[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2020 Coaching Carousel  (Read 87769 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: 2020 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2020, 11:24:06 PM »
I think Moser’s resume is better, you think Wardle’s is better (neither are great), so it’s a subjective pissing match at this point, why go any further?

Cause it’s not subjective. Brew and I have both given valid statistical reasons why Wardle’s accomplishments are superior and you’ve not matched it with anything other than “I think” or “I feel”. I haven’t presented anything subjective, no eye test, no “I feel”.

But whatever, but maybe someone with your vision hires him next year after he goes 10-8 in conference and misses the NCAA again

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2020, 09:22:22 AM »
I think Linc darner up at uwgb was a D2 head coach prior to taking the uwgb job.

Yes.  They almost hired Greg Gard but due to job posting time requirements, Darner had a chance to apply and UWGB went with him instead.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2020, 09:36:57 AM »
Cause it’s not subjective. Brew and I have both given valid statistical reasons why Wardle’s accomplishments are superior and you’ve not matched it with anything other than “I think” or “I feel”. I haven’t presented anything subjective, no eye test, no “I feel”.

But whatever, but maybe someone with your vision hires him next year after he goes 10-8 in conference and misses the NCAA again
If you prefer Wardle to Moser and think he's a better candidate than Moser, that's fine. But I'm having trouble seeing his resume as definitively better than Moser's.

Moser
Record: 257–232 (.526)
MVC Record: 162–135 (.545)   
MVC Record '15-'19: 55-35 (.611)
Conference Championships: 2
Conference Tourneys: 1
4–1 (NCAA)
0–1 (NIT)
4–0 (CBI)

Wardle
176–151 (.538)
MVC Record: 39–51 (.433)
Conference Championships: 1 (Horizon)
Conference Tourneys: 2
NCAA: 0–1
NIT: 0–2
CIT: 0–1
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:39:32 AM by LAZER »

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2020, 10:11:06 AM »
If you prefer Wardle to Moser and think he's a better candidate than Moser, that's fine. But I'm having trouble seeing his resume as definitively better than Moser's.

Moser
Record: 257–232 (.526)
MVC Record: 162–135 (.545)   
MVC Record '15-'19: 55-35 (.611)
Conference Championships: 2
Conference Tourneys: 1
4–1 (NCAA)
0–1 (NIT)
4–0 (CBI)

Wardle
176–151 (.538)
MVC Record: 39–51 (.433)
Conference Championships: 1 (Horizon)
Conference Tourneys: 2
NCAA: 0–1
NIT: 0–2
CIT: 0–1

I think you should take into account that '15-'19 includes Wardle's first 5 seasons at Bradley, while '15-'19 excludes Moser's first 4 seasons at Loyola. 

Yes, Moser made the Final Four in year 7, but he didn't make an NCAA tournament at Loyola in any seasons prior to that. I'm not implying that Wardle will make the Final Four in his 7th year at Bradley, but he has already out performed what Moser accomplished in his first 5 years at Loyola.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2020, 10:18:35 AM »
Yes, Moser made the Final Four in year 7, but he didn't make an NCAA tournament at Loyola in any seasons prior to that. I'm not implying that Wardle will make the Final Four in his 7th year at Bradley, but he has already out performed what Moser accomplished in his first 5 years at Loyola.

I thought the first 5 (or 6) years no matta.

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2020, 11:01:43 AM »
I thought the first 5 (or 6) years no matta.

I don't think my previous post implies that the previous 5 or 6 years don't matter. It points out that Wardle's first 5 years at Bradley are better than Moser's first 5 years at Loyola.

If you're making this about Wojo... I would also argue that Wojo's first 5 years at Marquette are better than Moser's first 5 years at Loyola. Wojo vs. Wardle is a more complicated. Personally, I would rank Wojo higher than Wardle.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2020, 11:10:45 AM »
I think you should take into account that '15-'19 includes Wardle's first 5 seasons at Bradley, while '15-'19 excludes Moser's first 4 seasons at Loyola. 

Again, I've got no issue if people here think that Wardle has more upside and is a better candidate than Moser.  I think stating that Wardle's resume is objectively better than Moser's, doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2020, 11:38:51 AM »
Maybe we could sucker Wisconsin into a Wojo for Gard trade.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2020, 02:23:49 PM »
I remember when people didn't want Cronin... Pac12 COY

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2020, 02:33:31 PM »
I remember when people didn't want Cronin... Pac12 COY

Never really understood the hate for Cronin as a coach. He has struggled in March but he's won pretty consistently. Good coach.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2020, 02:54:40 PM »
Never really understood the hate for Cronin as a coach. He has struggled in March but he's won pretty consistently. Good coach.
Started off 8-9 and looking like they could be in the tourney

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2020, 09:10:56 AM »
If people are serious about Moser or Wardle as the next MU head coach (and think either is better than Wojo), I'm glad as hell they aren't on the BOT.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2020, 09:19:53 AM »
Maybe we could sucker Wisconsin into a Wojo for Gard trade.

Did you not read the analysis of Scoopers on Gard for much of the season?  He stinks according to our members here.  This is why analysis here on Coach Wojo is taken with a grain of salt because our eye for coaching talent here is suspect at best.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2020, 09:25:46 AM »

Did you not read the analysis of Scoopers on Gard for much of the season?  He stinks according to our members here.  This is why analysis here on Coach Wojo is taken with a grain of salt because our eye for coaching talent here is suspect at best.

I'm perfectly fine with Gard being the coach at UW.  He'll coach a system that will get him enough regular season wins to always make the field but never have the talent to make a true run at a title.  If the Tournament is played this year, I'd be more surprised by a S16 run by them than I would by a first round upset of them.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

1SE

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2020, 04:17:39 PM »
Coaching carousel will be inyerefti g this year - who gets fired for an "incomplete"?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2020, 04:46:26 PM »
How much money did the Big East schools lose with the NCAA and Big East tournaments being cancelled?  I'm not sure if there will be many firings based on this economic downturn.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2020, 06:51:19 PM »
How much money did the Big East schools lose with the NCAA and Big East tournaments being cancelled?  I'm not sure if there will be many firings based on this economic downturn.

Au contraire.

This is when you fire your least productive workers. Corona gives you the needed cover.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2020, 08:01:25 PM »
I am curious about business interruption insurance and the role it may have played in these decisions. Did insurance companies decide they would rather pay to can the events rather than risk claims and lawsuits from those who were infected? Even the possibility of suit by states’ attorneys general whose states incurred big costs? All that was needed was one guy like the lawyer in New Rochelle who was responsible for quarantine of an entire city. Huge risks that were better managed by paying business interruption claims?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2020, 11:21:42 PM »
I am curious about business interruption insurance and the role it may have played in these decisions. Did insurance companies decide they would rather pay to can the events rather than risk claims and lawsuits from those who were infected? Even the possibility of suit by states’ attorneys general whose states incurred big costs? All that was needed was one guy like the lawyer in New Rochelle who was responsible for quarantine of an entire city. Huge risks that were better managed by paying business interruption claims?
I believe I heard the NCAA does not have insurance for this. Not surprising, very hard to underwrite and not prudent use of money.  I don't blame them for going without, even if they could find someone write a policy

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 12, 2020, 11:41:29 PM »
I'm perfectly fine with Gard being the coach at UW.  He'll coach a system that will get him enough regular season wins to always make the field but never have the talent to make a true run at a title.  If the Tournament is played this year, I'd be more surprised by a S16 run by them than I would by a first round upset of them.
Should this be in teal?  Sounds like you just described Wojo.  Except Gard actually just won a conference title.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2020, 12:20:54 AM »
Should this be in teal?  Sounds like you just described Wojo.  Except Gard actually just won a conference title.

I think Gard has a higher floor for sure. Lower ceiling because he won't attract elite talent. Not certain Wojo will, but he's got a better shot.

Overall I do think their similar with Wojo being a better recruiter and Gard a better coach.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2020, 11:29:36 PM »
Baby Pitino is supposedly returning to to Minnesota next season. That was the only possible opening that I thought Wojo leaving/getting hired for was even probable. Brownell supposedly safe for another year at Clemson. Rumors seem to be that Manning's buyout is too large for Wake to fire him. Shaka looks like he is going to survive. Coronavirus likely delays NBA hiring any college coaches away. Not hearing about any major impending retirements. NCAA doesn't seem close to punishing the Sean Millers or Bill Selfs of the world.

Looks like we are in for a very mild carousel this year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2020, 10:08:38 AM »
Honest question and I know we are all upset tonight, but would other coaches shy away from the Marquette job if Wojo were let go? I mean it would be 3/4 years in the tournament.
Other coaches shy away from MU, because it is hard University to recruit for. Small private non footballs schools are harder jobs than big football schools. This might be the reason we lost Shaka to Texas.
Having a recruit visit on a football weekend is much more exciting than having a recruit visit for Marquette Madness.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2020, 10:58:07 AM »
Other coaches shy away from MU, because it is hard University to recruit for. Small private non footballs schools are harder jobs than big football schools. This might be the reason we lost Shaka to Texas.
Having a recruit visit on a football weekend is much more exciting than having a recruit visit for Marquette Madness.
You make some good points but 'coaches shy(ing) away from MU" is relative. MU in terms of DI jobs is extremely attractive. MU with its resources could hire almost any mid-major coach (Gonzaga, WSU, and a few others excluded). MU could hire any P-6 assistant coach. I agree MU would have a hard time hiring a P-6 head coach but so did UCLA and IU and others.

The football angle is interesting and maybe true but I have never heard any coach say that (I could be wrong). I have heard coaches talk about liking being at basketball only schools. IMO, the football money allows those schools to pay very well, which in turn makes them very attractive.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2020, 11:01:50 AM »

Gard is pretty good at UW for MU.  Tyler Herro’s take is the same as that of most potential recruits.  Unless ur Swedish and play in Northern Wisconsin or the sticks of Minnesota the Badgers do not pose much of a recruiting threat towards MU.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

feedback