'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire this coach?  (Read 26960 times)

LloydsLegs

• All American
Re: Fire this coach?
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2020, 02:02:08 PM »
Since 1936, Villanova MBB has had 5 head coaches. 

In the 100 year history of its program, Villanova has had 8 head coaches.

Carry on.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2020, 02:12:13 PM »
Wojo is Crean without the final 4.    Crean took over a program that had a bad year and a terrible recruiting class coming in.    Wojo took over a program after a bad year with a terrible recruiting class coming in.    Crean got a partial qualifier who turned out to be one of the top players of all time and parlayed it into a final 4.   Kudos and huzzahs and yes, I cried when we made the final four.    Crean could not capitalize on the final 4, failing to string together consecutive decent classes.    He won one tourney game in 9 years without Wade on his team.    IU called and he jumped. 
    Listen to Buzz's press conference.   He respects Crean.    Buzz had no recruiting contacts in the midwest when he arrived.   He knew the JUCO's and that was the bedrock of his success.     The rules changed, and being Buzz, he analyzed everything to the NTH degree and left.    Like Al, he saw the changes coming and did not know if he could still be successful at MU.   
   Wojo came in with a powerpoint and promised no cheating and laid out a vision for long term success.    It has taken longer than most wanted and he needs to win some tourney games.    But he has won just fine in years 2-6.    He has a great class coming in.   He is still a young head coach and continuing to learn.
That Ky. win to land in the Final 4 was a great win, one of the best in MU history. It had me near tears also.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2020, 03:00:48 PM »

When Crean took over, the program was just three years removed from winning the CUSA tournament (which meant something back then), and getting upset in the first round of the NCAAs (7/10 game v. Providence).

It was two years removed from an NIT appearance where we lost at Minnesota by two in the game deciding who went to NYC.  Deane's last season was a disasterous crap show.

But the program was fine.  It was especially fine when you consider where it was a decade earlier when we truly were on the edge of becoming Loyola.

Recruiting in the last few years of Deane was a nightmare
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2020, 03:02:40 PM »
Yes, I wanted him fired...But this recruiting class has pulled me back in..for now.

Didn’t you say you never wanted us to lose, but you wanted him fired.  Usually those don’t go well together.  What am I missing?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 03:06:04 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2020, 03:04:18 PM »
Recruiting in the last few years of Deane was a nightmare

Right.  I know.  I'm not saying things were great, but the overall program was fine.  Nothing that a new coach couldn't come in and fix.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2020, 03:19:05 PM »
Your reasonable posts have made me soften my feelings toward Wojo.
I actually agree with this!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2020, 03:23:40 PM »
I actually agree with this!

I am sure it has nothing to do with you looking like a fool months and weeks ago with your predictions....same for Sultan.   Now you see some light?  LOL

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2020, 03:31:53 PM »
I am sure it has nothing to do with you looking like a fool months and weeks ago with your predictions....same for Sultan.   Now you see some light?  LOL
Thought you blocked me?

Maybe your imaginary good friend WJ shared my post!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2020, 03:45:40 PM »
Since 1936, Villanova MBB has had 5 head coaches. 

In the 100 year history of its program, Villanova has had 8 head coaches.

Carry on.

Stability matters.   Some people just do not get it here.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2020, 03:50:42 PM »
Thought you blocked me?

Lol
The guy is batcrap!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2020, 04:19:45 PM »

Stability matters.   Some people just do not get it here.

Stability however does not guarantee a damn thing. Stability isn't some magic potion that guarantees success, the longer you stay somewhere. Look hw many Coaches in sports history have stayed somewhere for a long time, and never tasted much success.

Just one example...what has Clemson gotten from Brad Brownell being in his 10th year?? 2 NCAA appearances(one Sweet 16) and 3 NIT bids. Yeah, I'm thinking stability doesn't matter much in that instance.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2020, 04:36:19 PM »
Stability however does not guarantee a damn thing. Stability isn't some magic potion that guarantees success, the longer you stay somewhere. Look hw many Coaches in sports history have stayed somewhere for a long time, and never tasted much success.

Just one example...what has Clemson gotten from Brad Brownell being in his 10th year?? 2 NCAA appearances(one Sweet 16) and 3 NIT bids. Yeah, I'm thinking stability doesn't matter much in that instance.

Did someone say it guaranteed something?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2020, 04:41:43 PM »

Stability matters.
Hoopaloop talking about stability.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2020, 07:40:07 PM »

When Crean took over, the program was just three years removed from winning the CUSA tournament (which meant something back then), and getting upset in the first round of the NCAAs (7/10 game v. Providence).

It was two years removed from an NIT appearance where we lost at Minnesota by two in the game deciding who went to NYC.  Deane's last season was a disasterous crap show.

But the program was fine.  It was especially fine when you consider where it was a decade earlier when we truly were on the edge of becoming Loyola.

False. Conference USA was formed in 1995 and was panned as a conference too big and two spread out to be good. In 1997, two years into the new league, 4 teams made the tournament and MU only made it because we had a good run in the CUSA tournament. Had they not won only three teams would have made it. No one cared.

In 1996, MU lost in the conference finals but was an at large.  Deane had an at large selection and conf championship followed NCAA only because we won the championship to no selection. Record was 10-4, 9-5, 8-8, and 6-10.

Conference USA didn’t really become relevant until they signed an eight year deal with ESPN in 2000.  Calipari joined in 2000 and Pitino joined in 2001 and CUSA had a great group of coaches in Crean, Huggy, Pitino, and Calipari.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:55:01 PM by BallBoy »

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2020, 07:45:49 PM »
False. Conference USA was formed in 1995 and was panned as a conference too big and two spread out to be good. In 1997, two years into the new league, 4 teams made the tournament and MU only made it because we had a good run in the CUSA tournament. Had they not won only three teams would have made it. No one cared.

In 1996, MU lost in the conference finals but was an at large.  Deane had an at large selection and conf championship followed NCAA only because we won the championship to no selection. Record was 10-4, 9-5, 8-8, and 6-10.

Conference USA didn’t really become relevant until they signed an eight year deal with ESPN in 2000.  Calipari joined in 2000 and Pitino joined in 2001 and CUSA had a great group of coaches in Crean, Huggy, Pitino, and Calipari.

Sorry...but what is false?  I simply meant it was better then than it is now. Didn’t say it was at its peak.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2020, 07:59:26 PM »
Sorry...but what is false?  I simply meant it was better then than it is now. Didn’t say it was at its peak.

That in 1997 it meant something. KenPom doesn’t go back to 1997 but even in its peak years it only hit the 7th best conference.

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2020, 08:09:33 PM »
That in 1997 it meant something. KenPom doesn’t go back to 1997 but even in its peak years it only hit the 7th best conference.

Ok. So it meant something more than now. Thanks for the confirmation.

DarkWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2020, 08:38:44 PM »
No way you fire WOJO!

Good, decent, hard working man.
Superb resume.
Not cheating.
Good if not great recruiter.
Arguably one of the 30 best coaches in the country today based upon team performance.
Clearly still learning - he does make game time mistakes but he is improving.
Extremely well connected!
I would trust this man with my son.

Try to find his equal replacement considering ALL of his qualities. Now add what you lose when a coach leaves. We should stand solidly behind this coach until he does something that proves that position wrong.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2020, 08:49:17 AM »
Thought you blocked me?

Nope, blocked some others but not you...reading about cancer and stuff from you is the highlight of my day.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2020, 12:16:24 PM »
This.

When was the last time a major program fired a coach who has performed as good as or better than Wojo?

I am not asking rhetorically; if anyone knows, I would like to hear it.
I would say UCLA.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2020, 01:15:50 PM »
if Wojo has high critical thinking abilities, his learning will happen quickly.

If he is low on the critical thinking scale, he will slowly learn from his mistakes and evolve as a good coach. 

I wonder if assessments are part of the selection process for our HC.  They should be.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2020, 03:41:48 PM »
if Wojo has high critical thinking abilities, his learning will happen quickly.

If he is low on the critical thinking scale, he will slowly learn from his mistakes and evolve as a good coach. 

I wonder if assessments are part of the selection process for our HC.  They should be.

I guess his critical thinking must have been pretty high on the scale when the team was 23-4 last year.

Then I guess it must have been pretty low on the scale when the team went 1-6 at the end of the season.

Or maybe it had nothing to do with his critical thinking and more to do with the health and fitness of his top players.

When Sam and Markus were relatively healthy, and Joey was fairly fresh, the team was 23-4

When Sam and Markus were clearly affected by injury and Joey was clearly worn down, the team went 1-6.

Occam's razor anyone??
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:50:12 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2020, 03:58:28 PM »
I guess his critical thinking must have been pretty high on the scale when the team was 23-4 last year.

Then I guess it must have been pretty low on the scale when the team went 1-6 at the end of the season.

Or maybe it had nothing to do with his critical thinking and more to do with the health and fitness of his top players.

When Sam and Markus were relatively healthy, and Joey was fairly fresh, the team was 23-4

When Sam and Markus were clearly affected by injury and Joey was clearly worn down, the team went 1-6.

Occam's razor anyone??

OK

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2020, 04:02:50 PM »
OK

I put it more on Markus being hurt and the white stiffs having mailed it in.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2020, 04:04:31 PM »
Unnecessary.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback