[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Protests  (Read 74613 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Protests
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2020, 10:44:34 AM »
The answers to your questions are complex. But, the short response is the fabric of my being and soul will not change. Why, because there is no need to change. The good that we all embrace, our beliefs and more importantly, our actions were already, and have been a part of my everyday existence. I, honestly, could not have done what I do on a daily basis for these many years, if I believed and acted in any other way.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2020, 10:54:40 AM »
I admire and respect you for being in a good place.   My point is, and I think you agree with it in principle and in your description of your personal life, what are (the universal) you, me, we,  going to do with it?

Chili, in the golf thread, referenced Andy Dufresne and the feeling if getting out and golfing.   My personal favorite Andy Dufresne quote is "you can get busy living, or you can get busy dying.".    I think most people are ultimately going to get there in their own way and their own time.   
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 10:58:43 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2020, 11:50:38 AM »
Anyone who wants to be liberated can work in a meat packing plant tomorrow.

+ all of the pluses.  Its a conversation for another day, but I think this is about as clear a test as we'll ever have for the debate we've been faking since I can remember about the role of immigration in the job market.  I'd love to see demographic stats on who works at these plants and who is applying for jobs there rn given the dangers.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2020, 01:27:28 PM »
I admire and respect you for being in a good place.   My point is, and I think you agree with it in principle and in your description of your personal life, what are (the universal) you, me, we,  going to do with it?

Chili, in the golf thread, referenced Andy Dufresne and the feeling if getting out and golfing.   My personal favorite Andy Dufresne quote is "you can get busy living, or you can get busy dying.".    I think most people are ultimately going to get there in their own way and their own time.

Its 70 in wisconsin. Except for businesses being closed the quarantine doesn't exist today. Tons of people are out.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2020, 01:36:57 PM »
Its 70 in wisconsin. Except for businesses being closed the quarantine doesn't exist today. Tons of people are out.

This is false.  There are more people out than when it was 40 and rain last week, but compared to other "first nice weekend of May's" it's pretty quiet.  Quarantine still most definitely exists.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2020, 01:40:53 PM »
I am watching 99% obey the mask regulations as they enter the market/butcher shop/beer wine shop/ nursery next door.  They have stayed open throughout, but they are definitely selling a lot of plants today.   But again, 99% are wearing masks.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2020, 02:08:31 PM »
Good discussion between tower, Doc and others. Thanks, folks.

I've been doing my darnedest to make lemonade out of these lemons we've all been dealt. Nice long walk with my wife and dog every day. Getting some exercise. Doing more freelance writing than I had been doing. Helping local eateries by getting to-go once a week, complete with big tips and purchase of gift cards for future use. Volunteering at a food bank. We've had four "virtual happy hours" with family and friends so far, and tonight another Marquette couple is coming over to have drinks and dinner while we sit around our firepit -- we'll be socially distancing the entire time.

One unexpected bonus: We actually have gotten to see our grand-twins in Chicago more than usual. My son and daughter-in-law have mostly been working from home, and thanks to no commuting they have time to FaceTime us nearly every day now. The boys are now 9 months old and cuter than cute can be.

Mrs. 82 and I know we are very fortunate to have our health and to have this not be a financial hardship for us. I feel for all those who have gotten sick with COVID-19, as well as those who have seen their financial lives upended. I'm rooting for all y'all.

Obviously, we want a more "normal" existence, but I agree with Doc and others that it's hard to even know what that will mean. We gave up a lot of liberties after 9/11, and this is even more restrictive.

Of course things are going to have to re-open, and they are slowly. I do wish we had a national plan -- one with local guidelines -- rather than the scattershot thing we've got going now. I mean, the virus doesn't know there's a border between Georgia and North Carolina.

I'm as big a believer in freedom of speech as anybody. I simply don't believe these protests are useful. Most of them are being put together by large political groups, and they have led to a lot of mixed messages from leadership. Plus, at least 3 out of 4 Americans polled think the protesters are simply wrong.

Hey, I don't pretend to have all the answers. Mrs. 82 and I just do the best with what we can control. I hope all my fellow Scoopers stay safe and don't go too wild once most restrictions are lifted.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2020, 06:07:23 PM »
I am watching 99% obey the mask regulations as they enter the market/butcher shop/beer wine shop/ nursery next door.  They have stayed open throughout, but they are definitely selling a lot of plants today.   But again, 99% are wearing masks.

just got back from pic n sav mukwonago, all the workers have masks.  customers-a rough estimate, maybe 30% but not even 50%.  never heard a sneeze or a cough.  everyone very respectful of each others space, but one thing for sure-it has distanced people from each other. and i don't mean just physically.  a distinct, subtle feeling of "unfriendliness" that is probably more of a defensive uncertainty created fear. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2020, 08:34:39 PM »
Good discussion between tower, Doc and others. Thanks, folks.

I've been doing my darnedest to make lemonade out of these lemons we've all been dealt. Nice long walk with my wife and dog every day. Getting some exercise. Doing more freelance writing than I had been doing. Helping local eateries by getting to-go once a week, complete with big tips and purchase of gift cards for future use. Volunteering at a food bank. We've had four "virtual happy hours" with family and friends so far, and tonight another Marquette couple is coming over to have drinks and dinner while we sit around our firepit -- we'll be socially distancing the entire time.

One unexpected bonus: We actually have gotten to see our grand-twins in Chicago more than usual. My son and daughter-in-law have mostly been working from home, and thanks to no commuting they have time to FaceTime us nearly every day now. The boys are now 9 months old and cuter than cute can be.

Mrs. 82 and I know we are very fortunate to have our health and to have this not be a financial hardship for us. I feel for all those who have gotten sick with COVID-19, as well as those who have seen their financial lives upended. I'm rooting for all y'all.

Obviously, we want a more "normal" existence, but I agree with Doc and others that it's hard to even know what that will mean. We gave up a lot of liberties after 9/11, and this is even more restrictive.

Of course things are going to have to re-open, and they are slowly. I do wish we had a national plan -- one with local guidelines -- rather than the scattershot thing we've got going now. I mean, the virus doesn't know there's a border between Georgia and North Carolina.

I'm as big a believer in freedom of speech as anybody. I simply don't believe these protests are useful. Most of them are being put together by large political groups, and they have led to a lot of mixed messages from leadership. Plus, at least 3 out of 4 Americans polled think the protesters are simply wrong.

Hey, I don't pretend to have all the answers. Mrs. 82 and I just do the best with what we can control. I hope all my fellow Scoopers stay safe and don't go too wild once most restrictions are lifted.

Excellent Post, 82.

I especially want to highlight the underlined because that is an enormous problem. It would be troubling enough if the federal government was just sitting back and doing nothing... but it’s even worse when POTUS gives directly contradictory messages, like advocating the three-phase plan one day, then encouraging states to ignore it the next. We need a rational national plan and a consistent message about it. The virus does not care about state boundaries, and it does not care that we keep stopping and starting various approaches. It will keep spreading until we cut off its access to new hosts.

Stay safe everybody!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 08:37:06 PM by GooooMarquette »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2020, 07:15:53 PM »
Related...

I wonder if those who are protesting against stay at home and mask requirements as an assault on their constitutional rights are also mad about this:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/05/14/access-your-browsing-history/

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2020, 03:01:24 PM »
Related...

I wonder if those who are protesting against stay at home and mask requirements as an assault on their constitutional rights are also mad about this:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/05/14/access-your-browsing-history/

As terrible as the FBI and CIA have been over the years in this country, this is a terrible infringement on American rights.

From Operation Mockingbird, to Iran Contra, to Iraq War, drug trafficking, Operation Cyclone, to the last few years with shootings and what appears to be s political FISA abuse scandal.  They do some good work, but when they screw up the go big.  No on needs to see browsing history and for people that have a common computer how will they even know who did the browsing? 

Truman wanted the CIA shut down.  They have grown uncontrollable with power and abused it for years.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2020, 04:48:12 PM »
As terrible as the FBI and CIA have been over the years in this country, this is a terrible infringement on American rights.

From Operation Mockingbird, to Iran Contra, to Iraq War, drug trafficking, Operation Cyclone, to the last few years with shootings and what appears to be s political FISA abuse scandal.  They do some good work, but when they screw up the go big.  No on needs to see browsing history and for people that have a common computer how will they even know who did the browsing? 

Truman wanted the CIA shut down.  They have grown uncontrollable with power and abused it for years.

No wonder your hero, the impeached President Quid Pro Quo, sided with Putin over his intelligence people.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2020, 01:54:14 PM »
No wonder your hero, the impeached President Quid Pro Quo, sided with Putin over his intelligence people.

My hero is not whom you suggest it is.  Do you believe law enforcement cannot be corrupted, despite text messages, lost 302 documents, emails to self days before leaving, despite countless under oath testimony that says one thing and public testimony not under oath says something different?

Do you remember those days when journalists would push hard to find corrupt politicians and law enforcement? I do.  Those days are gone, but because we have such tribal boundaries now with very little room for people in the middle, we cannot investigate those if the means to an end support our biases and positions.  We cannot write or publish stories that hurt our candidates.  And we certainly cannot believe women that accuse our side of wrongdoing, but if women accuse others of wrongdoing we must believe at all costs. 

You enjoy living in that world.  I choose not to.
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2020, 04:40:57 PM »
My hero is not whom you suggest it is.  Do you believe law enforcement cannot be corrupted, despite text messages, lost 302 documents, emails to self days before leaving, despite countless under oath testimony that says one thing and public testimony not under oath says something different?

Do you remember those days when journalists would push hard to find corrupt politicians and law enforcement? I do.  Those days are gone, but because we have such tribal boundaries now with very little room for people in the middle, we cannot investigate those if the means to an end support our biases and positions.  We cannot write or publish stories that hurt our candidates.  And we certainly cannot believe women that accuse our side of wrongdoing, but if women accuse others of wrongdoing we must believe at all costs. 

Sorry, hoopy, my wife says I've got to stop playing with trolls.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2020, 07:47:25 PM »
Nads, pretty sure she said "dolls," hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2020, 09:35:37 PM »
Nads, pretty sure she said "dolls," hey?

Nah ... da boata us likes dem der  dolls, oona?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2020, 09:56:37 PM »

Holy carpet-bomb on every board.

Someone else used to go back and respond to several day old posts just to get the last word as well.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2020, 06:28:24 PM »
Can we all agree that people like these are total d-bags whose d-baggery is counterproductive?

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article242971806.html?

With the ReOpenNC group planning protests in five North Carolina cities on Memorial Day, the husband of one of the group’s founders published a Facebook video that says violence shouldn’t be ruled out.

“Are we willing to kill people? Are we willing to lay our lives down? We have to say yes,” Adam Smith said in a Facebook Live video posted on Friday.

Later in the 17-minute video, he said, “If you bring force, we’re gonna bring force. If you bring guns, we’re gonna bring guns. If you’re armed with this, we’re gonna be armed with this.”

Two notable things not in the article:

++ The group's other co-founder, a Republican who believes NC should be re-opened, quit the group last month because she felt her co-founder was fomenting violence.

++ Polls show the vast majority of North Carolinians disagree with both the focus and tone of the ReOpenNC movement. Only white male Republicans agree with them; all other demographic groups strongly disagree.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2020, 06:41:28 PM »
Can we all agree that people like these are total d-bags whose d-baggery is counterproductive?

With the ReOpenNC group planning protests in five North Carolina cities on Memorial Day, the husband of one of the group’s founders published a Facebook video that says violence shouldn’t be ruled out.

“Are we willing to kill people? Are we willing to lay our lives down? We have to say yes,” Adam Smith said in a Facebook Live video posted on Friday.

What would they call this if a Muslim were making such statements in advance of a protest regarding US policy in the Middle East?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2020, 06:53:51 PM »
What would they call this if a Muslim were making such statements in advance of a protest regarding US policy in the Middle East?

Terrorism.

And this arguably is just that.

Hell, what would they call this if it were a group of black Americans?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2020, 07:13:43 PM »
Terrorism.

And this arguably is just that.

Hell, what would they call this if it were a group of black Americans?

What did they call it right before the civil war?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2020, 09:21:19 PM »
Protesters in Kentucky hanging the governor in effigy.
Man, these people must really need paint and seeds.

@ladd_sarah: The video: https://twitter.com/ladd_sarah/status/1264745614748930051/video/1

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2020, 09:33:54 PM »

Later in the 17-minute video, he said, “If you bring force, we’re gonna bring force. If you bring guns, we’re gonna bring guns. If you’re armed with this, we’re gonna be armed with this.”

Two notable things not in the article:

++ The group's other co-founder, a Republican who believes NC should be re-opened, quit the group last month because she felt her co-founder was fomenting violence.

++ Polls show the vast majority of North Carolinians disagree with both the focus and tone of the ReOpenNC movement. Only white male Republicans agree with them; all other demographic groups strongly disagree.

The threats of violence are sickening. Express an opinion, carry a sign, but wtf is wrong with these people?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2020, 10:01:45 PM »

Are you even aware that our presumptive candidate is also accused of a Quid Pro Quo?  Is it a conspiracy theory with Ukraine, prosecutor, his son Hunter.  A phone call released last week suggests this isn't going away anytime soon.  Both sides playing their games.
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2020, 10:33:42 PM »
Are you even aware that our presumptive candidate is also accused of a Quid Pro Quo?  Is it a conspiracy theory with Ukraine, prosecutor, his son Hunter.  A phone call released last week suggests this isn't going away anytime soon.  Both sides playing their games.

Congrats, hoopy 2, you are Scoop's reigning champion of false equivalence. As well as pretending to be somebody you're not.