[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How Much Is NIL Worth To Student Athletes?  (Read 24142 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: How Much Is NIL Worth To Student Athletes?
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2021, 07:01:45 PM »
I would imagine with Emperor Barry moving on, this will have some more legs.  He was pretty emphatically against it.

My biggest hope and excitement with all of this is a return of a CBB game for PS/XBOX

The current makeup of Wisconsin state government leads me to believe Wisconsin will be one of the last states to move toward some type of NIL legislation.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2021, 07:47:35 PM »

Because now the top players go all sorts of places right?

Sorry, but this isn't that hard.  Letting them earn off their likeness, at no direct cost to the school, is a no-brainer that a decade from now no one will figure out what the big deal was.  Just like amateurism at the Olympics.

One of the biggest issues is whether the schools can be involved. Under some proposed legislation schools would have to hire whole departments to market student athletes. I was on a Zoom seminar recently where we were told that having a staff to do the NIL work for SA’s is more important than having academic advisors. It’s not eligibility or getting a degree, it’s making them Tik Tok celebrities now.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

🏀

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2021, 08:06:20 PM »
One of the biggest issues is whether the schools can be involved. Under some proposed legislation schools would have to hire whole departments to market student athletes. I was on a Zoom seminar recently where we were told that having a staff to do the NIL work for SA’s is more important than having academic advisors. It’s not eligibility or getting a degree, it’s making them Tik Tok celebrities now.

Keefe would’ve been Theo’s first subscriber on OnlyFans if allowed.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2021, 08:08:01 PM »
This is just another step in the eventual end of college sports (bball, football) as we have known it. Its a good thing. Top athletes can be paid and i forsee non-scholorship students playing for their schools. I'll always follow MU hoops. Not sure I'll care about minor league basketball but I'm happy they get paid. Also, Michigan State moving on from it's association with basketball, something I predicted years ago, is more significant than NLI,

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2021, 08:20:01 PM »

I have no idea why the schools would need to be involved.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2021, 08:21:15 PM »
Michigan State moving on from it's association with basketball, something I predicted years ago, is more significant than NLI,

Huh?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUFanSince77

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2021, 09:09:51 PM »
When those who value the NIL of college athletes are provided the opportunity to compensate them (directly or indirectly) they will want to maximize that value.  Any who think that doesn’t mean an inability to retain competitively balanced college sports and a play for education model are kidding yourselves.  This who don’t care are oddly present on a college basketball message board.  It may be entirely lawful and just but who will care when there is no more college sports left to enjoy.  The simple answer is a system where the best players go pro and those who wish to be a part of the education for play model sign a contract understanding the expectations that come with it.  Anything different inevitably becomes semi-pro in one form or another and will collapse the delicate system or college athletics which would personally sadden me even if the athletes have a right to their NIL.  If the system of college sports is eventually gone who really cares and who really wins?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2021, 09:30:06 PM »
There will be college sports.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2021, 11:09:26 PM »
This is just another step in the eventual end of college sports (bball, football) as we have known it. Its a good thing. Top athletes can be paid and i forsee non-scholorship students playing for their schools. I'll always follow MU hoops. Not sure I'll care about minor league basketball but I'm happy they get paid. Also, Michigan State moving on from it's association with basketball, something I predicted years ago, is more significant than NLI,

No, they just took eight figures from a billionaire alumnus so his company would be the “presenting sponsor” of basketball. It’s a massive advertisement buy, that’s all.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2021/03/15/michigan-state-men’s-basketball-will-be-‘presented-rocket-mortgage’

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2021, 07:21:56 AM »
No, they just took eight figures from a billionaire alumnus so his company would be the “presenting sponsor” of basketball. It’s a massive advertisement buy, that’s all.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2021/03/15/michigan-state-men’s-basketball-will-be-‘presented-rocket-mortgage’
How long before Quicken Loans is paying Izzo and the players directly? I say less than 10 years. Then the IRS will get their share. The die is cast my friends.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2021, 07:39:45 AM »
NIL doesn't address the root of the problem. They players are at their most valuable when they're being recruited out of high school. The issue is the NCAA member institutions have effectively colluded together to cap the compensation they will give a player.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2021, 07:44:06 AM »
When those who value the NIL of college athletes are provided the opportunity to compensate them (directly or indirectly) they will want to maximize that value.  Any who think that doesn’t mean an inability to retain competitively balanced college sports and a play for education model are kidding yourselves.  This who don’t care are oddly present on a college basketball message board.  It may be entirely lawful and just but who will care when there is no more college sports left to enjoy.  The simple answer is a system where the best players go pro and those who wish to be a part of the education for play model sign a contract understanding the expectations that come with it.  Anything different inevitably becomes semi-pro in one form or another and will collapse the delicate system or college athletics which would personally sadden me even if the athletes have a right to their NIL.  If the system of college sports is eventually gone who really cares and who really wins?

Regarding the bolded...it isn't competitively balanced now.  Different schools get different $$$ based on conference affiliation, etc. And those schools can provide more perks, etc.

Furthermore, I actually reject your premise.  A school that champions an aggressive NIL program can actually use it to their advantage.

And finally, doomsday projections almost always look foolish in the long run.  So I don't believe the situation is nearly as dire as you are projecting.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2021, 08:17:16 AM »
And finally, doomsday projections almost always look foolish in the long run.  So I don't believe the situation is nearly as dire as you are projecting.

This, this, and more this.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2021, 11:57:18 AM »
How long before Quicken Loans is paying Izzo and the players directly? I say less than 10 years. Then the IRS will get their share. The die is cast my friends.

There is legit speculation that the deal was done to set MSU hoops up for NIL.

What situation MSU is in. Two billionaire alumni who hate each other fighting for control of the athletic department. Oh, the humanity!

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2021, 12:46:29 PM »
Makes perfect sense to me. Since Coach McGuire, how many of our players would have made big dollars from their image and likeness while they were at Marquette?

Butch Lee, maybe? Perhaps Glenn Rivers. Lee because his success came in the 1976 Olympics and in 1977 occurred during his junior year.

Nationally, I could see Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Bill Walton at UCLA, maybe Michael Jordan and James Worthy at North Carolina, Pete Maravich at LSU, Bill Russell at USF and maybe a couple of Dukies. I'm sure I am missing a few here and there, but by and large, I can't imagine there are many college stars who can make massive amounts of money from their image and likeness. Especially since the very best turn pro after a year or two.

Also keep in mind that the images you see of athletes are carefully crafted. Their diction and appearance worked on for years by professionals and that costs an enormous amount of money -- something college athletes DON'T have. Too many college athletes are raw and their language skills not tilted toward a mass, adult audience.

The women do well in no small measure because they're appealing and attractive. Don't shoot me for saying so, but sex appeal sells!

It doesn't matter how big or small the name is.  A donor now can effectively be a shell company and pay whatever they want to get the person they want on "Their" team, in the form of an endorsement. 

Hopefully, we see a long line of MU Recruits saying "One Call, That's All" on TV.  David Gruber is going to give the MU team a lot of exposure. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2021, 01:05:21 PM »
It doesn't matter how big or small the name is.  A donor now can effectively be a shell company and pay whatever they want to get the person they want on "Their" team, in the form of an endorsement. 

Once there actually is a national rule, you don't expect there to be limits?

Maybe there won't be. Good for the athletes.

There will be an adjustment period, just as there always is whenever there is a significant rule change (be they on the court/field/ice or off). And then the new normal will have ended up being just fine.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2021, 01:18:16 PM »
Once there actually is a national rule, you don't expect there to be limits?

Maybe there won't be. Good for the athletes.

There will be an adjustment period, just as there always is whenever there is a significant rule change (be they on the court/field/ice or off). And then the new normal will have ended up being just fine.

National Rule?  Last I heard, maybe a year ago, it was being taken up in around 22 state legislatures.  It's a state issue.  All it does is bring the under the table money to the forefront in greater sums now.  There's now a private system available to pay college athletes.  That money will now flow through as endorsements in many shapes and forms.   Anyone on here could effectively pay a college athlete to come to MU via endorsement.  Now, the interesting thing will be what kind of strings will be attached to that money ie - Number of years played, no transferring, stay out of trouble, etc. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2021, 01:26:46 PM »
Who are we gonna pay to endorse MUScoop?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2021, 01:37:10 PM »

People said the same thing when the NCAA decided to allow athletes to get summer jobs. "A donor can effectively be a shell company and pay whatever they want to get the person they want on "Their" team, in the form of a summer internship. Somehow, the NCAA has found a way to successfully regulate it. I think they will find a way to regulate endorsements.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2021, 01:54:48 PM »
National Rule?  Last I heard, maybe a year ago, it was being taken up in around 22 state legislatures.  It's a state issue.  All it does is bring the under the table money to the forefront in greater sums now.  There's now a private system available to pay college athletes.  That money will now flow through as endorsements in many shapes and forms.   Anyone on here could effectively pay a college athlete to come to MU via endorsement.  Now, the interesting thing will be what kind of strings will be attached to that money ie - Number of years played, no transferring, stay out of trouble, etc.

I know this is asking a lot of any Scooper, but let's relax a little until we see what actually happens.

Crazy thought, to be sure.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2021, 04:20:53 PM »
Who are we gonna pay to endorse MUScoop?

Inspire Brands

The parent company of Arby's of course

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2021, 04:31:49 PM »
Inspire Brands

The parent company of Arby's of course

Hah.  But I meant which player would like to be paid in Arby's coupons, to represent MUScoop of course.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2021, 07:17:21 PM »
Hah.  But I meant which player would like to be paid in Arby's coupons, to represent MUScoop of course.

Davante Gardner

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2021, 07:45:37 PM »
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2021, 08:21:18 AM »
Classic NCAA.

N.C.A.A. Chief, Pressured by State Laws, Pushes to Let Athletes Cash In

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/08/sports/ncaabasketball/ncaa-endorsements-mark-emmert.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20210508&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=headline&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=57597&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

Five states are poised to allow college athletes to profit from their fame starting on July 1, and the N.C.A.A.’s leader says the association is preparing to respond.

In other words, we no longer can choose to keep these athletes under our thumbs as they make billions and billions of dollars a year for us while receiving relative peanuts in return, so we're finally ready to do what legislatures and courts will force us to do anyway.

feedback