[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New building for the B school  (Read 5450 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: New building for the B school
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2020, 10:47:30 PM »
Yep, I like that location too.   

16th and Wisconsin is a premier, gateway location.   Great location for a great academic building.

Honestly, I had to think about the "no academics north of Wisconsin" so it's not like a magic rule never to be broken.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2020, 10:51:54 PM »
Chick, the new location is actually better if you look at it from a foot traffic and student pattern...plus while physical connection would have been nice this actually allows for my more focused builds while enabling collaboration.

Yes it started as ego, it's actually the right call

As Bob Ross would say "and theres a happy.little accident"

Architects and planners wish. Engineers and benefactors build.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2020, 10:54:02 PM »
Honestly, I had to think about the "no academics north of Wisconsin" so it's not like a magic rule never to be broken.

Well, again, other than the Varsity lectures and the new Athletic Human Performance Research Center the magic rule that was broken decades ago only to be broken again a year ago.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2020, 11:11:30 PM »
Wasn't the Physicians Assistant program's building on Wells?  Maybe I'm remembering wrong.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2020, 11:25:10 PM »
Why can't we build with a cohesive look in mind? Seemed like we had turned a corner on doing that

muwarrior69

• All American

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2020, 08:02:11 AM »
Why can't we build with a cohesive look in mind? Seemed like we had turned a corner on doing that

There's a basic design theme going on between Zilber, engineering and this proposal. They just keep on getting glassier.

I prefer to have similar style points, but I disliked campuses like Purdue & Indiana with the exact same construction throughout.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2020, 08:07:03 AM »
Yeah and if yo waitin' on a bus at 16th, ya kan duck inta Biz Add ta warm up on a kold dey, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2020, 08:55:26 AM »
I don't think there is anything magical about Wisconsin Avenue as a dividing line between academic and non-academic.  It's clustered near engineering, library, etc.  It's not like its going to be on 17th and Wells.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

5YearsatMU

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2020, 11:47:33 AM »
I don't believe this was the original location highlighted in their master plan.  I think the rec center was going to go there with the new business building where Helfaer is now.

Plans like those always change though.

This has been the planned location for over a year now. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2020, 11:55:55 AM »
Well, again, other than the Varsity lectures and the new Athletic Human Performance Research Center the magic rule that was broken decades ago only to be broken again a year ago.

Heck, before 1975, the Journalism building was at 11th and Kilbourn. It moved to Johnston Hall in 1975.

Boy was that a walk to get to class on time. Especially on cold, snowy winter days.

checkmarq

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2020, 09:20:25 AM »
Wasn't the Physicians Assistant program's building on Wells?  Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I believe the physical therapy program is also based off of 17th and Wells.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2020, 09:55:31 AM »
The thing to keep in mind was the master plan that rolled out five years ago had the official stance of nothing academic north of Wisconsin, but nothing was built against that master plan.....until the B school that just got announced. Is it really a rule if it's never implemented and if the outside world didn't really even know about it? So the master plan has been tweaked some which is why it's taken so long to get the new B school announced but it's not like they are going back to square one

No plan survives first contact with the enemy - Moltke the Elder
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2020, 10:03:59 AM »
The thing to keep in mind was the master plan that rolled out five years ago had the official stance of nothing academic north of Wisconsin, but nothing was built against that master plan.....until the B school that just got announced. Is it really a rule if it's never implemented and if the outside world didn't really even know about it? So the master plan has been tweaked some which is why it's taken so long to get the new B school announced but it's not like they are going back to square one

No plan survives first contact with the enemy - Moltke the Elder

So again, you aren't counting the Athletic Human Performance Research Center? And has plans to expand?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2020, 10:13:44 AM »
So again, you aren't counting the Athletic Human Performance Research Center? And has plans to expand?

The athlete dorm on the west side of the building will look great.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2020, 10:33:44 AM »

Wasn’t the original plan for that to be by the Ramada and a much different building? I don’t think the current building was in the Master Plan 5 years ago.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2020, 10:39:37 AM »

Wasn’t the original plan for that to be by the Ramada and a much different building? I don’t think the current building was in the Master Plan 5 years ago.

I think there's a big pipeline (nh) that rins through one of the properties down that way,  and it is too expensive to move, so MU abandoned those plans.

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »
Believe me, college / universities building master plans are *always* tweeked. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2020, 11:36:15 AM »

Yes, but Eng said nothing was built...but the first phase of athletics and research center went a year ago so the Master Plan had already changed before the Benny Biz Ad building was announced this week.  Minor nit but my point is that that idea (north of Wisconsin) was tossed a couple of years ago and the expansion had, in fact,  already occurred.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2020, 12:04:34 PM »
Yes, but Eng said nothing was built...but the first phase of athletics and research center went a year ago so the Master Plan had already changed before the Benny Biz Ad building was announced this week.  Minor nit but my point is that that idea (north of Wisconsin) was tossed a couple of years ago and the expansion had, in fact,  already occurred.

Research centers primary use is not academics
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2020, 12:37:30 PM »
Research centers primary use is not academics

I assume you mean not an instructional building, because a research center is an academic facility.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2020, 12:51:49 PM »
I assume you mean not an instructional building, because a research center is an academic facility.

I am guessing he means its primary use is a team facility for LAX.