Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: How Much Is NIL Worth To Student Athletes?  (Read 23568 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: How Much Is NIL Worth To Student Athletes?
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2021, 03:54:44 PM »
"Little" is a relative term. I think NIL helps the "little guy" when you figure Zion Williamson and Trevor Lawrence are the "little guys" as compared to Duke Basketball and Clemson Football. And some money will spread around at lower levels, I think. If anyone is presenting NIL as evening the playing field between superstars in revenue sports and role players or SAs in non-revenue sports, I haven't heard that. I'm not saying people aren't saying that; it's quite possible they are (and wouldn't be the first or the last time a completely unrealistic reason is given for something).

But if we're talking "little guys" like the third string OG or a tennis player or something similar as compared to the superstars...yeah...those "little guys" are not going to do as well under NIL. But, like some have said, I that there will be some surprises out there on who does well. I'd imagine a VB player in Nebraska or a wrestler in Iowa will be able to earn some money.
Im sure there will be some unique cases like you note  and some creative cases using social media and technology.  As for the BB Zion’s of the world, they have lucrative alternatives to the Dukes of the world.  Don’t like NIL, but it’s coming live very soon.  Will be very interesting to see how it plays out.  Hopefully the NCAA and it’s member schools adjust well.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2021, 04:53:40 PM »
But, I don’t think that’s where the proponents of NIL legislation in various states are coming from or expect.  They believe they are helping the little guy and that they look like the good guy in the eyes of their electorates.   That’s what makes it weird.  The “rich” get richer.

A single student athlete is a "little guy." NCAA member schools are the "big guys" in this scenario. No one is arguing that this won't benefit top football and men's basketball players significantly more than other sports.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2021, 05:00:54 PM »
A single student athlete is a "little guy." NCAA member schools are the "big guys" in this scenario. No one is arguing that this won't benefit top football and men's basketball players significantly more than other sports.
Im obviously slicing and dicing beyond that obvious distinction.  The elites in FB and BB will just get more.  The vast majority of SAs will be wondering what this was really all about.  There will be those unusual cases and the creative ones, but the elites will be the ones cashing in on this.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2021, 05:43:18 PM »
Im obviously slicing and dicing beyond that obvious distinction.  The elites in FB and BB will just get more.  The vast majority of SAs will be wondering what this was really all about.  There will be those unusual cases and the creative ones, but the elites will be the ones cashing in on this.

I think you are underestimating the number of SAs who will benefit.

And no one is arguing against your point about basketball and football players benefiting the most. That doesn't lessen the fact that this will be more fair for all student athletes.
TAMU

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2021, 07:12:16 PM »
I think you are underestimating the number of SAs who will benefit.

And no one is arguing against your point about basketball and football players benefiting the most. That doesn't lessen the fact that this will be more fair for all student athletes.
The number of SAs might be higher but the $$ will be minimal for the most part.  But, I’m done here.  It’s going to happen and we will see what happens.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2021, 09:18:00 PM »
The number of SAs might be higher but the $$ will be minimal for the most part.  But, I’m done here.  It’s going to happen and we will see what happens.

In addition to underestimating the number of SAs who will benefit, you also underestimate how much "minimal" money means to many families in this country.
TAMU

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2021, 09:48:21 PM »
In addition to underestimating the number of SAs who will benefit, you also underestimate how much "minimal" money means to many families in this country.
Not really.  Where is this money coming from.  Are SAs going to have Go Fund Me sites? Seriously, some might latch onto something. But......?  Hope some can get some meaningful $$$, but is that realistic?  Great for those that do.  Doubt that this is a money machine.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2021, 09:48:58 PM »
At Michigan, or Ohio State, or Texas, sure. But at Northern Illinois? An HBCU? Monmouth? Those schools are not "raking in money" from athletes, and their coaches and administrators are not making millions while kids are getting $200K plus of scholarships, gear, and other benefits. AD's know this is going to tilt the balance of power even more than it is now. Kids are asking about NIL during recruiting. One call I was on regarding the subject, Miami's rep said establishing a department to market SA's social media profiles and brand is more important than having academic advisors.

OK.

And I didn't say EVERY school was raking in money. Lots are. Their coaches and athletic directors sure are.

My use of the term stemmed from Nukem's statement that giving an athlete a scholarship was the same as those students "raking in money."
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 10:55:57 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2021, 10:29:36 PM »
Not really.  Where is this money coming from.  Are SAs going to have Go Fund Me sites? Seriously, some might latch onto something. But......?  Hope some can get some meaningful $$$, but is that realistic?  Great for those that do.  Doubt that this is a money machine.

As have been explained to you already in this thread, it can come from numerous places, social media, getting employment at softball, basketball, baseball, volleyball, wrestling, gymnastic, insert sport here camps, giving private lessons, starting their own businesses, and who knows how many other ways.

The point you seemed to miss in the last post is that even minimal money can make a huge difference in some families' lives. Even if a student athlete only makes a hundred bucks because of NIL, that's a hundred more bucks then they would have had without it. For many, every little bit matters.
TAMU

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2021, 08:24:36 AM »
OK.

And I didn't say EVERY school was raking in money. Lots are. Their coaches and athletic directors sure are.

My use of the term stemmed from Nukem's statement that giving an athlete a scholarship was the same as those students "raking in money."

I’ll take credit for the “raking in money” comment.  Similar to the getting “peanuts” comment you made.  Both were hyperbole and both do not help our arguments.     
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:48:29 AM by Shooter McGavin »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2021, 10:12:54 AM »
I’ll take credit for the “raking in money” comment.  Similar to the getting “peanuts” comment you made.  Both were hyperbole and both do not help our arguments.   

You're right. I will amend my "relative peanuts" to:

Compared to those making real money under the system that major college basketball and football has operated under for decades, the athletes received relative peanuts in cash but did receive something of value -- in lots of cases, significant value -- that, eventually, could have resulted in them making real money.

MUFanSince77

• Walk-On
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2021, 11:11:06 AM »
Non-football and basketball athletes leverage their Olympic or off-the-college-field/court channels to achieve their fame/value.  They leverage college for a free education.

Basketball and football athletes depend upon the structure of NCAA sports and the investments and administrative systems schools make in them to achieve their value.  If you take away that structure those athletes will suddenly see that value diminished.  Very few college football athletes that achieve the value individually independent of school, coach and surrounding talent.

In football this will further diminish competitive balance and push more towards a super-league whereby teams with the greatest resources will provide athletes the maximum earning potential. 

Basketball may be different as a single athlete or two can achieve notoriety and value regardless of team market (think Durant/Westbrook in OKC or Lebron in Cleveland).  Certain individuals may choose to take the Marquette scholarship and individual notoriety while others may want to play with their other valuable peers at Kentucky or elsewhere.  Where the NLI money comes from and how disparate the checks they will get will influence how much the talent pipeline tilts even further to select schools.  Some may decide big fish-small pond drives more eyeballs but the money will dictate.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2021, 11:16:10 AM »
In football this will further diminish competitive balance and push more towards a super-league whereby teams with the greatest resources will provide athletes the maximum earning potential.

I'm not exactly sure how college football could get less competitively balanced than it is currently.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2021, 11:29:24 AM »
I'm not exactly sure how college football could get less competitively balanced than it is currently.

This was my first thought. 5 schools account for 22 of the 28 of the College Football Playoff appearances. If anything, NIL will give some additional ammo to other P5 teams to challenge the big 5.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2021, 11:35:21 AM »
Basketball and football athletes depend upon the structure of NCAA sports and the investments and administrative systems schools make in them to achieve their value.  If you take away that structure those athletes will suddenly see that value diminished.  Very few college football athletes that achieve the value individually independent of school, coach and surrounding talent.

...NBA and NFL players also depend on the structure of their leagues. If Lebron was just some dude shooting hoops in his backyard you don't think he would "suddenly see that value diminished?"

The NCAA increases the student athletes' value. The student athletes increase the NCAA's value. Neither would be successful without the other.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2021, 11:42:26 AM »

This.

The NCAA increases the student athletes' value. The student athletes increase the NCAA's value. Neither would be successful without the other.

And this. Though it would be fun to see the NCAA conduct sports seasons without athletes. Maybe the coaches could have chair-throwing contests!