'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wade S16 and E8 Highlights  (Read 3877 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Wade S16 and E8 Highlights
« on: March 26, 2020, 10:49:24 AM »
I'm not sure if people have seen these up on Youtube, but I found these last night.  Needless to say, I have never seen a better two game performance by anyone in a Marquette uniform.  And I love Bill Raftery's reactions!

Enjoy!

Wade highlights v. Pitt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgB1q2xB750

Wade highlights v. Kentucky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IpOoIOFqdg&t=334s
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

oldwarrior81

• All American
Re: Wade S16 and E8 Highlights
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 10:53:17 AM »
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:11:21 PM by oldwarrior81 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 11:33:58 AM »
A man among boys.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 02:10:11 PM »
And yet he was left out of the OSM video.  Which considering the exposure Wade gets today is really unbelievable. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 09:12:21 PM »
A man among boys.

I’ve watched a ton of NCAA tournament games over the last 50+ years. Wade’s second half vs Pitt and game against Kentucky are the best 30 in weekend 2 I’ve ever seen.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 10:15:00 PM »
I’ve watched a ton of NCAA tournament games over the last 50+ years. Wade’s second half vs Pitt and game against Kentucky are the best 30 in weekend 2 I’ve ever seen.

Man it was so much fun.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mug644

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 10:19:12 PM »
Watching those highlights reminds me how critical Travis was in that tournament. He scored 29 to help the team get past Holy Cross in the round of 64, then steered the offense and fed Dwyane for those highlight buckets against Pitt and Kentucky.

Fun to watch and great to recall!

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 11:35:26 AM »
Watching those highlights reminds me how critical Travis was in that tournament. He scored 29 to help the team get past Holy Cross in the round of 64, then steered the offense and fed Dwyane for those highlight buckets against Pitt and Kentucky.

Fun to watch and great to recall!

That team had weapons at all of the critical positions which is why they were so tough to guard

Inside Presence:  Robert Jackson - could score inside/play with back to the hoop, great rebounder
Shot Creator:  Dwayne Wade could literally get a shot from almost anywhere on the court which opened it up for teammates.
Floor General:  Diener - could find open guys, shoot midrange/hit from 3
Wing:  Novak - Deadly 3 pt shooter that would make opponents pay if defense collapsed on Jackson/Wade
Complementary Big Man:  Scott Merrit - solid rebounder, can score if Jackson in foul trouble.

Literally, no weaknesses on offense.  This is what a blueprint for high caliber team looks like.  Now compare to what we've had last 6 years and see all the gaps we've had that haven't been filled.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 12:17:36 PM »
That team had weapons at all of the critical positions which is why they were so tough to guard

Inside Presence:  Robert Jackson - could score inside/play with back to the hoop, great rebounder
Shot Creator:  Dwayne Wade could literally get a shot from almost anywhere on the court which opened it up for teammates.
Wing:  Novak - Deadly 3 pt shooter that would make opponents pay if defense collapsed on Jackson/Wade
Complementary Big Man:  Scott Merrit - solid rebounder, can score if Jackson in foul trouble.

Literally, no weaknesses on offense.  This is what a blueprint for high caliber team looks like.  Now compare to what we've had last 6 years and see all the gaps we've had that haven't been filled.

God can you just shut up? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 12:49:38 PM »

God can you just shut up?
Ignore feature is your friend in these times of need.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 01:55:55 PM »

What depth!! You should be a color commentator or analyst.  Such insight!  Who knew?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 10:47:13 PM »

I usually disagree with MDS on his comments and general disdain for the current state of the program, but I feel like this breakdown is totally fair.  Some people will disagree because of his previous posts, but this is accurate.

To be clear I'm a projo and cooling on that take.  I realized the game has changed and the bigs are required to do more perimeter work defensively (ideally offensively too) than they had to in the past.

In 19/20 we had

We only a defensive presence at the 5.   Theo and JJ scored on dump offs, and 40% accuracy hook shots.  They were liabilities on the defensive end off the bounce.

Markus was as dynamic of a scorer as we've seen at mu, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching him put the ball through the hoop, but he didn't open the offense for others the way that wade did.  Wade could facilitate for others.  Markus didn't as much. It could have been a lack of confidence from the others, it could have been a lack of talent, or it could have need M2N dominating the ball because he needed to.

We didn't have a facilitator at the point this year.  Koby was a defensive presence, but he played WAAAAYYYY too out of control to be our primary ball handler.  I hope he finds his stride next year, but if I see him throw a bullet pass at the feet of a wide open perimeter player and then throw his arms up that the didn't convert it I will be frustrated.

Sacar was a solid wing, but he wasn't able to shoot over defenders the way Novak could.  He had a quick first step and scored more buckets that way, but he wasn't someone we could rely on for a bucket when Markus was on the floor.  All looka that were decent weren't as good as a tough Markus shot in his eyes.  It's ok to rely on others, but he was a better player that wasn't given the boost of confidence that he needed in order to be a consistent threat.

We didn't have a supplemental big.  I think we would all argue that a supplemental wing player is far more important in today's game, but we didnt have that either.  Jamaal played well here and there down the stretch and BB played well in some early season games, but the lack of a consistent rotation didn't allow either guy to get a grasp on their game.  Jamaal is a stretch 4 in a 2's body, and BB is a 3/undersized 4 that is primarily a catch and shoot guy as of right now.  If BB can add a go to post fade or different high post move this offseason I'll be thrilled for him and the program. Jamaal needs a handle. He doesn't need a go to move, he just needs to be able to possess the ball and impose some sort of threat other than a shot.

End of novel. Back off of MDS's fair point.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 11:49:26 PM »

Novak was a weapon at a critical position?

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 06:48:28 AM »
Ignore feature is your friend in these times of need.

IGNORE is great, until someone "Quotes" them ! ! !   UGH  ! ! !   >:(

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 07:34:22 AM »
I usually disagree with MDS on his comments and general disdain for the current state of the program, but I feel like this breakdown is totally fair.  Some people will disagree because of his previous posts, but this is accurate.

To be clear I'm a projo and cooling on that take.  I realized the game has changed and the bigs are required to do more perimeter work defensively (ideally offensively too) than they had to in the past.

In 19/20 we had

We only a defensive presence at the 5.   Theo and JJ scored on dump offs, and 40% accuracy hook shots.  They were liabilities on the defensive end off the bounce.

Markus was as dynamic of a scorer as we've seen at mu, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching him put the ball through the hoop, but he didn't open the offense for others the way that wade did.  Wade could facilitate for others.  Markus didn't as much. It could have been a lack of confidence from the others, it could have been a lack of talent, or it could have need M2N dominating the ball because he needed to.

We didn't have a facilitator at the point this year.  Koby was a defensive presence, but he played WAAAAYYYY too out of control to be our primary ball handler.  I hope he finds his stride next year, but if I see him throw a bullet pass at the feet of a wide open perimeter player and then throw his arms up that the didn't convert it I will be frustrated.

Sacar was a solid wing, but he wasn't able to shoot over defenders the way Novak could.  He had a quick first step and scored more buckets that way, but he wasn't someone we could rely on for a bucket when Markus was on the floor.  All looka that were decent weren't as good as a tough Markus shot in his eyes.  It's ok to rely on others, but he was a better player that wasn't given the boost of confidence that he needed in order to be a consistent threat.

We didn't have a supplemental big.  I think we would all argue that a supplemental wing player is far more important in today's game, but we didnt have that either.  Jamaal played well here and there down the stretch and BB played well in some early season games, but the lack of a consistent rotation didn't allow either guy to get a grasp on their game.  Jamaal is a stretch 4 in a 2's body, and BB is a 3/undersized 4 that is primarily a catch and shoot guy as of right now.  If BB can add a go to post fade or different high post move this offseason I'll be thrilled for him and the program. Jamaal needs a handle. He doesn't need a go to move, he just needs to be able to possess the ball and impose some sort of threat other than a shot.

End of novel. Back off of MDS's fair point.

The point is that’s not the topic of this thread. He’s made similar points elsewhere.

And now you are too. Thanks. 🙄🙄🙄

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 12:16:48 PM »
The point is that’s not the topic of this thread. He’s made similar points elsewhere.

And now you are too. Thanks. 🙄🙄🙄

Fair enough.  Sorry.  Had a restless baby last night and got carried away. 

Reset:
Wade was awesome, and watching those games were the most fun I can recall in all of my years watching basketball.  Thanks for sharing.  I will watch the whole games tonight.

feedback