[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Koby McEwen  (Read 36037 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: Koby McEwen
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2020, 04:47:07 PM »
Your quick math is inaccurate. If the poster's scoring average is accurate, Koby scored 164 points.
Free throws do matta.

Accurate. 164 total.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2020, 09:01:58 PM »
Against KenPom A&B teams, Koby's magic # is 100 ORtg

Over 100, we're 6-2 / 75%
Under 100, we're 4-10 / 28.6%

We've lost 6 consecutive A/B games now. Koby's average ORtg per game is 75 over that stretch (for those unfamiliar with the stat that's abysmal).

Tell me which Koby shows up and I'll tell you what our odds are this post season.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2020, 09:16:32 PM »
Against KenPom A&B teams, Koby's magic # is 100 ORtg

Over 100, we're 6-2 / 75%
Under 100, we're 4-10 / 28.6%

We've lost 6 consecutive A/B games now. Koby's average ORtg per game is 75 over that stretch (for those unfamiliar with the stat that's abysmal).

Tell me which Koby shows up and I'll tell you what our odds are this post season.

We are due a Jean Felix type game from either Koby or Brendan in a tourney game. Not knowing our matchup, we really need one or both to come through to have any chance to win a game or two.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2020, 09:18:05 PM »
Your quick math is inaccurate. If the poster's scoring average is accurate, Koby scored 164 points.
Free throws do matta.

Ahh, FTs not included. 110 from the floor. Good catch.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2020, 09:46:00 PM »
We are due a Jean Felix type game from either Koby or Brendan in a tourney game. Not knowing our matchup, we really need one or both to come through to have any chance to win a game or two.

Not necessarily, we could also not play them!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2020, 11:40:00 PM »
Koby has the potential to be an outstanding player.  Not his fault, his coach is playing him out of position.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2020, 12:19:16 AM »
Koby has the potential to be an outstanding player.  Not his fault, his coach is playing him out of position.
He has solid size. Looks strong and also looks quick off the dribble. However he just doesnt seem to know how properly drive and finish. No moves. Bad shooting. Turnover machine. Its weird. Idk how we put alot of blame on the coaches though. End of the day if the dudes good enough it should show on the court.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2020, 01:39:03 AM »

I don’t t think you are correct on this.  Guards should be interchangeable.  Both point and shooting guards need to be able to handle the ball, pass and shoot.  He looks hesitant doing all three.  He was the lynch pin for the season and has not performed as well as we would have liked.  Wojo gambled and lost. This can happen.  If Kobe with his size and athleticism could have performed more consistently offensively and not turned the ball over frequently MU would be a top ten team (as Sand knit has said multiple times).  Hopefully next year will be a more complete team.  Wojo is complicit with the failure of this team by his failure to try different lineups.  Not necessarily for gambling on Koby.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2020, 08:03:42 AM »
Errrrr, what position is it that he should be playing?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2020, 10:28:50 AM »
I was reading an article recently about how the basketball development system in Canada differs from the US.  Canada focuses more heavily on skills development for younger kids, and they don't play as many games.  The argument was that this is a better system.  I didn't necessarily agree, because playing actual games is the only way to develop a feel for the game.  Koby might be an example of this.  Great individual shooting and dribbling skills, and probably looks great in a workout, but just doesn't have as good of a feel for the game, which makes him less effective.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2020, 10:42:56 AM »

I have the potential to be an outstanding player....., if I was younger, taller, quicker, and had better basketball skills.

Not even once this year have I thought about Kobe as "outstanding". He works hard and is a good rebounder and defender. That's it.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2020, 10:47:26 AM »
Great individual shooting and dribbling skills, and probably looks great in a workout, but just doesn't have as good of a feel for the game, which makes him less effective.

If you love 33% from the floor and shoulder high dribbles, then yeah he's great.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2020, 10:54:53 AM »
If you love 33% from the floor and shoulder high dribbles, then yeah he's great.
I meant in practice.  He might look great doing drills, but put him in a game situation and it just doesn't work.

I think there's a little of this with Markus too.  He's probably an amazing 1-1 player in the driveway against his brother, but he just doesn't have as good of a feel for actual game situations.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:58:21 AM by Litehouse »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2020, 10:59:41 AM »
I was reading an article recently about how the basketball development system in Canada differs from the US.  Canada focuses more heavily on skills development for younger kids, and they don't play as many games.  The argument was that this is a better system.  I didn't necessarily agree, because playing actual games is the only way to develop a feel for the game.  Koby might be an example of this.  Great individual shooting and dribbling skills, and probably looks great in a workout, but just doesn't have as good of a feel for the game, which makes him less effective.

Koby isn't going to be doing any video tutorials on the fundamentals of offensive basketball any time soon.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2020, 11:33:21 AM »
I have the potential to be an outstanding player....., if I was younger, taller, quicker, and had better basketball skills.

Not even once this year have I thought about Kobe as "outstanding". He works hard and is a good rebounder and defender. That's it.

I'll give him the Xavier game when Markus was hurt. Other than that...

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »
Look, Koby's play has been nothing short of disappointing. But the words "black eye on the program" is so off-base. There's been no indication he has had poor behavior, a lack of work-ethic, or causing any off-court issues. A black eye to the program is a guy that gets MU in the news for sexual abuse accusations, kicking opponents where it hurts,  etc. He's a liability to the current team and nothing more.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2020, 12:05:14 PM »

That's how other countries develop for soccer as well. Small sided games/drills. Less scrimmages/full team games.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2020, 04:06:00 PM »
I think the AAU culture has hurt Americans play.  The games become show off your skill rather than try to win.  I have nieces and nephews who are/were very good players and I've watched some AAU tournaments, and I think it is rough basketball for my sensibilities.  They play a million games and it doesn't really matter much who wins, it is just how well you did or how good you looked.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2020, 04:15:50 PM »
Look, Koby's play has been nothing short of disappointing. But the words "black eye on the program" is so off-base. There's been no indication he has had poor behavior, a lack of work-ethic, or causing any off-court issues. A black eye to the program is a guy that gets MU in the news for sexual abuse accusations, kicking opponents where it hurts,  etc. He's a liability to the current team and nothing more.

Totally agree, but to add a point, how you think Koby feels, he watches the film, it must be eating him up inside and probably putting to much pressure on him which
probably causes him to play to tight in games.  Not sure who taught him his shot, but does he really have to jump so high on his jump shot when he is so wide open
at times.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2020, 04:22:14 PM »
Totally agree, but to add a point, how you think Koby feels, he watches the film, it must be eating him up inside and probably putting to much pressure on him which
probably causes him to play to tight in games.  Not sure who taught him his shot, but does he really have to jump so high on his jump shot when he is so wide open
at times.
Not just his shot.  He is just way overdoing everything.  Needs to calm down to game speed and let things come to him.  He is his own worst enemy right now.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2020, 04:32:22 PM »
Not just his shot.  He is just way overdoing everything.  Needs to calm down to game speed and let things come to him.  He is his own worst enemy right now.

Since he is 4th year junior,  this might be the best we get out of him, which is scary for next year.  Elliott has issues and Torrence has a hard time playing D, hope
Akanno can play by sitting out a year to improve his game.  At least he has a Big East body, compared to Elliott.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2020, 04:46:55 PM »
Kobe leads the Big East in Personal Fouls in 2019-20. It's nice to have a record holder on the team besides Marcus.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2020, 06:57:53 PM »
Agree 100%.

panda

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2020, 03:21:36 PM »
Interesting takes from Utah State fans. It gets interesting towards the bottom of the thread.

https://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52501

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2020, 03:51:15 PM »
Hopefully he will grad transfer.

feedback