[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: If there is a next season  (Read 9337 times)

lawdog77

• All American

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: If there is a next season
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 09:57:41 AM »
Yes indeed but the Big East is always tough. I think realistically we are 7-9 place next year. NIT bubble. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 10:06:17 AM »
Three Man Weave also had Nova & Creighton 1/2. Gonna be tough at the top.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 10:55:16 AM »
Stacked at the top no doubt, but what kind of depth will there be?

SH loses Powell, McKnight, and Gill.  PC loses Diallo, Holt, Pipkins, Watson, White and Young.  Butler is down Baddley, Baldwin, and McDermott.  X loses Goodin, and Jones, and both Marshall and Scruggs have already declared for the NBA once.   We obviously lose a lot.  Who's the third best team in the conference next year?

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 11:45:47 AM »
Stacked at the top no doubt, but what kind of depth will there be?

SH loses Powell, McKnight, and Gill.  PC loses Diallo, Holt, Pipkins, Watson, White and Young.  Butler is down Baddley, Baldwin, and McDermott.  X loses Goodin, and Jones, and both Marshall and Scruggs have already declared for the NBA once.   We obviously lose a lot.  Who's the third best team in the conference next year?

Quite possibly DePaul.  If Reed comes back and Coleman-Lands gets his waiver granted, they're definitely #3.

panda

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 11:53:41 AM »
UConn will be very good next year too.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 12:11:52 PM »
Quite possibly DePaul.  If Reed comes back and Coleman-Lands gets his waiver granted, they're definitely #3.

If someone rises from the bottom, I think it's St John's. They return 5/6 top scorers and were already proving they could play without Heron. Stylistically no one plays like them and they present a lot of matchup problems.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 12:56:53 PM »
If someone rises from the bottom, I think it's St John's. They return 5/6 top scorers and were already proving they could play without Heron. Stylistically no one plays like them and they present a lot of matchup problems.

They have a true PG in Posh Alexander coming in too that will make them better offensively. They still need more consistency from beyond the arc.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 01:00:02 PM »

Plus Mike Anderson is a very good coach

Eye

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 08:30:14 AM »
Agree with Panda. Think UConn will be 3rd best team in BE next year.
GO WARRIORS!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 11:49:52 AM »
Would it be wise for the NCAA to move the season up? Start games maybe October 15th, so the tournaments could start three weeks earlier.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 12:10:56 PM »
Would it be wise for the NCAA to move the season up? Start games maybe October 15th, so the tournaments could start three weeks earlier.

I don't understand the logic of this.

But anyway, I think schools need to be looking at the revenue implications of what a shortened season, or a season without fans in the stands, looks like.  I think people are by and large going to be able to go on about their business in a few weeks, but the prohibition against large crowds could last until a vaccine becomes widely available. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 12:39:16 PM »

And compete with baseball playoffs? Nah brah
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 01:41:34 PM »

But anyway, I think schools need to be looking at the revenue implications of what a shortened season, or a season without fans in the stands, looks like.  I think people are by and large going to be able to go on about their business in a few weeks, but the prohibition against large crowds could last until a vaccine becomes widely available.

The only reason I can think of is if this virus has a season like the flu does, and we don’t have a vaccine by next year’s season.

Just curious, do you have a more optimistic outlook about this than you did last week? This seems more optimistic than you seemed earlier. I haven’t been keeping up with the covid-19 threads so you may have explained there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 01:51:22 PM »
The only reason I can think of is if this virus has a season like the flu does, and we don’t have a vaccine by next year’s season.

Just curious, do you have a more optimistic outlook about this than you did last week? This seems more optimistic than you seemed earlier. I haven’t been keeping up with the covid-19 threads so you may have explained there.

My comment last week was mostly flippant.

I actually think there is a pretty decent chance that we have games without crowds (NBA and NHL playoffs, MLB season) for a few weeks.  And that depending on how things are going can even envision a college football and NFL season kicking off without crowds.

If this turns out to be an accurate article, the implications are pretty huge.  Can you see any sporting events with large crowds happening if ithis is accurate?  If it takes longer than a year, the college basketball season may be most definitely impacted.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/03/25/atalanta-valencia-coronavirus-champions-league-san-siro-milan-italy?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=si-soccer&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

The revenue implications are enormous.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 01:53:11 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 01:52:45 PM »

I actually think there is a pretty decent chance that we have games without crowds (NBA and NHL playoffs, MLB season) for a few weeks.  And that depending on how things are going can even envision a college football and NFL season kicking off without crowds.

If this turns out to be an accurate article, the implications are pretty huge.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/03/25/atalanta-valencia-coronavirus-champions-league-san-siro-milan-italy?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=si-soccer&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Yeah I saw that article yesterday. Wild/sad/scary.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 03:27:03 PM »

If this turns out to be an accurate article, the implications are pretty huge.  Can you see any sporting events with large crowds happening if ithis is accurate?  If it takes longer than a year, the college basketball season may be most definitely impacted.

The revenue implications are enormous.

Which is why New Orleans is blowing up right now (Mardi Gras) and I am holding my breath on Chicago.  March 14 was when everyone went out and celebrated St. Patricks Day.  Though all parades were cancelled, all the bars were open and jammed packed.  We are 13 days removed from that, so we will see if there is a huge spike in the next handful of days.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 03:30:56 PM »
Which is why New Orleans is blowing up right now (Mardi Gras) and I am holding my breath on Chicago.  March 14 was when everyone went out and celebrated St. Patricks Day.  Though all parades were cancelled, all the bars were open and jammed packed.  We are 13 days removed from that, so we will see if there is a huge spike in the next handful of days.

All the bars were not jam packed. Wrigleyville and river north was. I bagpiped at two bars (a huge decrease from my usual route before people yell at me), one was a ghost town, the other had less than half the crowd it usually would. 1 more day of incubation till that fallout should be over.
Maigh Eo for Sam

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2020, 04:51:40 PM »

The a mutated version of the virus is likely to return next year. The mutated version could be weaker or stronger. Vaccines are based on the current virus and are only effective, if the virus does not mutate too much.

I believe a virus will return next year in the same time frame. Moving the season up might allow us to get the tournament season in before it takes over our country again. You also could limit the non-conference games, and have the conference games start December 1st. That would move the postseason up 4 weeks without stating earlier.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2020, 04:59:19 PM »
The a mutated version of the virus is likely to return next year. The mutated version could be weaker or stronger. Vaccines are based on the current virus and are only effective, if the virus does not mutate too much.

I believe a virus will return next year in the same time frame. Moving the season up might allow us to get the tournament season in before it takes over our country again. You also could limit the non-conference games, and have the conference games start December 1st. That would move the postseason up 4 weeks without stating earlier.

If your scenario turns out to be accurate, then the games shouldn't be played with crowds at all.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 05:12:00 PM »

Coronavirus's don't mutate that rapidly. The bigger issue is likely to be two things.

1. We don't have that much herd immunity yet (hopefully we don't have 100M+ being infected by then). If that is the case, we do have another corona-season starting around september/October, depending on where in the US you live.

2. Immunity is not that long lived. There is precedence for this in coronaviruses, and China is seeing that 10% of people that recovered, have symptoms and test positive again after a month. This would lead to recirculation again. The question is, how long does some immunity last, and does enough immunity last so that it isn't very deadly. If not, we aren't having a season next year.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 05:07:55 PM »
I think many of the naysayers are writing us off before recruiting is complete and before we have finished with our roster. Let’s give the coaches a chance to do their thing before we write the team off for next year.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 10:00:37 PM »
I think many of the naysayers are writing us off before recruiting is complete and before we have finished with our roster. Let’s give the coaches a chance to do their thing before we write the team off for next year.
Agreed but as presently constructed any expectations above .500 is asking way too much of the team. We owe are guys realistic expectations. We'll have young talent that shouldn't be penalized for the team that they are coming into.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2020, 01:04:07 AM »

The coronavirus samples all over the world are highly conserved with extremely minor differences compared to most viruses.

The implications are that once a coronavirus vaccine is developed, it almost certainly won't be akin to the flu where you'll need to make predictions of mutations. The vaccine should just work like childhood vaccines we already take. And it should work for all coronaviruses.

Of course this brings into question why we didn't take SARS & MERS more seriously - for an incalculable fraction of the cost we could have already had a vaccine developed.

To keep this on sports - your scenario is pretty doomsday. The same virus will be around next year because we probably won't have a vaccine widely distributed yet. It's tough to predict the amount of herd immunity we'll have by then because it depends on how good/bad we respond now. Technically if we stay awful & sacrifice people now, we could gain enough herd immunity quickly to get our basketball back, based on herd immunity alone.

The other scenario to take into consideration is that treatments are going to be distributed much more quickly & will dramatically decrease the serious consequences. So even if we don't have a vaccine by next season, getting coronavirus might not be seen as quite as scary. (remember, getting basketball back is really about public opinion)

I could be wrong on that. But I think that several factors (herd immunity, but especially treatments) give us a somewhat good chance to have a regular basketball season.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 05:47:51 AM »
The problem with herd immunity is the number of deaths it would require. If we set herd immunity as 60% of the population, that's about 196,200,000 immune Americans. Which would be great. But at a 2.7% fatality rate (probably a low end estimate) that would require over 5,567,000 deaths.

Are we willing to kill 5.5 million people to get sports back sooner? I guess since we're well ahead of Italy and every other nation in terms of growth, we as a nation must be willing to find out.

And I'm not saying 5.5 million will die, just that herd immunity likely won't work in this case because getting there will take an obscene number of lives. To get herd immunity, we would need a vaccine first. That would allow us to build a herd without full infection and mortality rate that comes with it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 06:00:01 AM by brewcity77 »

feedback