[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Some additional positive press for the Big East  (Read 25407 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Some additional positive press for the Big East
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2020, 03:07:22 PM »
So what continent do you think Israel is on?

what continent it is on does not categorize them as people as Asian.  Brooklyn and Queens are technically part of Long Island but you won't find any in those boroughs who call themselves "Long Islanders.' Israeli's are descended from a different people.  Would you consider Mexicans or Costa Ricans or other Hispanics as the same peoples as Americans or Canadians? I mean, it's connected to North American so they must be the same.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2020, 05:07:02 PM »
what continent it is on does not categorize them as people as Asian.  Brooklyn and Queens are technically part of Long Island but you won't find any in those boroughs who call themselves "Long Islanders.' Israeli's are descended from a different people.  Would you consider Mexicans or Costa Ricans or other Hispanics as the same peoples as Americans or Canadians? I mean, it's connected to North American so they must be the same.

Yes people from Mexico and Canada are North Americans
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2020, 05:12:07 PM »
I'm actually married to one.

Yes, in the Philippines basketball is huge (if you haven't read Pacific Rims I suggest picking it up) but Fil-Am culture is very different from Filipino culture. Right now there is only one Filipino in the NBA, Jordan Clarkson, who is half. There was a lot of hope for Kobe Paras (also half) but he flamed out at three schools and went to the Philippines for college where his dad is still a legend.  Other than Spolestra there aren't any Filipino coaches and he's half Filipino and born in the US.  Fil-Am's, especially first-generation, generally leave sports in or after high school to concentrate on academics. That is highly ingrained in the Asian culture and sports participation looked down upon (typical in many Asian households were team sports are seen as a distraction).

Plus, the average Filipino male is 5-5 so basketball isn't a long term option for them. It also explains their 40-year losing streak in the World Cup and Olympic qualifying events.

I was responding to your statement that "Basketball isn’t big in the Asian-American culture in the first place," which is very wrong, especially among Filipinos.
What the lack of Filipinos in the NBA has to do with the sports popularity among the Filipino-American community is beyond me.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2020, 06:00:30 PM »
Plus, the average Filipino male is 5-5 so basketball isn't a long term option for them. It also explains their 40-year losing streak in the World Cup and Olympic qualifying events.

So you're saying Markus could be a dominant point-center there!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2020, 06:34:49 PM »
The whole continent is America. All Americans, North, Central, South.
Goal is National Championship

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2020, 08:36:55 PM »
He’s in that group because it was his fellow coaching staff member who founded it. A couple other white coaches from the staff joined to support Sonic. At the time it was founded there were only two Asian-Americans in college coaching.

To try and claim anyone from the Middle East as “Asian” (especially since they would not check that box) to prove a point on a message board is the height of intellectual dishonesty.

Interesting...I have never been called out for my “intellectual dishonesty” for quoting published geography sources before. I am sure all my Palestinian friends from Israel will be happy to check that traditional white European box on their immigration form.

Serious question: Did you, Cheeks, Ners and the other ex-MUAD alums have to take Bloviating 101 back in the day?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2020, 08:47:50 PM »
That is highly ingrained in the Asian culture and sports participation looked down upon (typical in many Asian households were team sports are seen as a distraction).

So, the upcoming Tokyo and Beijing Olympics were just cancelled?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2020, 08:49:39 PM »
This thread confirms that racism in US keeps growing. We are heading back to the good old times like some here wish. Unfortunately Rome will burn and fall.

I agree that it does....it shows that people don't care about the plight of Asians who are also minorities.  Or go to the free agency thread and how few of the supposedly "WOKE" here don't care about minorities and women losing opportunities in athletics and how their programs should be purged to help the 1%.  Sure sounds racist to me.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2020, 08:50:28 PM »
Simple positive thread entirely ruined by a deranged lunatic (chicos) ✅
Can anyone point me to one that this psychopath has not ruined?

1000's of them Roberto, just look. 

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=60036.0
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 10:36:44 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2020, 08:51:16 PM »
I agree that it does....it shows that people don't care about the plight of Asians who are also minorities.  Or go to the free agency thread and how few of the supposedly "WOKE" here don't care about minorities and women losing opportunities in athletics and how their programs should be purged to help the 1%.  Sure sounds racist to me.
seek help

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2020, 08:51:56 PM »
Interesting...I have never been called out for my “intellectual dishonesty” for quoting published geography sources before. I am sure all my Palestinian friends from Israel will be happy to check that traditional white European box on their immigration form.

Serious question: Did you, Cheeks, Ners and the other ex-MUAD alums have to take Bloviating 101 back in the day?

Ners never worked in the athletic department that I am aware of, but he can correct me if I am wrong.  I'd ask the same question you asked right back at you...starting with the former "journalists" here and moving on down to the lawyers, etc.   ;)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2020, 10:15:29 PM »
I'm Filipino and basketball fandom is big in my family. participation was less encouraged, but part of that was my dad being in the Navy and my mom not having time to support it when he'd be deployed.
I don't recall Asian only leagues while growing up in San Diego, but I've met Cheeks and don't have any reason to disbelieve that they exist.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2020, 10:46:38 PM »
I'm Filipino and basketball fandom is big in my family. participation was less encouraged, but part of that was my dad being in the Navy and my mom not having time to support it when he'd be deployed.
I don't recall Asian only leagues while growing up in San Diego, but I've met Cheeks and don't have any reason to disbelieve that they exist.

Hey man....hope things are going well.  Several great Filipino leagues in San Diego.

The OC leagues tend to be Japanese only, part of the JAL or JAO leagues.  The ABN (Asian Baller Networks) are what a number of my friends use to organize and play. 

Good history here about So Cal Asian basketball leagues for nearly 100 years.  https://www.colorlines.com/articles/asian-american-basketball-leagues-helped-create-linsanity

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2020, 11:29:23 AM »
So Chico's pontificating against kids being able to move around just like coaches is actually because he really, really cares about minorities and women losing opportunities? LOL.

And you're miffed when people laugh at you with scorn and derision.

“I came back here last week, but will keep appearance limited.” --Cheeks
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2020, 11:35:00 AM »
So Chico's pontificating against kids being able to move around just like coaches is actually because he really, really cares about minorities and women losing opportunities? LOL.

And you're miffed when people laugh at you with scorn and derision.

“I came back here last week, but will keep appearance limited.” --Cheeks

But, it’s okay for student athletes in non-revenue sports to move around as the NCAA allows today, but not in the two revenue sports where Direct TV has unbalanced conference revenue contracts.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2020, 12:25:04 PM »
But, it’s okay for student athletes in non-revenue sports to move around as the NCAA allows today, but not in the two revenue sports where Direct TV has unbalanced conference revenue contracts.

Yep. If you're on a full scholarship for lacrosse - something many schools, especially in the East, offer - you have the freedom to transfer without having to sit out a year. Same if you're on scholarship for volleyball, wrestling, softball, you name it. Heck, same if you're on scholarship for acting, editing the school paper, playing an instrument, etc; with those there isn't even a 1-year rule, you could transfer to any school you want whenever you want.

But it's A-OK to discriminate against athletes in 5 sports, because ... ?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2020, 12:36:48 PM »
Yep. If you're on a full scholarship for lacrosse - something many schools, especially in the East, offer - you have the freedom to transfer without having to sit out a year. Same if you're on scholarship for volleyball, wrestling, softball, you name it. Heck, same if you're on scholarship for acting, editing the school paper, playing an instrument, etc; with those there isn't even a 1-year rule, you could transfer to any school you want whenever you want.

But it's A-OK to discriminate against athletes in 5 sports, because ... ?
Even though this question does not have to do with the Original Top, still curious. What is the transfer rate in non revenue sports?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2020, 02:06:49 PM »
Even though this question does not have to do with the Original Top, still curious. What is the transfer rate in non revenue sports?

I have no earthly idea.

I do know that lacrosse is a revenue sport at many eastern schools, with several programs drawing an average of over 2,500 fans. Yet as far as transfer policy goes, lacrosse is treated differently than hockey - even though numerous Division 1 hockey schools play in arenas that don't even hold 2,500 fans.

The big Iowa schools draw huge crowds for wrestling, with the Iowa-Iowa State match in Ames drawing 11,238 and the Iowa-Wisconsin match in Iowa City drawing 10,603, for example. But that's not a revenue sport in which transfers have to sit out a year ... while Iowa baseball - which has trouble drawing 1,000 fans to games - is covered by the rule requiring transfers to sit out a year.

As is the case with their ridiculously random waiver policy, the NCAA is arbitrary and clueless in that realm, too.

Until athletes from those 5 sports get at least the same amount of freedom of movement as do their scholarship classmates from lacrosse, wrestling, volleyball, etc, it's nothing but discrimination, plain and simple. Of course in 3 of the 5 sports being discriminated against, the majority of athletes are black. Probably only a coincidence, though.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2020, 02:15:45 PM »

See Page 10 in the report below.
The top 10 (among four-year school transfers, i.e. excluding JUCOs) are:
Women's beach volleyball - 19.1 percent
Men's soccer - 16.1 percent
Men's basketball - 14.3 percent
Men's tennis - 13.1 percent
Women's tennis - 13 percent
Women's basketball - 11.7 percent
Men's golf - 8.9 percent
Women's volleyball - 8.8 percent
Women's golf - 8.6 percent
Men's skiing - 8.3 percent

FWIW, FBS football is just 4.3 percent

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/research/transfers/Aug2019RES_TransCompD1TeamsSlides.pdf
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 02:17:53 PM by Pakuni »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2020, 02:29:55 PM »

Revenue contracts....that’s a good one.  It’s also beyond silly.  TV contracts are not tied to one slice of one sport....they are much broader in nature.

The answer to your question is it should not be ok for anyone to transfer without sitting out.  It has been massively abused by men’s and women’s soccer and has been a concern of coaches in other sports as well.  I would note that none of those coaches are getting rich which is the red herring played by so many here on the football and basketball front.

I would be all for immediate transfers if the students reimbursed the programs for the time and money spent to train, educate, etc.

30+ years ago when I was considering MU I also considered West Point, etc.   I did not apply to the military schools.  They had a situation where if you left in after your first two years you had to payback the US Govt for the education they gave you.  I don’t know if that is still the case today...VMI was also on my list (private school) which I don’t believe had the same payback requirements.  My point is that a payback was required.  If student athletes want to buy their way out then I am all for it.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 02:35:23 PM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2020, 02:34:20 PM »
Men's golf - 8.9 percent

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/research/transfers/Aug2019RES_TransCompD1TeamsSlides.pdf

A bit skewed on the data...there are only about 65 women’s beach volleyball programs in the country....over 350 women’s basketball (same for men’s basketball) so the percentages jump because even slightest movement makes a bigger percentage impact.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2020, 03:04:08 PM »
Men's golf - 8.9 percent

Good stats, Pak. Thanks.

Men's soccer - which has some big, popular programs - has big-time transfer numbers.

It's amazing all those programs haven't had to be shut down because, well, you know.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2020, 03:07:38 PM »
Good stats, Pak. Thanks.

Men's soccer - which has some big, popular programs - has big-time transfer numbers.

It's amazing all those programs haven't had to be shut down because, well, you know.

It has been wildly abused in men’s soccer and has been for years Mr. Passive Aggressive.  Coaches have complained about it for a long time as kids are poached to other programs.

But since men’s soccer doesn’t fund programs like football and basketball do, no it would not impact programs being shut down.  Now, if you start doing this with actual profit bearing programs like football and basketball, different story.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2020, 03:19:01 PM »
It has been wildly abused in men’s soccer and has been for years Mr. Passive Aggressive.  Coaches have complained about it for a long time as kids are poached to other programs.

But since men’s soccer doesn’t fund programs like football and basketball do, no it would not impact programs being shut down.  Now, if you start doing this with actual profit bearing programs like football and basketball, different story.

No, it isn’t.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

feedback