[Today at 02:33:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MUbiz
[Today at 02:30:22 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 470676 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #350 on: March 26, 2020, 05:26:48 PM »
Interesting...many scoopers believe it to be strictly based upon conference affiliation. 

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #351 on: March 26, 2020, 05:33:13 PM »
Furthermore, there needs to be a category between mid major and power 6 to eliminate confusion. Mid/High Major Conferences?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #352 on: March 26, 2020, 05:45:13 PM »
I would define a mid major as a conference that  only gets its conference tourney winner into the tournament year in and year out.

That's a low major
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #353 on: March 26, 2020, 05:49:41 PM »
The way it has been explained by several Scoopers is that DePaul is a high major, and Gonzaga is a mid major.

UConn, who was a high major in the old Big East, has been a mid major for several years, but this fall will jump into the high major category once again!

There is no sense in arguing about it.  ;)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #354 on: March 26, 2020, 05:50:13 PM »
Interesting...many scoopers believe it to be strictly based upon conference affiliation.

It's not, but it's definitely a major factor. Others include recent success, standing in the national sports consciousness, tradition and notable people.

None of these work in UMass' favor. They're not in a power conference. They haven't had recent success. They haven't had a big-time coach or player since Calipari and Camby 25 years ago. They haven't won an NCAA tournament game since 1996. They haven't won a conference title since 1996. They have little in the way of winning tradition outside two years with Camby and two years with Dr. J. You never see anyone walking around in public outside the state sporting UMass gear.

They're far from a high major program.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:52:40 PM by Pakuni »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #355 on: March 26, 2020, 05:51:26 PM »
No such thing as a low major according to this:  https://www.midmajormadness.com/pages/mid-major-teams-by-conference

It's quite clear there isn't an absolute definition.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #356 on: March 26, 2020, 06:15:04 PM »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #357 on: March 26, 2020, 06:16:10 PM »
Furthermore, there needs to be a category between mid major and power 6 to eliminate confusion. Mid/High Major Conferences?
High Major was a saying. I don't hear to much anymore. I would tend to put some of the schools from the AAC, A-10, WCC and MWC on that list. Schools you find in those major holiday tournaments.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:09:05 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #358 on: March 26, 2020, 06:28:03 PM »

Given that's there no official definition, those scoopers would be just as right as scoopers who thought it was based on other factors. Personally, I think it is based on conference affiliation because then there are clearly set objective categories that teams can be sorted into. Otherwise, you have to make a subjective call on all 353 D1 teams.

But really, as long as the person is clear by what they mean by high major, mid major, and low major, is it worth arguing about? Though I have to admit, this is the first time I've seen someone argue that UMass is a high major.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #359 on: March 26, 2020, 06:37:02 PM »
I don’t care if you want to say someone came from the JV league, mid major, low major, or anywhere else. Just let MU add a couple of high quality transfers this offseason, hey?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #360 on: March 26, 2020, 07:04:48 PM »
UMass is not a mid-major. Just because a conference is not in the P5 does not make teams in it a "mid-major."

There are, at most, seven high-major conferences. At most. The A-10 is not one of those. So I assume you are saying UMass is a low-major? Because that's the only alternative.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #361 on: March 26, 2020, 07:05:41 PM »
His brother replied to Goodman's tweet with:

Roy P.
‏ @Bruce__Leroy__
Replying to @GoodmanHoops

Schools he is talking to the most are....Arkansas...Missouri...Marquette..Louisville...Xavier...

https://twitter.com/Bruce__Leroy__/status/1243263496726462464

You love to see it.

Lets bring him and Carton in

muguru

• All American
« Reply #362 on: March 26, 2020, 07:49:42 PM »
You love to see it.

Lets bring him and Carton in

Depending on what he's looking for as a grad transfer..Xavier is the closest to home(Detroit), but again, he likely knows Jamal and Greg  so that could be a big factor.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #363 on: March 26, 2020, 08:23:09 PM »
Rowsey?
Rowsey was not a grad transfer. I am not sure, if the other examples listed here were grad transfers.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #364 on: March 26, 2020, 10:17:56 PM »
Rowsey was not a grad transfer. I am not sure, if the other examples listed here were grad transfers.

Nope talking about guys going from midmajors to high majors n scoring double digits.  U sir completely missed the mark
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #365 on: March 26, 2020, 10:29:08 PM »
*returns to scoop after posting the Jon Rothstein tweet this morning*

mug644

• All American
« Reply #366 on: March 26, 2020, 10:59:01 PM »
It's not, but it's definitely a major factor. Others include recent success, standing in the national sports consciousness, tradition and notable people.

None of these work in UMass' favor. They're not in a power conference. They haven't had recent success. They haven't had a big-time coach or player since Calipari and Camby 25 years ago. They haven't won an NCAA tournament game since 1996. They haven't won a conference title since 1996. They have little in the way of winning tradition outside two years with Camby and two years with Dr. J. You never see anyone walking around in public outside the state sporting UMass gear.

They're far from a high major program.

While hesitant to open this can of worms, this correct accounting is a bummer. I live near Amherst, MA, and have long had hopes that MU would have a home-and-home series with UMass. Before UConn rejoined the BEast, I unrealistically imagined that the Catholic connection might be broken by bringing in UMass. Crazy thinking, yes.

But, Pakuni, you are correct. UMass had two phases of success, one of which is tainted. They are not a major program at this point, and are in a mid-major conference.

Still a home-and-home between MU and UMass would be nice, wouldn’t it?

Viper

• All American
« Reply #367 on: March 27, 2020, 06:58:08 AM »
Sign a grad-transfer ‘big’, lock-down Karim Mane and let’s roll. A Wisconsin ass-kicking will be a beautiful thing.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #368 on: March 27, 2020, 07:47:14 AM »
Given that's there no official definition, those scoopers would be just as right as scoopers who thought it was based on other factors. Personally, I think it is based on conference affiliation because then there are clearly set objective categories that teams can be sorted into. Otherwise, you have to make a subjective call on all 353 D1 teams.

But really, as long as the person is clear by what they mean by high major, mid major, and low major, is it worth arguing about? Though I have to admit, this is the first time I've seen someone argue that UMass is a high major.
Interesting....TAMU would you consider Gonzaga a mid or high major?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #369 on: March 27, 2020, 07:55:41 AM »
Interesting....TAMU would you consider Gonzaga a mid or high major?

Mid-major. They are also an elite program. Mid-major doesn't mean a program is bad, it means they play in a lower level conference
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #370 on: March 27, 2020, 09:54:24 AM »
Mid-major. They are also an elite program. Mid-major doesn't mean a program is bad, it means they play in a lower level conference

I'm with this.

Lots of folks think "mid-major" is some kind of synonym for a "bad" team or a "lesser" team, as if it's a putdown of the team. To me, all it means is that the team plays for a conference that is not a high-major conference. There is little doubt that Gonzaga is an elite program that plays in a mid-major conference -- they have a cakewalk conference schedule every season.

We do this with words all the time. For example, "consistent" has become a synonym for "good." But the Cubs were "consistent" for 100-plus years, and it wasn't good. Hell, Marquette has been quite consistent the last 2 years -- OK start, very good stretch after that, late collapse. I'd rather have been a little less consistent!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #371 on: March 27, 2020, 10:15:09 AM »
OK--so UConn was a high major, but they are in a now in a mid major conference...so they are a mid major?
They certainly do not stroll through their conference schedule.
But, on Sept 1st (or whenever they are considered to have joined the BE) they will be elevated overnight to high major status?

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #372 on: March 27, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »

The term mid major was originally coined to reference to all conferences not in the power five.  At the time of its origin, the Big East did not exist and it was eventually elevated to a Major.  Many believe that the AAC also was elevated to a Major when it split from the Big East.

I believe that as mid major upsets occurred in the tournament that more attention and money was placed on certain mid major conferences such as MVC and A10 as can be seen with the annual airing for Arch Madness.  Those two were then elevated to higher than mid-major status.  However that was short lived and when the conferences realigned those conferences lost that status.  They are not the same as they were before.

Certain schools are in mid-major leagues but are perennially good so they have been elevated to major status like Gonzaga.  The WCC is a mid major conference but people don't see people transferring down if you go to Gonzaga.   I think this is usually the exception not the rule.  SDSU is still a mid major as is SMC.  I consider Gonzaga a mid-major because even though they are good but they are in a conference not generating the same revenue as the majors.

As the power conferences have gotten bigger than the delta between major and low-major has grown and the mid-majors are becoming fewer. 

I personally still associate mid-major to conferences because that it where the money is made TV Contracts, Tourney money, etc. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #373 on: March 27, 2020, 10:23:41 AM »
The term mid major was originally coined to reference to all conferences not in the power five.  At the time of its origin, the Big East did not exist and it was eventually elevated to a Major.  Many believe that the AAC also was elevated to a Major when it split from the Big East.

I believe that as mid major upsets occurred in the tournament that more attention and money was placed on certain mid major conferences such as MVC and A10 as can be seen with the annual airing for Arch Madness.  Those two were then elevated to higher than mid-major status.  However that was short lived and when the conferences realigned those conferences lost that status.  They are not the same as they were before.

Certain schools are in mid-major leagues but are perennially good so they have been elevated to major status like Gonzaga.  The WCC is a mid major conference but people don't see people transferring down if you go to Gonzaga.   I think this is usually the exception not the rule.  SDSU is still a mid major as is SMC.  I consider Gonzaga a mid-major because even though they are good but they are in a conference not generating the same revenue as the majors.

As the power conferences have gotten bigger than the delta between major and low-major has grown and the mid-majors are becoming fewer. 

I personally still associate mid-major to conferences because that it where the money is made TV Contracts, Tourney money, etc. 

While the term "mid-major" has existed for awhile, it didn't mean much and wasn't used as often as it is now.  For instance, I don't recall anyone labelling Marquette as a "mid-major" when they went to the Final Four as a member of CUSA. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

onepost

• All American
« Reply #374 on: March 27, 2020, 10:27:28 AM »
Can we get back to focusing on actual transfers, who MU is in on, as opposed to a 10-page pissing match about the difference between high-major and mid-major?

feedback