collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Selling Collector Alcohol?  (Read 1829 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Selling Collector Alcohol?
« on: March 16, 2020, 03:31:16 PM »
Has anyone found really really old bottles over the years and sold them? I have an unopened bottles of at least 40yr old (Likely older) Black Label, Dewars, and Chivas Regal and I'm trying to find a way to sell them.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 03:34:18 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Selling Collector Alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 03:37:35 PM »
Has anyone found really really old bottles over the years and sold them? I have an unopened bottles of at least 40yr old (Likely older) Black Label, Dewars, and Chivas Regal and I'm trying to find a way to sell them.

Maybe you can work a deal with the guy who bought all that hand sanitizer, bleach, etc and no where to sell.................

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 04:06:07 PM »
I found some sealed Jim Beam and Johnny Walker at my parents over Christmas.   Probably from the late 70s.

Havent had time to research but am interested to see what people share.

Benny B

• All American
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 03:26:53 AM »

Can’t help you there, but on the flip side for collectors: Woodford Reserve has a KY DERBY souvenir bottle available this year, and seeing how the Derby won’t be run until September 5 (a date I have heard from multiple sources) if it is run at all, this is sure to be a sought-after collector bottle.

When the PGA moved the Ryder Cup back after the tragic events of 9/11/01, I purchased a Sweatshirt with the cancelled date on it, and kept it in the heavy plastic souvenir wrapper, never opened. I think I spent $48 bucks on it, and after a golfing buddy of mine saw it at my place, he had to have it and offered me $300. Think I was down at the track that weekend lol, so I took the offer.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 10:25:40 AM »

I know very little about this topic, but I don't really see there being a huge market for old blended scotch on the Dewars/Chivas tier. That's just middle of the road stuff. Its like an old bottle of $15 wine.

Maybe if it was a premium single malt.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 10:30:04 AM »
I know very little about this topic, but I don't really see there being a huge market for old blended scotch on the Dewars/Chivas tier. That's just middle of the road stuff. Its like an old bottle of $15 wine.

Maybe if it was a premium single malt.

True but I was at a bar in Chicago that has 50yr old bottles of Jim Bean and lower quality stuff going for >=32 an ounce. So I'm not expecting private collectors but some restaurant group doing "mixology" and craft cocktails.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 10:32:07 AM »
True but I was at a bar in Chicago that has 50yr old bottles of Jim Bean and lower quality stuff going for >=32 an ounce. So I'm not expecting private collectors but some restaurant group doing "mixology" and craft cocktails.

Hey, who knows man. All it takes is one person who really wants it for it to have a value. It is worth a shot.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 01:23:24 PM »
once its bottled it doesn't "age" anymore, so don't pay more for old liquor to drink.  Collect the bottle or whatever, sure if that's your deal, looks cool on a bar

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 01:35:12 PM »
once its bottled it doesn't "age" anymore, so don't pay more for old liquor to drink.  Collect the bottle or whatever, sure if that's your deal, looks cool on a bar

I know it doesn't age anymore, but here's an example The Office under the Aviary in Chicago and New York collects bottles like that which are just run of the mill old bottles and sells the drinks they make with them at insane rates, so there's a market out there.

There's also a site like this which has a standard Red Label going for $2500. And no i didn't consider that I could reach out to this place to sell the bottles.

https://www.thehouseofglunz.com/categories/spirits/rare-spirits.html?sort=alphaasc&page=3
Maigh Eo for Sam

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 02:29:59 PM »
wow! that site brought back memories. These were family friends growing up and my grandfather also had a business in Old Town. While at Marquette I managed a building he owned on Wells st. We had a tenant on the second floor that restored artwork for the Museum. I was always taking him to court for back rent. He'd cough up only  when we got in front of the judge.
My liquor doesn't last long enough to be considered"old"