[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dexter Status  (Read 16517 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Dexter Status
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2020, 01:14:26 PM »
We knew wojo would tighten the rotation to 7-8 players once the BE started.

Looks like it will be 8 once Symir comes back as DJ will need a couple of breaks per game. I expect to see him get 6-8 minutes as the 8th guy.

Right.  Not to be mean but, what has anyone seen out of Dexter to say "I would like to see more of him on the floor?"  I know he was hyped up due to what was said about him over the summer, but that seems to happen every summer.  He's the ninth guy on a 11 person team.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2020, 01:16:20 PM »

Right.  Not to be mean but, what has anyone seen out of Dexter to say "I would like to see more of him on the floor?"  I know he was hyped up due to what was said about him over the summer, but that seems to happen every summer.  He's the ninth guy on a 11 person team.
In the few  minutes they’ve played, I would say Oso has shown more.  Just my take.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2020, 01:17:05 PM »
He just needs to keep practicing hard, and he needs to stay ready. When Oso's number was called against UCLA due to foul trouble, he gave us several very solid minutes. We no doubt will need that again from him, and we certainly could need that kind of thing from Dex, too.

If he's good enough, his time will come.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2020, 01:48:28 PM »

Exactly. But make no mistake. Dexter will get chances this year either because of injury/Covid or during a clunker by MU where a change of pace is needed.

But generally, he will only play when MU is up big.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2020, 02:34:56 PM »
Maybe Wojo did not want to risk Dexter turning the ball over against Creighton, but I also wondered if the Florida player collasping had Wojo worried about playing a player that had Covid.

If that's the case, when, if ever, does he play? Sounds like Johnson had it months ago. Maybe it's a case of needing more thorough testing, but I'm not sure the best way to handle these cases going forward.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2020, 02:40:20 PM »
If that's the case, when, if ever, does he play? Sounds like Johnson had it months ago. Maybe it's a case of needing more thorough testing, but I'm not sure the best way to handle these cases going forward.

How man players across all leagues are playing after having COVID?  I know the local D2 team in my area has had nearly all of its players test positive at some point in time. 

From a $$$ standpoint...an NBA team is waltzing out it's star player after having COVID if there are concerns, and I have not heard of any special tests being done on NBA players to certify them for action?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2020, 03:03:54 PM »
How man players across all leagues are playing after having COVID?  I know the local D2 team in my area has had nearly all of its players test positive at some point in time. 

From a $$$ standpoint...an NBA team is waltzing out it's star player after having COVID if there are concerns, and I have not heard of any special tests being done on NBA players to certify them for action?

I would imagine additional testing would be cardiac enzymes or something similar. I don't believe it shows up on a typical ECG, but there are likely tests that can show if what's happening to guys like Johnson & Ojo is congenital or COVID related.

This feels like one of those things where it's too early to know much definitively, and the unfortunate consequence will likely be more similar incidents because while it's tragic, it's also rare enough that it probably won't shut down the sport.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2020, 03:17:52 PM »
Not to sound cold here, but...

1. Hundreds, if not thousands, of high-level athletes around the word have had Covid, and have returned to action.  How many have had similar issues?
2. College athletes who have suddenly collapsed from heart issues unfortunately isn't new.  But sports have continued regardless
3. Even if Johnson did indeed have Covid, and even if he had heart issues that lead to his collapse, that doesn't mean that the former caused the latter.  Proving that will never be likely.

If Marquette's trainers held Dexter out of the game out of an abundance of caution, that would have been fine.  But I really doubt that was the reason.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2020, 03:22:42 PM »
I hate how often I find myself yelling "come to him!" at the TV.

I find the standing around waiting for a pass extremely frustrating too but it was MUCH improved last night vs Creighton. Once we got a little mojo the guys were posting much harder and coming to the ball with intent.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2020, 06:15:28 PM »
One of the reasons I worried about Dexter and Covid is that it seemed lie  MU held him out of practice longer than was required. To me that indicates he had a more difficult case of it. Some people get really sick and some get barely sick.