collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230632 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #1250 on: May 06, 2021, 02:05:58 PM »
I must still be missing something in the equation.

If we assume for the sake of discussion that with/without taxes a person nets $1,500 per month take home. That's still only $18,000 per year which is @ or below the poverty line for households with 2+ members (setting aside the conversation that the poverty level for a single person is set at $12,880 and whether anyone could actually live on that).

People are walking away from jobs to live close to the poverty line? And if that is the case, is the problem the unemployment insurance, the wage, or something else?

I would guess that a number of people who take these jobs are part of dual income households.  So yeah it can make some sense to have one partner working while the other one stays home, takes care of a child (for example) and collects unemployment.  And decides to continue to do so over the summer until their kids go back to in-person school in September.

Nothing is going to change though.  It is in place until September and will likely be allowed to sunset.

Overpaying is better than underpaying.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1251 on: May 06, 2021, 02:08:06 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/05/05/labor-shortage-inflation-white-house/

I'm also reading interesting stuff about lumbar. Certainly a lot of talk about the large increase in lumbar price effecting housing and construction projects. Initially, I believed this was tied to lack of supply. But that, apparently, isn't the whole story. There's huge stockpiles of raw lumbar available right now. But in the initial pandemic, mills didn't believe their product would be needed because there would be shutdowns and economic downturn. When available supply at the end supply chain was quickly used, mills and early supple chain folks realized their chance to make $$$ and so are demanding top dollar for their product despite an abundance of materials.

We recent built some raised beds and ended up using cedar instead of treated wood because there wasn't much a price difference.

Also, this isn't just lumber, as Goose has mentioned.  It is quite a few raw materials.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1252 on: May 06, 2021, 02:11:04 PM »
We recent built some raised beds and ended up using cedar instead of treated wood because there wasn't much a price difference.

Also, this isn't just lumber, as Goose has mentioned.  It is quite a few raw materials.

For sure. I'm wondering if some of those raw materials have a similar story. Regardless, it doesn't appear to be a lack of materials as I first believed. More of a supply chain mess.

Re: your beds - if I had to build a house right now, pretty sure I'd choose an ICF structure as it seems comparable in price to lumbar.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1253 on: May 06, 2021, 02:18:58 PM »
For sure. I'm wondering if some of those raw materials have a similar story. Regardless, it doesn't appear to be a lack of materials as I first believed. More of a supply chain mess.

Re: your beds - if I had to build a house right now, pretty sure I'd choose an ICF structure as it seems comparable in price to lumbar.

Yeah, cost-push inflation doesn't usually last as long as demand-pull inflation. Cost-push inflation usually reduces demand, which sorts itself out sooner rather than later. As usual though, economics seems to follow exceptions rather than rules.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1254 on: May 06, 2021, 03:19:02 PM »

The word is lumber.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1255 on: May 06, 2021, 03:23:40 PM »
The word is lumber.

He might be saying he wouldnt use his lower back to build it. Smart because that's how you throw out your lower back
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #1256 on: May 06, 2021, 03:25:51 PM »
A good lower back is worth the price.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1257 on: May 06, 2021, 03:26:34 PM »
In MO if you made $50,000 in 2020 you would receive $320/wk or $1376/mo unemployment insurance. A person would only have to work 68.8 hours in a month @ $20/hr to earn that. Income tax isn't included in this equation but $50K/yr ~ $25/hr so the math is pretty close.

So, either the clients are not offering employees more that 16 hours of work per week or their story is BS.

Either way $1376/month is NOT keeping people from taking jobs.

We just had a news story about a poor restaurant owner that was desperate for staff. Touching.  Said unemployment insurance was the problem. Seemed genuine.
Well, except that he had just laid off about half his staff and was trying to replace them with people making minimum restaurant wage. And he couldn't fund that because other restaurants are paying more. They left that part of the story out. But it was a Sinclair station, so not surprising, their version fit their narrative.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 03:28:51 PM by pbiflyer »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1258 on: May 06, 2021, 04:19:14 PM »
A good lower back is worth the price.

I'm laying on an ice pack right now.  No lumberwork for me anytime soon with my lumbar condition.  Hopefully it will loosen up for softball so Big Lumbah can hit dingers.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1259 on: May 06, 2021, 04:36:42 PM »
The word is lumber.

Lol.

I've spent too much time in spine surgery, it would seem.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1260 on: May 06, 2021, 04:37:00 PM »
I'm laying on an ice pack right now.  No lumberwork for me anytime soon with my lumbar condition.  Hopefully it will loosen up for softball so Big Lumbah can hit dingers.

I'll send you my business card

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1261 on: May 06, 2021, 07:48:30 PM »
People are acting as if state unemployment benefits never expire. In NC, they run out after 13 weeks. And I was the one who said $400 for national UE benefits but I was corrected -- it's actually $300, so folks can stop saying $400.

So in NC, beginning with Week 14, you are getting at most $300/week, which is equivalent to $15,600/year. Few if anybody turned down a job because of that.

I know that other states are more generous than NC, but none has unlimited UE benefits. And given that many people have been unemployed since March or April 2020, I'm guessing that for most Americans, state UE benefits are a thing of the past.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1262 on: May 06, 2021, 08:03:00 PM »
The word is lumber.

Yeah, butt have ya checked da price of vertebrae lately, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #1263 on: May 07, 2021, 07:55:31 AM »
Today's unexpectedly poor jobs report is going to increase concerns that the generous unemployment benefits are preventing people from returning to work.  Some Republican governors are pulling their states out of the program and turning the extra $300 per week into bonuses to get people back to work.

I'm not sure we are quite at the point yet, but by next month we might be.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1264 on: May 07, 2021, 08:02:17 AM »
Today's unexpectedly poor jobs report is going to increase concerns that the generous unemployment benefits are preventing people from returning to work.  Some Republican governors are pulling their states out of the program and turning the extra $300 per week into bonuses to get people back to work.

I think we're there.  There are hiring signs everywhere.  Rural, Urban, and suburban.  I think what might be a major hiccup is that there are a lot of single parents out there that want jobs, but school is ending and a lot of summer programs are not going.  I know plenty of people who depend on child care from family members and summer programs for their kids so they can work.  Without that infrastructure in place they're having a hard time getting back to work.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1265 on: May 07, 2021, 08:13:51 AM »

We're there.  Although I'd tweak your wording to 'discouraging'.  And couple this with any remaining ill advised foreclosure/eviction moratoriums for the 'perfect storm'.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1266 on: May 07, 2021, 08:18:04 AM »
Goodness, on expectations of 1 million we couldn’t even muster 300k.

At least feds won’t as likely to raise rates.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1267 on: May 07, 2021, 08:21:23 AM »
I saw this yesterday.  Will affect my company negatively on lead times but positively on sales figures.

Copper is ‘the new oil’ and low inventories could push it to $20,000 per ton, analysts say
PUBLISHED THU, MAY 6 2021 12:37 AM EDT
UPDATED THU, MAY 6 2021 11:50 AM EDT
Elliot Smith
@ELLIOTSMITHCNBC
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/05/06/copper-is-the-new-oil-and-could-hit-20000-per-ton-analysts-say.html

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1268 on: May 07, 2021, 08:26:54 AM »
And they revised March numbers over 200k lower!?!?!? What a mess

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1269 on: May 07, 2021, 08:44:55 AM »

Also interesting to note is how projections could be that far off.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1270 on: May 07, 2021, 08:45:13 AM »

There's a million jobs out there.  Today.  Anyone who wants to work tonight's fish fry shift can.  We are so far from 'You don't work, you don't eat' it's unprecedented.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1271 on: May 07, 2021, 08:51:07 AM »
There's a million jobs out there.  Today.  Anyone who wants to work tonight's fish fry shift can.  We are so far from 'You don't work, you don't eat' it's unprecedented.

While I don't totally disagree, not all jobs are created equal.  ;)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1272 on: May 07, 2021, 09:20:43 AM »
While I don't totally disagree, not all jobs are created equal.  ;)

Of course not.  And as it should be.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1273 on: May 07, 2021, 09:52:34 AM »

Absolutely and to Hards point earlier, it seems everywhere I go there are hiring signs posted.  There was a big segment on local news last night saying how hard it is for companies to find employees which for me is an obvious sign that people simply don’t need the money right now because of all the stimulus being pumped out combined with rent/mortgage moratoriums, not having to pay student loans, etc...

We’ve unfortunately created this delayed timeline of folks returning to work through unnecessary policy (wouldn’t call it bad) just not needed.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1274 on: May 07, 2021, 09:59:20 AM »
Absolutely and to Hards point earlier, it seems everywhere I go there are hiring signs posted.  There was a big segment on local news last night saying how hard it is for companies to find employees which for me is an obvious sign that people simply don’t need the money right now because of all the stimulus being pumped out combined with rent/mortgage moratoriums, not having to pay student loans, etc...

We’ve unfortunately created this delayed timeline of folks returning to work through unnecessary policy (wouldn’t call it bad) just not needed.

I read an article in the WSJ that listed the benefits as a reason, but not the only one. Many don’t feel comfortable going back until Covid is more under control or vaccinated. Many have child care issues with schools still being remote. Many are holding out for jobs in their industry rather than setting for a job at McDonalds.

Maybe the benefits are making the above reasons easier to justify, but I don’t think we can point solely to the benefits as the issue.

feedback