Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 464438 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #325 on: March 26, 2020, 11:54:20 AM »
That's not even true. Unless Luwane Pipkins going from UMass in the A-10 to Providence in the Big East and averaging double figures at both is somehow not mid to high major. He's talking out of his ass, like usual.

Rowsey?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #326 on: March 26, 2020, 12:03:19 PM »
I'm so happy MU's basketball program's success hinges upon grad transfers. This is a well built program. :(

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #327 on: March 26, 2020, 12:06:26 PM »
I'm so happy MU's basketball program's success hinges upon grad transfers. This is a well built program. :(

Said nobody ever.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2020, 12:21:55 PM »
UNC-Charlotte is losing 4 transfers. Although several were key contributors to UNCC, none is expected to move up to a P6 conference team.

The coach, Ron Sanchez, just completed his second season. The team actually outperformed expectations this past year, going 16-13. In an interview with the Charlotte Observer, he discussed his frustrations.

"Obviously, some of the things we've been doing were good, things that hadn't been there before as a program. If that's not enough, if guys can't get excited about taking that next step with us, then I don't know what to tell them."

He said the abrupt end to the season "just produced another layer of a lack of communication from a generation that doesn't communicate well enough with coaches in the first place. They go home where their support system is, where they have people saying they understand. Then they make their decisions. ... Young people today have a lot of noise in their ears."

Besides the fact that older people have been complaining about "young people today" since before our grandparents' grandparents' grandparents' grandparents were young people, coaches have been complaining about "noise in their ears" influencing athletes since the beginning of college athletics.

I'm not sure taking shots at an entire generation of athletes will endear them to Sanchez, who is only 45 himself.

Then again, as Sanchez correctly said, "It's a trend. You know it's happening everywhere."

The previous 3 years averaged about 700 transfers. This year, Wichita State, Idaho State and Presbyterian each is losing 6. Iowa State and Holy Cross each is losing 5. Several schools, including UNCC, are losing 4.

Who knew Marquette wasn't the only school to see players transfer?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2020, 12:46:03 PM »
Rowsey?

Just talking about this past season.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #330 on: March 26, 2020, 01:16:17 PM »
UNC-Charlotte is losing 4 transfers. Although several were key contributors to UNCC, none is expected to move up to a P6 conference team.

The coach, Ron Sanchez, just completed his second season. The team actually outperformed expectations this past year, going 16-13. In an interview with the Charlotte Observer, he discussed his frustrations.

"Obviously, some of the things we've been doing were good, things that hadn't been there before as a program. If that's not enough, if guys can't get excited about taking that next step with us, then I don't know what to tell them."

He said the abrupt end to the season "just produced another layer of a lack of communication from a generation that doesn't communicate well enough with coaches in the first place. They go home where their support system is, where they have people saying they understand. Then they make their decisions. ... Young people today have a lot of noise in their ears."

Besides the fact that older people have been complaining about "young people today" since before our grandparents' grandparents' grandparents' grandparents were young people, coaches have been complaining about "noise in their ears" influencing athletes since the beginning of college athletics.

I'm not sure taking shots at an entire generation of athletes will endear them to Sanchez, who is only 45 himself.

Then again, as Sanchez correctly said, "It's a trend. You know it's happening everywhere."

The previous 3 years averaged about 700 transfers. This year, Wichita State, Idaho State and Presbyterian each is losing 6. Iowa State and Holy Cross each is losing 5. Several schools, including UNCC, are losing 4.

Who knew Marquette wasn't the only school to see players transfer?

How the mighty have fallen.  43 years ago they were in the Final Four...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #331 on: March 26, 2020, 01:18:30 PM »
this might have been posted already, but figured it was interesting enough to post (from Jon Rothstein yesterday):

"A year ago, 14 mid-major players who averaged in double-figures during the 18-19 season opted to grad transfer to power conferences.

none averaged in double-figures last season"

Rothstein is incorrect but his overall point is a good one. Those expecting to find a new star player on the grad transfer market are likely to be disappointed. Honestly, Carlik Jones is the only one that I feel confident could become a top 2 player for a good high major at this point. It is much more likely that MU and other high major are going to find 4th/5th starters, key reserves, or minor role players on the grad transfer market.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #332 on: March 26, 2020, 01:26:24 PM »
Rothstein is incorrect but his overall point is a good one. Those expecting to find a new star player on the grad transfer market are likely to be disappointed. Honestly, Carlik Jones is the only one that I feel confident could become a top 2 player for a good high major at this point. It is much more likely that MU and other high major are going to find 4th/5th starters, key reserves, or minor role players on the grad transfer market.

Seems like a bit of a straw man argument, though. I don't think many fans of P6 programs - certainly not here - view the grad transfer market as the place to land a star. Instead, it's more of a stopgap meams to plug holes in the roster.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #333 on: March 26, 2020, 01:49:30 PM »
That's not even true. Unless Luwane Pipkins going from UMass in the A-10 to Providence in the Big East and averaging double figures at both is somehow not mid to high major. He's talking out of his ass, like usual.

UMass is not a mid-major. Just because a conference is not in the P5 does not make teams in it a "mid-major."
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #334 on: March 26, 2020, 01:53:24 PM »
UMass is not a mid-major. Just because a conference is not in the P5 does not make teams in it a "mid-major."

UMass is almost the definition of mid-major.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #335 on: March 26, 2020, 01:56:17 PM »

Last time they were top 100 on Kenpom was 2014, never broke top 50 on Kenpom, 4 seasons as top 100 on Kenpom. One NCAA appearance this century. They had a nice stretch under Cal in the 90s but have never done jack outside of that. Idk what your definition is but that screams mid major if you ask me.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:57:57 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #336 on: March 26, 2020, 01:59:22 PM »

Charlotte finished ahead of Marquette in CUSA standings more often than not when they were both members.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #337 on: March 26, 2020, 02:11:18 PM »

Low major?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #338 on: March 26, 2020, 02:27:06 PM »
Uh oh.....

Billy...what would you say about Gonzaga or Dayton?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #339 on: March 26, 2020, 02:29:25 PM »
Last time they were top 100 on Kenpom was 2014, never broke top 50 on Kenpom, 4 seasons as top 100 on Kenpom. One NCAA appearance this century. They had a nice stretch under Cal in the 90s but have never done jack outside of that. Idk what your definition is but that screams mid major if you ask me.
Is the term mid major not defined by conference affiliation, rather based upon Kenpom and recent success?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #340 on: March 26, 2020, 02:30:29 PM »
Haha...well done.
Just watched Cornbread Maxwell and co. earlier today as a matter of fact!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #341 on: March 26, 2020, 02:33:13 PM »
Is the term mid major not defined by conference affiliation, rather based upon Kenpom and recent success?

Depends some people include Gonzaga and the like. Then there's the question of the AAC (or A10 and MWC in the old days when they were good). No matter how you cut it though it seems pretty obvious to me that UMass is a mid major by any measure
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #342 on: March 26, 2020, 02:52:00 PM »

Charlotte finished ahead of Marquette in CUSA standings more often than not when they were both members.

Bring back Bobby Lutz

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #343 on: March 26, 2020, 02:53:35 PM »
What about UConn?

High major
Then mid major...
Then one day in the near future they will be high major again...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #344 on: March 26, 2020, 03:01:46 PM »
Though I've enjoyed all the UNCC references, my comment wasn't "about" UNCC. It was about transfers.

But sure ... who doesn't love the name Cornbread Maxwell? Hell of a player, too!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #345 on: March 26, 2020, 03:57:38 PM »
This would "seem" to be a final list for Justin Turner...

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
1h
Bowling Green grad transfer Justin Turner (18.8 ppg) told me he has the following schools on his list:

Louisville, Texas Tech, Marquette, Iowa State,  Missouri, Georgia, Alabama, UConn
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #346 on: March 26, 2020, 04:00:22 PM »
Does anybody know how common it is for transfers and grad transfers to make visits to schools before decisions? If so, this could be a very long, drawn out process. It will be interesting to see how coaches handle that. If they have a kid higher on their priority list but know they’ll have some tough competition for him, and there’s another kid who wants to come but they would only have room for one addition, that can make for some tough decisions for a coach.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #347 on: March 26, 2020, 04:21:49 PM »
This would "seem" to be a final list for Justin Turner...

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
1h
Bowling Green grad transfer Justin Turner (18.8 ppg) told me he has the following schools on his list:

Louisville, Texas Tech, Marquette, Iowa State,  Missouri, Georgia, Alabama, UConn

His brother replied to Goodman's tweet with:

Roy P.
‏ @Bruce__Leroy__
Replying to @GoodmanHoops

Schools he is talking to the most are....Arkansas...Missouri...Marquette..Louisville...Xavier...

https://twitter.com/Bruce__Leroy__/status/1243263496726462464

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #348 on: March 26, 2020, 05:19:28 PM »
Uh oh.....

Billy...what would you say about Gonzaga or Dayton?

Like I said, it is not determined by not being in a Power 5 conference.

Gonzaga, BYU, not "mid-majors" despite being in a non-Power 5 conference and even though the WCC is a mid-major conference.  I don't consider the A10 as a mid-major conference either. Some teams in that conference may be (Fordham) but if a conference regularly gets more than 2 bids it's not a mid-major, IMO. The Valley is a mid-major conference but Wichita State transcended that label before leaving, like Gonzaga and BYU.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #349 on: March 26, 2020, 05:24:52 PM »
Like I said, it is not determined by not being in a Power 5 conference.

Gonzaga, BYU, not "mid-majors" despite being in a non-Power 5 conference and even though the WCC is a mid-major conference.  I don't consider the A10 as a mid-major conference either. Some teams in that conference may be (Fordham) but if a conference regularly gets more than 2 bids it's not a mid-major, IMO. The Valley is a mid-major conference but Wichita State transcended that label before leaving, like Gonzaga and BYU.

I would define a mid major as a conference that  only gets its conference tourney winner into the tournament year in and year out.

feedback