collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Running Thread  (Read 38667 times)

GBPhoenix1993

• Walk-On
Re: Running Thread
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2020, 08:22:11 PM »
I’ve never understood how people get into running. That’s about the biggest torcher I can think of. Have never experienced a runner’s high in my life.

For me, once I get to the point that I'm in shape enough to jog at an easy pace for an hour without tiring and there's good scenery, I genuinely love it.

I am not a natural runner.  I start out by running maybe only 10 minutes 3 times a week.  I gradually add 3-5 minutes more per session each week over the course of time to eventually work up to the point that it starts to be enjoyable.  Since I am not a natural and am 50 years old,  it takes me awhile to get into shape.
At present I'm only doing 33 minutes a shot so I have some work to do to get to the point that I start getting "high" from it.  I think it will come when the weather here in Wisconsin is nicer.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 08:31:14 PM by GBPhoenix1993 »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2020, 08:39:10 PM »
Long time runner.  Don't go very far.  Don't go very fast, but it's how I prefer to start my day at least 5 days per week. 

My dog is my jogging partner.  She makes sure we get frequent little rests.  I appreciate that.  She also likes to go fast occasionally,  so we do our own interval training... run, walk, pee (her not me), jog, walk, sniff (her again), run, etc.  I don't really care how far I go or for how long.  We go until we are tired.  Without her I would run much less frequently. 

My best advice for anyone carrying a few extra kilos... several companies make "fat boy runners" which they market as stability running shoes.  I've been using New Balance 1260 for a long time, and it's predecessors before that.  Whenever I try something different - even when I tried light weight shoes for travel and did 5k in them - I felt like my whole body had been hit with a hammer. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2020, 11:17:57 PM »
Agreed on the stress relief.

I've had two halves cancelled and am with you on waiting to sign up until races get underway again. Hoping to do the Twin Cities marathon in fall but I have my doubts.

I'm figuring on 2021 for most races to really start happening again at this point but I'd love to be wrong :).  I'm seeing some August races canceled now so I'm not feeling real hopeful.  I think I'll be a lot more appreciative of being able to run races once they start up again.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2020, 10:05:13 AM »
I'm figuring on 2021 for most races to really start happening again at this point but I'd love to be wrong :).  I'm seeing some August races canceled now so I'm not feeling real hopeful.  I think I'll be a lot more appreciative of being able to run races once they start up again.

Do a virtual race for a fundraiser.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2020, 02:07:16 PM »
I'll probably end up doing a virtual race but am really struggling to get excited about it.

Sounds like we'd have 3 or 4 for a running group. Any others?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2020, 04:55:34 PM »
I will join.  I have done a handful of half-marathons.  My knee gave out on the last one about halfway through and I finished just as they were starting to pack up.  The pity claps I got were humiliating.  That and being passed by a woman with the name "Minerva" on her bib.

That was about two years ago.  As long as I start slow, I am hoping to be okay.  Anyone have pointers on some pre-emptive knee care?  Exercises?  Braces?

For the record, I don't like running at all, but it's a damn efficient means of exercise.  Having good tunage makes a big difference in my case.  Also, I usually train for a particular race, because it has proven to be a good incentive for me.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2020, 05:43:47 PM »
I will join.  I have done a handful of half-marathons.  My knee gave out on the last one about halfway through and I finished just as they were starting to pack up.  The pity claps I got were humiliating.  That and being passed by a woman with the name "Minerva" on her bib.

That was about two years ago.  As long as I start slow, I am hoping to be okay.  Anyone have pointers on some pre-emptive knee care?  Exercises?  Braces?

For the record, I don't like running at all, but it's a damn efficient means of exercise.  Having good tunage makes a big difference in my case.  Also, I usually train for a particular race, because it has proven to be a good incentive for me.

Foam roller and running on grass brought my left knee back from being unable to go two blocks on pavement to actually running again
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2020, 06:48:30 PM »
I'll probably end up doing a virtual race but am really struggling to get excited about it.

Sounds like we'd have 3 or 4 for a running group. Any others?

Virtual races generally don't motivate me.  Each of my marathons that was canceled this spring offered this option but I didn't do that.  I'm also trying do do marathons in all the states though so the virtual one isn't much of an incentive for me as they don't count towards the state goal.

I am doing two free virtual things right now though - Badgerland Striders has one for free for members where you need to run, bike or walk at least 20 minutes everyday for 30 days.  And I signed up for a free virtual half-marathon one for 4 weeks or so - my long training runs are usually 10-13 miles these days so I figured I'd just do the half distance for the long runs for a bit.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2020, 06:50:05 PM »

It might depend on the type of knee issue of course but my chiropractor was a life saver for me when I ran into some knee issues with running a couple years ago.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2020, 08:24:54 PM »

You should try physical therapy.
After my second knee surgery, they had me riding the stationary bike and a lot of stretchy band stuff with knee movements.
It surprisingly worked.
Also, I get Euphylexa shots once a year in my achy knee. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2020, 12:02:22 AM »
Virtual races generally don't motivate me.  Each of my marathons that was canceled this spring offered this option but I didn't do that.  I'm also trying do do marathons in all the states though so the virtual one isn't much of an incentive for me as they don't count towards the state goal.

I am doing two free virtual things right now though - Badgerland Striders has one for free for members where you need to run, bike or walk at least 20 minutes everyday for 30 days.  And I signed up for a free virtual half-marathon one for 4 weeks or so - my long training runs are usually 10-13 miles these days so I figured I'd just do the half distance for the long runs for a bit.

I'm participating in the Badgerland Strider 30 say challenge as well.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2020, 07:58:55 AM »
Like a few others have mentioned, I didn’t start running until my late 30s. Ultimate goal this year was to qualify for Boston. We’ll see if any qualifying marathons take place this Fall. Perhaps Lakefront is most likely. Crowd gatherings are much smaller than the bigger city races and less runners might make it a logistical possibility.
I need to mix up my routes or I tend to get bored. I use Strava to track everything. Other people’s posts keep me motivated.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2020, 09:51:08 AM »
Like a few others have mentioned, I didn’t start running until my late 30s. Ultimate goal this year was to qualify for Boston. We’ll see if any qualifying marathons take place this Fall. Perhaps Lakefront is most likely. Crowd gatherings are much smaller than the bigger city races and less runners might make it a logistical possibility.
I need to mix up my routes or I tend to get bored. I use Strava to track everything. Other people’s posts keep me motivated.

My training app tells me when I am halfway through my run so I can run in any direction I want, and then just turn around and go back the way I came.  It has been a godsend.
Have some patience, FFS.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2020, 03:23:11 PM »
Runners,

How substitutable is biking for running?

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2020, 03:33:51 PM »
Runners,

Always good to mix it up a little bit.  As long as you can get some hills in it can substitute pretty well.  In my experience biking has had more effect on my quads but I can't bike that long.  No matter what seat I get it just hurts the region down south ya know

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2020, 04:01:43 PM »
Runners,

I've done two triathlons (NOT Iron Man ones) and I did no bike riding to prepare.  Just run and swim. 
And biking affects your overall time more than the other two since your riding a bike for much longer a time.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2020, 06:13:29 PM »
I've done two triathlons (NOT Iron Man ones) and I did no bike riding to prepare.  Just run and swim. 
And biking affects your overall time more than the other two since your riding a bike for much longer a time.

Since swimming is my best event, I always thought the swimming portion was way too short.  You could be twice as fast as everyone else in the swimming portion and someone could make up the difference on the bike in a few minutes.

Also, I am not the least bit mechanically inclined, and so the machinery angle to biking always intimidated me.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 07:29:34 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2020, 07:12:45 PM »
I'm participating in the Badgerland Strider 30 say challenge as well.

I run 3-4 times a week and am usually walking everyday so I figured why not join - couldn't beat the price either :).  My biggest issues were figuring out my login for the BLS site and linking my garmin connect to strava but that didn't end up being too bad to setup.

I did my 4th half in the last 4 weeks today for my long training run for the Silver Circle virtual series that was also free to enter.  I think that goes for another week or so and then I'll go back to running anywhere from 9-13 for my long runs each week probably.  I'm having to face the very real possibility that pretty much all races will be canceled for 2020 so I'm going to have to mentally get used to running with no races to train for.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2020, 01:06:30 PM »
I try to run four to five times per week. I'd be in. I use Strava as a tracking app which makes it pretty easy to create and maintain groups, but I'm open to whatever.

Just made a profile on strava can't figure out how to create a new group though.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2020, 01:16:19 PM »
Just made a profile on strava can't figure out how to create a new group though.

I believe you have to do it on the website.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/new

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2020, 01:23:55 PM »
I believe you have to do it on the website.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/new

Cool well here's the club link for anyone interested!

https://www.strava.com/clubs/639792

Lmao went for 3mi after posting but didn't sync the app up! At least my Fitbit won't judge me for awhile
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 01:59:12 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2020, 02:22:30 PM »
Cool well here's the club link for anyone interested!

https://www.strava.com/clubs/639792

Lmao went for 3mi after posting but didn't sync the app up! At least my Fitbit won't judge me for awhile

You can do a manual sync to transfer fitbit over to Strava, but I'm not sure exactly how. You have to download the file from Fitbit's website and upload it to Strava's. If it's worth the effort to you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2020, 02:39:01 PM »
You can do a manual sync to transfer fitbit over to Strava, but I'm not sure exactly how. You have to download the file from Fitbit's website and upload it to Strava's. If it's worth the effort to you.

Eh I'll just start tomorrow
Maigh Eo for Sam

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2020, 06:32:52 PM »
 I'm having to face the very real possibility that pretty much all races will be canceled for 2020 so I'm going to have to mentally get used to running with no races to train for.
[/quote]
I’m usually in the same boat: need a future race to keep me motivated.
Last summer I joined The Milwaukee Running Group (OMG) and keeping in touch or following them on Strava has kept me focused. I definitely have missed the group runs over the past month and a half.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2020, 07:18:51 PM »
I'm having to face the very real possibility that pretty much all races will be canceled for 2020 so I'm going to have to mentally get used to running with no races to train for.

I’m usually in the same boat: need a future race to keep me motivated.
Last summer I joined The Milwaukee Running Group (OMG) and keeping in touch or following them on Strava has kept me focused. I definitely have missed the group runs over the past month and a half.

I've done a number of the BLS runs for the Lakefront Marathon the last few years even when I was running different marathons.  I enjoyed the organized runs with volunteers handing out water.  And it's a nice change of pace from my usual running routes.  And I have a friend I sometimes run with 1-2 times a month and I miss being able to run with her.  I was supposed to be leaving this Friday with her to go to Lincoln, NE for my 2nd spring marathon...

feedback