[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Spring Break  (Read 3313 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
College Spring Break
« on: March 11, 2020, 10:15:49 PM »
No, I'm not going anywhere bad with this.  Shame on y'all for thinking poorly of ole ZFB.

Serious question though.  For college students or scoopers with college kids:  Are your kids still going on sprink break?  Meaning Cancun, South Padre, Volousia County, etc.  Are you/they worried about getting the corona? Or is it the immortalness of the young?

And are they contemplating staying longer, since school is out/"on-line"?  Flights are cheap right now, so that's another factor if they were to have to pay to change.

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: College Spring Break
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 09:15:06 AM »
MU on spring break now.  My daughter is waiting to hear if the school is letting school continue on campus or online with an announcement to come today.  She is at home due to an internship commitment.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 09:18:14 AM »
Colleges would rather cancel spring break and keep students around. The entire reason for delaying in class instruction is to get people through the two week incubation.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 09:35:33 AM »
So .. with estimates of 30-70% .. 150 million people .. it's not about not catching COVID19, it's more about not catching/spreading it TODAY.

Sure, those kids can fight the virus well.  But spring break = more infections = more spread, more quickly to everyone else.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 09:43:40 AM »
My family and I (two, 42 year-old parents, 3 kids ages 13, 11, and 7) are supposed to go to Riviera Maya on the 22nd.  Right now, that seems very much up-in-the-air.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 10:14:44 AM »
We're booked on a cruise in 8 days.   Going to cancel near the deadline .. trying to see if they'll issue actual refunds.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 10:14:48 AM »
I have one daughter (and a friend) on spring break right now. I have another daughter coming home tomorrow at the start of her spring break. At present, I think the plan is that both will probably stay home for a while. My daughter coming home tomorrow has expressed a preference for getting back to campus sooner rather than later (the other is perfectly content to stay home), and I have to think about that. I'm not particularly concerned that one location is likely to be safer than the other. I'm more concerned that if she does get sick, it would be easier to have her at home than to have her five hours away.

Added to the mix, my son who lives in SLC is probably going to be mandated to work from home in the next week or so, and he's considering coming and doing it in Cleveland. I'm going to have a full house. I'm starting to try to figure out the logistics of making sure we have an environment in our house that is conducive for all these college students doing their studies online.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 10:16:27 AM »
We're booked on a cruise in 8 days.   Going to cancel near the deadline .. trying to see if they'll issue actual refunds.

Anecdotally, I've heard a lot of reports of various companies being very good about refunds. We cancelled my daughter's flight back to DC yesterday and they gave us a full credit voucher.  Sure, I'd prefer cash, but we didn't get penalized at all. And we'll certainly use the flight eventually.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 10:21:35 AM »
Anecdotally, I've heard a lot of reports of various companies being very good about refunds. We cancelled my daughter's flight back to DC yesterday and they gave us a full credit voucher.  Sure, I'd prefer cash, but we didn't get penalized at all. And we'll certainly use the flight eventually.

I've heard this as well. I'm not usually much one for conspiracy theories, but I think this is coming from the top in hopes of generating goodwill for bailout dollars. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 11:05:13 AM »
I have one daughter (and a friend) on spring break right now. I have another daughter coming home tomorrow at the start of her spring break. At present, I think the plan is that both will probably stay home for a while. My daughter coming home tomorrow has expressed a preference for getting back to campus sooner rather than later (the other is perfectly content to stay home), and I have to think about that. I'm not particularly concerned that one location is likely to be safer than the other. I'm more concerned that if she does get sick, it would be easier to have her at home than to have her five hours away.

Added to the mix, my son who lives in SLC is probably going to be mandated to work from home in the next week or so, and he's considering coming and doing it in Cleveland. I'm going to have a full house. I'm starting to try to figure out the logistics of making sure we have an environment in our house that is conducive for all these college students doing their studies online.

You better check to make sure your daughter who travelled will even be allowed back.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 11:13:33 AM »

You better check to make sure your daughter who travelled will even be allowed back.

The one already here has been "strongly encouraged" to stay here. She didn't need much encouragement. I suppose she could go back if she wanted to, but she's content to stay home.

The one coming home tomorrow didn't receive such strong language. The email from her school said simply that students have the option of returning or staying home. I am obviously very aware that this might change in the next 8-10 days and that option might be taken away.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 11:15:42 AM »
No, I'm not going anywhere bad with this.  Shame on y'all for thinking poorly of ole ZFB.

Serious question though.  For college students or scoopers with college kids:  Are your kids still going on sprink break?  Meaning Cancun, South Padre, Volousia County, etc.  Are you/they worried about getting the corona? Or is it the immortalness of the young?

And are they contemplating staying longer, since school is out/"on-line"?  Flights are cheap right now, so that's another factor if they were to have to pay to change.

No worries, dude, sew far ders know condom shortage, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »
My niece currently works on the island of Saba (has a contract for another year) but is scheduled to return today for a brief visit. We're betting Saba will not let her return for some time but no one knows for sure at this time.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 06:23:51 AM »

No worries, dude, sew far ders know condom shortage, hey?

wouldn't that sanitizer stuff burn a little on those nether regions?
don't...don't don't don't don't

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 09:57:46 AM »
My son headed off to LA yesterday to meet up with friends.  Definitely the immortality of the young, but because they are staying at a condo owned by one of the families, they can stay longer if quarantined.  Could that be good planning on the part of a 20 year old?

He said his flight was mostly empty as well.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 11:48:57 AM »
Supposed to head to Cape Coral Friday with the kids. Really not sure what to do. I’d rather be stuck in a house with a pool than northern Illinois

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2020, 11:59:23 AM »
flying down to phoenix wednesday morning on SWA.  according to online reservations, they are full, but the price did drop $40 from day i had to change the reserve(thursday) to friday.  it listed only one left in wanna getaway however.  the nice thing about SWA is i was able to capture that lower rate and get a refund for the difference.  i'm going to keep watching the prices

going foward, flights to/from phoenix are going for around $100.  usually spring training and spring break run these above $600
don't...don't don't don't don't

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 12:33:13 PM »

Death on call

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 09:42:16 PM »
My niece currently works on the island of Saba (has a contract for another year) but is scheduled to return today for a brief visit.

I just wanted to post back the rabbit hole this one message sent me down. 

Never having heard of "Saba" I looked at Youtube for a video of the island. 

It brought me to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMgexz1x8CE

.. the channel is about a young sailing couple, on a channel called Sailing Uma.   In the preceding 20 days, I've watched .. easily 100 episodes. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXbWsGV_cjG3gOsSnNJPVlg

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 12:40:30 AM »

I just got a full refund from VRBO - including fees - for a Cabin in the mountains in 2 weeks.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 08:57:59 AM »
My kids never went anywhere on spring break with their college friends. The only times they went someplace other than home were the couple of times we vacationed as a family.

I guess my wife and I were too strict, though the kids never complained at the time. Somehow they survived.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback