'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Trap Game  (Read 23290 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Trap Game
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2020, 02:03:50 PM »
Because 90% of this board has turned into a Projo vs. Nojo debate, it's easy to see why these preemptive kinds posts are seem as an attempt to get out in front of potential criticism. It's bizarre to me to see the level of planned confirmation bias on Scoop this season.

And for the love of all things holy, can we please stop comparing Wojo to proven HOF coaches? Coach K has very obviously earned himself a little slack over the years. We know that an upset at Cameron is a fluke based on a very large body of work. Wojo's (or any younger, newer coach) body of work isn't anywhere near as large or as accomplished and needs to earn some more goodwill before upsets can be seen as just a fluke. Skepticism of the quality/sustainability of those with shorter track records is a common thing in all walks of life but sports especially.

OK ... drop the K and Cal references. The Great Chris Beard - not quite in the HoF yet, but properly canonized - lost to DePaul this season (though in Chicago).

The point is simply that us wanting a win, and thinking we should win, doesn't mean a heck of a lot. Stuff happens, and folks here losing their shyte due to one loss even predates Wojo. I remember the Green Bay game, the Vanderbilt slaughter, etc, etc.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2020, 02:15:42 PM »
Now when you say "Vanderbilt slaughter", I can only assume that you're referencing the first game of the 2016-17 where we won by 24 points, because I have no memory of ever playing Vanderbilt other than that game.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2020, 02:23:33 PM »
Now when you say "Vanderbilt slaughter", I can only assume that you're referencing the first game of the 2016-17 where we won by 24 points, because I have no memory of ever playing Vanderbilt other than that game.
we got absolutely destroyed by them when Buzz was here. too lazy to look it up but it was ugly.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2020, 02:25:02 PM »
we got absolutely destroyed by them when Buzz was here. too lazy to look it up but it was ugly.

Didn't think teal was necessary, I had blocked that game out of my mind.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2020, 02:27:36 PM »

Dec. 29, 2011 ... Bradley Center ... Vanderbilt 74, Marquette 57 ... and it wasn't that close.

I remember it well because I lost a bet to a Vandy friend of mine. We promptly lost 2 of our first 3 BEast games, and the world was ending.

The following season, we lost to Florida by approximately 8,443 points. A few weeks later came the 49-47 loss to Green Bay and our program was doomed, Lockett was the worst, Junior sucked, Vander would never be any good, Jamil was a waste, etc, etc, etc.

Unimpressive home wins vs LSU and NC Central followed, and we were gonna have a terrible BEast season. Then Junior hit one of the 5 biggest shots of the Buzz Era to send us into OT vs UConn; we won that game and were on our way to the BEast title.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2020, 02:27:59 PM »

I'm guessing DJOver was being sarcastic, but that was a terrible game. We lost a one-possession game at Vandy the year before and I remember really looking forward to getting revenge for it. Then we got absolutely destroyed at home. That was one of the most lackluster home performances I ever remember. Up there with the Ohio State, Purdue, and Iowa games.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2020, 02:30:18 PM »
Didn't think teal was necessary, I had blocked that game out of my mind.
I missed the sarcasm...apologies for bringing it up.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2020, 02:33:16 PM »
Dec. 29, 2011 ... Bradley Center ... Vanderbilt 74, Marquette 57 ... and it wasn't that close.

I remember it well because I lost a bet to a Vandy friend of mine. We promptly lost 2 of our first 3 BEast games, and the world was ending.

The following season, we lost to Florida by approximately 8,443 points. A few weeks later came the 49-47 loss to Green Bay and our program was doomed, Lockett was the worst, Junior sucked, Vander would never be any good, Jamil was a waste, etc, etc, etc.

Unimpressive home wins vs LSU and NC Central followed, and we were gonna have a terrible BEast season. Then Junior hit one of the 5 biggest shots of the Buzz Era to send us into OT vs UConn; we won that game and were on our way to the BEast title.

Or we could just remember the game where Markus and Rowsey combined for 0 points on 0-5 shooting, we only attempted 5 fts compared to Vandy's 26 (not that they mattered), and we still won by 24 and almost put up a century mark.  Matt with an impressive 4 fouls in 3 minutes of action too.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2020, 03:34:01 PM »
Let's get this straight

If marquette loses to DePaul on Saturday it will be their worst lose of the season, regardless of excuses.

Not sure. Definitely in bottom three of possible losses. Providence may be worse especially if Markus is out vs DePaul. Georgetown at home would be pretty bad too.

Let's just win so we don't have to debate it!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2020, 03:35:30 PM »
Not sure. Definitely in bottom three of possible losses. Providence may be worse especially if Markus is out vs DePaul. Georgetown at home would be pretty bad too.

Let's just win so we don't have to debate it!

Exactly.

It definitely would be a bad loss. Thank goodness, we're gonna win.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2020, 03:38:52 PM »
Miami of Ohio. Now that was a game we should have won.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2020, 04:01:49 PM »
OK ... drop the K and Cal references. The Great Chris Beard - not quite in the HoF yet, but properly canonized - lost to DePaul this season (though in Chicago).

The point is simply that us wanting a win, and thinking we should win, doesn't mean a heck of a lot. Stuff happens, and folks here losing their shyte due to one loss even predates Wojo. I remember the Green Bay game, the Vanderbilt slaughter, etc, etc.

I agree with the premise completely. No single game defines how good or bad a coach is; any reasonable person knows that. I do think it's perfectly fine for one game to be noted as a prime example of why a coach is viewed as good or bad, though.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2020, 04:04:24 PM »
I agree with the premise completely. No single game defines how good or bad a coach is; any reasonable person knows that. I do think it's perfectly fine for one game to be noted as a prime example of why a coach is viewed as good or bad, though.

Duly noted. Have a good one. Go Marquette!

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2020, 04:14:55 PM »
An obvious prowojo’er trying to lower expectations to preemptively defend what would a horrible, inexcusable loss is obvious. It’s also ineffective.
No Finish Line

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2020, 04:19:28 PM »
An obvious prowojo’er trying to lower expectations to preemptively defend what would a horrible, inexcusable loss is obvious. It’s also ineffective.

There are no bad losses for a Pro Wojo fanatic.  There's only the hope that "The Team and Wojo will learn from its mistakes"

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2020, 04:33:57 PM »
A 15-6, 5-4 Marquette team fresh off a dramatic 2OT win @ X, and missing its star player, playing at home against a 13-8, 1-7 DePaul team fresh off a close loss @ SH.

Turn Right At Providence, no worries.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:35:41 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2020, 04:50:05 PM »

I'll bet you're wearing a bib and a drool bucket, the way you seem to be salivating over what you know to be a very possible loss for Marquette under the circumstances.

Don't cut yourself sharpening your knives. Your drooling could make them very slippery.

You should feel good though, MDDG is wearing his bib and drool bucket in a show of solidarity.

So there's that.......

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2020, 04:55:09 PM »
UNC is 4-7 without Cole Anthony, who is supposed to return for the next game.

Valid reason for at least some of those losses? Or has Roy become the second-worst coach in college basketball?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2020, 05:03:26 PM »
I'll bet you're wearing a bib and a drool bucket, the way you seem to be salivating over what you know to be a very possible loss for Marquette under the circumstances.

Don't cut yourself sharpening your knives. Your drooling could make them very slippery.

You should feel good though, MDDG is wearing his bib and drool bucket in a show of solidarity.

So there's that.......
My presentation was spot on and you couldn’t resist. Hooked, caught and released. You're not picture worthy, though.

So there’s (not) that...
No Finish Line

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2020, 05:10:24 PM »
My presentation was spot on and you couldn’t resist. Hooked, caught and released. You're not picture worthy, though.

So there’s (not) that...

You would be more believable if my description of you wasn't spot on.

The historical record shows who
And what you are.

Good to read your post about your concern for Markus though.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2020, 05:59:35 PM »
UNC is 4-7 without Cole Anthony, who is supposed to return for the next game.

Valid reason for at least some of those losses? Or has Roy become the second-worst coach in college basketball?

Lost 3/4 before he went out, I just don't think they're very good with or without him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2020, 06:34:26 PM »
This thread...

muguru

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2020, 07:00:29 PM »
Let's get this straight

If marquette loses to DePaul on Saturday it will be their worst lose of the season, regardless of excuses.

Unequivocally, yes...NO EXCUSES for losing this game...with or without Markus. They are at home, they are better(even without Markus), and if they lose this game, there are FAR bigger problems with this team then anyone imagined. As someone above said, they already lost to a crap team(Providence) at home. That can't happen again.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2020, 07:10:06 PM »
A 15-6, 5-4 Marquette team fresh off a dramatic 2OT win @ X, and missing its star player, playing at home against a 13-8, 1-7 DePaul team fresh off a close loss @ SH.

Turn Right At Providence, no worries.

FYI, MU is a 7.5 point favorite tomm, and that is with Markus listed as questionable. Nuff said.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2020, 07:28:42 PM »
Unequivocally, yes...NO EXCUSES for losing this game...with or without Markus. They are at home, they are better(even without Markus), and if they lose this game, there are FAR bigger problems with this team then anyone imagined. As someone above said, they already lost to a crap team(Providence) at home. That can't happen again.

What do you think of coaches who lose to DePaul?

feedback