[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 372311 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1100 on: January 08, 2021, 01:40:39 PM »

Wisconsin Dept. of Health Services is controlling the distribution in Wisconsin. Pretty sure they're are getting directives from Worst Gov. Evers, aina?

I'm sure you have gone to the local free clinic and offered your experience with a syringe.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1101 on: January 08, 2021, 03:26:53 PM »
This is the largest vaccination effort in our country's history.
Seems like, I dunno know, maybe the largest ever vaccination effort should have been coordinated by our largest bureaucracy then.

But you know, golf.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1102 on: January 08, 2021, 03:31:41 PM »
This is the largest vaccination effort in our country's history.

Priority lists are important, but at the end of the day, we really just need to stick as many needles into arms as we can. I would rather have the problem of line-jumping than seeing vaccine going unused.

Bigger than polio? Or the first flu vaccine? (Serious questions)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1103 on: January 08, 2021, 03:39:10 PM »
Off the top of my head, without looking at numbers or Wikipedia or Google,  I would think polio might be comparable, but polio was perhaps easier because it targeted children and we were vaccinated, at least as I remember, lined up in school. Everybody in the school got it at the same time.
I don’t remember anything happening with the flu vaccine frankly, except that I got it for free at work.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1104 on: January 08, 2021, 03:53:10 PM »
I'm sure you have gone to the local free clinic and offered your experience with a syringe.

I've heard that the legislature in Wisconsin is proposing to adopt language from other states (California, for example) that would authorize dentists to administer the vaccine.  Makes sense, as dentists are pretty handy with syringes. 
Ludum habemus.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1105 on: January 08, 2021, 04:00:18 PM »
I would accept into my gum.    Walk out of their like JarJarBinks after getting too close to a pod-racer.   
4never going full Dr. Scrivello.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 04:16:55 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1106 on: January 08, 2021, 04:52:38 PM »
I've heard that the legislature in Wisconsin is proposing to adopt language from other states (California, for example) that would authorize dentists to administer the vaccine.  Makes sense, as dentists are pretty handy with syringes.

It's all up to the states, in many, RNs, Physicians Assistants, and Medical Assistants, can all give shots (especially vaccines).  Though some states don't allow those groups to do it.  So if you're in a state that severely limits who is allowed to handle an "injection" then yes, it's possible dentists might be able to help.  Though in many states there's plenty people available to give injections, but those people have no vaccines to give.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1107 on: January 08, 2021, 05:19:23 PM »
It's all up to the states, in many, RNs, Physicians Assistants, and Medical Assistants, can all give shots (especially vaccines).  Though some states don't allow those groups to do it.  So if you're in a state that severely limits who is allowed to handle an "injection" then yes, it's possible dentists might be able to help.  Though in many states there's plenty people available to give injections, but those people have no vaccines to give.

I have gotten flu shots on several occasions from Marquette nursing students.  They have traditionally offered them on Parents Weekend.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1108 on: January 08, 2021, 05:26:34 PM »
Bigger than polio? Or the first flu vaccine? (Serious questions)

Yes.

The US polio vaccination effort was the biggest before this, but the population back in the 50s and 60s was less than half of what it is today. And there were supply shortages and issues with unexpected deaths from the beginning, so it went in fits and starts for a few years. Finally, I believe they generally just vaccinated children. All told, a huge effort, but far more gradual and in a more limited population.

Flu vaccines - even for the most serious flu epidemics - typically are given only to middle-aged people and older (plus anyone at high risk). Again, a far more limited population.

This one is currently targeting everyone in America above age 18, with the hope of getting safety and efficacy data on kids soon so they may be added as well. If things go well, we might vaccinate upwards of 300 million people in the next several months...more than double the entire US population during the polio epidemic.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 05:28:05 PM by GooooMarquette »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1109 on: January 08, 2021, 05:36:47 PM »

Pharmacists are also allowed to administer vaccines under various circumstances in all 50 states. In normal times, there are limitations on types of vaccines or age groups, but this could easily be broadened to assist in the COVID vaccination effort.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1110 on: January 08, 2021, 06:16:54 PM »
Do we have enough vaccines available that a lack of people able to administer the vaccines is an issue?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1111 on: January 08, 2021, 06:20:50 PM »
Pharmacists are also allowed to administer vaccines under various circumstances in all 50 states. In normal times, there are limitations on types of vaccines or age groups, but this could easily be broadened to assist in the COVID vaccination effort.

Hah yes, shouldn't have left them out.  I have a few pharmacist friends, and they are some of my close sources :)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1112 on: January 08, 2021, 06:22:05 PM »
Do we have enough vaccines available that a lack of people able to administer the vaccines is an issue?

No.  And that's really my point.  Sure dentists are an option, but most states should have plenty of people available (though I don't know all state restrictions).

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1113 on: January 08, 2021, 06:36:26 PM »
No.  And that's really my point.  Sure dentists are an option, but most states should have plenty of people available (though I don't know all state restrictions).

At this point, I am fairly certain you are correct. There might be limited areas where resources are stretched thin because COVID is surging (LA County) or rural areas where providers are generally scarce, but by and large the biggest limitation right now is in the supply chain. As time goes by, that could change.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1114 on: January 08, 2021, 09:41:40 PM »
Bartenders have a lot of experience administering shots.

Just sayin'.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1115 on: January 08, 2021, 11:41:32 PM »
Honestly Florida may have this thing right.

No.

Florida Sen. Rick Scott on Thursday called for a congressional investigation into what he called “vaccine distribution mismanagement,” following multiple reports that a West Palm Beach nursing home and assisted-living facility steered highly sought after vaccine shots to its board members and major donors.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1116 on: January 08, 2021, 11:48:28 PM »
No.

Florida Sen. Rick Scott on Thursday called for a congressional investigation into what he called “vaccine distribution mismanagement,” following multiple reports that a West Palm Beach nursing home and assisted-living facility steered highly sought after vaccine shots to its board members and major donors.

When Rick Scott thinks you’re slimy........

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1117 on: January 09, 2021, 05:25:41 AM »
No.

Yeah, I stated this five days ago when some of the bottlenecks were worse and before forgetful ran through why it was a problem.

But I do think overall that states need to loosen up the reigns a bit.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1118 on: January 09, 2021, 06:32:42 AM »
Bartenders have a lot of experience administering shots.

Just sayin'.

Heyo

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1119 on: January 09, 2021, 08:16:03 AM »
The general argument against immediate family members is that if you protect the frontline worker, there isn't a risk to the family anymore.

Regarding Children's. It appears this isn't an example of effective distribution, rather oddities in the process.

Children's doesn't vaccinate the general public. Their doses were earmarked for frontline workers employed by Children's or associated clinics. Any excess is required to be used, but they are not vaccinating the general public.

Usually, they would then move on to patients of their associated clinics who are eligible. But, since the vaccines are not authorized for children, their patient population is absent. That means they are allowed to use it for extended family. It also means, that there are front-line workers employed by other clinics, etc., that still haven't been vaccinated, but are not eligible at Children's either.

It is one of the reasons that an organized public distribution/vaccination would have been more efficient at targeting at-risk groups.

Thanks for explaining that.
A local Palm Beach wife of an oral surgeon was showing off her vaccine. She explained that because her husband has privileges at the local hospital, staff was able to get it. She didn’t explain how her and her son got it.
Good year for her son, got the shot and a Porsche for his birthday.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1120 on: January 09, 2021, 12:18:55 PM »
How exactly do you "show off" a vaccine?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1121 on: January 09, 2021, 12:35:43 PM »

Maybe she got an "I vaccinated" sticker, sane as what you get when you vote.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1122 on: January 09, 2021, 01:38:48 PM »

Wore a sleeveless top, and kept the band-aid on?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1123 on: January 09, 2021, 01:44:51 PM »
Yeah, I stated this five days ago when some of the bottlenecks were worse and before forgetful ran through why it was a problem.

But I do think overall that states need to loosen up the reigns a bit.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with your statement.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1124 on: January 09, 2021, 01:45:54 PM »

Take the hat off the second head growing out of your shoulder.