[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 356902 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #350 on: October 07, 2020, 03:09:59 PM »
Both/and, not either/or.

Yep. I only parenthetically added 'overemphasis?' for those who are concerned with the total $$$ outlay, in which case the funding could have been more balanced.

But on this one, I agree - we should have properly funded both, instead of focusing disproportionately on vaccines and practically ignoring monoclonal antibodies.

Also my opinion, and not at all related to any information I have from others, but I believe that member of the Trump administration did not, and still do not, fully understand the difference between antibody treatments from convalescence plasma, and these monoclonal cocktails. I think this led some in the administration to simply decide, the convalescent plasma would be a sufficient bridge to a vaccine.

I know that's just speculation on your part (which you acknowledge), but it would be an inexcusable misunderstanding given the gravity of the crisis. Not beyond belief...but inexcusable.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #351 on: October 07, 2020, 06:20:40 PM »
Have they ever been asked why these monoclonal antibodies weren’t included?  Would be interesting to see if the medical folks consulting Operation Warp Speed fought for the inclusion and told no for some reason or if it was really never discussed by Fauci, Birx, etc.. as an option.
Because Trump put the Secretary of Failure in charge
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #352 on: October 07, 2020, 07:05:56 PM »
Jared Kushner, leave it up to the states and the markets.   

And

here

we

are
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #353 on: October 08, 2020, 10:25:10 AM »
I think it is also only fair to add additional reasons for why Regeneron was largely the only monoclonal therapy targeted in operation warp speed.

Trump regularly golfs with the CEO of Regeneron, and as recently as 2017 (unknown about current status) owned stock in Regeneron.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #354 on: October 08, 2020, 01:45:45 PM »
I think it is also only fair to add additional reasons for why Regeneron was largely the only monoclonal therapy targeted in operation warp speed.

Trump regularly golfs with the CEO of Regeneron, and as recently as 2017 (unknown about current status) owned stock in Regeneron.

Makes one wonder if they would have ignored monoclonals altogether if not for Trump's golfing buddy.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #355 on: October 08, 2020, 05:42:50 PM »
On the treatments front.  Anybody ever take dexamethasone?  The more I read about it, it seems safe, but also seems that you shouldn't try to do your day job while taking it. 

Curious of any firsthand experience?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 05:46:30 PM by rocky_warrior »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #356 on: October 08, 2020, 06:43:14 PM »
On the treatments front.  Anybody ever take dexamethasone?  The more I read about it, it seems safe, but also seems that you shouldn't try to do your day job while taking it. 

Curious of any firsthand experience?

We also don’t know if it was a single dose or he is getting it daily. He even forces his doctors to sign NDAs, so we may never know.

If he is taking it daily, buckle up. It’s gonna be a rough ride.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #357 on: October 08, 2020, 06:54:01 PM »

We also don’t know if it was a single dose or he is getting it daily. He even forces his doctors to sign NDAs, so we may never know.

If he is taking it daily, buckle up. It’s gonna be a rough ride.

Today he also admitted he pushed/asked for some of his treatments. So, there's that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #358 on: October 08, 2020, 07:06:46 PM »
This is pretty effen good:

The antibody cocktail for Covid-19 that President Trump touted on Wednesday afternoon was developed with cells originally derived from fetal tissue, a practice that his administration has moved to restrict.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/08/world/covid-coronavirus?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20201008&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=headline&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=40317&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa#the-treatment-that-trump-touted-as-a-cure-for-covid-19-was-developed-using-cells-derived-from-fetal-tissue

In June 2019, the Trump administration suspended federal funding for most new scientific research involving fetal tissue derived from abortions.

“Promoting the dignity of human life from conception to natural death is one of the very top priorities of President Trump’s administration,” the Department of Health and Human Services said in a statement in 2019, around the time of the ban.

“Intramural research that requires new acquisition of fetal tissue from elective abortions will not be conducted,” the statement added.

Mr. Trump last week received Regeneron’s cocktail of monoclonal antibodies — essentially, antibodies synthesized in living cells and administered to help the body fight off the infection.

To develop the antibodies, Regeneron relied on 293T, a cell line derived from the kidney tissue of an aborted fetus in the 1970s. At least two companies racing to produce vaccines against the coronavirus, Moderna and AstraZeneca, also are using the cell line.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #359 on: October 08, 2020, 08:41:41 PM »
This is pretty effen good:

The antibody cocktail for Covid-19 that President Trump touted on Wednesday afternoon was developed with cells originally derived from fetal tissue, a practice that his administration has moved to restrict.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/08/world/covid-coronavirus?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20201008&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=headline&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=40317&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa#the-treatment-that-trump-touted-as-a-cure-for-covid-19-was-developed-using-cells-derived-from-fetal-tissue

In June 2019, the Trump administration suspended federal funding for most new scientific research involving fetal tissue derived from abortions.

“Promoting the dignity of human life from conception to natural death is one of the very top priorities of President Trump’s administration,” the Department of Health and Human Services said in a statement in 2019, around the time of the ban.

“Intramural research that requires new acquisition of fetal tissue from elective abortions will not be conducted,” the statement added.

Mr. Trump last week received Regeneron’s cocktail of monoclonal antibodies — essentially, antibodies synthesized in living cells and administered to help the body fight off the infection.

To develop the antibodies, Regeneron relied on 293T, a cell line derived from the kidney tissue of an aborted fetus in the 1970s. At least two companies racing to produce vaccines against the coronavirus, Moderna and AstraZeneca, also are using the cell line.

Most biochemical research relies on 293T cells. You name a modern discovery and I'm almost certain those cells were used somewhere along the way.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #360 on: October 08, 2020, 10:35:18 PM »
Can I ask to my more science/biology informed people why that fetus was so special?

Why can the 293T cell not be used from others?
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #361 on: October 08, 2020, 11:29:54 PM »
Can I ask to my more science/biology informed people why that fetus was so special?

Why can the 293T cell not be used from others?

Some very general information. This is an old cell line, originally formed in the 1970s. The 293T has very little meaning relative to the original source material. It was simply the 293rd attempt at making a stable cell line from human embryonic kidney cells (hence them being more commonly referred to as HEK293 cells). The 293T is a later derivative where they have incorporated the simian vacuolating virus 40 T antigen (SV40). Incorporating SV40 T-antigen makes protein expression in these cell lines more efficient.

There was really nothing special about the fetus. Back then, it was just hard to generate a stable cell line, hence 293 attempts, it is believed that this cell line is not actually a kidney derived cell line but likely derived from adrenal tissue accidentally present in the sample.

In modern research there are tons of different cell lines used depending on what you are actually studying. The advantage of HEK293 cells is that they are very easy to maintain, very easy to introduce foreign DNA into (called transfection), which makes them very efficient producers of proteins of interest (recombinant protein expression).

And since they are easy to maintain and propagate, research labs around the world are still using cells derived from that first experiment in the 70's. Being quite honest, those cells from a single legally aborted fetus in the 70's has saved millions and millions of lives.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #362 on: October 12, 2020, 08:11:53 PM »
A second phase 3 vaccine study has been paused due to an adverse event in a participant. First the Astra Zeneca trial, and today the Johnson & Johnson trial.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/10/12/johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine-study-paused-due-to-unexplained-illness-in-participant/

This is not shocking – it happens all the time in clinical trials – but shows why it was foolish to promise aggressive timelines that clearly assumed everything would go perfectly. It never does in drug/vaccine research.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #363 on: November 01, 2020, 02:37:26 PM »
Has anyone gotten one of the 100 million doses of Covid 19 vaccines that White House CoS Mark Meadows promised would be ready to go by the end of October?
It’s November after all.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #364 on: November 01, 2020, 07:24:48 PM »
Has anyone gotten one of the 100 million doses of Covid 19 vaccines that White House CoS Mark Meadows promised would be ready to go by the end of October?
It’s November after all.

I hear you have to go to the wall that Mexico built to get it. Only way to get there is on all the new infrastructure. But, you can only get the vaccine, if you are enrolled in the big new beautiful health care plan.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #365 on: November 05, 2020, 02:21:02 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #366 on: November 05, 2020, 09:12:26 PM »

I hear you have to go to the wall that Mexico built to get it. Only way to get there is on all the new infrastructure. But, you can only get the vaccine, if you are enrolled in the big new beautiful health care plan.

Wow, you really put a bow on that!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #367 on: November 06, 2020, 08:31:02 AM »

Damn those cute little mink!

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Denmark-finds-covid-strain-that-might-hamper-15701598.php

A nasal spray that blocks the virus worked well in a study that tested it on ferrets. If it works in humans, it could be a new way to fight the pandemic, with a daily spritz up the nose.

Maybe the mink can get ahold of that!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #368 on: November 06, 2020, 03:44:50 PM »
A nasal spray that blocks the virus worked well in a study that tested it on ferrets. If it works in humans, it could be a new way to fight the pandemic, with a daily spritz up the nose.

Maybe the mink can get ahold of that!

How would you like to be the lucky lab tech who got the spray stuff up ferrets’ noses while trying not to get bitten?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #369 on: November 06, 2020, 04:05:07 PM »

How would you like to be the lucky lab tech who got the spray stuff up ferrets’ noses while trying not to get bitten?

I mean, it's probably better than having to administer a suppository!

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #370 on: November 09, 2020, 06:24:31 AM »
Sounds like Pfizer vaccine is very effective. Great news if the trial gets some more safety data. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/health/covid-vaccine-pfizer.html

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #371 on: November 09, 2020, 07:00:59 AM »
Sounds like Pfizer vaccine is very effective. Great news if the trial gets some more safety data. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/health/covid-vaccine-pfizer.html

Amazing news!!  Blows the doors off the expectations of 60-70% efficacy.

Congrats Pfizer, starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  With a vaccine now showing 90% efficacy and at the doorstep of being made available to the public should all federal funds move towards this one vaccine to ramp up production as quickly as possible?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #372 on: November 09, 2020, 07:11:08 AM »
Amazing news!!  Blows the doors off the expectations of 60-70% efficacy.

Congrats Pfizer, starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  With a vaccine now showing 90% efficacy and at the doorstep of being made available to the public should all federal funds move towards this one vaccine to ramp up production as quickly as possible?

I have read having multiple versions can be helpful, for example the I believe it is the Johnson & Johnson one that only requires one shot, versus 2 for this and the other ones.  Some other trials also have vaccines that can be stored at different temperatures, which again can help with the scalability since not all medical offices have the right storage units to keep the vaccines cold enough.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #373 on: November 09, 2020, 07:20:52 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-114500360.html

This is good news.    However, I suspect that it will end up being an annual vaccine, like the flu shot.     Unless the anti-bodies last.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #374 on: November 09, 2020, 07:29:56 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-114500360.html

This is good news.    However, I suspect that it will end up being an annual vaccine, like the flu shot.     Unless the anti-bodies last.

Reason number 17 why Pfizer's stock will go to $99999999999 per share today.