[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 356988 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1050 on: January 04, 2021, 03:17:10 PM »
Called the Vaccine Appointment number in Lee County Florida today. Minutes of busy signals/call can’t go through but I eventually got into the queue. They took my information (birthdate, phone #) via tape, said they would call me back. 5 hours later a real person called me back. I have a 9am appointment for Wednesday (day after tomorrow).

Congrats Lenny. Exciting news
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1051 on: January 04, 2021, 03:18:03 PM »
Good man, Lenny.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1052 on: January 04, 2021, 03:28:42 PM »
Honestly Florida may have this thing right. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1053 on: January 04, 2021, 03:29:14 PM »
Good luck, Lenny.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1054 on: January 04, 2021, 04:08:17 PM »

For the 5000 who were lucky enough to get appointments today, good news. But for every lucky one, many (30 or 40?) didn’t get through. Unfortunately, supply still well short of demand.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1055 on: January 04, 2021, 05:41:36 PM »
For the 5000 who were lucky enough to get appointments today, good news. But for every lucky one, many (30 or 40?) didn’t get through. Unfortunately, supply still well short of demand.

What’s the Florida policy for essential workers?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1056 on: January 04, 2021, 09:11:59 PM »
What’s the Florida policy for essential workers?

Health care workers and anyone working in nursing homes were first, along with nursing home residents. Next come seniors (65+). Then essential, non health care employees (teachers, police, fire fighters, grocery store employees, etc.). Then the public at large. At least that’s my understanding.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1057 on: January 04, 2021, 10:08:35 PM »

Health care workers and anyone working in nursing homes were first, along with nursing home residents. Next come seniors (65+). Then essential, non health care employees (teachers, police, fire fighters, grocery store employees, etc.). Then the public at large. At least that’s my understanding.

There are a lot of frontline health-care workers that have not had an opportunity to get vaccinated in Florida yet. They just aren't allocating the vaccine to areas where it is still needed by healthcare workers.

Similar story in other states.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1058 on: January 05, 2021, 08:01:03 AM »

It goes county by county. Ours is a cluster. But hey, in some counties here you can book your vaccination and a concert with one fee!

Florida counties use Eventbrite to schedule COVID-19 vaccine appointments
https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/4/22213307/covid-vaccine-florida-eventbrite

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1059 on: January 05, 2021, 10:45:06 AM »
Or not:
'It's a disgrace': Seniors rage over rollout of coronavirus vaccine
Distributing the coronavirus vaccine to the state's 4.4 million seniors appears to be going slowly.

Arthur and Barbara Tolkin have a new morning ritual. They get up early, grab their phones and start making calls, desperately trying to schedule an appointment to get a coronavirus vaccine.

Although the North Palm Beach couple have made scores of phone calls to health-care providers in Palm Beach County and beyond, the results have been the same.

“You cannot get through,” said 86-year-old Barbara Tolkin, who is recovering from open heart surgery. “It’s horrendous. It’s a disgrace.”

She is not alone in her view.

Countless other senior citizens throughout the county have tried and failed to successfully navigate jammed phone lines to get information about the long-hoped-for vaccine.

“Nobody knows anything,” said Mildred Smiley, an 80-plus widow who lives west of Boynton Beach. “My own doctors know nothing. Hospitals know nothing. Health clinics know nothing.

The county had to scrap its initial vaccine rollout plan, which included first responders, after Gov. Ron DeSantis on Dec. 23 unexpectedly announced seniors would join health-care workers and nursing home residents and staff at the front of the line.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1060 on: January 05, 2021, 10:59:15 AM »
So is the second shot booster the exact same as the first shot? Or is the dosage, etc different?  If getting the first shot is this much of a free for all, how are we going to manage making sure people that have gotten the first shot get their booster within the acceptable time period per the clinical trials, and also distinguish those folks from the crush of people still trying to get their first dose?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1061 on: January 05, 2021, 12:23:32 PM »
So is the second shot booster the exact same as the first shot? Or is the dosage, etc different?  If getting the first shot is this much of a free for all, how are we going to manage making sure people that have gotten the first shot get their booster within the acceptable time period per the clinical trials, and also distinguish those folks from the crush of people still trying to get their first dose?

When you receive your first round, you get scheduled for the 2nd.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: January 05, 2021, 12:43:11 PM »

Nope. They are also directing doses specifically to high income areas in much higher supplies. So if you are in a county with high wealth, you can get a vaccine. If you are a first responder in areas of low wealth...you don't matter and are still waiting.

Many states are similar. Somehow "concierge doctors" are getting supplies that they are authorized to give to seniors or people with pre-existing conditions, while individual counties can't get doses delivered to vaccinate their first responders and critical hospital staff.

Good news for people thought that can/want to get on a list. The CDC list of conditions is pretty lengthy, and includes things like being a current or former smoker, having asthma, high blood pressure, and others.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

So pretty much most people can qualify if they want to.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1063 on: January 05, 2021, 12:45:10 PM »
Nope. They are also directing doses specifically to high income areas in much higher supplies. So if you are in a county with high wealth, you can get a vaccine. If you are a first responder in areas of low wealth...you don't matter and are still waiting.

Many states are similar. Somehow "concierge doctors" are getting supplies that they are authorized to give to seniors or people with pre-existing conditions, while individual counties can't get doses delivered to vaccinate their first responders and critical hospital staff.

Good news for people thought that can/want to get on a list. The CDC list of conditions is pretty lengthy, and includes things like being a current or former smoker, having asthma, high blood pressure, and others.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

OK thank you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1064 on: January 05, 2021, 12:49:42 PM »

Source?

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #1065 on: January 05, 2021, 12:52:27 PM »
Health care worker getting my first round of Moderna today.

I know it doesn't seem like it, but its coming everyone.  Just gotta hang in there a little longer.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1066 on: January 05, 2021, 12:57:53 PM »

What could be more Amurican than this?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: January 05, 2021, 03:24:57 PM »
Source?

It's difficult to provide a formal source for this, what I can do is give you what I am basing this off of.

1. I have friends/colleagues that have their physicians associated with a ritzy private hospital. They had been notified that they are eligible for the vaccine. That hospital is now providing 700-1000 doses a day, limited only by available doctors to inject in arm. It is only available though to patients currently associated with a doctor in their hospital network, regardless of status. So I have friends who are frontline workers, that can't get a vaccine, but a 30-year old obese individual with a doctor at that hospital is getting it.

2. In my area, family practices have started to like to go to a "concierge" model. Where even if you have insurance, you must pay an extra fee (often $10k+ per year) to be a part of their practice. I have friends in 2-states (Florida being one of them) that have been told they can make an appointment for their vaccine and will be getting it this week.

That led me to investigate a little deeper, as these types of things intrigue me.

In some areas they publicly disclose where doses (and how many) have been allocated. I've looked through some of those lists and you can see some concierge practices listed. It is slightly above board as a friend explained, here is the trick.

First, your clinic applies to be a vaccine provider. You then justify that you need doses to vaccinate your front-line workers. If approved, the smallest order is for 100-doses of Moderna. You then get allocated 100-doses. But because you are a small concierge practice with minimal staff/doctors, you maybe use up 40 doses for staff. You are then required to use up the remaining doses so they do not go to waste, where you make an effort to follow the guidelines (currently phase 1a and 1b).

You then use those remaining doses for your high-paying clients that "loosely" fit the CDC guidelines, or if you have no one else in the priority categories you are allowed to call family and friends to ensure that they do not go to waste.

So technically above board, and following the guidelines, but then you have 100 doses going to a concierge practice, when a neighboring rural county can't vaccinate their front line medical workers.

It is a bit anecdotal in that the data I can see is limited.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 03:26:58 PM by forgetful »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1068 on: January 05, 2021, 03:33:27 PM »
While Florida and specifically Palm Beach county remain a cluster, I was able to get my 96 year old dad an appointment to get a shot at the local VA. No wait on the phone. Multiple appointment time options.
So, to the vets out there, it may be worth a shot (pun intended) to reach out to your local VA.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1069 on: January 05, 2021, 03:37:30 PM »
Another factor driving inequity are the algorithms used to decide which locations/counties get vaccines.

Most states use an algorithm that includes storage availability. The low-temperature freezers needed to store the vaccine are not traditionally available in some poorer locations, and they didn't have more money to go out and buy a bunch.

Other wealthier locations stockpiled -80 C freezers. They now benefit from the algorithm, as they can prove significant unused storage capacity.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1070 on: January 05, 2021, 03:43:47 PM »
It's difficult to provide a formal source for this, what I can do is give you what I am basing this off of.

1. I have friends/colleagues that have their physicians associated with a ritzy private hospital. They had been notified that they are eligible for the vaccine. That hospital is now providing 700-1000 doses a day, limited only by available doctors to inject in arm. It is only available though to patients currently associated with a doctor in their hospital network, regardless of status. So I have friends who are frontline workers, that can't get a vaccine, but a 30-year old obese individual with a doctor at that hospital is getting it.

2. In my area, family practices have started to like to go to a "concierge" model. Where even if you have insurance, you must pay an extra fee (often $10k+ per year) to be a part of their practice. I have friends in 2-states (Florida being one of them) that have been told they can make an appointment for their vaccine and will be getting it this week.

That led me to investigate a little deeper, as these types of things intrigue me.

In some areas they publicly disclose where doses (and how many) have been allocated. I've looked through some of those lists and you can see some concierge practices listed. It is slightly above board as a friend explained, here is the trick.

First, your clinic applies to be a vaccine provider. You then justify that you need doses to vaccinate your front-line workers. If approved, the smallest order is for 100-doses of Moderna. You then get allocated 100-doses. But because you are a small concierge practice with minimal staff/doctors, you maybe use up 40 doses for staff. You are then required to use up the remaining doses so they do not go to waste, where you make an effort to follow the guidelines (currently phase 1a and 1b).

You then use those remaining doses for your high-paying clients that "loosely" fit the CDC guidelines, or if you have no one else in the priority categories you are allowed to call family and friends to ensure that they do not go to waste.

So technically above board, and following the guidelines, but then you have 100 doses going to a concierge practice, when a neighboring rural county can't vaccinate their front line medical workers.

It is a bit anecdotal in that the data I can see is limited.

I have no doubt that some states are doing that. But here in MN, money and prestige seem not to be factors. Mayo Clinic is a vaccination site, sees lots of high profile patients and has been prominent in the fight against COVID. Yet when the Pfizer supply began coming out, Mayo reportedly got proportionately less vaccine than some smaller, more rural places. The state's rationale - and a legitimate one if they have the data to support it - was that staff at smaller facilities have to multitask more often, so larger proportions are likely to work directly with COVID patients (as opposed to Mayo's more specialized practice).

Probably an outlier, though....

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: January 05, 2021, 09:06:17 PM »
Nebraska Governor says undocumented workers at meatpacking plants won't be given the vaccine.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1346525695879614467?s=19

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1072 on: January 05, 2021, 09:37:05 PM »
Nebraska Governor says undocumented workers at meatpacking plants won't be given the vaccine.

Good lord.  How immoral.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1073 on: January 05, 2021, 10:06:41 PM »

Anything gonna happen to those business/executives for employing those folks? No?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1074 on: January 05, 2021, 10:16:56 PM »

Appalling and inhumane....

feedback