[Today at 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 315672 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #1900 on: September 30, 2020, 11:35:42 AM »

My son had a high school friend who went to college in California.  She said it was amazing how little most Californians travel.  She wanted to get a group of her friends to come to Wisconsin for a short visit over the summer, go to Summerfest, find a place on a lake somewhere.  You would have thought she asked them to climb Mount Everest.

While living in California, our manager said he was taking a trip back east. When I asked where, he said Utah.  But Californians do travel - Nevada, Mexico, and Hawaii predominantly. Travel to what we might consider standard destinations are much farther for them. Europe is a long trip and much pricier. Quicker to get to Japan for them, but again pricey, both in airfare and staying.

I lived in Winston Salem, NC for a while. Most people I worked with had not traveled out of the state even though the border was a half an hour away. We used to go skiing in West Virginia for the day. Natives in WS thought it was an almost impossible task. They would ask two questions - how and why.

My daughter pointed out to me that she has visited more countries than states. We were going to change that this past summer, but um, no. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1901 on: September 30, 2020, 11:51:18 AM »
Test counts go up and down for, well, random reasons, at the whims of humans deciding they have a headache or think Bob from down the street coughed on them, or that they want to visit grampa and need a clean test.   Large bulk jumps likely mean an entire sector has motivation, like schools wanting all their students tested.

This is why I find the % positive reports to be a flimsy statistic.  It shows kinda sorta something on a particular day.

This is like anything...worthless if you only look at it in isolation or make wild decisions based on one day of info--helpful if trended especially within a mosaic of other statistics. 

I would agree that if you don't have a goal/intention to sufficiently test your population and sample your outbreak (incl asymptomatic) it is probably not that important to watch.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1902 on: September 30, 2020, 12:02:01 PM »
DHS just "corrected" their numbers.  They werent counting repeat testers, only people.  So if you are a high risk for getting it (medical, grocery store worker, etc.) and are testing weekly, your test wasn't being counted.  Only new people that tested were getting counted in the ratio.

So, if you tested in May and were negative, and then tested again in September, you weren't counted amoung the negatives.  (DHS's logic qas that they didnt want someone who was positive to test again, still be positive, and have that count as a new case.  *Dr Westerburg, Chief medical officer at DHS, 9/15/20.

Makes sense to not double count a still positive person, but when the positivity rate is being used as a metric to reopen, that horribly skews the data.

Positive rate dropped from 19% to 9% when all negative tests were counted.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1903 on: September 30, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »
DHS just "corrected" their numbers.  They werent counting repeat testers, only people.  So if you are a high risk for getting it (medical, grocery store worker, etc.) and are testing weekly, your test wasn't being counted.  Only new people that tested were getting counted in the ratio.

So, if you tested in May and were negative, and then tested again in September, you weren't counted amoung the negatives.  (DHS's logic qas that they didnt want someone who was positive to test again, still be positive, and have that count as a new case.  *Dr Westerburg, Chief medical officer at DHS, 9/15/20.

Makes sense to not double count a still positive person, but when the positivity rate is being used as a metric to reopen, that horribly skews the data.

Positive rate dropped from 19% to 9% when all negative tests were counted.

Well catastrophic to very bad. That's something.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1904 on: September 30, 2020, 01:27:05 PM »
I also believe they are not counting the surveillance testing in the daily state-wide reporting. Meaning if you are a nurse on a covid floor and are tested every third day or whatever, unless you pop positive they are not including those results in the daily count.

I believe the change in not reporting "duplicate" negatives is new. The case count has obviously grown but based on the changes in state reporting over the last two weeks, the %PR isn't useful as a comparison of now to previous in the pandemic.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1905 on: September 30, 2020, 01:39:51 PM »
Great system we have.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1906 on: September 30, 2020, 02:07:20 PM »

It's a fine stat if you use a 7-10 day rolling average.

Yep. And in WI it has been consistently over 15% for the past couple of weeks. The state currently lists the 7-day average as 17.2%. Way too high.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1907 on: September 30, 2020, 02:44:58 PM »
I also believe they are not counting the surveillance testing in the daily state-wide reporting. Meaning if you are a nurse on a covid floor and are tested every third day or whatever, unless you pop positive they are not including those results in the daily count.

I believe the change in not reporting "duplicate" negatives is new. The case count has obviously grown but based on the changes in state reporting over the last two weeks, the %PR isn't useful as a comparison of now to previous in the pandemic.

Its new because a wispolitics reporter called bullchit on DHS for not including all of the test data.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1908 on: September 30, 2020, 03:02:18 PM »
Its new because a wispolitics reporter called bullchit on DHS for not including all of the test data.

This sounds a lot more convoluted then how our state behaved.  They just kept adding test capacity until that plus lower spread got the positivity down.  Now they are watching it on the upswing lately to ensure they keep a handle on it--while trying to increase testing further.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1909 on: September 30, 2020, 03:51:14 PM »

Do you have a source that leads you to this conclusion, or are you just speculating?

I know people at hospitals here in MN, and every test they run is included in what they report to the state.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1910 on: September 30, 2020, 03:58:16 PM »

It's a fine stat if you use a 7-10 day rolling average.

Is it?  Not trying to be smart here, but why?

I get it .. the larger the sample size the better.  -- I mean, yeah, it'd be awesome to have a stat that says "7.2% of all Wisconsinites have it.  Yesterday that was 7.5%, so we're improving."  But when you are testing .0034% of the population/day, does it mean anything?

If it's a flimsy stat on Day 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, why does averaging seven flimsy stats together make it any better?

You are still at the whim of people going to get tested because they have a relatively random reason to do so, times 7. 

I don't understand the fascination.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1911 on: September 30, 2020, 04:06:54 PM »
As I understand it, it's an indication of how much it has spread in a community.

I think it meant more earlier on, because now the obvious answer is "a lot."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1912 on: September 30, 2020, 04:17:58 PM »
Is it?  Not trying to be smart here, but why?

I get it .. the larger the sample size the better.  -- I mean, yeah, it'd be awesome to have a stat that says "7.2% of all Wisconsinites have it.  Yesterday that was 7.5%, so we're improving."  But when you are testing .0034% of the population/day, does it mean anything?

If it's a flimsy stat on Day 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, why does averaging seven flimsy stats together make it any better?

You are still at the whim of people going to get tested because they have a relatively random reason to do so, times 7. 

I don't understand the fascination.

Reporting/testing is typically lower on the weekend.  A lot of people test monday morning before they go to work.  The techs are hungover on friday.  Lots of things.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1913 on: September 30, 2020, 04:26:20 PM »
https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/watch-live-governor-pritzker-gives-covid-19-update-ahead-of-new-restrictions-in-northwest-illinois/

Illinois is going to separate Champaign County metrics from the rest of the east central region due to the high number of tests at the U of I. Without Champaign, the region is over 7 percent, much higher than with Champaign in the mix.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1914 on: September 30, 2020, 05:13:27 PM »
Do you have a source that leads you to this conclusion, or are you just speculating?

I know people at hospitals here in MN, and every test they run is included in what they report to the state.

I know a person on the DHS data team
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1915 on: September 30, 2020, 05:42:15 PM »

"Hello, my name is mu03eng, and I work for for the DHS data team now"

I know...not what you said...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1916 on: September 30, 2020, 06:43:41 PM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1917 on: September 30, 2020, 07:21:54 PM »

Gotcha. Interesting that they're handling it this way, as it decreases the value of the positivity rate.

Just another example of how different reporting/testing practices among the states makes it so hard to compare the data.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1919 on: September 30, 2020, 10:16:16 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1920 on: October 01, 2020, 05:38:36 AM »
Inevitable.   Thanks to the choices being made.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1921 on: October 01, 2020, 09:27:07 AM »
Inevitable.   Thanks to the choices being made.

I see those choices every day.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1922 on: October 01, 2020, 02:29:20 PM »
MADISON - Air Force One is no longer planning to touch down in La Crosse on Saturday, suggesting President Donald Trump has likely changed one of two rallies he scheduled in Wisconsin this weekend in cities experiencing a surge in coronavirus cases.

The potential change of plans comes hours after La Crosse Mayor Tim Kabat asked Trump's campaign to cancel or postpone the rally the president planned to hold at the city's airport to avoid spreading the virus, which is infecting area residents at one of the highest rates in the country.

"From a perspective of trying to slow the spread of coroanvirus and trying to reduce our case numbers and get the challenges we're facing here in La Crosse under control, I'm pleased," Kabat said. "I understand with a campaign season and a presidential election, all of these things will become political but we're trying to do right by our community."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1923 on: October 01, 2020, 02:49:26 PM »
Odd that a return to college campuses by students, as well as a return to in person classes at the K-12 level would coincide with an unprecedented spike in cases, followed by a surge in deaths.

Who could have foreseen such a circumstance?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1924 on: October 01, 2020, 02:56:41 PM »
Odd that a return to college campuses by students, as well as a return to in person classes at the K-12 level would coincide with an unprecedented spike in cases, followed by a surge in deaths.

Who could have foreseen such a circumstance?

But that's not where it is coming from.  From what I have been told, the hospitalizations are being traced back to gatherings (family gatherings, bars, etc.) dating back into the summer.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback