collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Protests  (Read 75544 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Protests
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2020, 08:15:05 PM »
Extra credit assignment:

Compare and contrast the police reaction to the re-open protestors vs the George Floyd protestors.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2020, 08:52:10 PM »
https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/5/26/1947872/-KY-Governor-Beshear-D-amn-Right-Responds-to-Being-Burned-in-Effigy-You-WANT-to-Hear-This

Governor Beshear’s response to the protester who hung him in effigy.
The protester was identified and fired, also.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2020, 09:24:48 PM »
Congrats, hoopy 2, you are Scoop's reigning champion of false equivalence. As well as pretending to be somebody you're not.

A quid pro quo is a quid pro quo.  Whether to help your son or to help your political career.  Serious partisan goggles not to understand or recognize that.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2020, 10:02:39 PM »
A quid pro quo is a quid pro quo.  Whether to help your son or to help your political career.  Serious partisan goggles not to understand or recognize that.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2020, 07:01:32 AM »
I find myself where I usually do when protests ramp up.   I appreciate and agree with the principle and the outrage.   I don't agree with the method of rioting, burning, and looting.  Undercuts whatever argument you are trying to make.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2020, 07:51:15 AM »
Extra credit assignment:

Compare and contrast the police reaction to the re-open protestors vs the George Floyd protestors.

this aged well...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2020, 08:05:50 AM »
https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/5/26/1947872/-KY-Governor-Beshear-D-amn-Right-Responds-to-Being-Burned-in-Effigy-You-WANT-to-Hear-This

Governor Beshear’s response to the protester who hung him in effigy.
The protester was identified and fired, also.

I wish our president ever was that eloquent and spot-on during these last 40 months.

Even one time in 40 months would have been nice.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2020, 11:21:50 AM »
Big shock .... conservative special interest groups are pulling the strings on the "Reopen" protests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3hFfbIXpg4&feature=youtu.be

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2020, 12:09:40 PM »
I find myself where I usually do when protests ramp up.   I appreciate and agree with the principle and the outrage.   I don't agree with the method of rioting, burning, and looting.  Undercuts whatever argument you are trying to make.

I agree. The riots are now about the rioters.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2020, 04:52:50 PM »

I struggle with how much the bolded is true, and how much we just want it to be true.   Yes, attention quickly turns to the "method of rioting, burning, and looting" - but how much of that is in good faith vs how much of that was always going to happen anyway?  Whether peaceful or not, these protests are demanding systemic changes that the white community does not want to provide, and its a conversation we've been having (or not having) for decades.  Why would we think that the result would be any better if the method were less destructive?  This country got its panties all the way up its ass at pro athletes kneeling during the national anthem.  In 2018, we couldn't believe Chicago demonstrations had the gall to shut down traffic.  I'm suspicious that popular attention wouldn't have turned to the "method" of protest by now, regardless of what that method was.  Or in the alternative, to not get that negative attention, that the method wouldn't have to be ignorable altogether.

Take MLK for example.  I wonder how he would be viewed (both in his day and today) without his civil rights contemporaries who were less tethered to principles of nonviolence.  How much success do he and his nonviolent civil rights leaders owe to the threat of more violent alternatives of the time?  Would we pay more attention to MLK's more radically leftist speeches if other civil rights advocates of his day hadn't been even less palatable to the white community?  I think there are real overton window consequences to this stuff, and I have no idea how to contextualize it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 04:54:48 PM by MUBurrow »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2020, 09:32:46 PM »
I struggle with how much the bolded is true, and how much we just want it to be true.   Yes, attention quickly turns to the "method of rioting, burning, and looting" - but how much of that is in good faith vs how much of that was always going to happen anyway?  Whether peaceful or not, these protests are demanding systemic changes that the white community does not want to provide, and its a conversation we've been having (or not having) for decades.  Why would we think that the result would be any better if the method were less destructive?  This country got its panties all the way up its ass at pro athletes kneeling during the national anthem.  In 2018, we couldn't believe Chicago demonstrations had the gall to shut down traffic.  I'm suspicious that popular attention wouldn't have turned to the "method" of protest by now, regardless of what that method was.  Or in the alternative, to not get that negative attention, that the method wouldn't have to be ignorable altogether.

Take MLK for example.  I wonder how he would be viewed (both in his day and today) without his civil rights contemporaries who were less tethered to principles of nonviolence.  How much success do he and his nonviolent civil rights leaders owe to the threat of more violent alternatives of the time?  Would we pay more attention to MLK's more radically leftist speeches if other civil rights advocates of his day hadn't been even less palatable to the white community?  I think there are real overton window consequences to this stuff, and I have no idea how to contextualize it.

Exactly.  Something cannot be "self-defeating" when there is no path to a victory.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2020, 12:50:20 PM »
Lots a claims of tyranny and restricting freedom and violating constitutional rights a few weeks ago. But now it's fine to impose a curfew and use the police/national guard to keep people in their homes.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2020, 01:43:44 PM »
Lots a claims of tyranny and restricting freedom and violating constitutional rights a few weeks ago. But now it's fine to impose a curfew and use the police/national guard to keep people in their homes.

You cannot see the difference when property is being torched, people killed or beaten severely? 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

🏀

• All American
« Reply #138 on: May 31, 2020, 04:39:33 PM »
You cannot see the difference when property is being torched, people killed or beaten severely? 

HahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaahhahhhahagahhagahahahahahagagagagagaghahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahA

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2020, 05:58:34 PM »
Curfew starts now.  Already scattered reports of immature behavior.   Gonna be another long night at the fire station.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #142 on: May 31, 2020, 06:21:32 PM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2020, 06:22:57 PM »
Some spill over here?  This is for the Covid protests... that are over.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #144 on: May 31, 2020, 08:51:29 PM »
Surprised the smart people on the board aren't wailing, nashing their teeth, and rending their garments over the protesters gathering in large groups and many not wearing masks.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #145 on: May 31, 2020, 09:00:11 PM »
Have some patience, FFS.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2020, 09:05:46 PM »
Surprised the smart people on the board aren't wailing, nashing their teeth, and rending their garments over the protesters gathering in large groups and many not wearing masks.

Not surprised the smart people of this board are politicizing the death of an unarmed, complying black man at the hands of the police and the response of people around the country.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #147 on: May 31, 2020, 09:09:13 PM »

I actually said to my wife, "In addition to the zillion other problems here, this is going to make the COVID-19 situation worse. A bunch of people without PPE screaming into each other's faces from close range. Talk about a 'super-spreader event.'"

If that makes you feel better, Zigs.

Otherwise, sorry to disappoint, but I've never been much of a garment-renderer. And you spelled gnashing wrong.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #148 on: May 31, 2020, 09:33:23 PM »
There has been an arrest in the torching of Nashville's historic courthouse.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/crime-tracker/suspected-metro-courthouse-arsonist-arrested/?fbclid=IwAR0cTcWxWEFfj1LvIS_MAqyC-1BVVkExfGOqT6T3InGkggKnYzpKxHBl24U

Yay! That arson made me very sad. Had worked in a nearby building several times.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:14:25 PM by pbiflyer »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #149 on: May 31, 2020, 09:42:58 PM »
Good reminder that there are lots of cops who get it.

@RexChapman: Genesee County Sheriff (Flint, Michigan) Chris Swanson put down his helmet and baton and asked protesters how he could help.

The protesters chanted "walk with us" so the Sheriff joined — and walked alongside the protesters in solidarity.

Leadership.🌎❤️ https://twitter.com/TheoShantonas/status/1267096096825905152/video/1

@bribrielle_: Art Acevedo, Houston Chief of Police “DONT FOLLOW THAT BULLcrap” https://twitter.com/bribrielle_/status/1267195158149369856/video/1

feedback