[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Gruber  (Read 5297 times)

lostpassword

• Starter
Gruber
« on: February 02, 2020, 08:10:36 PM »
Have not seen Gruber at the forum this year.  Does he still attend the MU games?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Gruber
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 10:27:31 AM »
Have not seen Gruber at the forum this year.  Does he still attend the MU games?

4ever is holding Gruber's dentures hostage.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 10:30:50 AM »
he posts on here. Quite a bit lately

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 10:35:25 AM »
The Gruber T-Shirt toss would be waaaaaaaaay more entertaining if he was out there on the court throwing Ts.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 10:38:49 AM »
The Gruber T-Shirt toss would be waaaaaaaaay more entertaining if he was out there on the court throwing Ts.

Only if you sit in the first ten rows.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 10:53:57 AM »

Cheeks is gruber?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 11:06:47 AM »
Cheeks is gruber?

Depends... have all of the bigwigs at DirecTV, ESPN, Disney, and in Silicon Valley & Hollywood recently been injured in accidents?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 11:10:07 AM »
When I was a kid, I thought he may have some sort of speech impediment/disability, and thought it was impressive that he still was a successful lawyer. Then I got older and realized it’s just bad over-dubbing and exaggerating lip-syncing in his commercials  ;D

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 11:37:03 AM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 11:41:07 AM »
Only if you sit in the first ten rows.

So nothing would change, then.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 12:28:14 PM »
Depends... have all of the bigwigs at DirecTV, ESPN, Disney, and in Silicon Valley & Hollywood recently been injured in accidents?

I don't think Cheeks has connectivity with Silicon Valley.

No kidding, he is plugged into the sports marketing world in a big way. The Sand Hill Road Mob is a more reserved crowd which simply doesn't have the same star power for The Panty Dropper. 

Death on call

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 07:42:37 PM »

Interesting.

Ha!  For several years I have been advocating evolving the the t-shirt toss to "throw the t-shirts TO Gruber"... as in keep tossing them until they are all in a pile at his feet.  Wasn't my idea but one I support.  ...but no idea if he actually attends in person this year.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 08:21:27 PM »

No kidding, he is plugged into the sports marketing world in a big way. The Sand Hill Road Mob is a more reserved crowd which simply doesn't have the same star power for The Panty Dropper.

Heresy. He broke bread with Mark Cuban in the last week. How do we know? He told us.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 10:38:42 PM »

Actually.....I do...going back years ago to TiVo and most recently with Google.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 10:39:05 PM »
Heresy. He broke bread with Mark Cuban in the last week. How do we know? He told us.

Honesty is the best policy
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 03:01:27 AM »
Actually.....I do...going back years ago to TiVo and most recently with Google.

Wasn't aware. I know some of those Sand Hill guys but they focus on ones and zeros and not real science.

I mean, why finance clean energy infrastructure when there is the next Angry Bird out there somewhere.

Some Meat Summiteers are talking about playing AZ. Still riding the Panty Dropper down there?

Death on call

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 01:56:08 AM »
Wasn't aware. I know some of those Sand Hill guys but they focus on ones and zeros and not real science.

I mean, why finance clean energy infrastructure when there is the next Angry Bird out there somewhere.

Some Meat Summiteers are talking about playing AZ. Still riding the Panty Dropper down there?
Angry Birds? You mean like Greta getting the nod for Person of The Year when supposedly some grad student in a chem lab discovered a bacteria that breaks down plastics?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 08:08:23 AM »

Heard a presentation yesterday about how it would do the world of venture investing a lot of good if the large firms would relocate out of Silicon Valley.  I'm sure the point is exaggerated, but the point is that innovation is happening a lot of places and in many industries and places like Sand Hill are getting too myopic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 08:15:58 AM »

Heard a presentation yesterday about how it would do the world of venture investing a lot of good if the large firms would relocate out of Silicon Valley.  I'm sure the point is exaggerated, but the point is that innovation is happening a lot of places and in many industries and places like Sand Hill are getting too myopic.

How much of the reason for being in Silicon Valley is about getting bought, and how much of it is about tech innovation?

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 08:23:31 AM »
Angry Birds? You mean like Greta getting the nod for Person of The Year when supposedly some grad student in a chem lab discovered a bacteria that breaks down plastics?
Or like Rachael Maddow getting the Medal of Freedom? Oh...

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 07:51:13 PM »
I would prefer the crowd get to throw Ts AT him in retaliation for producing commercials that have nearly worn out my tv remote mute button

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2020, 10:26:01 PM »

Something like that.

Real change comes from hard science investigation arising from an empowering educational system and fueled by enabling capital. Scientific research is hard work. And its practitioners must be able to endure years of frustration and failure in the quest for discovery and innovation.   

I am disgusted by a culture which celebrates a shrill, shallow science-challenged teenager who couldn't tell you the difference between a joule and a rhinestone. Simplistic sound bites is comforting pabulum for the naïve and the unsophisticated but offer no solution for real problems.

Contemporary society is based on our ability to unleash the potentiality of complex hydrocarbons. The ignorance about that fact and, far worse, the hypocrisy swirling around its use is staggering.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2020, 11:02:06 PM »

Sultan

The Bay Area / Sand Hill / Puget Sound VC world provides accelerator capital for promising technologies which have altered significantly the way the entire world works, communicates, interacts, and collaborates. A secondary focus is life science which is why biotech is centered in the Bay Area and Seattle.

I know a lot of those guys and there is tremendous synergy in being co-located.

Here is a real-life benefit of co-location and how networking assists promising start-ups:

Before Christmas we took theBabyDavid to a South Lake Union breakfast place, Portage Bay - they have massive bowls of whipped cream and fresh strawberries for pancakes which are catnip for a two year old boy.

I had on a Michigan t shirt which brought another U of M alum over to say hello.

Turns out he is the CEO of a start up bringing a new open-top 3-D light sheet microscope for histopathology to market. They have been living off of grants from NIH, Fred Hutch, and DoD and were supposed to close a private equity raise in December which fell through.

I am with a London-based PE firm but our focus is on clean, renewable energy and we are more project finance than early stage tech. But because the Seattle PE and VC community is tight I was able to hook him up with two firms and they should close a $3MM raise for the start-up this month.

The highest hurdle in seeking capital is getting to a decision-maker. In this case, a little boy's passion for unlimited whipped cream for his pancakes led to a significant life science technology receiving the attention it deserves.

Sand Hill focuses on productivity and collaboration tools. We have syndicated some deals with a couple firms, Andreessen in particular, but that is because of the blending of mechanical systems with electrical controls (Machine Learning Algorithms / AI.)

The benefit of having deep connectivity with a couple Sand Hill firms is that it levers into connectivity with all of them. Different raises have different mandates so if a fund can't play in one of our deals they will barter to bring in another (we don't need capital; we want vertical expertise on electrical innovation which a Sand Hill firm can bring.)

Not that it will happen but de-centralizing VC would have tragic consequences.

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2020, 01:37:06 PM »
Something like that.

Real change comes from hard science investigation arising from an empowering educational system and fueled by enabling capital. Scientific research is hard work. And its practitioners must be able to endure years of frustration and failure in the quest for discovery and innovation.   

I am disgusted by a culture which celebrates a shrill, shallow science-challenged teenager who couldn't tell you the difference between a joule and a rhinestone. Simplistic sound bites is comforting pabulum for the naïve and the unsophisticated but offer no solution for real problems.

Contemporary society is based on our ability to unleash the potentiality of complex hydrocarbons. The ignorance about that fact and, far worse, the hypocrisy swirling around its use is staggering.

While the underlying point is valid, it's more disgusting that you're slamming a teenage girl who is, at best, being used as a mouth-piece by someone else.

That said, sustainability of contemporary society's hydrocarbon model needs to evolve, but not to the extent anyone is screaming about.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2020, 02:40:33 PM »
While the underlying point is valid, it's more disgusting that you're slamming a teenage girl who is, at best, being used as a mouth-piece by someone else.

She may be a mouthpiece, but at the very least she's being condescending and aggressively arrogant to anyone not perfectly aligned with her camp.  I don't think its completely necessary to not comment on that just cause she's a teen.  She kind of brought herself into "tried as an adult" in the court of public opinion with her maneuvering and platform.

feedback