[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID Economy  (Read 230520 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: COVID Economy
« Reply #350 on: October 09, 2020, 09:18:00 AM »
Mitch McConnell says a coronavirus stimulus package is ‘unlikely in the next three weeks’

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/09/coronavirus-stimulus-mitch-mcconnell-says-relief-deal-unlikely-soon.html

Congress likely will not pass another coronavirus stimulus package before the Nov. 3 election, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Friday.

The White House and Democrats have restarted last-ditch talks toward an elusive relief deal. Speaking in his home state of Kentucky, the Republican said “the situation’s kind of murky” as negotiators try to “elbow for political advantage.”

“I’d like to see us rise above that like we did back in March and April, but I think that’s unlikely in the next three weeks,” he said.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #351 on: October 09, 2020, 10:47:55 AM »
Any stimulus should go to individuals. Not corporations/business/industries.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #352 on: October 09, 2020, 10:59:08 AM »
Any stimulus should go to individuals. Not corporations/business/industries.

I would add state governments to that list.   Otherwise: Doom.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #353 on: October 09, 2020, 11:18:42 AM »
About a half-hour ago, Trump tweeted that talks are progressing and urged negotiators to "Go Big!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1314593632733847552

He saw that he was getting blamed. He also wants the markets to keep going up these next few weeks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #354 on: October 10, 2020, 07:54:06 AM »
Ministry that spent $180k at Trump DC Hotel in 2018, receives $350k-$1 Million PPP loan in 2020.

https://twitter.com/Z_Everson/status/1314909063919132674?s=19

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #355 on: October 10, 2020, 03:33:49 PM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #356 on: October 10, 2020, 04:06:18 PM »
Republicans in the Senate have problems with White House offer on stimulus.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/520489-senate-republicans-rip-new-white-house-coronavirus-proposal?fbclid=IwAR1TngesqpesMjfUTNr9qNH2xk-qI8S6wpTcn-AahZ0kNcuie_rSvSJxW8k

Trump is throwing a Hail Mary before the election, and the Senate Republicans are taking a more long-term (traditionally conservative) view.

The sad part is that there are some truly needy people who are caught in the middle.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #357 on: October 10, 2020, 04:46:10 PM »
Trump wants money that he can dole out. House Dens want the money to be designated for specific things. McConnell wants none of it - just another conservative SCOTUS while he still has a president under his sway.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #358 on: October 15, 2020, 08:48:12 AM »
From the NYT:

We already know, thanks to Bob Woodward’s book, that Trump was fully aware of how severe the coronavirus was back in February, even as he was publicly downplaying it and lying about it for months.

As it happens, Larry Kudlow and other senior White House economists that month repeatedly warned board members at the conservative Hoover Institution — many of them Republican donors — about the dangers of the virus during closed-door meetings, at a time when some of those same officials were giving rosy predictions to the public.

A hedge fund consultant who attended the meetings wrote a memo that circulated among hedge fund investors, with one clear message: that a devastating virus outbreak in the United States was increasingly likely.

Or, as one major investor who was briefed on the memo reacted, “Short everything!”

The information from the administration helped give elite traders a financial advantage by offering them a sobering economic assessment during a chaotic stretch in late February, when the public was struggling to understand the severity of the crisis.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #360 on: October 15, 2020, 09:46:08 AM »
From the NYT:

We already know, thanks to Bob Woodward’s book, that Trump was fully aware of how severe the coronavirus was back in February, even as he was publicly downplaying it and lying about it for months.

As it happens, Larry Kudlow and other senior White House economists that month repeatedly warned board members at the conservative Hoover Institution — many of them Republican donors — about the dangers of the virus during closed-door meetings, at a time when some of those same officials were giving rosy predictions to the public.

A hedge fund consultant who attended the meetings wrote a memo that circulated among hedge fund investors, with one clear message: that a devastating virus outbreak in the United States was increasingly likely.

Or, as one major investor who was briefed on the memo reacted, “Short everything!”

The information from the administration helped give elite traders a financial advantage by offering them a sobering economic assessment during a chaotic stretch in late February, when the public was struggling to understand the severity of the crisis.
And the punishment for trading on inside information will be?

Yeah, I know.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #361 on: October 15, 2020, 10:02:15 AM »
And the punishment for trading on inside information will be?

Yeah, I know.

I don't think this violates insider trading laws.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #362 on: October 15, 2020, 10:29:53 AM »

I don't think this violates insider trading laws.
You may be right, I am no expert on it. They were trading on information not publicly available, yet I do not know if it meets the letter of the law. Either way, it shows how unnatural carnal knowledgeed up the system is.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #363 on: October 15, 2020, 10:44:04 AM »
You may be right, I am no expert on it. They were trading on information not publicly available, yet I do not know if it meets the letter of the law. Either way, it shows how unnatural carnal knowledgeed up the system is.

I know they wouldn't be charged for it, but...

Were the officials paid, either directly or as donations, for their attendance and information. If so, could you get them on federal bribery charges. Disclosing non-public information for personal benefit, then lying about the information in public.

• All American
« Reply #364 on: October 15, 2020, 10:51:15 AM »

Insider trading laws are about company insiders trading on information about that company, or a company they have a relationship with.  Not about information shared that impacts the economy or markets at large.

At least this is my understanding.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #365 on: October 15, 2020, 12:58:07 PM »
Illegal or not, to give the 0.1% privileged information about a deadly virus just so they can make money off of it, while telling the 99.9% the exact opposite, is about as unethical and corrupt as it gets.

• All American
« Reply #366 on: October 15, 2020, 01:18:53 PM »
Illegal or not, to give the 0.1% privileged information about a deadly virus just so they can make money off of it, while telling the 99.9% the exact opposite, is about as unethical and corrupt as it gets.

Oh I don't disagree with that.

And it's not just giving the information that's unethical, it's the decision to profit off of it instead of spreading the news far and wide.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #367 on: October 15, 2020, 01:48:38 PM »

Insider trading laws are about company insiders trading on information about that company, or a company they have a relationship with.  Not about information shared that impacts the economy or markets at large.

At least this is my understanding.
Pretty sure Martha Stewart wasn't a company insider when she get pinged. Also, if I tell my buddy about good or bad news about to come out and he trades on the information, he is guilty of insider trading despite not being an insider at the company.

• All American
« Reply #368 on: October 15, 2020, 02:43:27 PM »
Pretty sure Martha Stewart wasn't a company insider when she get pinged. Also, if I tell my buddy about good or bad news about to come out and he trades on the information, he is guilty of insider trading despite not being an insider at the company.

But the tip she received was about a specific company, not the economy overall.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #369 on: October 15, 2020, 02:49:42 PM »

But the tip she received was about a specific company, not the economy overall.

Right, your buddy who works on Capitol Hill and hears something about legislation being passed or the weekly unemployment numbers and tells you is different than working at public company and tipping you off about earnings beating/missing, or leaking that a scandal/merger deal is happening days before it does

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #370 on: October 15, 2020, 03:41:17 PM »
Right, your buddy who works on Capitol Hill and hears something about legislation being passed or the weekly unemployment numbers and tells you is different than working at public company and tipping you off about earnings beating/missing, or leaking that a scandal/merger deal is happening days before it does

Yep. The way I like to explain the law is to distinguish between 'company-specific' inside information and more general information that might affect multiple companies.

If a person gets material non-public information about a specific company and trades on it, it's likely insider trading. If he gets material non-public information about the overall economy or a piece of legislation and trades on it, it isn't.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #371 on: October 15, 2020, 05:43:51 PM »
FWIW, the SEC's definition of insider trading:

Illegal insider trading refers generally to buying or selling a security, in breach of a fiduciary duty or other relationship of trust and confidence, on the basis of material, nonpublic information about the security. Insider trading violations may also include "tipping" such information, securities trading by the person "tipped," and securities trading by those who misappropriate such information.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #372 on: October 15, 2020, 06:06:58 PM »
FWIW, the SEC's definition of insider trading:

Illegal insider trading refers generally to buying or selling a security, in breach of a fiduciary duty or other relationship of trust and confidence, on the basis of material, nonpublic information about the security. Insider trading violations may also include "tipping" such information, securities trading by the person "tipped," and securities trading by those who misappropriate such information.

Hmmm.

Lock them up! Lock them up!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #373 on: October 15, 2020, 11:17:17 PM »
Give money to the individuals who need it.

Ideally, monthly checks of 1200+ to those making less than 125k (or other set amount) until the "end" of the pandemic.

Pelosi needs to accept the deal with minor changes. But politics>policy in washington.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #374 on: October 16, 2020, 09:14:21 AM »
Give money to the individuals who need it.

Ideally, monthly checks of 1200+ to those making less than 125k (or other set amount) until the "end" of the pandemic.

Pelosi needs to accept the deal with minor changes. But politics>policy in washington.

I'm not sure Pelosi is the hold up here.  McConnell is and has been.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mitch-mcconnell-torpedoes-stimulus-package-180157058.html