[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: new NBA logo?  (Read 5621 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
new NBA logo?
« on: January 27, 2020, 08:18:55 AM »
 since yesterday afternoon's tragic helicopter accident involving 9 people including kobe bryant, his daughter brianna, john altobelli, his wife and a daughter,  and others,  there is a call to change the NBA logo to one featuring kobe.  i think this is a valid discussion, but there also may be other ways to honor him within the circles of  the NBA.  i'm not saying do not change the logo, but "knee jerk reactions" aren't always the well thought out.  but i am also willing to listen to a balanced debate-

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/kobe-bryant-dead-nba-change-logo

many say, while others will feign ignorance for legal and proprietary reasons, that the original and present NBA logo is a silhouette of jerry west.  if true, it was created back in 1969 while he was in the middle of a great career.

https://theundefeated.com/features/hall-of-fame-jerry-west-designer-alan-siegel-nba-logo/

regardless, it is an interesting story of how and why the original logo was created.  is the tragic death of kobe bryant a valid reason to change something that in essence provided kobe a venue to become famous between 1996-2016?  would the NBA be just as famous if a guy like kobe never came about?  although he was a great player, the youngest to reach the 30,000 point plateau, the NBA is a collective gathering of many who made and continue to make the NBA an international organization.  i think there could be something the NBA could do in his honor, but i'm not sure changing an iconic logo at this point would be proper.
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: new NBA logo?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 09:12:05 AM »
If Jordan were killed next year, would they change it again?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 09:12:32 AM »
It's an interesting idea.  Especially since Jerry West has long said they should change the logo. 

Kobe has as good of a claim as anyone, but I don't know if you can give it to him just because he died.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 09:13:18 AM »
If Jordan were killed next year, would they change it again?

This is where I am.  You can't really change it just because he died. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 09:14:42 AM »
No thanks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 09:22:17 AM »
  but i am also willing to listen to a balanced debate-
Boy, did you come to the wrong place.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 09:44:01 AM »
Nope.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 11:48:59 AM »
Nah
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 12:04:49 PM »
Naming the MVP award after Kobe makes much more sense. Not 1 in 100 people could identify Maurice Podoloff.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 12:40:51 PM »
Naming the MVP award after Kobe makes much more sense. Not 1 in 100 people could identify Maurice Podoloff.

Reasonable ... although he won the MVP award exactly the same number of times that Rose, Shaq, Westbrook, Cowens, Nowitzki, Reed and Iverson.

And half as many times as Steve Nash, Steph Curry and Bob Pettit each did.

Again, I would think Jordan (someday) would be a more appropriate person to name that award after. Or Magic, or Kareem, or Russell, or LeBron.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 12:45:43 PM »
Reasonable ... although he won the MVP award exactly the same number of times that Rose, Shaq, Westbrook, Cowens, Nowitzki, Reed and Iverson.

And half as many times as Steve Nash, Steph Curry and Bob Pettit each did.

Again, I would think Jordan (someday) would be a more appropriate person to name that award after. Or Magic, or Kareem, or Russell, or LeBron.

You're technically correct, 82.

But, by that reasoning, let's get rid of Jerry West on the logo for the entire league. He never won an MVP. There is also no question that KB was a better player than Steve Nash, Steph Curry or Bob Pettit.

More than being one of the greatest players ever, he defined an era in the NBA as Jordan did before him and Lebron did after Kobe. If you ask a kid in China or Africa who Bob Pettit is, I guess most would be clueless. They all know Kobe, just as much as MJ and LBJ.

If it was MJ who had died, I think most would support the MVP being named for him, but he didn't. If this were about accomplishments, it should be the Kareen Abdul Jabbar award. He won it more than anyone else and is arguably the greatest player in NBA history.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 01:00:50 PM »
I guess I don't understand why anything permanent ought to be done just because the guy died. Tragedy? Absolutely. Reason to rename trophies or re-do logos? Not to me.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 01:05:34 PM »
I guess I don't understand why anything permanent ought to be done just because the guy died.

Because this is why you have waiting periods for the hall of fame, etc.  Because people get too hung up on emotion and short-term thinking.

I mean, they named the Larry O'Brien Trophy in honor of the namesake's retirement despite the fact the was a pretty terrible commissioner.  In retrospect, waiting for awhile would have been a better option.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 01:06:11 PM »
And the NBA will never change its logo to honor Kobe considering the rape allegations. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 01:09:18 PM »
this is a typical knee jerk response in our social media culture when someone dies - do everything to honor them even if it's extreme.

First we change the logo (and like Cheeks said, what happens when Jordan dies). Then we retire 24 across the league. Hell, in high school and college too. No more 24. Then "24" on every court.  The 24 second shot clock becomes "the Kobe Clock" and the 8 second violation becomes "the Kobe violation." Oh, and since he was an 18-time all-star, let's rename it the "Kobe Star Game." Oh, and we need to detonate that resort in Colorado too.

Of course, we have to change all of that when Jordan dies, then when LeBron dies.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 01:18:18 PM »
I kinda like the "Kobe Clock" idea though....

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2020, 01:28:12 PM »
this is a typical knee jerk response in our social media culture when someone dies - do everything to honor them even if it's extreme.

First we change the logo (and like Cheeks said, what happens when Jordan dies). Then we retire 24 across the league. Hell, in high school and college too. No more 24. Then "24" on every court.  The 24 second shot clock becomes "the Kobe Clock" and the 8 second violation becomes "the Kobe violation." Oh, and since he was an 18-time all-star, let's rename it the "Kobe Star Game." Oh, and we need to detonate that resort in Colorado too.

Of course, we have to change all of that when Jordan dies, then when LeBron dies.

I didn't say the award should be named for Kobe. I did say that it should be named for Kareem.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 01:30:45 PM »
I didn't say the award should be named for Kobe. I did say that it should be named for Kareem.

I was no responding to you, I do agree with your Kareem idea (or maybe calling it the Kareem trophy). Just commenting on the general "name everything after Kobe" push that will probably go away in a week.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2020, 07:12:58 PM »

A Kobe violation might misconstrued...

I can't remember who said it on Twitter, but I think it would be great if at the All Star game, the East wore 24 jerseys and the West wore 8 jerseys

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 08:23:52 PM »

I can't remember who said it on Twitter, but I think it would be great if at the All Star game, the East wore 24 jerseys and the West wore 8 jerseys

A one-time honor like that would be nice.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 08:41:48 PM »
Poor Jerry West looked absolutely broken today on TNT.

It’s been a rough watch all around.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 09:32:16 PM »
And the NBA will never change its logo to honor Kobe considering the rape allegations.

gasp!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 09:58:28 PM »
I guess I don't understand why anything permanent ought to be done just because the guy died. Tragedy? Absolutely. Reason to rename trophies or re-do logos? Not to me.

Ding ding ding.

After Munson died, there were calls to put him in the HoF immediately even though he obviously was not a Hall-caliber ballplayer.

Because this is why you have waiting periods for the hall of fame, etc.  Because people get too hung up on emotion and short-term thinking.

Yep.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2020, 09:50:11 AM »
I am always amazed at how over the top are the statements about celebrities when they die, especially under tragic circumstances.

Kobe Bryant was a basketball player. And he was hardly a saint.

Let his family grieve but his passing is not in any way a tragic loss for mankind.

A good friend of mine is a geneticist at Fred Hutch, part of a team that has won several Nobel Prizes. That man's work is epic. And I rather doubt he has the checkered personal life of Mr Bryant.

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/about/about-the-hutch/honors-awards.html

As a society, we vest far too much value in the contribution of celebrity. And celebrity has an annoying habit of over reach, expounding on complex issues in which they have absolutely zero authority and yet speak with such assurance.

Kobe Bryant played basketball. The tradesmen who don hard hat and build skyscrapers in downtown Seattle have far greater nobility, quite frankly. 

Death on call

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2020, 09:52:19 AM »
While I agree that it's been too over the top with Kobe, there is no reason to say someone else's death should mean more.  That's not really helpful either.

feedback