[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 356895 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #900 on: December 23, 2020, 07:55:14 AM »
  what makes you and your cabal of sycophants think you are right?    i have a viewpoint, you have yours.

A viewpoint?  You posted something pavlovian about AOC without understanding that every member of Congress was offered the shot.  Some have said yes, others have said no. I mean, Kevin McCarthy got it as well.  Why aren't you mocking him "going to the front of the line?"

That's not a viewpoint.  That is an accurate fact.  But instead of doing a bit of Googling and reading to understand more of the issue, you post something parroted elsewhere, then pass it off as "fact" or a "viewpoint."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #901 on: December 23, 2020, 08:36:39 AM »

As you know, my opinion is all of congress and white house (incoming and outgoing for both) should get it so we can have a continuation of government, and they get be back in session face to face in Jan.

Agree completely. Every member of Congress, the White House, and other high-level governmental employees (federal AND state) should be in the first wave with front-line providers.

To me, the reason is twofold: (1) to get back to the day-to-day running of our country ASAP, and (2) to serve our national security interests, as healthy leaders are essential to crisis management.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #902 on: December 23, 2020, 09:27:01 AM »

Agree completely. Every member of Congress, the White House, and other high-level governmental employees (federal AND state) should be in the first wave with front-line providers.

To me, the reason is twofold: (1) to get back to the day-to-day running of our country ASAP, and (2) to serve our national security interests, as healthy leaders are essential to crisis management.

And (3) we don't need anymore confusion or "room for opinion" on whether to take the vaccine or when is the most moral time to take the vaccine.  Regardless of intention, anyone in leadership not taking the vaccine immediately when offered clouds what should be unanimous messaging for their own political gain and to the detriment of the country.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #903 on: December 23, 2020, 10:04:10 AM »
And (3) we don't need anymore confusion or "room for opinion" on whether to take the vaccine or when is the most moral time to take the vaccine.  Regardless of intention, anyone in leadership not taking the vaccine immediately when offered clouds what should be unanimous messaging for their own political gain and to the detriment of the country.

This is where I am at.  I’m even more concerned if any go down the antivax talking points or now create a brand new lens to judge people. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #904 on: December 23, 2020, 10:08:11 AM »
This is where I am at.  I’m even more concerned if any go down the antivax talking points or now create a brand new lens to judge people. 

Exactly. If my health care provider calls me tomorrow and says I am eligible to take the vaccine, I am not going to engage in some moral back and forth about whether or not I am worthy at this point in time. I am going to take it because I trust the process and by taking it I am helping society recover.

But no. Instead of being seen as progress for the sake of the common good, it’s been politicized.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #905 on: December 23, 2020, 10:18:26 AM »
Exactly. If my health care provider calls me tomorrow and says I am eligible to take the vaccine, I am not going to engage in some moral back and forth about whether or not I am worthy at this point in time. I am going to take it because I trust the process and by taking it I am helping society recover.

But no. Instead of being seen as progress for the sake of the common good, it’s been politicized.

agree 100%

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #906 on: December 23, 2020, 10:46:59 AM »

He routinely posts bullsh*t that's easily swatted down.  If he doesn't want to be "pushed down," he should post stuff that is more than a simple talking point.

Hey man, I get it, but at some point we have to rehab these people who are constantly lied to and then repeat the lies.  Rocky's approach was positive.  That's all I'm saying.  Negative slapping (I'm extremely guilty of this) just pushes people into corners or back into the open arms of what they're used to.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #907 on: December 23, 2020, 10:58:53 AM »
Hey man, I get it, but at some point we have to rehab these people who are constantly lied to and then repeat the lies.  Rocky's approach was positive.  That's all I'm saying.  Negative slapping (I'm extremely guilty of this) just pushes people into corners or back into the open arms of what they're used to.

"I have extremist viewpoints because someone on the MU message boards wasn't nice when he explained how wrong I am"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #908 on: December 23, 2020, 11:00:40 AM »

What if those people aren't repeating lies but intentionally trolling?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #909 on: December 23, 2020, 12:33:46 PM »

Excellent point.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #910 on: December 23, 2020, 12:58:40 PM »
What if those people aren't repeating lies but intentionally trolling?

Oh, he's not trolling.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #911 on: December 23, 2020, 01:01:13 PM »
"I have extremist viewpoints because someone on the MU message boards wasn't nice when he explained how wrong I am"

Yeah, that isn't what i was alluding to at all.  If you want to have these folks never wake up, keep treating them like crap.  You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #912 on: December 23, 2020, 02:22:17 PM »
Hey man, I get it, but at some point we have to rehab these people who are constantly lied to and then repeat the lies. 
While it is a nice, optimistic thought, it simply ain't happening. There is no rehabbing these people who so gladly swallow easily proven lies and will fight tooth and nail to defend those lies in the face of every fact.

It would be nice if it were possible, but sadly it isn't.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #913 on: December 23, 2020, 02:29:08 PM »
While it is a nice, optimistic thought, it simply ain't happening. There is no rehabbing these people who so gladly swallow easily proven lies and will fight tooth and nail to defend those lies in the face of every fact.

It would be nice if it were possible, but sadly it isn't.

I disagree.    I don't think Biden is perfect.   I could do 500 words on votes of his I disagree with.    But, if he keeps the 'Uncle Joe' thing going and stays focused on common sense solutions and pragmatism, there is a percentage of people whom you write off who will recognize competence and realize that they were in a MAGA haze.       What percentage?   I don't know.    But enough.   Not all.   There are closed minded extremists of both ilks who will never be won over by common sense.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #914 on: December 23, 2020, 02:38:19 PM »
I disagree.    I don't think Biden is perfect.   I could do 500 words on votes of his I disagree with.    But, if he keeps the 'Uncle Joe' thing going and stays focused on common sense solutions and pragmatism, there is a percentage of people whom you write off who will recognize competence and realize that they were in a MAGA haze.       What percentage?   I don't know.    But enough.   Not all.   There are closed minded extremists of both ilks who will never be won over by common sense.

Exactly.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #915 on: December 23, 2020, 03:46:17 PM »
Exactly.
Good luck to you both. It's an extremely Quixotic endeavor IMO. Sure, there are people in the middle who might be swayed, but the MAGAs? Not a chance. They live for the lies they are told.

Biden could be the greatest President ever for the next four years and it will not sway people like guru, 4ever, or rocket one iota.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #916 on: December 23, 2020, 03:52:26 PM »
So you shouldn't do the right thing for the most people because it won't convince the hardest core of the opposition party?   Do the virtuous thing anyway.   Let the haters hate. 

FWIW, my driver, the UM alum with multiple degrees, is equally annoying, equally sanctimonious, equally wrong, from the left.   Feels like AOC and Bernie are sellouts.   Dude is annoying as hell, even though I love him like a brother.    Actively rooting for Biden to fail.    I tell him regularly there isn't a hair of difference between him and the MAGA on the pain in the ass divorced from reality spectrum.

So, do the virtuous, right thing and don't concern yourself with the fringes.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #917 on: December 23, 2020, 04:38:59 PM »
Yeah, that isn't what i was alluding to at all.  If you want to have these folks never wake up, keep treating them like crap.  You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

I have read a hundred articles and heard it on TV dozens of times that the left needs to reach out to trump supporters.

I have seen zero articles and zero comments on TV that trump supporters need to reach out to the left.

Until I do, they can all get screwed.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #918 on: December 23, 2020, 04:45:56 PM »

I have read a hundred articles and heard it on TV dozens of times that the left needs to reach out to trump supporters.

I have seen zero articles and zero comments on TV that trump supporters need to reach out to the left.

Until I do, they can all get screwed.

I never said reach out.  I said when they reach out, don't spit in their face.  That's it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #919 on: December 23, 2020, 07:11:10 PM »
I never said reach out.  I said when they reach out, don't spit in their face.  That's it.

Which one of them reached out?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #920 on: December 23, 2020, 07:26:13 PM »
So you shouldn't do the right thing for the most people because it won't convince the hardest core of the opposition party?   Do the virtuous thing anyway.   Let the haters hate. 
What is virtuous about spending your time trying to convince people that will never be convinced? Why is the right thing to do to waste your time on people that revel in racism, misogyny, and hate? Nothing is going to change their minds. Good luck if you wish to spend your time trying to do so, but it isn't virtuous.

So, do the virtuous, right thing and don't concern yourself with the fringes.
They aren't the fringes. 70% of Republicans believe Trump's bullchit about a stolen election. 30% of Republicans believe in a conspiracy that Democrats run a pedophile ring that drinks the blood of children. Thirty. unnatural carnal knowledgeing. Percent.

More than 100 elected Republican Representatives are on record supporting overturning the Constitution to keep Trump in power. Yes, 100 Republican members of the House of Representatives have formally stated that are in favor of a coup and it has become so mainstream that people barely blink.

That's the "fringe" these days.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #921 on: December 23, 2020, 07:33:21 PM »
If you lower yourself to their bat crap level, what exactly have you accomplished in the big picture and what have you done to yourself? Be the difference.   Virtue for virtue's sake. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 08:03:12 PM by tower912 »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #922 on: December 23, 2020, 08:03:47 PM »
If you lower yourself to their bat crap level, what exactly have you accomplished in the big picture and what have you done to yourself? Be the difference.
Well first of all, I don't think this statement has anything at all to do with the (in my opinion misguided) idea that reaching out to them is somehow virtuous.

More importantly, the whole point is that I haven't lowered myself to their level. I don't believe a secret cabal of Republicans drink the blood of children. I don't praise Nazis and Klansman as very fine people. I don't revel in white nationalists supporting my cause. I don't support putting children in cages and separating them from their parents in some cases forever. I don't insist it is my right to potentially kill my fellow Americans because I don't want to wear a strip of cloth.

All of these, and many more morally abhorrent positions are not fringe, they are vociferously promoted by the mainstream Republican party. So no, I haven't lowered myself to their batcrap level, and neither do I think it is virtuous to spend my time trying to convince people who not only believe these things, but revel in them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #923 on: December 23, 2020, 09:14:24 PM »
Great stuff on the vaccine.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #924 on: December 24, 2020, 07:40:35 AM »
I am pleased that the government is purchasing another 100 million doses from Pfizer.    I expect there are still going to be supply chain issues and rollout challenges.    The logistics of something this charge are just so intricate and massive that there is no way to avoid it.    The notion that every adult who wants the vaccine will have it by June is heartening.