collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 371307 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1075 on: January 05, 2021, 11:13:02 PM »
Anything gonna happen to those business/executives for employing those folks? No?

Tax cuts?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1076 on: January 05, 2021, 11:32:35 PM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1077 on: January 06, 2021, 09:16:43 AM »
Had a 9am appointment to be vaccinated this morning. Arrived 25 minutes early, had the needle in my arm at 8:55. Well staffed, courteous, extremely efficient. I was issued a card which allows me to set up my 2nd dose any time 28+ days from now. Major kudos to our governor - there were problems with the rollout last week, but the site where I was vaccinated was beyond any of my hopes/expectations. Probably won’t be enough to impress CNN but it certainly did me.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: January 06, 2021, 10:31:04 AM »
Had a 9am appointment to be vaccinated this morning. Arrived 25 minutes early, had the needle in my arm at 8:55. Well staffed, courteous, extremely efficient. I was issued a card which allows me to set up my 2nd dose any time 28+ days from now. Major kudos to our governor - there were problems with the rollout last week, but the site where I was vaccinated was beyond any of my hopes/expectations. Probably won’t be enough to impress CNN but it certainly did me.

Way to go Lenny.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/01/05/florida-nursing-home-covid-vaccine/

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1079 on: January 06, 2021, 11:41:26 AM »
Congrats, Lenny.

You old guys need to be careful.  ;D

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1080 on: January 06, 2021, 03:23:03 PM »
JB lowering the age for the next round in Illinois to 65, originally it was 75. Statistics show that the average of death for Hispanics and African -Americans is a lot lower than for whites, so he is worried about disparate impact. Said that Illinois is about 1/3 through the first round, health care workers and nursing home residents.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: January 06, 2021, 03:27:12 PM »
My wife got an email from her school district this week that they expect to begin vaccinating the teachers the 3rd or 4th week of January.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1082 on: January 06, 2021, 06:44:14 PM »
My wife got an email from her school district this week that they expect to begin vaccinating the teachers the 3rd or 4th week of January.

That's good to hear.

I haven't heard yet if they plan on giving preference for vaccinations to teachers.  I know it was mentioned at a school board committee meeting last night that the Waukesha school board wanted to ask the County to give some kind of preference to teachers but I'm not sure if anything will happen with that.  And there's also the problem where the vaccination rollout in Wisconsin is behind most other Midwest states:  https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2021/01/05/wisconsin-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-schedule-behind-midwest-states-health-care-workers-get-vaccinated/4127810001/

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: January 06, 2021, 09:09:07 PM »

Great to hear. Glad Connecticut seems to have its act together.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1084 on: January 08, 2021, 07:20:44 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1347235949500116994

So what Florida is doing is what he’s recommending if I understand everything correctly?? 

Shocking that we can’t find enough healthcare workers to take the vaccine that we now have stockpiles scattered across the country. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: January 08, 2021, 08:52:38 AM »
A Dallas area hospital is now offering vaccines to extended family of front line workers due to excessive vaccines.

Florida is still a cluster. Unless of course, you are a rich white person. In a couple areas, they have skipped to the front of the line.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1086 on: January 08, 2021, 09:21:45 AM »
A Dallas area hospital is now offering vaccines to extended family of front line workers due to excessive vaccines.

Florida is still a cluster. Unless of course, you are a rich white person. In a couple areas, they have skipped to the front of the line.

Interesting, do you have a source on that (or name of hospital)? Seems like the Dallas area was likely well supplied.

Wonder if this is a people turning down the vaccine issue, or just a large supply.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:29:39 AM by forgetful »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: January 08, 2021, 09:49:19 AM »
Interesting, do you have a source on that (or name of hospital)? Seems like the Dallas area was likely well supplied.

Wonder if this is a people turning down the vaccine issue, or just a large supply.

Source is a nurse there. Children's Medical Center.
I was always confused why the front line workers got it, but not their immediate families. Seems that just like like bubbles, you need to create one with the vaccines.   

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1088 on: January 08, 2021, 10:18:39 AM »
Source is a nurse there. Children's Medical Center.
I was always confused why the front line workers got it, but not their immediate families. Seems that just like like bubbles, you need to create one with the vaccines.

The general argument against immediate family members is that if you protect the frontline worker, there isn't a risk to the family anymore.

Regarding Children's. It appears this isn't an example of effective distribution, rather oddities in the process.

Children's doesn't vaccinate the general public. Their doses were earmarked for frontline workers employed by Children's or associated clinics. Any excess is required to be used, but they are not vaccinating the general public.

Usually, they would then move on to patients of their associated clinics who are eligible. But, since the vaccines are not authorized for children, their patient population is absent. That means they are allowed to use it for extended family. It also means, that there are front-line workers employed by other clinics, etc., that still haven't been vaccinated, but are not eligible at Children's either.

It is one of the reasons that an organized public distribution/vaccination would have been more efficient at targeting at-risk groups.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1089 on: January 08, 2021, 11:41:11 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/winsjuliet/status/1347584146986692609

Stories everywhere about vaccines going to waste and mismanagement of the roll out in NY and now the above story.

Stunning that state leadership continues to dig their heels in by not allowing a little more flexibility to who can get it right now.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: January 08, 2021, 11:45:26 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/winsjuliet/status/1347584146986692609

Stories everywhere about vaccines going to waste and mismanagement of the roll out in NY and now the above story.

Stunning that state leadership continues to dig their heels in by not allowing a little more flexibility to who can get it right now.

Lots of added levels of bureaucracy in NY. And then in other states where it's more free-for-all, you've got people jumping the line.

Tough situation to handle.

I noticed you haven't said anything about line jumpers. Weird.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1091 on: January 08, 2021, 11:54:11 AM »
It appears this isn't an example of effective distribution, rather oddities in the process.
[snip]
It is one of the reasons that an organized public distribution/vaccination would have been more efficient at targeting at-risk groups.

You're correct, but unfortunately, I think the "oddities" are widespread.

What I'm seeing (from a good personal source), is that states are realizing their distribution plan was insufficient, they aren't getting the quantities out that they need, instead they've been sitting in storage, so they're offering up quantities to more localized healthcare practices now to ramp up "shots in arms".  This initial drop to the  localized places is intended for healthcare workers, but with the footnote of "If you can succeed in getting these used, you'll get more to distribute next week".

Considering that the  surgeon general's recent comments about vaccine phases "If the demand isn’t there in 1a, go to 1b and continue on down. If the demand isn’t there in one location, move those vaccines to another location.”"
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/05/world/the-us-surgeon-general-warns-not-to-let-priority-guidelines-slow-down-vaccinations.html

They're still a priority list, but states are quickly willing to abandon that to get the vaccine out (as they should...I think).

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1092 on: January 08, 2021, 12:14:59 PM »
Lots of added levels of bureaucracy in NY. And then in other states where it's more free-for-all, you've got people jumping the line.

Tough situation to handle.

I noticed you haven't said anything about line jumpers. Weird.

Why is that weird?  I frankly don’t care about line jumpers as long as vaccines aren’t going to waste.  If the goal is to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible hearing these stories of wasted vials is maddening.

Do I think the line jumpers are a bunch of pretty boys sure but that seems to be the least of our problems right now.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1093 on: January 08, 2021, 12:22:57 PM »

They're still a priority list, but states are quickly willing to abandon that to get the vaccine out (as they should...I think).

I agree with this...once the nursing homes and hospital workers have a reasonable shot its time to create demand by opening up to more people.  It's the only way these clinics, pharmacy's, etc are going to get to scale. 

You can keep a priority list while doing this....so hopefully it doesnt turn into a free for all.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1094 on: January 08, 2021, 12:44:41 PM »
A head of a local health system was on the news yesterday, and you could tell he was extremely frustrated with the State of Wisconsin and how it is managing its priority lists. 

I am all for priorities, but I am also for blurring the lines a little if it gets it out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: January 08, 2021, 01:02:06 PM »
Come on guys, what did you expect?  We've only had 10 months to plan a vaccine distribution network!

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: January 08, 2021, 01:08:17 PM »
The tweet you linked to is now gone, apparently. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1097 on: January 08, 2021, 01:13:10 PM »
Come on guys, what did you expect?  We've only had 10 months to plan a vaccine distribution network!

Well I am willing to be a little forgiving due to the unprecedented nature of what we are trying to accomplish here.  But I also think its important to learn and adjust on the fly.  But those are two qualities that bureaucracies lack.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: January 08, 2021, 01:27:39 PM »

Wisconsin Dept. of Health Services is controlling the distribution in Wisconsin. Pretty sure they're are getting directives from Worst Gov. Evers, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1099 on: January 08, 2021, 01:34:03 PM »
This is the largest vaccination effort in our country's history.

Priority lists are important, but at the end of the day, we really just need to stick as many needles into arms as we can. I would rather have the problem of line-jumping than seeing vaccine going unused.

feedback