[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Izzo goes after fans  (Read 4321 times)

tower912

• All American
Izzo goes after fans
« on: February 05, 2020, 05:15:06 AM »
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2020/02/05/tom-izzo-michigan-state-basketball-fans/4664536002/

K last year having to defend his freshmen, now Izzo having to defend his players.     Those are two of the pillars who have had it with their fanbase.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Izzo goes after fans
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 05:57:22 AM »
 I'm a man.  I'm 40.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 07:13:52 AM »
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2020/02/05/tom-izzo-michigan-state-basketball-fans/4664536002/

K last year having to defend his freshmen, now Izzo having to defend his players.     Those are two of the pillars who have had it with their fanbase.   

Let's bring him here! He'll love our fans!
Have some patience, FFS.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 08:00:28 AM »
There is no better way of stopping fans from sending "abusive social media posts" than an old man yelling at a press conference.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 08:31:29 AM »
Not sure his age has anything to do with it.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 08:40:01 AM »
There is no better way of stopping fans from sending "abusive social media posts" than an old man yelling at a press conference.

Ageism and sexism.

You forgot to mention his race for the trifecta.   
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 08:44:23 AM »
Izzo is trash
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 08:50:19 AM »
they've got to have their own "msu scoop"  better tell his players not to look there, right jh?
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 09:23:37 AM »
Izzo is trash

I actually think he made a lot of good points. He even asked that critics go after him, not his players.

I understand why you might dislike him; he's made some dopey (and even hurtful) statements in the past, and done a couple of less-than-cool things. But IMHO, this actually reflects pretty well on him. I also think it reflects how most coaches and athletes feel about this issue.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 09:52:58 AM »
I actually think he made a lot of good points. He even asked that critics go after him, not his players.

I understand why you might dislike him; he's made some dopey (and even hurtful) statements in the past, and done a couple of less-than-cool things. But IMHO, this actually reflects pretty well on him. I also think it reflects how most coaches and athletes feel about this issue.

His opinion on all things should be ignored. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 10:25:12 AM »
Despite the "old man yelling at cloud" element to this, it's fine that Izzo is standing up for his players.

And I'm sure that the old, wealthy authority figures of America sleep well knowing Cheeks forever has their backs.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 10:30:02 AM »

Showed more passion denouncing this than he has ever shown denouncing the systemic sexual assault indiscretions of the East Lansing institution.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 11:04:39 AM »
Showed more passion denouncing this than he has ever shown denouncing the systemic sexual assault indiscretions of the East Lansing institution.

This and he always seems to rant about “social media” and things after losses.  Pretty convenient

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 11:05:27 AM »
Izzo has made mistakes.  But he isn't wrong about this.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2020, 11:07:27 AM »

True.

This and he always seems to rant about “social media” and things after losses.  Pretty convenient

True.

And true.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 11:09:16 AM »

The way he was treating Aaron Henry last year in the tourney though, It'd be very fair to call him a hypocrite.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 11:13:57 AM »
The way he was treating Aaron Henry last year in the tourney though, It'd be very fair to call him a hypocrite.

Well ... I wouldn't have treated Aaron Henry like that. And I don't blame you for calling him a hypocrite.

But his defenders probably can make a pretty good argument for an "I can yell at my son, but don't you dare yell at my son" kind of thing.

Coaches yell at players. I thought Izzo was over the top that time and criticized him for it. But coaches do yell at players. Always have, always will.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 01:42:05 PM »

grown men who tweet insults at 18-22 year old college kids (usually behind an alias to prevent them from being identified too) deserve to be criticized and more.

It's one thing for a coach to do it while trying to make the player better, but some 40 year old know it all who probably didn't even make his HS team (and probably never went to a four-year college) should be called out and shamed. Seriously, who are we to claim a kid "doesn't care," "quit" based on what we watched on TV or from the stands.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 01:44:14 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 01:46:17 PM »
Despite the "old man yelling at cloud" element to this, it's fine that Izzo is standing up for his players.

Right.  I have no problem with him doing this.  It's just not going to be very effective on geting it to stop.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 04:20:45 PM »
grown men who tweet insults at 18-22 year old college kids (usually behind an alias to prevent them from being identified too) deserve to be criticized and more.

It's one thing for a coach to do it while trying to make the player better, but some 40 year old know it all who probably didn't even make his HS team (and probably never went to a four-year college) should be called out and shamed. Seriously, who are we to claim a kid "doesn't care," "quit" based on what we watched on TV or from the stands.

You've spend time among the badger fanbase, I see.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 05:33:52 PM »
His opinion on all things should be ignored.

Your opinion is noted - and ignored.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2020, 06:22:24 PM »

Well said.

I see an awful lot of tourists in DT Seattle wearing Badger kit. And to a man, whenever I ask if they went to UW the answer is no.

Frankly, I just don't get that.

Death on call

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2020, 02:05:48 PM »

nope.  But it is definitely an issue with all fan bases, MU included.  I will give credit to an old roommate, a Badger grad and die hard, who chastised on FB those, including some of his friends, who attacked Diamond Stone on social media for not choosing Buckyville.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2020, 03:19:53 PM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 06:05:35 AM »
MSU has got to be an underdoggie at illini-when was the last time izzy lost 4 in a row?  jh has got to be thinking...what was i thing?
don't...don't don't don't don't