[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How Much Is NIL Worth To Student Athletes?  (Read 24138 times)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: How Much Is NIL Worth To Student Athletes?
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2021, 09:36:52 AM »
Classic NCAA.

N.C.A.A. Chief, Pressured by State Laws, Pushes to Let Athletes Cash In

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/08/sports/ncaabasketball/ncaa-endorsements-mark-emmert.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20210508&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=headline&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=57597&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

Five states are poised to allow college athletes to profit from their fame starting on July 1, and the N.C.A.A.’s leader says the association is preparing to respond.

In other words, we no longer can choose to keep these athletes under our thumbs as they make billions and billions of dollars a year for us while receiving relative peanuts in return, so we're finally ready to do what legislatures and courts will force us to do anyway.

Understand your point.  But relative peanuts is misinformation and exaggeration.  You sound like Fox News on Covid 19 vaccinations.  These athlete’s get $200,000 worth of scholarships.  Room and board.  Access to personal trainers and specialized medical staff.  Access to unbelievable equipment and resources to develop their game.  Uncalculated value marketing themselves on a national stage. 

We get your point. But they are not making relative peanuts.  That is completely disingenuous. They are raking in money now.  Hopefully some will get a couple thousand more a year.  The elite athletes (.001 %) like Zion who shouldn’t have to go to college anyway will make more.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2021, 09:53:20 AM »
Understand your point.  But relative peanuts is misinformation and exaggeration.  You sound like Fox News on Covid 19 vaccinations.  These athlete’s get $200,000 worth of scholarships.  Room and board.  Access to personal trainers and specialized medical staff.  Access to unbelievable equipment and resources to develop their game.  Uncalculated value marketing themselves on a national stage. 

We get your point. But they are not making relative peanuts.  That is completely disingenuous. They are raking in money now.  Hopefully some will get a couple thousand more a year.  The elite athletes (.001 %) like Zion who shouldn’t have to go to college anyway will make more.

While I agree with your point if the school you end up at is an in state directional school your scholarship valued amount is well south of 200k, plus plenty of smaller schools aren't getting unbelievable equipment and resources.

Just pointing out your argument only makes sense at higher level schools and/or private schools.
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2021, 09:56:58 AM »
That is completely disingenuous. They are raking in money now.

Hm. 

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2021, 10:11:37 AM »
May the team with the richest donors win.

Maybe there should be a salary cap - even the pro sports needed to regulate how much they can pay players.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2021, 10:12:55 AM »

Maybe there should be a salary cap - even the pro sports needed to regulate how much they can pay players.

No, they didn't need to. They chose to.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2021, 10:52:38 AM »

So like now right? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2021, 04:55:29 PM »
Btw the NCAA has had YEARS to figure this out. And they have decided to push it out and ignore the writing on the wall. Now apparently they want Congress to intervene and give them anti-trust exemption.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2021, 12:02:30 AM »

Getting a full ride -- which at many colleges and universities is worth far less than $200K -- is not the same as "raking in money."

Schools are raking in money. Athletic directors are raking in money. Coaches are really raking in money. Lots of assistant coaches are raking in money. All of the above individuals actually have good money direct-deposited into their checking accounts at regular intervals. And they get to market themselves. And there is no cap on what they can earn. And they can profit off their own NILs if they so choose.

At the end of four years, under current rules, a basketball or football player at any of those schools will have not raked in money unless the coach cheated. Indeed, he would have made very close to zero dollars -- relative peanuts. It's easy to see why the schools, ADs and coaches have loved the system since the dawn of big-time sports -- they have raked in money, the athletes who have worked their arses off have raked in bupkis.

Now, has the athlete received something of value, something that he could parlay into future earnings? Certainly. But again, that's not the same as "raking in money."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2021, 02:16:36 PM »
The value they receive is enormous for their services.  It is disingenuous to state otherwise.   Peanuts is simply wrong.  Raking in the money is too (however now that I’m sending my kids to college it’s seems like they are raking in the money).  But that is my major problem with NIL advocates.  The hyperbole that these poor athletes are being taken advantage of.  They are being paid handsomely.  Should they have the right to more?  Yes.  But $100,000 (low end 4 year scholarship) * 13 players * 330 teams = a half a billion every fours years just for basketball and that is low end.   Most top end high profile athletic schools cost more.  That doesn’t even consider the money (billions) these schools spend on facilities and amenities for these athletes to make them comfortable and cater to their every need. 

I hope average NCAA athletes get paid an extra $100 a year for the video game licensing fees they so richly deserve and future Zions get millions for the one year they are at Duke.  Just don’t tell rational people they are getting little to nothing now.  You are not correct with that line of thinking.

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2021, 04:32:26 PM »
The value they receive is enormous for their services.  It is disingenuous to state otherwise.   Peanuts is simply wrong.  Raking in the money is too (however now that I’m sending my kids to college it’s seems like they are raking in the money).  But that is my major problem with NIL advocates.  The hyperbole that these poor athletes are being taken advantage of.  They are being paid handsomely.  Should they have the right to more?  Yes.  But $100,000 (low end 4 year scholarship) * 13 players * 330 teams = a half a billion every fours years just for basketball and that is low end.   Most top end high profile athletic schools cost more.  That doesn’t even consider the money (billions) these schools spend on facilities and amenities for these athletes to make them comfortable and cater to their every need. 

I hope average NCAA athletes get paid an extra $100 a year for the video game licensing fees they so richly deserve and future Zions get millions for the one year they are at Duke.  Just don’t tell rational people they are getting little to nothing now.  You are not correct with that line of thinking.

I hope you realize that video game royalties is a small fraction of the potential for NIL rights. The reason the NCAA is dragging their feet is because they know that this will likely move $$$ from their members to the student athletes.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2021, 05:51:50 PM »
Understood.  But the hyperbole of the poor God forsaken athletes who make peanuts is rather annoying.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2021, 10:53:40 PM »
Again, Shooter, getting something of value is not the same as  “making money.”

But yes, a college education can be a means toward making money eventually.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2021, 07:48:51 AM »
No, but it does have rather the same impact.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2021, 08:08:31 AM »

Not really. If I earn money from my NIL, I have money in my pocket.

If I make progress toward a degree -- which is all most major-program college basketball players can do because they are too busy meeting the demands of their "jobs" as semi-professional athletes for big-money "corporations" -- I still have lots of work to do before I even see any $$$.

And even those who do graduate with degrees are guaranteed nothing. When I graduated Marquette in 1982, America was in the middle of a major recession and jobs were difficult to come by. Any jobs, let alone those in our chosen fields.

And that's life. Recessions happen. I'm not asking for "guarantees." What I'm asking is that college athletes have the right to control and profit from their own names, images and likenesses -- as you and I and every other free person in America does.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2021, 09:01:06 AM »
How many everyday people get money for their NILs?  Much less scholies and R&B and whatever. 

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2021, 09:11:23 AM »
How many everyday people get money for their NILs?  Much less scholies and R&B and whatever. 

Not many, but I am not sure why that matters.  College athletes would definitely be able to, but are being prevented from doing so due to rules that don't make sense to a lot of people.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2021, 09:18:42 AM »

If my family is starving now,  progress towards a degree doesn't help them for years at earliest. That's a huge difference
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2021, 09:25:00 AM »
I think we underestimate the amount of money that could be made by being an influencer on Social Media. I’ve got friends that make a nice living off of a blog or Instagram page.

Kids make money just by broadcasting themselves playing video games. I believe athletes are only able to profit off of something like that if it is completely unrelated to their status as a student athlete. Which I would imagine is so fine of a line, it’s not worth the risk of crossing it on accident.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2021, 10:16:01 AM »

All everyday people are eligible to get money for their NIL. Including most that earn scholarships.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2021, 10:40:07 AM »
All everyday people are eligible to get money for their NIL. Including most that earn scholarships.
Sure, but how many people make money from their name or image or likeness as opposed to skills or invention or labor or whatever.  We really are talking about endorsement money for an athletes mugshot.

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2021, 10:46:25 AM »
Sure, but how many people make money from their name or image or likeness as opposed to skills or invention or labor or whatever.  We really are talking about endorsement money for an athletes mugshot.

Mugshot???

And anyway, what exactly is wrong with "endorsement money?" 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2021, 11:17:27 AM »

The IRS agrees

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2021, 12:13:59 PM »

Mugshot???

And anyway, what exactly is wrong with "endorsement money?"
Mugshot...well that’s pretty much all what you will see in endorsements by SAs.  In any event, I’m focusing more on the very small number of people that would benefit much from the NIL stuff.  It’s really only going to benefit the more elite athletes who could make money by being pros anyway.  I agree to disagree if you don’t mind.

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2021, 12:19:23 PM »
Mugshot...well that’s pretty much all what you will see in endorsements by SAs. 

Um why?  Videos, social media, etc.  You are acting like its 1985 or something.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2021, 12:42:14 PM »
Um why?  Videos, social media, etc.  You are acting like its 1985 or something.
Obviously, I’m overstating it.  But that’s not really any different than Jose Perez (for example) being on a car commercial or whatever on whatever platforms or media.  I think NIL stuff is nonsense for the most part.  Now, if one is talking about an SA being able to make money coaching basketball skills (for example again) at a camp I’m far more agreeable since that involves actual work for pay as opposed to making endorsements that no one cares about or will even consider to be valid.