[Today at 06:01:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bailey declares for draft  (Read 82034 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Bailey declares for draft
« Reply #300 on: May 23, 2020, 07:25:25 AM »
Bailey can certainly make money somewhere.  Why not make some money playing a game while you're young if you can?  I would.  If he develops, he certainly has the size and stroke to make it at higher levels.  Could be a Jamil or Juan situation where he fills a slot on a bad team for a while in 2-3 years.

If Juan Anderson can make the league, no reason to think Bailey can't at some point.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #301 on: May 23, 2020, 07:26:29 AM »
Who would want to play in Europe?
I live part time in Bergamo, Italy.

1.  No MONEY $$$$$$
2.  Nobody cares about basketball
3.  It's like playing for a Division III in America
4.  You like opera and want to see the world
5.   You like touring by bus
6.    You get to do missionary work for your church
7.    For a career in basketball, perhaps.  Come back and work as a coach, perhaps.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #302 on: May 23, 2020, 07:34:30 AM »

1.  No MONEY $$$$$$
2.  Nobody cares about basketball
3.  It's like playing for a Division III in America
4.  You like opera and want to see the world
5.   You like touring by bus
6.    You get to do missionary work for your church
7.    For a career in basketball, perhaps.  Come back and work as a coach, perhaps.

This isn't accurate on a number of levels.  The top players in Italy's top league make six figures and is one of the better leagues in Europe.  Much higher quality than D3.

Bailey won't be in that league though.  Not good enough.  He'll either be in the G-League or toiling away in Armenia hoping his paycheck doesn't bounce.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #303 on: May 23, 2020, 07:50:34 AM »
Good luck to Bailey. 

I'm surprised at the number of low level prospects turning pro during a global pandemic.  The major pro sports are struggling to navigate these waters.  My hunch is lower leagues won't have seasons and some of these leagues might never come back.  I don't foresee many opportunities for players like Bailey.

As for how this impacts Marquette, Bailey is only a slight step up from Cain.  Bailey is loss from a numbers perspective and we'll never know if he would have made a leap.  But between Cain, more PT for Lewis & Oso, and 3 guard lineups with McEwen at the 3, MU can replace Bailey's production.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #304 on: May 23, 2020, 08:18:15 AM »
This is a great summary of BB.  He's very replaceable. Good luck to him.

Good luck to Bailey. 

I'm surprised at the number of low level prospects turning pro during a global pandemic.  The major pro sports are struggling to navigate these waters.  My hunch is lower leagues won't have seasons and some of these leagues might never come back.  I don't foresee many opportunities for players like Bailey.

As for how this impacts Marquette, Bailey is only a slight step up from Cain.  Bailey is loss from a numbers perspective and we'll never know if he would have made a leap.  But between Cain, more PT for Lewis & Oso, and 3 guard lineups with McEwen at the 3, MU can replace Bailey's production.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #305 on: May 23, 2020, 08:35:49 AM »
Worst part of Bailey leaving is only 10 guys on scholarship. If Carton doesn’t get a waiver, depth and experience is really stressed then. Then you live in fear of a player or two going down with an injury, which is almost inevitable over course of a season.  It’s a tenuous situation right now.

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #306 on: May 23, 2020, 08:59:01 AM »
Next year looking like O’Neill’s with his first recruiting class. What does Wojo do to chase these guys away? Not missing much anyways. So many years into the Wojo era, still no wins in tourney - none in the immediate horizon. Still relying on transfers. Sad!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #307 on: May 23, 2020, 09:07:33 AM »
Worst part of Bailey leaving is only 10 guys on scholarship. If Carton doesn’t get a waiver, depth and experience is really stressed then. Then you live in fear of a player or two going down with an injury, which is almost inevitable over course of a season.  It’s a tenuous situation right now.

This is why I have said all along, they still need(ed) one more good player to be a viable tournament team and to hedge on Carton not getting a waiver and Bailey leaving(which he has now). Unfortunately, unless there is a surprise 2020 reclass or a big time transfer still hits the market(doubtful) that really good player simply isn't available. Though I am quite intrigued by PJ Horne who hit the transfer market late last night...grad transfer so immediately eligible. 35% 3 point shooter, not spectacular but not significantly less than Bailey.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #308 on: May 23, 2020, 09:17:55 AM »

1.  No MONEY $$$$$$

It's not hard to earn six figures in the better Euro leagues or Austrailia. It's often tax-free and players' housing costs are usually covered.
Whether BB can land in one of the better leagues remains to be seen, but if he does, he'll earn good money.
It goes without saying that he'll make a lot more going pro now than returning to MU. And it's not as if he's going to rocket up draft boards as a 23-year-old by having a good junior season.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 09:19:26 AM by Pakuni »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #309 on: May 23, 2020, 09:22:30 AM »
I wish Bailey were coming back. Those who just dismiss his departure as a numbers thing have pretty short memories. They have forgotten how much Vander improved between his soph and junior seasons, how much Junior improved between his junior and senior seasons, how much Rowsey improved between his junior and senior seasons, etc etc etc. A lot of players improve. Some don't, but to assume that Bailey reached his peak last year is just silly.

As for next season for our Warriors, I guess we should just book 16-15 and 9th place. Why even bother watching or cheering or hoping. The computers are always right, so why even waste our time?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #310 on: May 23, 2020, 09:27:21 AM »
Y'all are assumin' Europe. Could bee playin' four da fookin' Wuhan Weasels, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #311 on: May 23, 2020, 09:32:05 AM »
I wish Bailey were coming back. Those who just dismiss his departure as a numbers thing have pretty short memories. They have forgotten how much Vander improved between his soph and junior seasons, how much Junior improved between his junior and senior seasons, how much Rowsey improved between his junior and senior seasons, etc etc etc. A lot of players improve. Some don't, but to assume that Bailey reached his peak last year is just silly.?

It's not so much a matter of whether he'll improve or not. I think he likely would. But he's 23 in a few weeks, so any improvement short of astronomical likely wouldn't move the needle on his NBA draft stock or professional prospects. Pro scouts aren't going to be wowed by a 23-year-old outplaying kids 3-5 years younger.
So, his choices were either to 1) leave now, earn a little money this year and try to grind his way through the lower levels of professional ball or 2) stay another year, earn no money and then try to grind his way through the lower levels of professional ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #312 on: May 23, 2020, 09:34:35 AM »
Y'all are assumin' Europe. Could bee playin' four da fookin' Wuhan Weasels, aina?

Not likely good enough.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #313 on: May 23, 2020, 09:45:42 AM »
My biggest issue with Bailey, much like it was with Sacar was the maddening inconsistency. Show up big time for a game here or there, then just disappear for the rest. So while both of them improved during their time at MU, it was largely hidden behind the inconsistencies.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #314 on: May 23, 2020, 10:03:53 AM »
Lol T-rank is not gospel, man. Just let it go. We will be fine

Triggered

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #315 on: May 23, 2020, 10:06:53 AM »
Though I am quite intrigued by PJ Horne who hit the transfer market late last night...grad transfer so immediately eligible. 35% 3 point shooter, not spectacular but not significantly less than Bailey.

^yes, please to Horne

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #316 on: May 23, 2020, 10:23:22 AM »
^yes, please to Horne

I agree. He earned some decent minutes on good Virginia Tech teams. Became a regular rotation piece as a freshman and was getting a lot of time as a sophomore before his injury. While he's average from an efficiency perspective, where he excels fits the team well. Pick and Roll, Spot-ups, Catch and Shoot, and on the other end he's an excellent PnR defender. Worth a look as we now could use another contributor on the wing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #317 on: May 23, 2020, 10:55:12 AM »
It's not so much a matter of whether he'll improve or not. I think he likely would. But he's 23 in a few weeks, so any improvement short of astronomical likely wouldn't move the needle on his NBA draft stock or professional prospects. Pro scouts aren't going to be wowed by a 23-year-old outplaying kids 3-5 years younger.
So, his choices were either to 1) leave now, earn a little money this year and try to grind his way through the lower levels of professional ball or 2) stay another year, earn no money and then try to grind his way through the lower levels of professional ball.

I agree, Pak. These are 2 different issues. I don't blame Bailey for leaving for the very reason you state. All I said is that I wish, for MU's sake, that he were coming back because I think he likely would have been better than last season and our team could have used his skills.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #318 on: May 23, 2020, 10:59:14 AM »
In Europe he's a 2nd division or bad league player at best.  China wants stars so no chance there.  Middle east, Philippines, Japan, SE Asia are possibilities.  These guys get housing plus $3-5k/month during the season.  Not going to get rich but get paid to play the game.  Australia is another place he'd fit but the money there is also small unless you're one of the top 3 players on the team and he would not be. 

You can earn more by doing summer camps and private coaching and stuff like that.  It's not an easy life.  I know a few guys who did it for a few years.  Most end up leveraging some connection into a sales job or into coaching if they want a few more years of travel and bad pay. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #319 on: May 23, 2020, 11:04:58 AM »
I don’t think money is a gigantic issue for Bailey.

I also think there are plenty of options to make “enough” money for guys who were good enough to play in high major basketball. There are plenty of D2 and D3 kids who are able to play professionally overseas after they graduate. I mean look at some of the “all star” professional teams Marquette has played on their overseas exhibition games that we beat by like 60. He’ll have plenty of options to play. He’s much better than just about all those guys.

And if he’s not making enough to live I feel confident he has enough family connections to come home and get some kind of entry level job either coaching or administrative if he wants to.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:07:09 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #320 on: May 23, 2020, 11:37:49 AM »
Bailey is the exact type of player that shows why NIL is needed. If he could make money as one of the faces of the program for the next two years, he might not have to chase dollars overseas. I'm not even sure his standard of living will be that much better playing in Europe, but the allure of an actual paycheck could be mitigated with donors willing to persuade him to stick around.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #321 on: May 23, 2020, 11:45:28 AM »
Bailey is the exact type of player that shows why NIL is needed. If he could make money as one of the faces of the program for the next two years, he might not have to chase dollars overseas. I'm not even sure his standard of living will be that much better playing in Europe, but the allure of an actual paycheck could be mitigated with donors willing to persuade him to stick around.

I don’t disagree with the notion.  In Bailey’s case, I simply think it’s age
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #322 on: May 23, 2020, 11:47:48 AM »

I’m pretty sure its the Wuhan Bats.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #323 on: May 23, 2020, 12:00:03 PM »
I don’t disagree with the notion.  In Bailey’s case, I simply think it’s age

If there was the ability to give him a paycheck and he was able to put more in the bank by staying than he does by leaving, I think Marquette would have a strong case to keep him. Especially as a likely featured player on the team. That would allow him to increase his worth now and make him a more valuable commodity when he enters the professional ranks.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #324 on: May 23, 2020, 12:03:36 PM »
BB seemed to give all for MU. I wish him all the best. To think he's a money making player at MU speaks to the sad state of things at MU. I truly hope Wojo earns an extention but it's beginning to look like the beginning of the end of his time.