[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bailey declares for draft  (Read 80598 times)

Viper

• All American
Re: Bailey declares for draft
« Reply #275 on: May 22, 2020, 08:12:57 PM »
He's just a guy. If the team's gonna suck next year I'd rather see Oso and Lewis than watch Bailey fade in and out of games.
Im with you. Soft, inconsistent. Radio color man Tony Smith often pointed out during games that Bailey was rushed on the shot, bad footwork. Made some plays, sure. Decent game now & then, but just a guy.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #276 on: May 22, 2020, 08:15:24 PM »
Weird decision overall. I'm more clueless on this one then Blue.

If he leaves now,  he ends up in Europe.

If he leaves in two years,  he ends up in Europe but with two less years of salary.

If his goal is to make a living playing ball,  then it's not a bad plan.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #277 on: May 22, 2020, 08:15:59 PM »
Whatd you really expect. Sadly it was lookin like a bubble ncca at best team. Who knows when we will have a good start to.finish year again. 7 years and counting

5 years to judge is gunna turn into 10 real quick.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #278 on: May 22, 2020, 08:21:46 PM »
Two bad Woj wasted tyme and effort heer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #279 on: May 22, 2020, 08:25:59 PM »

If he leaves in two years,  he ends up in Europe but with two less years of salary.

If he leaves in two years (at 25) and hasn’t significantly improved, Europe (despite his family pedigree/connections) might no longer present an option.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #280 on: May 22, 2020, 08:29:19 PM »
He can always go back and finish his education I guess.  No harm in taking a shot

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #281 on: May 22, 2020, 08:30:17 PM »
He can always go back and finish his education I guess.  No harm in taking a shot

There are very few high level d1 athletes who are in anyway concerned with education .

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #282 on: May 22, 2020, 08:39:53 PM »
Two bad Woj wasted tyme and effort heer, hey?
\

Trust the process.  Respect the process.  Everything is going according to plan as illuminated in the Golden Power Point.  It's all about trajectory.

At any rate, Woj probably has three more years here.  Dawson, Oso, Lewis will probably determine his fate.  Brendan being gone will actually help these guys get more game reps to build for the future.  Let's hope 6 years of head coaching experience will now have Wojo up to the task.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #283 on: May 22, 2020, 08:42:10 PM »
Thinks he is better than he really is. His game has lots of holes in it.
Mentioned earlier--Next Man Up.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #284 on: May 22, 2020, 08:42:38 PM »

I don’t think he thinks he’s better than he is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #285 on: May 22, 2020, 08:48:49 PM »

This is what's concerning...I'm not nearly confident enough in Cain taking on a larger role, and as talented as the Freshman are, they are Freshman. I had felt they were still one good piece away from being a SOLID tournament team(bubble as currently constructed with Bailey)..Now, without him, I don't see them sniffing the tourney. I hope Wojo has something figured out(probably hoping for an Etienne reclass, but if he doesn't hope he has a back up plan) or it's going to be an ugly year I think, but I'd love for them to prove me wrong.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #286 on: May 22, 2020, 09:12:46 PM »
I think this is his best move as age is a factor. Dad can probably get him somewhere overseas. Good luck Brendan

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #287 on: May 22, 2020, 09:29:18 PM »
7 years and counting

And the beat goes on.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #288 on: May 22, 2020, 09:40:55 PM »
Totally understandable move. I wish he were coming back, but not stunned at all.

This also is why folks shouldn't have been worrying about us signing too many guys. ABR.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #289 on: May 22, 2020, 09:44:35 PM »
This is what's concerning...I'm not nearly confident enough in Cain taking on a larger role, and as talented as the Freshman are, they are Freshman. I had felt they were still one good piece away from being a SOLID tournament team(bubble as currently constructed with Bailey)..Now, without him, I don't see them sniffing the tourney. I hope Wojo has something figured out(probably hoping for an Etienne reclass, but if he doesn't hope he has a back up plan) or it's going to be an ugly year I think, but I'd love for them to prove me wrong.

Bailey wasn't any better than Cain - he just got the starting nod and a longer leash.  Hard to know how players will develop this summer with COVID and not having traditional access to training/gym, but time for Jamal to step up and seize the huge opportunity in front of him.  I think he'll be up to the task.  High character, hard-working kid with a very good athleticism and good shot.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #290 on: May 22, 2020, 09:50:31 PM »
Not so surprised, with his age and the freshmen coming in that play his position. He would likely start, but could ultimately see lesser minutes. He doesn’t want, at his age, to lose a year to transfer. And, he dad may have connections. Seems like a decent time to move on. I wish him the best, and that he gets a degree (preferably from MU) in the future.

On another note, I hope his departure offers more playing time to the new guys than it does to Cain. I’m in the group that believes that he’s already reached his ceiling...an athletic, sporadically-adequate basketball player. I still see Jamal as a small step up from Trend Blackledge.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #291 on: May 22, 2020, 11:34:02 PM »
Im with you. Soft, inconsistent. Radio color man Tony Smith often pointed out during games that Bailey was rushed on the shot, bad footwork. Made some plays, sure. Decent game now & then, but just a guy.

Agree with this analysis.  He had a golden opportunity with Hauser’s both leaving and was a major disappointment.  Hurts depth next year, but nothing other than that.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #292 on: May 22, 2020, 11:39:47 PM »
Not so surprised, with his age and the freshmen coming in that play his position. He would likely start, but could ultimately see lesser minutes. He doesn’t want, at his age, to lose a year to transfer. And, he dad may have connections. Seems like a decent time to move on. I wish him the best, and that he gets a degree (preferably from MU) in the future.

On another note, I hope his departure offers more playing time to the new guys than it does to Cain. I’m in the group that believes that he’s already reached his ceiling...an athletic, sporadically-adequate basketball player. I still see Jamal as a small step up from Trend Blackledge.

If Carton plays then Cain can be an asset as he is a good wing shooter, better than Bailey.  Just has not figured out how to put the ball on the floor without turning it
over.  Carton can penetrate and dish.  Cain has been through the Big East and is a senior.  He might surprise.  I can see Akanno getting some minutes now at the 3, or playing
3 guards.  Koby, Carton, Akanno, Garcia and Theo.   Now if Lewis is ready, Garcia could play the 3.  Lots of moving parts.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #293 on: May 22, 2020, 11:52:45 PM »
Agree with this analysis.  He had a golden opportunity with Hauser’s both leaving and was a major disappointment.  Hurts depth next year, but nothing other than that.

I would not describe his performance as a major disappointment. Just lacking consistency. He never became a guy that could get the numbers we needed from him on a game-by-game basis. I like Dawson starting at the 4 and Cain at 3 right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #294 on: May 22, 2020, 11:57:22 PM »
I’m sure I will be in the minority here, but I don’t think this will hurt us that much. We are stacked at his position with the new players, and let’s be honest, he has a ton of potential but he was clearly worse than Jamal last year.

I’m excited to see Jamal finally get extended minutes.

Also does anyone think this opens the door to another grad transfer like that guy from Indiana? Maybe we’ll see the program connected with more transfers starting ASAP
Cain had a couple of games last year when he was hitting his three point shot, but he was no where near as good as Bailey.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #295 on: May 23, 2020, 12:01:03 AM »

Exactly.  I don't like it, but that's reality.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #296 on: May 23, 2020, 12:20:10 AM »
Earlier in the season, I was wondering if Cain was as good or better than Bailey. However, when they both started in the game that Markus missed it became very obvious to me that Bailey was the better player. Seeing them on the floor together showed that Bailey was the better. Of course Cain was playing small forward, but to me it was not even  close.

I am sorry to see Bailey leave, but it gives more time to the freshmen. I like Cain, but he is not the future.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #297 on: May 23, 2020, 01:03:46 AM »
Now, without him, I don't see them sniffing the tourney. I hope Wojo has something figured out(probably hoping for an Etienne reclass, but if he doesn't hope he has a back up plan) or it's going to be an ugly year I think, but I'd love for them to prove me wrong.
Not trying to start a tangent here, just genuinely curious, what would it take to “prove you wrong”? Bubble team? 9 seed? Ranked? I guess what is your definition of ugly year?

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #298 on: May 23, 2020, 05:51:41 AM »
Bailey can certainly make money somewhere.  Why not make some money playing a game while you're young if you can?  I would.  If he develops, he certainly has the size and stroke to make it at higher levels.  Could be a Jamil or Juan situation where he fills a slot on a bad team for a while in 2-3 years.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

muguru

• All American
« Reply #299 on: May 23, 2020, 07:16:37 AM »
Not trying to start a tangent here, just genuinely curious, what would it take to “prove you wrong”? Bubble team? 9 seed? Ranked? I guess what is your definition of ugly year?

Comfortably in the tournament(with a good enough seed to not be in Dayton)..By comfortably I mean a lock come Selection Sunday. No bubble conversation. Unfortunately, with this years group I'm seeing a team that doesn't even sniff the tournament. Again, thought they were a bubble team once they landed Carton and thought they still lacked one more really good piece(to be a comfortable tournament team). Now without Bailey(who granted was nothing special, but still a starter), unless something with the roster(that's impactful) changes between now and tip off, I think they might be around a .500 team.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:23:57 AM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

feedback