collapse

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: new NBA logo?  (Read 5538 times)

withoutbias

• All American
Re: new NBA logo?
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 09:54:04 AM »
I am always amazed at how over the top are the statements about celebrities when they die, especially under tragic circumstances.

Kobe Bryant was a basketball player. And he was hardly a saint.

Let his family grieve but his passing is not in any way a tragic loss for mankind.

A good friend of mine is a geneticist at Fred Hutch, part of a team that has won several Nobel Prizes. That man's work is epic. And I rather doubt he has the checkered personal life of Mr Bryant.

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/about/about-the-hutch/honors-awards.html

As a society, we vest far too much value in the contribution of celebrity. And celebrity has an annoying habit of over reach, expounding on complex issues in which they have absolutely zero authority and yet speak with such assurance.

Kobe Bryant played basketball. The tradesmen who don hard hat and build skyscrapers in downtown Seattle have far greater nobility, quite frankly.

Very cool and relevant.

A flex as sick as Cheeks's name drops.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2020, 10:03:48 AM »
While I agree that it's been too over the top with Kobe, there is no reason to say someone else's death should mean more.  That's not really helpful either.

I am not saying that, Sultan. Everyone's passing is a tragedy for someone.

But the eulogies for this guy are beyond absurd. And, as you have pointed out, there are more than a few women whose lives he shattered.

The guy was an entertainer. Nothing more. And, frankly, his predatory behavior was disturbing. He avoided censure and punishment by paying off people. Including his wife. 

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2020, 11:27:18 AM »
I am always amazed at how over the top are the statements about celebrities when they die, especially under tragic circumstances.

Kobe Bryant was a basketball player. And he was hardly a saint.

Let his family grieve but his passing is not in any way a tragic loss for mankind.

A good friend of mine is a geneticist at Fred Hutch, part of a team that has won several Nobel Prizes. That man's work is epic. And I rather doubt he has the checkered personal life of Mr Bryant.

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/about/about-the-hutch/honors-awards.html

As a society, we vest far too much value in the contribution of celebrity. And celebrity has an annoying habit of over reach, expounding on complex issues in which they have absolutely zero authority and yet speak with such assurance.

Kobe Bryant played basketball. The tradesmen who don hard hat and build skyscrapers in downtown Seattle have far greater nobility, quite frankly

OK as long as they weren't firefighters eh?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2020, 12:16:42 PM »
Kobe Bryant played basketball. The tradesmen who don hard hat and build skyscrapers in downtown Seattle have far greater nobility, quite frankly.
Or firemen, right?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2020, 12:18:35 PM »
this is a typical knee jerk response in our social media culture when someone dies - do everything to honor them even if it's extreme.

First we change the logo (and like Cheeks said, what happens when Jordan dies). Then we retire 24 across the league. Hell, in high school and college too. No more 24. Then "24" on every court.  The 24 second shot clock becomes "the Kobe Clock" and the 8 second violation becomes "the Kobe violation." Oh, and since he was an 18-time all-star, let's rename it the "Kobe Star Game." Oh, and we need to detonate that resort in Colorado too.

Of course, we have to change all of that when Jordan dies, then when LeBron dies.

When did they remove Wilt Chamberlain from the Logo?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2020, 03:41:25 PM »

Don’t bury wilt just yet!  Thanks to that lil blue pill, he’s still putting notches in the ole bed post ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2020, 03:42:29 PM »

20,000 reasons why The Stilt should be the face of the NBA

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2020, 03:51:38 PM »
20,000 reasons why The Stilt should be the face of the NBA

20,000?  That was the “reported” number back in 2001. He has a sign in his front yard reading like our national debt #’s
don't...don't don't don't don't

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2020, 07:25:19 AM »
No need for a logo change, and yes, the celebrity factor very unfortunately makes a lot of people feel like it’s all too much.
There was an article out a few days ago where the Disney heiress said we need to stop making Kobe a deity because he wasn’t that great of a guy.  That’s not false, but she’s really probably one of the last people who should be saying that.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2020, 08:27:15 AM »

author=GooooMarquette link=topic=59847.msg1200558#msg1200558 date=1580238050]
I guess I don't understand why anything permanent ought to be done just because the guy died.

See: John F. Kennedy.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 08:31:56 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2020, 09:59:41 AM »
Very cool and relevant.

A flex as sick as Cheeks's name drops.

You would have loved it this week with me....lots of names, lots of fun meetings and drinks, etc.  But I will spare you.   Had a wonderful time last two nights with some MU grads and former MU athletics employees here in Miami that I was able to assist and make a few memories for them to meet some players and celebs.  Good times.  Glad they were able to do a little name dropping of their own.  ;)
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2020, 10:12:05 AM »
You would have loved it this week with me....lots of names, lots of fun meetings and drinks, etc.  But I will spare you.   Had a wonderful time last two nights with some MU grads and former MU athletics employees here in Miami that I was able to assist and make a few memories for them to meet some players and celebs.  Good times.  Glad they were able to do a little name dropping of their own.  ;)

And to think. It’s all thanks to you. What a great guy!

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2020, 11:19:15 AM »
When I first heard about Kobe's death, I though about similar tragedies involving athletes of significant stature.  Roberto Clemente immediately came to mind.  3,000 career hits.  Prototypical 5 skill player.  Premier Latin American player of his time.  One of the best I ever saw play.  Worked in the sugar cane fields as a child. Marine Corps veteran.  Prolific philanthropist and he perished during an effort to aid victims of an earthquake.  There were many well deserved accolades, including special HOF acceptance the after his death, in the days without social media. In comparison, the attention given to Kobe is at best over the top and ridiculous.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2020, 12:52:11 PM »
When I first heard about Kobe's death, I though about similar tragedies involving athletes of significant stature.  Roberto Clemente immediately came to mind.  3,000 career hits.  Prototypical 5 skill player.  Premier Latin American player of his time.  One of the best I ever saw play.  Worked in the sugar cane fields as a child. Marine Corps veteran.  Prolific philanthropist and he perished during an effort to aid victims of an earthquake.  There were many well deserved accolades, including special HOF acceptance the after his death, in the days without social media. In comparison, the attention given to Kobe is at best over the top and ridiculous.
Agree, plus Clemente was still active and playing at an All Star level when he died.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2020, 01:42:26 PM »
And to think. It’s all thanks to you. What a great guy!

In this particular case....yes.  In other cases where I have been the beneficiary of unique moments, there was someone else that was responsible.

That is how it works.

Thanks.  You have a blessed day.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2020, 01:27:51 AM »

Sheriff

Your comments are spot on.

Roberto Clemente, USMC, was a man of impeccable character who not just served the less fortunate but died in that service.

Kobe Bryant was a man of questionable character who served himself.

Death on call

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2020, 08:06:01 AM »
Kobe Bryant was a man of questionable character who served himself.

Crash, with all due respect, I don’t think that’s fair and a bit dated. Much of the “blowback” to the Kobe remembrance and praise seems to be grounded in a mid to late 2000s lens. Kobe in his later career, and certainly in retirement, really made a turn. The stories out of his community in Newport Beach paint a picture of someone who matured and entered a new phase in his life. Specifically, not just his newfound approachability, but the depth of his charitable endeavors which he explicitly wanted to remain free of PR buzz and promotion. And lest it be painted with the favorable post-mortem brush, this was stuff I was reading and hearing well before he passed away. I had a former colleague who spent many years with Gatorade and interacted with him plenty as a result. She moved not long ago to a marketing role within one of his businesses where she interfaced directly with him monthly. She said “personality wise, I could scarcely recognize him. He was always charming enough, but detached and very much a restrained a**hole. But now? He is one of the most engaging, considerate, and thoughtful people I’ve ever worked with. His biggest problem is he won’t shut up about his kids haha”

There’s no doubt he earned much of the reputation from his 20s, but how many people gain a new clarity and wisdom from fatherhood and life in general into their 40s? I think that’s where much of the most moving Kobe remembrances came, from this next stage of life, not just the ruthless athlete and competitor.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2020, 12:20:43 PM »
Crash, with all due respect, I don’t think that’s fair and a bit dated. Much of the “blowback” to the Kobe remembrance and praise seems to be grounded in a mid to late 2000s lens. Kobe in his later career, and certainly in retirement, really made a turn. The stories out of his community in Newport Beach paint a picture of someone who matured and entered a new phase in his life. Specifically, not just his newfound approachability, but the depth of his charitable endeavors which he explicitly wanted to remain free of PR buzz and promotion. And lest it be painted with the favorable post-mortem brush, this was stuff I was reading and hearing well before he passed away. I had a former colleague who spent many years with Gatorade and interacted with him plenty as a result. She moved not long ago to a marketing role within one of his businesses where she interfaced directly with him monthly. She said “personality wise, I could scarcely recognize him. He was always charming enough, but detached and very much a restrained a**hole. But now? He is one of the most engaging, considerate, and thoughtful people I’ve ever worked with. His biggest problem is he won’t shut up about his kids haha”

There’s no doubt he earned much of the reputation from his 20s, but how many people gain a new clarity and wisdom from fatherhood and life in general into their 40s? I think that’s where much of the most moving Kobe remembrances came, from this next stage of life, not just the ruthless athlete and competitor.

Wags

I respect your judgment so I can accept that the man matured into someone better.

Gatorade! I remember that acquisition. A classic business case. I am sure your friend / colleague had a blast in that brand building effort. I think the heritage was academia to Stokely to Quaker Oats to PepsiCo.

It's like Filipino friends have described their history: 500 Years in a Convent then 50 Years in Hollywood.   

Death on call

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2020, 01:25:58 PM »
"He said don't buy anything, let me see what I can do.  Later he donated some sports autographed merchandise for an auction.  I know he donated stuff for that poor young kid with Cancer here.  Has he ever met that kid with cancer?” –Hoopaloop, extolling the virtues of ChicosBailBonds

Nice that you are skipping the middle man and going direct.  Much more efficient than having to change accounts.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2020, 01:47:12 PM »
Gatorade! I remember that acquisition. A classic business case. I am sure your friend / colleague had a blast in that brand building effort. I think the heritage was academia to Stokely to Quaker Oats to PepsiCo.

Yep!  Gatorade quickly outperformed everything else Stokley-Van Camp made.  Quaker bought SVC and sold off both the Stokley piece and the Van Camp piece within a decade.  I wonder what product/brand they were truly eyeing during that acquisition, haha

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2020, 10:20:50 PM »
Yep!  Gatorade quickly outperformed everything else Stokley-Van Camp made.  Quaker bought SVC and sold off both the Stokley piece and the Van Camp piece within a decade.  I wonder what product/brand they were truly eyeing during that acquisition, haha

Canned Creamed Corn...Canned Beans in a Mystery Sauce...

Little wonder they dumped those brands!

What PepsiCo did with Gatorade is a case study in building a brand. 

Death on call

feedback