[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 369187 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #825 on: December 18, 2020, 08:46:59 AM »
Can We Do Twice as Many Vaccinations as We Thought?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/18/opinion/coronavirus-vaccine-doses.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Interesting opinion piece in the NYT. It proposes a single-dose trial among young, healthy frontline workers to see if a single dose provides sufficient protection.

But to me, the more tantalizing answer actually lies buried in the article, almost as an afterthought: There is no 'magic timeframe' for giving the second dose, and we might get the same ~95% efficacy if we lengthen the time to the booster shot. The 21-day and 28-day timeframes in the Pfizer and Moderna trials were just guesses...and likely chosen so they could finish the studies more quickly. If we changed those timeframes, it's quite plausible the protection for the first shot would still exist for a few months...thus freeing up more shots for people to get their initial vaccinations now.

Not the most scientific approach, and I seriously doubt they'll change anything at this point, but an interesting possibility given the extreme situation we're living through.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #826 on: December 18, 2020, 09:40:58 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/18/opinion/coronavirus-vaccine-doses.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Interesting opinion piece in the NYT. It proposes a single-dose trial among young, healthy frontline workers to see if a single dose provides sufficient protection.

But to me, the more tantalizing answer actually lies buried in the article, almost as an afterthought: There is no 'magic timeframe' for giving the second dose, and we might get the same ~95% efficacy if we lengthen the time to the booster shot. The 21-day and 28-day timeframes in the Pfizer and Moderna trials were just guesses...and likely chosen so they could finish the studies more quickly. If we changed those timeframes, it's quite plausible the protection for the first shot would still exist for a few months...thus freeing up more shots for people to get their initial vaccinations now.

Not the most scientific approach, and I seriously doubt they'll change anything at this point, but an interesting possibility given the extreme situation we're living through.

I was thinking of something similar to this. A couple ways to get to a "herd" immunity faster.

1. Estimates say that the actual number the have been infected is closer to 60M (I don't think it is nearly this high, but the fact remains that a lot have been infected and don't know). Those already have some level of immunity. If we could screen those to be vaccinated with rapid antibody tests first, and only give vaccines to those without antibodies we could vaccinate more faster.

2. For those that are young, and otherwise healthy. Give 1 dose. I believe the Moderna vaccine proved to be ~70% effective with a single dose. Prioritize the Moderna vaccine to that group.

3. Possibly, in general give everyone 1-dose. The actual studies showed 50-70% efficacy after one dose, and decreased severity in general. Although not perfect, this will drastically decrease the hospital burden, and save more lives. Possibly only give 2-dose regimes to nursing home/high-risk elderly.

4. Quit prioritizing work-from-home medical staff.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #827 on: December 18, 2020, 09:57:35 AM »
If it were me, I would just try to execute the plan rather than getting creative.  We have a hard enough time with the simple things.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #828 on: December 18, 2020, 10:19:44 AM »
A potential kick in the groin for Michiganians.   

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/12/pfas-exposure-may-reduce-covid-19-vaccine-potency-experts-warn.html

PFAS exposure may reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #829 on: December 18, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »
https://twitter.com/Emaperidol/status/1339224471731843073

My boyfriend got his covid vaccine yesterday and I can tell you the most prominent side effect is the inability to shut up about getting the covid vaccine

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #830 on: December 18, 2020, 10:32:56 AM »
A potential kick in the groin for Michiganians.   

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/12/pfas-exposure-may-reduce-covid-19-vaccine-potency-experts-warn.html

PFAS exposure may reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine.   

Great, we have a bunch of them here too.

jesmu84

• All American

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #832 on: December 18, 2020, 12:28:13 PM »
I was thinking of something similar to this. A couple ways to get to a "herd" immunity faster.

1. Estimates say that the actual number the have been infected is closer to 60M (I don't think it is nearly this high, but the fact remains that a lot have been infected and don't know). Those already have some level of immunity. If we could screen those to be vaccinated with rapid antibody tests first, and only give vaccines to those without antibodies we could vaccinate more faster.

2. For those that are young, and otherwise healthy. Give 1 dose. I believe the Moderna vaccine proved to be ~70% effective with a single dose. Prioritize the Moderna vaccine to that group.

3. Possibly, in general give everyone 1-dose. The actual studies showed 50-70% efficacy after one dose, and decreased severity in general. Although not perfect, this will drastically decrease the hospital burden, and save more lives. Possibly only give 2-dose regimes to nursing home/high-risk elderly.

4. Quit prioritizing work-from-home medical staff.

The other alternative: Start with one dose until everybody who wants one gets it...then move on to the second dose, whether it's three months or a year later. It gets one shot in everybody's arm faster, but doesn't eliminate the added boost from the second shot.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #833 on: December 18, 2020, 12:36:06 PM »

The confidence interval on the low end of 1 dose of Pfizer was 28%? effective. Too low.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #834 on: December 18, 2020, 12:42:17 PM »
I work in Madison, at one of the three main hospitals. Hospital A is affiliated with the university who thinks they are good at basketball. Hospital B is us, who are “partners” of hospital A. Hospital C is down the street. Madison got vaccines on Tuesday.

Hospital A is vaccinating their top two tiers.
Hospital C is vaccinating every employee.
Hospital B has no vaccines and no idea when they are getting them.

Hospital A’s Covid population has been around 65-70.
Hospital B’s Covid population has been around 50-60 (a majority of which have come from Hospital A).
Hospital C’s Covid population has been around 30-40.

We were told Hospital B didn’t get initial vaccines because they didn’t have as many employees.

AMERICA!!!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #835 on: December 18, 2020, 12:56:35 PM »
The confidence interval on the low end of 1 dose of Pfizer was 28%? effective. Too low.

Agreed. That's why I think we should stick with 2 doses, but just split them a little further apart. The difference between 21 days and 3 months is likely to be inconsequential, and would help us to return to a semblance of normalcy more quickly.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #836 on: December 18, 2020, 01:10:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1339704802964615168?s=19

As I have said here often, cruelty IS the point.

By withholding the vaccine, they are choosing to kill people. Sounds like murder to me.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #837 on: December 18, 2020, 01:45:32 PM »
I work in Madison, at one of the three main hospitals. Hospital A is affiliated with the university who thinks they are good at basketball. Hospital B is us, who are “partners” of hospital A. Hospital C is down the street. Madison got vaccines on Tuesday.

Hospital B’s Covid population has been around 50-60 (a majority of which have come from Hospital A).

We were told Hospital B didn’t get initial vaccines because they didn’t have as many employees.

AMERICA!!!

Eye'd recommend quittin' B and gettin' a gig @ A. America, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #838 on: December 18, 2020, 01:54:18 PM »

AMERICA!!!

A = UW Hospital
B = Meriter
C = SSM Health

Pretty obvious.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #839 on: December 18, 2020, 04:19:17 PM »
Just received mine. Pfizer.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #840 on: December 18, 2020, 06:08:37 PM »
Just received mine. Pfizer.

I think you're the first here. Hope it goes uneventfully.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #841 on: December 18, 2020, 06:20:35 PM »
Eye'm jellus. If ya score sum xtra Pfizer or Moderna, help a bro out, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #842 on: December 18, 2020, 06:34:54 PM »
Eye'm jellus. If ya score sum xtra Pfizer or Moderna, help a bro out, hey?

Even though you aren't a first responder or ER or ICU provider, it would seem a dentist oughta be pretty high on the list. Any idea what level of priority you have?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #843 on: December 18, 2020, 07:13:22 PM »
1A in Wisconsin, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #844 on: December 18, 2020, 08:12:19 PM »
1A in Wisconsin, hey?

👍

Hopefully the line moves quickly.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #845 on: December 18, 2020, 08:13:03 PM »
FDA just officially approved Moderna vaccine for emergency use.

Facilities should begin receiving doses by Monday.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #846 on: December 18, 2020, 10:30:49 PM »
A = UW Hospital
B = Meriter
C = SSM Health

Pretty obvious.

Bingo. A keeps sending positives to B, where no vaccinated workers work.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #847 on: December 19, 2020, 07:44:56 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #848 on: December 19, 2020, 08:16:25 AM »
Pence wasn't listening to Tucker Carlson, who told his viewing audience to not trust the vaccines.

From today's AP article ...

Pence didn’t flinch during the quick prick, nor did his wife, Karen ...

... who is used to her husband's quick prick.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #849 on: December 19, 2020, 10:49:58 AM »
vaccine drive immunity on top of illness driven immunity topic. 

https://twitter.com/erictopol/status/1339998897498775552?s=21