[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Some additional positive press for the Big East  (Read 25784 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Some additional positive press for the Big East
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2020, 03:24:38 PM »
Good stats, Pak. Thanks.

Men's soccer - which has some big, popular programs - has big-time transfer numbers.

It's amazing all those programs haven't had to be shut down because, well, you know.

SMU landed 16 transfers last year in football and made the Top 25.  Many came from power conferences. 

https://247sports.com/college/smu/LongFormArticle/Shane-Buechele-Richard-McBryde-Thomas-Shelmire-Kedrick-James-Chevin-Calloway-CamRon-Jones-SMU-Mustangs-college-football-transfers-new-players-134499064/
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2020, 03:26:37 PM »
SMU landed 16 transfers last year in football and made the Top 25.  Many came from power conferences. 

https://247sports.com/college/smu/LongFormArticle/Shane-Buechele-Richard-McBryde-Thomas-Shelmire-Kedrick-James-Chevin-Calloway-CamRon-Jones-SMU-Mustangs-college-football-transfers-new-players-134499064/

Yep. Rather than destroying non-major programs, transfers benefit them.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2020, 03:39:57 PM »

UCLA has had massive transfers in the last three years that has hurt their ability.  75+ transfers through last year alone. 

We can play this game all day...it isn’t a zero sum game. Happy to provide other examples and have on the basketball side where mid-majors have lost 3 or 4 kids in one year and decimated a program.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 03:47:15 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2020, 03:40:17 PM »
Yep. Rather than destroying non-major programs, transfers benefit them.

Additional freedom of movement, as enjoyed by athletes in all but 5 sports as well as the rest of every school's students, will be an even bigger benefit.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2020, 03:50:26 PM »
Additional freedom of movement, as enjoyed by athletes in all but 5 sports as well as the rest of every school's students, will be an even bigger benefit.

Completely agree.  Schools that have problems losing players will have to look long and hard about why.  We can play this game all day but at the end of the day, you’ll have to figure out why. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2020, 03:50:45 PM »
UCLA has had massive transfers in the last three years that has hurt their ability.  75+ transfers through last year alone. 

We can play this game all day...it isn’t a zero sum game. Happy to provide other examples and have on the basketball side where mid-majors have lost 3 or 4 kids in one year and decimated a program.
How many sports did UCLA have to shut down because of this?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2020, 03:53:32 PM »
Poaching Problem: Mid-major college basketball teams fight 'slimy' recruiting from bigger schools.  This is before free agency....just imagine

https://www.standard.net/sports/poaching-problem-mid-major-college-basketball-teams-fight-slimy-recruiting/article_75743b06-dd99-596f-a298-4551f0d2b6ea.html

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2020, 03:55:12 PM »
Poaching Problem: Mid-major college basketball teams fight 'slimy' recruiting from bigger schools.  This is before free agency....just imagine

https://www.standard.net/sports/poaching-problem-mid-major-college-basketball-teams-fight-slimy-recruiting/article_75743b06-dd99-596f-a298-4551f0d2b6ea.html

I don’t believe the media

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2020, 04:00:48 PM »
6 Mid-Majors have made the Final 4 since 2010.  Take a gander at how many made the Final 4 before 2010

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2020, 04:07:44 PM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2020, 04:12:22 PM »
Completely agree.  Schools that have problems losing players will have to look long and hard about why.  We can play this game all day but at the end of the day, you’ll have to figure out why.

Weather, girls, uniforms, not paying under the table, not coddling to 18 year olds, etc etc.   All kinds of reasons, real and superficial why kids leave.

I predict the 800 or so transfers that happen now will explode even further to 1400 or more.  The age of not getting your way and rewarding tantrums....going to be awesome.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2020, 04:13:10 PM »
I don’t believe the media

Journalists are never wrong

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2020, 04:15:02 PM »
6 Mid-Majors have made the Final 4 since 2010.  Take a gander at how many made the Final 4 before 2010

Crapshoot

You realize when MU made it in 2003 we were labeled as a mid major by some publications.  Define midmajor.

Free agency will change the future fundamentally for mid majors.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2020, 04:15:31 PM »
Which of these programs moved down a level or quit altogether?

Has free agency started yet?  That’s what I thought. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2020, 04:29:34 PM »
Weather, girls, uniforms, not paying under the table, not coddling to 18 year olds, etc etc.   All kinds of reasons, real and superficial why kids leave.

I predict the 800 or so transfers that happen now will explode even further to 1400 or more.  The age of not getting your way and rewarding tantrums....going to be awesome.

Like the song said - “It’s the end of the world as we know it.........and I feel fine!”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2020, 04:32:24 PM »
FFS Cheeks, in how many topics are you going to debate this?  Everyone knows your point of view.  Just because people disagree with it, doesn't mean you have to respond every...f*cking...time...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2020, 04:41:10 PM »
Crapshoot

You realize when MU made it in 2003 we were labeled as a mid major by some publications.  Define midmajor.

Free agency will change the future fundamentally for mid majors.

And low-majors and power conferences.  What won’t change?  The number of division 1 schools or number of lower level schools trying to get to that level.

The system is STACKED against them today, was yesterday and will be tomorrow.  And they ain’t gonna stop trying because the student athletes have the ability to transfer once without sitting out.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2020, 04:41:55 PM »
Its getting sickening, this idiot posting and taking over every thread  !! !   I have him on IGNORE and I still see his posts when he gets "quoted" everywhere.... Very frustrating ! ! !     Makes this site suck....  Im sorry just my little opinion ! ! !  8-)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2020, 04:43:25 PM »
Has free agency started yet?  That’s what I thought.

Can we talk about all the mid-majors that have benefited as a result of transfers?
Like the Loyola team that made the Final Four with a transfer leading the way?
Or the San Diego State team  currently ranked in the top 5, with two of its three leading scorers being transfers from P6 schools?
Or the Nevada team that made the Sweet 16 in 2018 thanks to four transfers from P6 programs?

And since you mention Marquette in 2003, didn't that team benefit greatly as a result of a transfer from a bigger conference?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2020, 04:53:51 PM »
Can we talk about all the mid-majors that have benefited as a result of transfers?
Like the Loyola team that made the Final Four with a transfer leading the way?
Or the San Diego State team  currently ranked in the top 5, with two of its three leading scorers being transfers from P6 schools?
Or the Nevada team that made the Sweet 16 in 2018 thanks to four transfers from P6 programs?

And since you mention Marquette in 2003, didn't that team benefit greatly as a result of a transfer from a bigger conference?

Dontcha know?  Kids won’t transfer down ever anymore.  Especially with it being easier for them to go somewhere and get more playing time.  It’s ludicrous to think that will happen anymore

tower912

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2020, 05:00:08 PM »
Traci Carter, Haanif Cheatham, Odartey, Amo, Karon, Deonte, Dawson, the list goes on.   Transfers go both ways.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2020, 05:01:42 PM »
Its getting sickening, this idiot posting and taking over every thread  !! !   I have him on IGNORE and I still see his posts when he gets "quoted" everywhere.... Very frustrating ! ! !     Makes this site suck....  Im sorry just my little opinion ! ! !  8-)

Every thread....good lord can you be more dramatic.  I’m just answering the posts that are here.  Nothing more

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2020, 05:02:47 PM »
And low-majors and power conferences.  What won’t change?  The number of division 1 schools or number of lower level schools trying to get to that level.

The system is STACKED against them today, was yesterday and will be tomorrow.  And they ain’t gonna stop trying because the student athletes have the ability to transfer once without sitting out.

Yes....and it only gets worse which is what I am saying.  Stacked becomes more stacked.  Further consolidation of power, wealth and control

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2020, 05:10:50 PM »
Yes....and it only gets worse which is what I am saying.  Stacked becomes more stacked.  Further consolidation of power, wealth and control

The rich get richer every year.  The gap gets bigger every year regardless of doing what is best for the student athlete. 

feedback