[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Close to Home Reports  (Read 68688 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Close to Home Reports
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2020, 04:21:04 PM »
Wife and I both work in hospitals in Madison. Had close friends tested, but no positives yet. Feel super anxious before going to work and calm/ peaceful when I’m there, like getting in the zone. Waiting for a ramp up, if there is one.

chick jr., who works as a charge nurse at St. Luke's, has been remarkably calm about the whole crisis.  She'd rather treat a person with Covid-19 than someone with scabies or bedbugs.

Everyone gets wigged out by different things.
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2020, 04:46:10 PM »
Not only that, FL still doesn't have a stay at home order in place. So while these people can't even get off the boat to a quarantined area, millions of possibly infected people can wander free. That will kill a heck of a lot more Floridians than a few people moved from a boat to quarantine.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2020, 04:55:36 PM »
The governor also said that he wants to save Florida hospital beds for Floridians. Which is morally suspect on a number of levels.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2020, 05:25:17 PM »
The governor also said that he wants to save Florida hospital beds for Floridians. Which is morally suspect on a number of levels.

Morally suspect, and also likely impossible to enforce. Frontline healthcare providers are trained to triage patients based on medical need and likelihood of benefit...not geography. It will be hard enough for them to turn away elderly patients or those with significant comorbidities, but I just can't any doctor or nurse turning away an otherwise healthy 35-year old with a good prognosis for recovery, just because he happens to reside in another state.

And then there are the legal implications. Just off the top of my head, it raises potential malpractice and licensure issues for providers, JCAHO accreditation issues for the hospital, and Medicare reimbursement issues for both.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2020, 06:54:01 PM »

Morally suspect, and also likely impossible to enforce. Frontline healthcare providers are trained to triage patients based on medical need and likelihood of benefit...not geography. It will be hard enough for them to turn away elderly patients or those with significant comorbidities, but I just can't any doctor or nurse turning away an otherwise healthy 35-year old with a good prognosis for recovery, just because he happens to reside in another state.

And then there are the legal implications. Just off the top of my head, it raises potential malpractice and licensure issues for providers, JCAHO accreditation issues for the hospital, and Medicare reimbursement issues for both.

EMTALA requires by law any person entering any ED, receive standard treatment.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2020, 07:50:21 PM »
EMTALA requires by law any person entering any ED, receive standard treatment.

I hate when medical people refer to ER's as ED.  I get it, it's not just a room but come on.  We had agreed it was an ER.  Just like we agreed we were Warriors.  Name changed never work.  Except for Juan Toscano.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2020, 08:02:27 PM »
chick jr., who works as a charge nurse at St. Luke's, has been remarkably calm about the whole crisis.  She'd rather treat a person with Covid-19 than someone with scabies or bedbugs.

eff bedbugs. Chick Jr. is smart.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2020, 10:12:01 PM »
I hate when medical people refer to ER's as ED.  I get it, it's not just a room but come on.  We had agreed it was an ER.  Just like we agreed we were Warriors.  Name changed never work.  Except for Juan Toscano.

Ha, correct, but at least you know who knows what they are talking about. 

Agree, I miss most about work is casual conversations between everyone, just sitting around getting through our days.  Not so much doing that right now.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2020, 04:55:19 PM »
Hards, sorry about our gov.

DeSantis says he’ll order a rescue from stranded cruise ship — but only the people from Florida

DeSantis plans to rescue only the 49 Floridians on the ship. None of the other 1,200 passengers on board — including the 250 Americans from other states and the 400 Canadians — will be rescued.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/desantis-says-hell-order-a-rescue-from-stranded-cruise-ship-but-only-the-people-from-florida/

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2020, 05:20:24 PM »

DeSantis says he’ll order a rescue from stranded cruise ship — but only the people from Florida

DeSantis plans to rescue only the 49 Floridians on the ship. None of the other 1,200 passengers on board — including the 250 Americans from other states and the 400 Canadians — will be rescued.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/desantis-says-hell-order-a-rescue-from-stranded-cruise-ship-but-only-the-people-from-florida/

Wow. That’s something.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2020, 06:07:18 PM »

No need to apologize.  Honestly, I think they'll let the people off who are NOT sick, and have travel plans in order.  The idea being that they can get the 'healthy' people out of state asap.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2020, 07:16:07 PM »
Maybe a law talking guy can explain how a governor can prevent people from entering his state.

I get it .. it's a foreign travelled vessel with passengers from many states/countries, but I'd think the US Customs office would be in charge of who gets into the country or not.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2020, 09:32:57 PM »
Maybe a law talking guy can explain how a governor can prevent people from entering his state.

I get it .. it's a foreign travelled vessel with passengers from many states/countries, but I'd think the US Customs office would be in charge of who gets into the country or not.

Just a guess...but I wouldn’t be surprised if POTUS’ declaration of a state of emergency resulted in governors getting broader authority than they would ordinarily have...and they are probably defined vaguely enough to give him the argument that he has the power to do this.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2020, 01:10:19 PM »
Looks like the Zaandam passengers who are not currently sick will be allowed to disembark at Port Everglades and go home. Sounds like great news for your parents, Hards!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/us/holland-america-cruise-ships-florida/index.html

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2020, 01:36:20 PM »
Looks like the Zaandam passengers who are not currently sick will be allowed to disembark at Port Everglades and go home. Sounds like great news for your parents, Hards!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/us/holland-america-cruise-ships-florida/index.html

It is great news.  They moved to the Rotterdam a few days ago with the other 'healthy' people.  My parents are hoping to get off the boat tomorrow morning and onto a plane back to Wisconsin.  Hopefully, they will be home by tomorrow afternoon or evening.  But then again, nothing about this has been easy, so I'll be taking the wait and see approach. 

Hoping for a swift conclusion to all of this.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2020, 02:35:33 PM »
Great news. Hope they are healthy and happy. Bet they will be glad to be home.
If you are close by, perhaps you could stock their house with basics.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2020, 05:41:07 PM »
Really hoping they are back safe tomorrow.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2020, 10:20:25 PM »
First, let me join those rooting for Hards' parents.

As for another "close to home" situation ...

I am not friends with Adam Schlesinger. Never met him. But I've been a big Fountains of Wayne fan for years, and I was both saddened and shocked to read he had died.

And this paragraph of an article about his death definitely hits "close to home":

The 52-year-old Grammy-winning songwriter had no underlying medical issues and appeared healthy just three weeks before his death at an upstate New York hospital, friends and colleagues told The Post.

Schlesinger was not obese and apparently did not have asthma, lung disease, diabetes, etc. In other words, he was a healthy 52-year-old, and this effen virus killed him anyway.

If that doesn't open the eyes of some folks, who think "only" old people, obese people and others who "aren't like us" are dying from this thing, I don't know what will.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2020, 10:59:50 PM »

Schlesinger was not obese and apparently did not have asthma, lung disease, diabetes, etc. In other words, he was a healthy 52-year-old, and this effen virus killed him anyway.

If that doesn't open the eyes of some folks, who think "only" old people, obese people and others who "aren't like us" are dying from this thing, I don't know what will.

Yep. Old age and several illnesses can increase the risk, but this virus can kill anyone. And it spreads like wildfire, even from asymptomatic carriers. Anyone who could stay home but doesn’t is needlessly risking their own lives...and the lives of people they might spread it to if they become infected.

STAY HOME PEOPLE!

Archies Bat

• All American
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 10:41:33 AM by Archies Bat »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2020, 08:43:17 AM »
First, let me join those rooting for Hards' parents.

As for another "close to home" situation ...

I am not friends with Adam Schlesinger. Never met him. But I've been a big Fountains of Wayne fan for years, and I was both saddened and shocked to read he had died.

And this paragraph of an article about his death definitely hits "close to home":

The 52-year-old Grammy-winning songwriter had no underlying medical issues and appeared healthy just three weeks before his death at an upstate New York hospital, friends and colleagues told The Post.

I was reading about Chris Cuomo at CNN.  He was sharing his ongoing experience.
He had such a bad fever he was hallucinating.  He saw his deceased father, Mario.
He had the fever shakes so bad he chipped a tooth.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2020, 08:56:18 AM »

Radiation Vibe was an absolute anthem for our group of friends in college.  We had two friends who got out of their res life agreement for sophomore year and got a place at Kensington (915 N 15th).  Being a rare sophomore apt they had an inordinate amount of parties.  Each night peaked when the FoW CD was cued up.  So sad.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2020, 03:15:12 PM »
Radiation Vibe was an absolute anthem for our group of friends in college.  We had two friends who got out of their res life agreement for sophomore year and got a place at Kensington (915 N 15th).  Being a rare sophomore apt they had an inordinate amount of parties.  Each night peaked when the FoW CD was cued up.  So sad.

They did plenty of good work after it, but that debut album was sensational. I love the way Radiation Vibe ends!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2020, 03:24:45 PM »
Hey Julie is one of my favorite songs.