[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire this coach?  (Read 26939 times)

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
Re: Fire this coach?
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2020, 04:09:15 PM »
Unnecessary.

Totally.....

Sam was a freakin warrior for Marquette and Joey was just an immature freshman.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2020, 04:35:24 PM »
Totally.....

Sam was a freakin warrior for Marquette and Joey was just an immature freshman.

Sam sucked defensively, who does he guard over the last 6 games without being a complete turnstile??
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2020, 05:14:30 PM »
Sam sucked defensively, who does he guard over the last 6 games without being a complete turnstile??

Sam was a good defender, individually and from a team perspective. Also rebounded well for his position.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2020, 05:17:48 PM »
Ners is correct, Sam was a very sound defender. Struggled against ultra quick wings but always knew where to be and never lost his man.

Joey was not a good defender but was a freshman. Freshman often struggle on defense and improve as they age.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2020, 05:19:29 PM »

The guy was battling on a hip that required surgery after the season was over.

And people wonder why.....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2020, 05:29:57 PM »
I would say UCLA.

I mentioned Lavin earlier in this thread. I don't think their situations were very similar, and UCLA still very much thought of itself as a blueblood.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2020, 06:38:10 PM »
This is hogwash. Sam did not suck defensively. There were several games last year where Sam had the assignment of the other teams offensive leader.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2020, 06:39:53 PM »
WhoaJoe

You are so right about Sam. Thanks for posting.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2020, 07:37:51 PM »
WhoaJoe

It won't work.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2020, 09:56:31 PM »
WhoaJoe

Totally agree that WhoaJoe is doing great work here.

Hard to believe Scoop even existed before he showed up out of nowhere.

It's 10:55 eastern time, meaning he still has an hour and 5 minutes to post 841 more times today to tie the record he set yesterday. Fingers crossed that he can do it!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2020, 04:42:05 AM »

I think it is important to acknowledge people that excel in their work and WhoaJoe is an example for all of us. He is a 24/7 Scooper, informed  on virtually every topic, witty, funny, edgy and he is not Chico’s. Actually, I feel badly for Jams because he created a monster and this is going to be tough to top down the road.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2020, 05:51:45 AM »
Goose

He is the Markus Howard of Scoop.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2020, 05:56:30 AM »
real 83

Aside from volume shooter, I think WhoaJoe is a more pure shooter than Markus. What did we do before his arrival?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2020, 05:58:46 AM »
Stop that Goose.

The thought of that is too scary for me.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2020, 07:06:45 AM »
Let's ask this a different way, because I think this is what is at the crux of this discussion for a vast majority. Hypothetically, if we were guaranteed this recruiting class would stay, and all the current players would stay, would you then be okay going with someone else??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2020, 07:30:43 AM »
Let's ask this a different way, because I think this is what is at the crux of this discussion for a vast majority. Hypothetically, if we were guaranteed this recruiting class would stay, and all the current players would stay, would you then be okay going with someone else??
Well, if unicorns and Nessie had a love child that coached like a hybrid of Izzo, K, Boeheim, Wooden, and Al, then I would think about it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2020, 07:48:38 AM »

Marquette isn't in a position to fire a coach coming off a tournament appearance without extenuating off the court circumstances. We're not at that level and never will be, and that's okay.

Even if Wojo hadn't gotten a good, and still possibly great, recruiting class, you'd still have to give him next year. It's not a good look for potential candidates down the line to fire him after getting what likely will be a single digit seed in the tournament.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2020, 08:34:00 AM »

I think it is important to acknowledge people that excel in their work and WhoaJoe is an example for all of us. He is a 24/7 Scooper, informed  on virtually every topic, witty, funny, edgy and he is not Chico’s. Actually, I feel badly for Jams because he created a monster and this is going to be tough to top down the road.

I think it is great.  The fact so many think he is me and heads explode only make me laugh more.  No need to top him, I salute him and tip my cap to him.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2020, 08:35:55 AM »

Guru, you still haven’t answered.....why are you expecting Crean / Buzz results when they did not have the recruiting or academic restrictions Wojo has? 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2020, 08:44:53 AM »

Hypothetically, even though I really, really love my wife, if Scarlett Johansson insisted upon sleeping with me, I'd have to seriously consider it. And here's the great guy I am: I'd invite my wife to join us!

Oh, and that's whether or not the recruiting class chooses to stay at Marquette.

Otherwise, what tower and Orange Soda say.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2020, 10:10:48 AM »
What’s truly is, with his son (allegedly) as an MU student, can we assume he’s active on the board? It’s a shame for a young man to see his father’s mental illness laid bare.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2020, 11:06:09 AM »
Outstanding article on the unmitigated disaster that is Wake Forest basketball, which not all that long ago was one of the top programs in the ACC:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article239954898.html?

Wojo is not mentioned in the article, but I am guessing a guy with his resume would be VERY well-received by the folks there.

I don't think I'd leave a great situation like Marquette for a dumpster fire like Wake Forest, but who knows if he would want to get back into the ACC, just might like a change, etc.

Wake seems borderline hopeless, but history is filled with competitive coaches believing that they can be the answer in such situations.

I know there are Scoopers who would be delighted if Wojo caps a good season with a couple of NCAA tourney wins and then bolts to a school like Wake (or any school).

I know I'd be curious to see what P6 coaches with recent histories of NCAA tournament successes would be lining up for our job.

All conjecture, I know, but I still find it interesting.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2020, 11:58:17 AM »

That is a cautionary tale.  Things can go drastically wrong searching for the “perfect” coach. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2020, 01:09:50 PM »

That is a cautionary tale.  Things can go drastically wrong searching for the “perfect” coach.

Yessir, SM.

The only way we'll find the perfect coach is if we hire the guy at Belmont Abbey -- and even then, only if he goes 13-39 his last two seasons there.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2020, 01:19:47 PM »

The cautionary tale wasn't hiring Danny Manning.  Wake's problem was that they fired Dino Gaudio after he lead them to two NCAA in the three seasons following Prosser's death.  They inexplicably hired Jeff Bzdelik, who had been terrible at Colorado, and he promptly lead them to a 8-24 record in his first year.

https://gazette.com/sports/ramsey-jeff-bzdelik-should-never-have-been-a-college-coach/article_fc589ff9-39f0-5b75-ad09-c49bf26929fd.html
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow