shred of evidence.”  And I have no doubt there are plenty of people choosing not to work, but my guess is that many are people who aren’t primary income earners in the household. But is this a systematic problem? Doubtful.

You got me on “not a shred.” I’ll amend to “barely a shred,” if you prefer.

• All American
« Reply #1328 on: May 09, 2021, 04:45:23 PM »
You got me on “not a shred.” I’ll amend to “barely a shred,” if you prefer.

I prefer you stop exaggerating and using hyperbole but I’m not holding my breath.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1329 on: May 09, 2021, 05:04:07 PM »
paid off the practice after he retired with the knowledge i gained money he paid me from working with him
FIFY
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1330 on: May 09, 2021, 08:43:15 PM »
I prefer you stop exaggerating and using hyperbole but I’m not holding my breath.

You'd better behave, 82. :o :o

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1331 on: May 09, 2021, 10:43:22 PM »

Why don’t you just apply for one of the high-paying Scoop Moderator jobs?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1332 on: May 10, 2021, 09:56:58 AM »
In today's Charlotte Observer:

Carolina Harbor, the 26-acre water park at Carowinds, will open June 12 instead of May 29 as originally planned because of a worker shortage. The rest of the amusement park will still reopen this month as scheduled.

Other industries, notably restaurants and retail, are also struggling to hire back enough workers to operate as coronavirus restrictions ease.

“As we’re seeing across a wide range of industries, the availability of labor has been a challenge,” Carowinds spokeswoman Lisa Stryker told the Observer Monday. “In response to the hiring challenge, we have ramped up recruiting efforts and taken steps to ensure we are providing competitive wages and benefits.”

In April, the park announced it would give $500 bonuses to all seasonal hires and expected to hire 900 part-time positions from lifeguards and rides to merchandise and hospitality.

Carowinds also was looking for 60 full-time ride operators and staff at its hotel, SpringHill Suites by Marriott Charlotte at Carowinds.

The 400-acre theme park on the North and South Carolina state line near Charlotte did not open last summer because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Most of these jobs really suck IMHO. Mundane work in extreme heat and humidity. Normally, they get a lot of college students and high school kids. Not sure if that's who the shortage is with; if so, it likely has little to do with unemployment benefits and more to do with better jobs at equal or better pay being out there. If I were 20 and had to choose a job at, say, Starbucks or Target indoors and out of the heat vs an amusement park ... it would be a no-brainer.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1333 on: May 10, 2021, 11:09:13 AM »

Carolina Harbor, the 26-acre water park at Carowinds, will open June 12 instead of May 29 as originally planned because of a worker shortage. The rest of the amusement park will still reopen this month as scheduled.

Other industries, notably restaurants and retail, are also struggling to hire back enough workers to operate as coronavirus restrictions ease.

“As we’re seeing across a wide range of industries, the availability of labor has been a challenge,” Carowinds spokeswoman Lisa Stryker told the Observer Monday. “In response to the hiring challenge, we have ramped up recruiting efforts and taken steps to ensure we are providing competitive wages and benefits.”

In April, the park announced it would give $500 bonuses to all seasonal hires and expected to hire 900 part-time positions from lifeguards and rides to merchandise and hospitality.

Carowinds also was looking for 60 full-time ride operators and staff at its hotel, SpringHill Suites by Marriott Charlotte at Carowinds.

The 400-acre theme park on the North and South Carolina state line near Charlotte did not open last summer because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Most of these jobs really suck IMHO. Mundane work in extreme heat and humidity. Normally, they get a lot of college students and high school kids. Not sure if that's who the shortage is with; if so, it likely has little to do with unemployment benefits and more to do with better jobs at equal or better pay being out there. If I were 20 and had to choose a job at, say, Starbucks or Target indoors and out of the heat vs an amusement park ... it would be a no-brainer.

At least in the Dells, they hire a lot of kids from Europe to work the watermarks.  House them, feed them, work them.   I'm guessing that those kids aren't coming over this year, so that is probably a bigger reason.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1334 on: May 10, 2021, 11:17:01 AM »
At least in the Dells, they hire a lot of kids from Europe to work the watermarks.  House them, feed them, work them.   I'm guessing that those kids aren't coming over this year, so that is probably a bigger reason.

Yes they still are. The Dells would close up without them. Every one that I have talked to feels safer here than at home. I guess they don’t realize how many hillbilly anti-vaxxers go there.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1335 on: May 10, 2021, 12:24:25 PM »

Summer jobs are supposed to suck.  It's character-building.  In high school my summer jobs were working as a sweeper girl at Opryland and as a Shoney's Big Boy waitress.

Whenever I was hiring a young person in an entry-level job, I always picked the person who did manual labor over someone who worked as a receptionist at her dad's law office.

Also, when did it become a rule that you shouldn't have to work if you think a job sucks?  Most jobs suck.  That's why they call it "work". 
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1336 on: May 10, 2021, 12:37:12 PM »
Why don’t you just apply for one of the high-paying Scoop Moderator jobs?

Then he'd have to stop taking unemployment.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1337 on: May 10, 2021, 12:39:05 PM »
Summer jobs are supposed to suck.  It's character-building.  In high school my summer jobs were working as a sweeper girl at Opryland and as a Shoney's Big Boy waitress.

Whenever I was hiring a young person in an entry-level job, I always picked the person who did manual labor over someone who worked as a receptionist at her dad's law office.

Also, when did it become a rule that you shouldn't have to work if you think a job sucks?  Most jobs suck.  That's why they call it "work".

Hell yea. I loved Big Boy.

I worked TONS of sucky jobs in high school and college..... cleaning rat $hit out of cages at MU labs, painting dorm rooms, bussing tables, cleaning rich people's golf clubs, you name it. Pretty much all for minimum wage or slightly over.

I agree with you, it is character building and fine for young people to do this stuff. Teach the the value of a dollar, etc. etc.

What I don't agree with (and Chick, you didn't say this so I'm not arguing with you, just the point that many people make) is that we can expect an adult who has to support themselves, much less a kid, to take this job. That is not just. It is not a living wage.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:42:48 PM by Coleman »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1338 on: May 10, 2021, 12:43:14 PM »
Hell yea. I loved Big Boy.

Working there or eating there?

I don't think I ever had a meal there after seeing what went on back in the kitchen.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1339 on: May 10, 2021, 12:43:47 PM »
Working there or eating there?

I don't think I ever had a meal there after seeing what went on back in the kitchen.

Eating. I was like 6 years old though. Please don't ruin it for me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1340 on: May 10, 2021, 01:13:28 PM »

I don’t think we disagree at all.

What I said is that with so many jobs open in which a college kid doesn’t have to work in extreme heat and humidity, they have more choices now.

I gave Starbucks and Target as examples and there are countless others. Many would argue those jobs suck, too. And some might argue they’re just as character-building.

What they aren’t: Sucky, character-building jobs outside in the South Carolina July heat.

• All American
« Reply #1341 on: May 10, 2021, 01:19:22 PM »
This isn't new.  These "traditional summer jobs" for high school and college kids have been harder and harder to fill for years.  Students have more options and are generally working less.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1342 on: May 10, 2021, 01:20:59 PM »

What they aren’t: Sucky, character-building jobs outside in the South Carolina July heat.

I contend that Nashville July heat with 90% humidity is worse.  And it's an 11-hour drive to the closest beach.
Have some patience, FFS.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1343 on: May 10, 2021, 02:48:46 PM »
If someone can be pulled away from a job for a TEMPORARY $600/week max (and that's with both the state and federal parts maxed), then the job mustn't have been that good. There are also quite a few workers who don't qualify at all for state benefits because they weren't in a job paying unemployment insurance tax, but they still have to go through the state as a gatekeeper to the federal PUA, which they must apply for. If you're a freelancer whose business is off 80% or so but you're still operating, that other 20% comes off the PUA (if you're honest in applying; if not you risk being prosecuted). A PUA determination for such a person will not just automatically come in at $300.

Those on career-track jobs with benefits where the industry just happened to get hit hard won't be too hard to get back, but the dead-end jobs where employers try to limit hours and pay $10 or less an hour and then scream about no one wanting to work will need re-examination. Governors McMaster and Gianforte both are in states notorious for low pay and throwing workers under the bus.

Oregon now offering up to what would be $25.85/hour for unemployment benefits...untaxed too.

Very easy to say a job "isn't good enough" when you can bring that in without having to work.

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2021/05/oregon-will-boost-weekly-jobless-benefits-by-9-for-new-claims.html?utm_campaign=theoregonian_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1_KlpmX21ImKeQbrlhQ9ThMf2O0ez92LD99uK1Ou8jX8vRReNlf4oP_c4
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1344 on: May 10, 2021, 03:10:12 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/05/07/jobs-report-labor-shortage-analysis/

Why not use the enhanced unemployment as a signing bonus? Why not come to a compromise and combine government support with private jobs?

Because no one wants a resolution

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1345 on: May 10, 2021, 03:13:40 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/05/07/jobs-report-labor-shortage-analysis/

Why not use the enhanced unemployment as a signing bonus? Why not come to a compromise and combine government support with private jobs?

Because no one wants a resolution

That's actually what Montana is doing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1346 on: May 11, 2021, 11:46:30 AM »
I contend that Nashville July heat with 90% humidity is worse.  And it's an 11-hour drive to the closest beach.

OK, you ... um ... win?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1347 on: May 11, 2021, 02:32:28 PM »
OK, you ... um ... win?

And those were coveted jobs back in the day. And they paid minimum wage. And no overtime until you hit 50 hours.

Kids today are too soft and spoiled.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1348 on: May 11, 2021, 02:41:28 PM »
Kids today are too soft and spoiled.

Counterpoint....

Kids today have grown up during...

9/11 and the War on Terror
Rampant cyber bullying
Once in a century financial collapse
An opioid epidemic
Once in a century pandemic
School shootings that have become so common that they have to drill for them like we drilled for fires and tornadoes
College costs that have risen more than twice the rate of inflation

Kids have never had it harder. And this generation has been remarkably resilient, IMHO. At least, that's how I try to see things - start with compassion and give people the benefit of the doubt. Especially kids.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 02:47:28 PM by Coleman »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1349 on: May 11, 2021, 02:55:22 PM »
I would say if kids are spoiled and soft, it’s as much the parents than anything.

Also, some of it is what is being prioritized. People don’t look for the hard labor on resumes or college applications. It’s more volunteer activities and internships.

Granted there’s plenty of people who don’t go that route. However, there’s probably way more ways to make money than 30 years ago. And many of those aren’t the “character building” jobs previous generations had.

feedback