[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 372443 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #2975 on: July 09, 2021, 09:55:35 AM »
Forgetful - is this calc against a positive test, symptomatic disease or severe disease.  My understanding are more people are getting infections, but most are not serious.  Still the case in Israel right?

This is the calculation in general. The 63% are for active infections. I believe the number for severe cases from the delta-variant is 93% right now. So still very effective on that front.

But remember that a lot of mild cases lead to long term effects and problems.

My guess, and it is only a guess. Is 50% efficacy for active infections is the breaking point where you will see the CDC/FDA etc. advocate for boosters.

The companies are looking at different types of boosters right now:
1) Simply another dose.
2) An equivalent dose, but using mRNA that codes for an active variant.
3) A new type of dose that uses RNA that encodes for the entire spike protein instead of just the portion being used in current vaccines.

Of these, 1 is the easiest. My guess, Pfizer/Moderna could get that approved in a month. 2 is also easy, but since it is a new formulation (technically), slightly longer. In all honesty, 3 I'm a bit wary of. I'd like to pour over the data on that guy before lining up.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 10:11:47 AM by forgetful »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2976 on: July 09, 2021, 05:33:44 PM »
The statement from them indicated that a booster is not needed now, but indicated they are actively testing boosters.

Translation for the lay-person. You will need a booster soon, but one isn't approved, or ready yet, so we will tell you one isn't needed (most have been vaccinated in the past 6-months). This statement will change as soon as boosters are ready.

The real world data in places like Israel clearly shows we will require boosters as soon as they are ready.

Immunity to the Delta variant down to 63%.

Sultan doesn’t really put things in context.

Seriously, though, I actually have a friend who is in the test group for the booster shot. He also had been in the test group for the original Pfizer vaccine, having received his last August.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2977 on: July 11, 2021, 10:48:31 AM »
Things move indoors for the summer in the deep South. That's why their cases really climbed at the end of June last year. The South is behind on vaccinations so far so we should have an early test.

Cases up 45% week over week in the US (highest since mid-May, so nothing crazy). Vaccinations are way down, lowest weekly shots since early January.

States that are struggling with a big >80% rise in new cases?
Arkansas, Missouri, Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi

Of that group only Florida has above 40% of their population vaccinated, yet 67.5% of American adults have at least one shot.

surprisedPikachu.jpg

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2978 on: July 11, 2021, 11:39:36 AM »
No surprise.   The best defense is viewed with skepticism and plagued by lies on the internet.   Nowhere near herd immunity.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2979 on: July 11, 2021, 11:58:35 AM »
Cases up 45% week over week in the US (highest since mid-May, so nothing crazy). Vaccinations are way down, lowest weekly shots since early January.

States that are struggling with a big >80% rise in new cases?
Arkansas, Missouri, Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi

Of that group only Florida has above 40% of their population vaccinated, yet 67.5% of American adults have at least one shot.

surprisedPikachu.jpg

That’s SEC Country.  It just means more
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2980 on: July 12, 2021, 03:13:33 PM »
Newsmax host says vaccines are against nature, and some diseases are supposed to wipe out parts of the population.
I mean, it's literally a death cult at this point.

https://theweek.com/news/1002522/newsmax-host-suggests-vaccines-are-against-nature-because-some-diseases-are-supposed

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2981 on: July 12, 2021, 04:46:07 PM »
Newsmax host says vaccines are against nature, and some diseases are supposed to wipe out parts of the population.

https://theweek.com/news/1002522/newsmax-host-suggests-vaccines-are-against-nature-because-some-diseases-are-supposed

That what I’ve been saying. At CPAC over the weekend, they were thunderously cheering every  anti-vaxxer message.

Thankfully, they are killing their own people.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2982 on: July 12, 2021, 05:20:15 PM »

The best thing for this planet would be for humans to die off. I bet he's an evangelical tree hugger at heart.

"Save the whales, kill all humans!"

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2983 on: July 12, 2021, 06:01:40 PM »
That what I’ve been saying. At CPAC over the weekend, they were thunderously cheering every  anti-vaxxer message.

Thankfully, they are killing their own people.
While simultaneously heaping praise on Trump for, apparently, single-handedly creating the vaccine...which they refuse to take.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2984 on: July 12, 2021, 07:18:17 PM »
The best thing for this planet would be for humans to die off.

Sounds like Thanos.

Of course, he'd be a cultist, worshiping You Know Who.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2985 on: July 12, 2021, 07:42:37 PM »
Sounds like Thanos.

Of course, he'd be a cultist, worshiping You Know Who.

Or see Dan Brown's book and movie, Inferno .

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2986 on: July 12, 2021, 10:37:50 PM »
On numerous occasions during the T-PAC conference over the weekend, attendees cheered enthusiastically anytime one of the many anti-vaxxer speakers criticized the vaccines.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2987 on: July 12, 2021, 10:41:01 PM »
On numerous occasions during the T-PAC conference over the weekend, attendees cheered enthusiastically anytime one of the many anti-vaxxer speakers criticized the vaccines.

I think that is what I said.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2988 on: July 13, 2021, 07:10:26 AM »
I think that is what I said.

Sorry. Somehow missed that earlier. My bad.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2989 on: July 13, 2021, 04:19:51 PM »
Death Cult.

Tennessee abandons vaccine outreach to minors — not just for COVID-19
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/health/2021/07/13/tennessee-halts-all-vaccine-outreach-minors-not-just-covid-19/7928701002/

"The Tennessee Department of Health will halt all adolescent vaccine outreach – not just for coronavirus, but all diseases – amid pressure from Republican state lawmakers, according to an internal report and agency emails obtained by the Tennessean. If the health department must issue any information about vaccines, staff are instructed to strip the agency logo off the documents.

"Decisions to ratchet back outreach comes amid pressure from conservative lawmakers, who have embraced misinformation about the coronavirus vaccine, said Dr. Michelle Fiscus, Tennessee's former top vaccine official.

Fiscus was fired without explanation on Monday. Fiscus said she was scapegoated to appease lawmakers, who had described routine vaccine outreach as “reprehensible.”

This rush to stake out ever more extreme positions is not going to end well.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2990 on: July 13, 2021, 06:33:25 PM »
Wow, that's absolutely crazy stuff, TS!

Here's a Charlotte Observer article about an otherwise healthy 26-year-old firefighter who didn't think he needed the vaccine. He got COVID-19 in May and it almost killed him -- was in a coma and was hospitalized for 6 weeks.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article252727513.html?

“I never thought it would happen to me. I was hard-headed. I was thinking: I’m young .... It hit me harder than it hit anybody else I know. I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2991 on: July 13, 2021, 07:03:11 PM »
Norwegian Cruise Lines wants to require passengers to show proof that they have had the COVID-19 vaccine. It's common sense for an industry that, basically, is huge, floating petri dishes.

But the "pro-business, hands-off, small-government" GOP in Florida passed a law taking this power away from businesses in the state.

Norwegian is suing.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3714950-norwegian-cruise-line-sues-florida-official-over-vaccine-proof

The company claims the ban restricts the flow of information - i.e., vaccine documentation - and thus inhibits freedom of speech, and disrupts the flow of interstate and international commerce, which is regulated only by the U.S. Congress.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2993 on: July 15, 2021, 12:35:02 PM »
Glad it's all over.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/really-surprising-vaccinated-chicago-man-who-got-covid-after-vacation-warns-others/2555320/

https://www.businessinsider.com/covid-vaccine-breakthrough-infection-delta-variant-fully-vaccinated-las-vegas-2021-7

I'm not directing this at you personally, GE, so please don't take it that way.  ;D

Something like 99.6% of all hospitalizations in the US from Covid are from the unvaccinated.  You can't cite stories like this as though they are common.  They're wildly rare, but they get people riled up and drive clicks.  So they accomplish their goal.

If you're vaccinated, stop worrying.

And if the goal here is to make people feel bad about being unvaccinated, I'm sure they've gotten that message for the last four months.  Beating them over their heads with information, facts and the like isn't going to work.  These folks are entrenched in their illogical beliefs, and there is really no helping them. 

We can encourage people to continue to get vaccinated, but my guess is that there is massive diminishing returns from doing that.  Furthermore, we can worry about a new variant spreading in the US from the unvaccinated, but until the rest of the world has access to the vaccines is isn't something to worry about.  Our society needs to stop thinking that imaginary borders stop the spread of the virus.  If another variant pops up across the globe, it will inevitably spread to the US despite our efforts.

Basically, just worry about yourself and your family getting vaccinated, and then you have nothing to really worry about (statistically speaking).  You can't control all of society, so don't worry about it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #2994 on: July 15, 2021, 12:44:50 PM »
Spot on. We knew from the start that the vaccines were approximately 95%+ effective. That is why we hear the alarmist tales. The reason they dribble out one at a time is because they are rare.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2995 on: July 15, 2021, 12:57:14 PM »
I'm not directing this at you personally, GE, so please don't take it that way.  ;D

Something like 99.6% of all hospitalizations in the US from Covid are from the unvaccinated.  You can't cite stories like this as though they are common.  They're wildly rare, but they get people riled up and drive clicks.  So they accomplish their goal.

And if the goal here is to make people feel bad about being unvaccinated, I'm sure they've gotten that message for the last four months.  Beating them over their heads with information, facts and the like isn't going to work.  These folks are entrenched in their illogical beliefs, and there is really no helping them. 

We can encourage people to continue to get vaccinated, but my guess is that there is massive diminishing returns from doing that.  Furthermore, we can worry about a new variant spreading in the US from the unvaccinated, but until the rest of the world has access to the vaccines is isn't something to worry about.  Our society needs to stop thinking that imaginary borders stop the spread of the virus.  If another variant pops up across the globe, it will inevitably spread to the US despite our efforts.

Basically, just worry about yourself and your family getting vaccinated, and then you have nothing to really worry about (statistically speaking).  You can't control all of society, so don't worry about it.

Yeah I'm not worrying, I'm going to St. Louis this weekend, traveled to a large wedding in Minneapolis, visited Denver all since getting my vaccine. But stats mean nothing to the individual and given nobody believed my anecdotal evidence about my sister and brother in law getting it after being vaccinated I decided to post more instances to get a certain someone to STFU.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 01:04:45 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2996 on: July 15, 2021, 02:35:33 PM »

Bang on.  Its news blurbs that ignite the unique intersection of anti-vaxxers and panicked doomers who miss being able to breathlessly spaz over each COVID mania headline of mid 2020, obviously for different reasons.

And if you want to mock some "its over" people.  Ive had a half dozen people I work with in India say Covid is done and its an after thought there  :o....while also saying they expect to wear masks into Spring 2022

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2997 on: July 16, 2021, 10:06:55 AM »
Its over for the vaccinated, unless you continue to drink the government's kool-aid, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2998 on: July 16, 2021, 12:23:54 PM »
Its over for the vaccinated, unless you continue to drink the government's kool-aid, hey?

The government is doing their job. This is still a pandemic, despite your selfishness. Too many unvaccinated returned to normal life, too many unvaccinated will die.

Schools will return with return in the Fall, maskless. This is a large looming petri dish for children under 12.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2999 on: July 16, 2021, 12:28:25 PM »
How is 4ever being "selfish."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow