[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Koby McEwen  (Read 35945 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
Re: Koby McEwen
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2020, 02:09:51 PM »
Being call “an absolute black eye on the program” isn’t being held accountable. It’s an attack on him personally. For not playing a game as well as expected. It’s pure fukking trash.

Totally agree.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2020, 02:15:34 PM »
"black eye on the program" is silly.  He's not that.  He's just not good at basketball.  At all.

Watching him is a similar experience to watching Derrick Wilson, except a little worse.  Derrick couldn't do anything on offense, so it was like playing 4 on 5.  Koby actively sabatoges the offense with his decision making and turnovers.  It's like playing 4 on 6. 

I'm curious what film sessions are like?  Does Koby see what he is doing and doesn't have the ability to fix it? 

Also, why did it take 29.5 games for Wojo to park him?  Was he trying to fulfill recruiting promises? 

I guess more questions than answers, but that's where we are right now.

100% spot on!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2020, 02:15:47 PM »
And you called him an adult, Einstein. Jesus. You graduated from Marquette? Every time you post on here my degree seems less and less valuable.

Haha my god you can't have it both ways. Is this a natural stupidity?

I am told I can't attack a kid but a poser as an adult.

I say that said kid is an adult as well.

You now say hes the adult and I am the child.

So whats the issue with a kid calling out an adult? The 13 year old down the street can't say Andrew Wiggins is a bust???

But hey, I guess I am an impressive "kid" if I am 17 that means I was able to start posting at 7. I was always advanced for my age.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 02:17:30 PM »
Being call “an absolute black eye on the program” isn’t being held accountable. It’s an attack on him personally. For not playing a game as well as expected. It’s pure fukking trash.

It's an attack on his basketball skills.

Never once was it stated that Koby is an awful human being
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 02:20:39 PM »
That is brutal sports logic.

Does Wojo deserve blame for continuing to play him??? Absolutely.

But the "blame the coach" only trope is exactly why teams like the Cleveland Browns are always looking for new coaches and are always terrible. Or in hockey when like 90% of coach firings come from teams with bottom 10 goal tending. It's never just the coach

At some point the full picture needs to be realized
Talk about 'brutal logic', I think you nailed it.

You do realize college basketball head coaches pick their own players and assistant coaches?

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2020, 03:01:09 PM »
Haha my god you can't have it both ways. Is this a natural stupidity?

I am told I can't attack a kid but a poser as an adult.

I say that said kid is an adult as well.

You now say hes the adult and I am the child.

So whats the issue with a kid calling out an adult? The 13 year old down the street can't say Andrew Wiggins is a bust???

But hey, I guess I am an impressive "kid" if I am 17 that means I was able to start posting at 7. I was always advanced for my age.
Someone refers to him as a kid. YOU respond by calling him an adult. I call you out on that and you respond by pointing out that someone else called him a kid. And I’m the one trying to have it both ways?

No one is saying he can’t be criticized. No one.

You went out on a ledge and called him a black eye to the program. By your standard so is Robert Frozena. He wasn’t a great player. Did it mean he was a “black eye” to the program?

People are calling you out for stupidity. Just take your ball and go home. The more you try and defend your hyperbole the dumber you look.

TrueWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2020, 03:13:05 PM »
Someone refers to him as a kid. YOU respond by calling him an adult. I call you out on that and you respond by pointing out that someone else called him a kid. And I’m the one trying to have it both ways?

No one is saying he can’t be criticized. No one.

You went out on a ledge and called him a black eye to the program. By your standard so is Robert Frozena. He wasn’t a great player. Did it mean he was a “black eye” to the program?

People are calling you out for stupidity. Just take your ball and go home. The more you try and defend your hyperbole the dumber you look.

Bingo. Guy is really doubling down with the "black eye to the program" statement. Just admit it was a mistake to use that phrase and move on.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2020, 04:51:31 PM »
Koby needs to be a spot minutes for rest of season. Same with Bailey. Neither have a lick of confidence.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2020, 04:58:30 PM »
Bailey needs to gain some more weight, get quicker and stronger. Has along way to go to come a good big East player. Being from Utah, a Mormon, taking 2 years off and maybe not playing against top completion out there, it shows.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2020, 06:53:02 PM »
Utah St just knocked off SDSU in the MW Final.  They’re 26-8 and ranked for a a couple of weeks.  Any chance Koby left because playing time was going to be an issue for him @ USU? i think everyone on the board would assume MU is a better program, but that’s questionable in our current state.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2020, 07:38:37 PM »
Utah St just knocked off SDSU in the MW Final.  They’re 26-8 and ranked for a a couple of weeks.  Any chance Koby left because playing time was going to be an issue for him @ USU? i think everyone on the board would assume MU is a better program, but that’s questionable in our current state.
Lmao? Wtf? Playing time an issue? He was moutain west freshman of the year, shocking how bad he looks rn

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2020, 07:48:49 PM »
Not to mention that he never played for the current Utah State coach.  The guy that recruited him was fired, which I think is one of the reasons he left.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2020, 07:52:04 PM »
Strange that no one has picked up on the common theme here with transfers......

Most have been band aids because the original recruiting process hasn't worked out......

Wojo isn't a team builder.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2020, 11:33:15 PM »
Strange that no one has picked up on the common theme here with transfers......

Most have been band aids because the original recruiting process hasn't worked out......

Wojo isn't a team builder.

Rome wasn't built in a day.  Nor was Venice, Milan, or Bergamo.

When Steve arrived the cupboard was empty, bare, nada, less than zero, negative, handicapped.

Add to that the academic restrictions, pedigree requirements, image standards and we have what we have, a work in progress.   There are one year plans, 5 year plans and 10 year plans. 

I'm old, class of 65, then hung around for a few years and watched Al, might never get to see the long range strategic plan come to fruition, oh well.  Next year is the next stone to put into place.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2020, 12:02:57 AM »
I have zero problem with fans calling for Wojo to sit him. I can support the position that he's not BE worthy in talent (that's on Wojo). But I have no doubt he's doing the best he can for MU and I can appreciate him for that.

Agreed. Making the transition to big time D1 hoops is tough. If he was dogging it or barking at teammates, then he would deserve some criticism. He's not, though. He's working hard, but it's just not working out often enough.

I'm still hopeful he can be Purdue Koby in more games next year. But for now, I'd settle for a few more minutes for Symir and a couple good sequences from Koby for the next few games.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2020, 01:22:58 AM »
Yup, no problem with the guy, but he has not been the player as expected and his play was a big detriment to the team all season.  Probably the worst stats of a second guard in the Big East.  Can he turn it around for two more games, who knows.

Whose fault is that? Message board experts never see a kid, hype him up then are shocked when they don’t play like Cassius Winston or Payton Prichard, that’s who.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2020, 06:38:54 AM »
We've seen this at times from Sacar, currently it's Koby and BB, and early in the year it was Jayce and until very recently is was a scourge for Jamal.  Lack of confidence.

I'm convinced these guys are all excellent ball players who deserve their spots.  It's the head coach and the coaching staff that need to build up their confidence.  Everything about Wojo from the offensive style to his substitution patterns (let a guy have an easy basket and you're OK, but foul and you're on the bench) would drive me nuts as a player and could certainly upset the confidence of any player.  We've seen from Koby especially that when he's not thinking, he can be awesome.  Now, he's too deep in his head to contribute in real time. 

Coaches need to coach the players as well as the game.  I don't really want to see Koby benched, because I believe he's a superior player to the alternative (Symir) when he's playing with confidence.  I'd rather see "last 3 minute Koby" for an entire game.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

nyg

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2020, 08:55:01 AM »
In the 18 Big East games, here are Koby's:

Field goals. 45-132 (34%)
Three's.      20-64.  (31%)

Turnovers.   50
Fouls.          61

Points.        9.1

He had more turnovers and fouls than field goals made and his shooting percentages were not great.  Being he was considered prior to the season starting, as the secondary scorer to Howard, that did not reach the expectations.  His turnovers at times, especially passes into the stands, along with his foul trouble are to say the least, perplexing. 

The good news is that in three games in which he scored significantly, 22 against Nova, 18 against Xavier and 16 against Butler, they were all victories. The seedings are set and Seton Hall is the opponent.  With Gill and Mamu, Wojo cannot go to the small rotation utilized in the second half of the SJU game.  Theo and Johnson will play.  It should be interesting to see if Wojo starts Koby (I think he will, but short leash), he only played 11 minutes against SJU, because he needs to defend Powell. Maybe, just maybe he can have a game similar those which resulted in wins. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2020, 09:16:06 AM »
We've seen this at times from Sacar, currently it's Koby and BB, and early in the year it was Jayce and until very recently is was a scourge for Jamal.  Lack of confidence.

I'm convinced these guys are all excellent ball players who deserve their spots.  It's the head coach and the coaching staff that need to build up their confidence.  Everything about Wojo from the offensive style to his substitution patterns (let a guy have an easy basket and you're OK, but foul and you're on the bench) would drive me nuts as a player and could certainly upset the confidence of any player.  We've seen from Koby especially that when he's not thinking, he can be awesome.  Now, he's too deep in his head to contribute in real time. 

Coaches need to coach the players as well as the game.  I don't really want to see Koby benched, because I believe he's a superior player to the alternative (Symir) when he's playing with confidence.  I'd rather see "last 3 minute Koby" for an entire game.

In theory i agree with you, but what has been proven to you that Koby is any good?  Because he threw in some shots in a spurt against purdue n xavier.  Mind u for +\- 20 minutes he has been good this year.  I will contend the other 29.5 games he haas not even been mediocre or adequate but horrible.
I think grad transfer is a real option for him and MUs fortunes as Wojo is too stupid to not stop playing him.  Even yesterday he kept putting him back in.  In the middle of the second half mu is on a run, here comes koby, 10 sec call, standing out if bounds, completely loses his man for a 3, throws the ball into 2nd row.  Thanks wojo, sju lead extended.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2020, 09:27:13 AM »
I should know better than to put too much into body language, but Koby's isn't good.  I think a grad transfer is a definite possibility.  Which leaves MU even thinner at guard.

Amazing that Wojo has only brought in three freshman guards since the class of 2016 - Markus, Elliott, Symir.  (I guess you could count Dexter?)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2020, 09:38:31 AM »
Are there still clowns that defend this guy??

He is an absolute black eye on the program. He plays defense?? Hes getting torched. There is not one thing he does well on the floor.

A mid half time transfer is what this team needs.

Multiplication by subtraction, hes that bad.

Blame the coach. He is the one putting Koby in this position. He recruited him to the program. Pretty clear the Mountain West is not the Big East.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2020, 09:54:08 AM »
In the 18 Big East games, here are Koby's:

Field goals. 45-132 (34%)
Three's.      20-64.  (31%)

Turnovers.   50
Fouls.          61

Points.        9.1

He had more turnovers and fouls than field goals made and his shooting percentages were not great.

More turnovers and fouls combined (111) than points scored (110) if my quick math is accurate.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2020, 11:34:56 AM »
I think lack of confidence is endemic to this program. Not just Koby

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2020, 03:05:55 PM »
Wasn’t Stan responsible for Koby transfer?  This is what I do not understand with the Stan fans.  He seems a wonderful recruiter and assistant coach, but he those that want him as next coach are same that take aim at the discrepancies of the team for which he is largely responsible.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2020, 03:59:00 PM »
More turnovers and fouls combined (111) than points scored (110) if my quick math is accurate.

Your quick math is inaccurate. If the poster's scoring average is accurate, Koby scored 164 points.
Free throws do matta.

feedback