[Today at 04:56:29 PM]

What do Wisconsinites call people from Illinois? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 04:55:03 PM]

Media Rights Update by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:30:30 PM]

Hurley staying! by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 04:20:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Trap Game  (Read 23421 times)

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
Re: Trap Game
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2020, 07:32:42 PM »
FYI, MU is a 7.5 point favorite tomm, and that is with Markus listed as questionable. Nuff said.

They must think questionable means he's playing.

I hope they're right and it's nothing serious.

By the way........

You do realize that the -7.5 line is just another reason why it could be considered a trap game right?????
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 08:03:04 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2020, 09:06:34 PM »
That can't happen again.

OR ELSE!!!!!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2020, 09:12:55 PM »
FYI, MU is a 7.5 point favorite tomm, and that is with Markus listed as questionable. Nuff said.

That line will drop quite a bit if he's out

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2020, 11:01:11 PM »

Can we talk about how you've said you don't care what Vegas or Kenpom says whenever it's leaning against MU but if it's pro MU you site it as a source and rational to get all amped about why we should win?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2020, 11:24:08 PM »
What do you think of coaches who lose to DePaul?

He thinks Chris Beard should be fired, shot, hanged, and shot again.

Duh.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2020, 11:49:24 PM »
He thinks Chris Beard should be fired, shot, hanged, and shot again.

Duh.

I never said anything like this, I have not mentioned Chris Beard one damn time. I know as a journalist this is an incredibly difficult thing for you to do(it's ingrained in your profession) STOP YOUR DAMN LYING.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2020, 11:52:52 PM »
What do you think of coaches who lose to DePaul?

Listen, non conference is a whole different animal..when DePaul was winning games in non con, TONS of people on twitter were falling all over them, and raving about them, wanting them ranked, claiming they were back etc. I tweeted at each one of them and said to NOT be fooled by them and that once they got to BE play, where opponents know them, it will be a different story and that they will prove to be the same old Depaul...well?? A leopard doesn't change their spots.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2020, 12:01:33 AM »
Can we talk about how you've said you don't care what Vegas or Kenpom says whenever it's leaning against MU but if it's pro MU you site it as a source and rational to get all amped about why we should win?

I simply pointed it out as another reference to him as to why he's talking foolish about MU possibly losing this game etc. I'm trying to make him see reality in regards to this game.

Anyone that doesn't EXPECT MU to win this game at home against the worst team in the BE has some awfully damn low impressions of this team, and they should be ashamed of themselves, especially after they just beat Xavier on the road without Markus for a vast majority of it. That being said, do I think they are some juggernaut?? 100% no, but they are definitely good enough with or without Markus at home to beat a 1-7 DePaul team, that hasn't won on the road in the BE yet and have lost to SJU twice this year...just think about that.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2020, 12:35:37 AM »
It's not having "low expections" by acknowledging DePaul has a very capable team this year.  Your anti-DePaul and anti-Wisconsin paranoia gets the best of you.

If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2020, 12:45:25 AM »

I think it's because some people believe if they bloviate with enough bluster other people will forget all the selective, and hypocritical BS they have spouted in the past.

Kind of like a belligerent drunk trying to do the Jedi mind trick.

It's actually really funny to watch.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 01:05:02 AM by WhoaJoe2020 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2020, 03:39:44 AM »
I never said anything like this, I have not mentioned Chris Beard one damn time. I know as a journalist this is an incredibly difficult thing for you to do(it's ingrained in your profession) STOP YOUR DAMN LYING.

You have not mentioned Chris Beard one damn time?

When Wojo can take a kid ranked as low as a Jarrett Culver was, and show he can develop him the way Beard did, let me know.

You're right, but the difference is...he would have shut me up quickly, if he had the same success right away at MU as he has had at Texas Tech. That's the difference between him and Wojo. If Wojo has had the same results, he would have shut me up to. Call Beard's tenure at TT fluky or once in a lifetime, or whatever, you want to call it, it still happened, and that's what I always ask myself, "why can't stuff like that ever happen to MU basketball"??

Well, you cite all of this how the Anti Wojo people need to relax or whatever. Well I would point you to Chris Beard at Texas Tech..look at his trajectory in three years..it's absolutely perfect, and now I ask you, why the hell can't/couldn't that be done at MU?? That's what I was hoping for.

Want no part of Bennett and that slow down offense...no thanks. I'd take Chris Beard in a heartbeat though. But that wouldn't happen.

I wanted to post this to show everyone what I wanted/hoped for under Wojo...Everyone always says "it takes time". Well, this proves it doesn't. Granted it's not at the "elite" level, like I pine for, but if Chris Beard could do this in three years, why could Wojo not?? You talk about a positive trend! If MU had this the last 3 years under Wojo, I'd be completely satisfied, and sing his praises constantly.

Texas Tech Red Raiders (Big 12 Conference) (2016–present) 
2016–17  Texas Tech  18–14 6–12 T–7th 
2017–18  Texas Tech  27–10 11–7 T–2nd NCAA Division I Elite Eight 
2018–19  Texas Tech  29–6 14–4 T–1st NCAA Division I Elite Eight 

I more wanted to say "it can be done" in the time frame I wanted to see...again, not "elite" level, but damn if this isn't impressive as hell in 3 years. Again, I will ask, why would this be unrealistic to have asked for from Wojo??

There might be more, that's just what came up in the search bar. But MU82 doesn't seem like the damn liar here
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 03:42:41 AM by TAMU Garcia »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2020, 07:15:13 AM »
You have not mentioned Chris Beard one damn time?

There might be more, that's just what came up in the search bar. But MU82 doesn't seem like the damn liar here

I meant in this thread(thought that was pretty obvious that's what I meant but I guess not), and he is a liar because I NEVER said he should be fired for losing to DePaul. EVER...That's a flat out lie. Period. Something he seems to be very good at.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2020, 08:12:29 AM »
I meant in this thread(thought that was pretty obvious that's what I meant but I guess not), and he is a liar because I NEVER said he should be fired for losing to DePaul. EVER...That's a flat out lie. Period. Something he seems to be very good at.

Sigh.

I know you didn't mention Chris Beard in this thread.

I know that if we lose to DePaul, you will pillory Wojo. It will be his fault.

Texas Tech lost to DePaul. Past posts made by you indicate that you practically worship Beard. I'm wondering why their loss to DePaul wasn't Beard's fault.

Sarcasm is a difficult concept for some.

My expectation is that we will win the game. I also acknowledge that, as TedBaxter said, DePaul is capable of beating anybody. They beat a coach you idolize, they won road games against two Big Ten teams and an ACC team, they almost won at Nova, they handily beat Butler, they led at Seton Hall with 6 minutes left.

So I expect us to win, but it would not be the upset of the century if we don't win, especially if Markus doesn't play.

All of the above are not "excuses." They are called "facts," a difficult concept to many these days.

There. I spelled it out for you. Better?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2020, 08:34:24 AM »
Sigh.

I know you didn't mention Chris Beard in this thread.

I know that if we lose to DePaul, you will pillory Wojo. It will be his fault.

Texas Tech lost to DePaul. Past posts made by you indicate that you practically worship Beard. I'm wondering why their loss to DePaul wasn't Beard's fault.

Sarcasm is a difficult concept for some.

My expectation is that we will win the game. I also acknowledge that, as TedBaxter said, DePaul is capable of beating anybody. They beat a coach you idolize, they won road games against two Big Ten teams and an ACC team, they almost won at Nova, they handily beat Butler, they led at Seton Hall with 6 minutes left.

So I expect us to win, but it would not be the upset of the century if we don't win, especially if Markus doesn't play.

All of the above are not "excuses." They are called "facts," a difficult concept to many these days.

There. I spelled it out for you. Better?

Could they lose?? Sure. Could one of us get hit by a car crossing the street?? Sure. But I worry about them losing to DePaul about as much as I worry about getting hit by a car crossing the street. I don't expect it to happen.

The angst/worry some people have here about losing games that should essentially be a lay up is baffling. Is Depaul really capable of beating anyone?? Early in the year...I think they played/beat some teams at the right time. But in the non conference, sure I will give you that. Have they showed in Big East they are capable of beating anyone?? They are 1-7, they have lost to SJU TWICE. Have they played Nova, SH, PC tough did they beat Butler(at home)?? Sure. But you know what?? At least in Big East play I think it would be more appropriate to say they are capable of making any game close. Because in the end, with the exception of butler, they still lost all of those games.

Now, if people wanted to worry about POSSIBLY losing at home next Sunday to Butler...that's more reasonable. There's a much better chance that could happen.

To me, there's better odds of getting struck by lightning today(when it's winter), then there is of this team losing to DePaul...with or without Markus.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 08:58:21 AM by muguru »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2020, 08:38:24 AM »
Great, now I am stuck with the image of you simultaneously suffering a lighting strike while being run over crossing the street.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2020, 08:40:27 AM »
Listen, non conference is a whole different animal..when DePaul was winning games in non con, TONS of people on twitter were falling all over them, and raving about them, wanting them ranked, claiming they were back etc. I tweeted at each one of them and said to NOT be fooled by them and that once they got to BE play, where opponents know them, it will be a different story and that they will prove to be the same old Depaul...well?? A leopard doesn't change their spots.
What the hell does any of this have to do about the question you were attempting to answer?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2020, 08:48:15 AM »
What the hell does any of this have to do about the question you were attempting to answer?

Nothing.
He's trying (poorly) to justify his contradictory takes that a) only a terrible coach would lose to DePaul and b) Chris Beard is Coaching Jesus.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2020, 09:04:37 AM »
Nothing.
He's trying (poorly) to justify his contradictory takes that a) only a terrible coach would lose to DePaul and b) Chris Beard is Coaching Jesus.

No, Chris Beard should not have been fired for losing to DePaul...Never implied or said that. Should Wojo be fired for losing to DePaul(I think that's what you are trying to imply I would say)?? No, but it HAS to be considered in the grand scheme of things(along with a myriad of other things) if/when at such point they decided to fire him whenever that may be.

Is losing to DePaul at home NOT a good look?? That's a resounding YES. If anyone wants to deny that/say it isn't or it's irrelevant then they are just flat out tools. Losing to DePaul and Providence at home in the same season?? As damning of an indictment as there could possibly be in terms of "w's and L's". 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2020, 09:24:35 AM »
Could they lose?? Sure. Could one of us get hit by a car crossing the street?? Sure. But I worry about them losing to DePaul about as much as I worry about getting hit by a car crossing the street. I don't expect it to happen.

The angst/worry some people have here about losing games that should essentially be a lay up is baffling. Is Depaul really capable of beating anyone?? Early in the year...I think they played/beat some teams at the right time. But in the non conference, sure I will give you that. Have they showed in Big East they are capable of beating anyone?? They are 1-7, they have lost to SJU TWICE. Have they played Nova, SH, PC tough did they beat Butler(at home)?? Sure. But you know what?? At least in Big East play I think it would be more appropriate to say they are capable of making any game close. Because in the end, with the exception of butler, they still lost all of those games.

Now, if people wanted to worry about POSSIBLY losing at home next Sunday to Butler...that's more reasonable. There's a much better chance that could happen.

To me, there's better odds of getting struck by lightning today(when it's winter), then there is of this team losing to DePaul...with or without Markus.

You're fun, guru. I'm glad we have you on Scoop.

Now, I could call you a LIAR because you know full well that it's much more likely for any BEast team to beat any other BEast team than it is for you to get hit by a car or struck by lightning. But I understand hyperbole and sarcasm as writing mechanisms, so I won't tell you to STOP YOUR DAMN LYING.

How did you feel about our nonconference losses the last couple of years? You were perfectly OK with them because they were nonconference? Wow ... such low expectations. You have to stop accepting mediocrity, my friend.

I can't speak for my fellow Scoopers, but I am not "worried" about us beating DePaul or Butler. I try not to worry about things completely out of my control. I expect us to win today while acknowledging that we could lose to a vastly improved DePaul team, especially if we have to go without Markus. That's all; nothing more, nothing less.

I am getting together with a buddy to watch today's game. I expect us to win, and I obviously hope we do. If we don't, I'll be bummed for a little bit. And then, win or lose, my wife and I will have a great night enjoying life with some friends.

Here's hoping you also take time to enjoy life above and beyond whatever happens with Marquette basketball. That's a sincere wish from me to you.

Here's to life! We Are Marquette!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2020, 09:36:42 AM »
You're fun, guru. I'm glad we have you on Scoop.

Now, I could call you a LIAR because you know full well that it's much more likely for any BEast team to beat any other BEast team than it is for you to get hit by a car or struck by lightning. But I understand hyperbole and sarcasm as writing mechanisms, so I won't tell you to STOP YOUR DAMN LYING.

How did you feel about our nonconference losses the last couple of years? You were perfectly OK with them because they were nonconference? Wow ... such low expectations. You have to stop accepting mediocrity, my friend.

I can't speak for my fellow Scoopers, but I am not "worried" about us beating DePaul or Butler. I try not to worry about things completely out of my control. I expect us to win today while acknowledging that we could lose to a vastly improved DePaul team, especially if we have to go without Markus. That's all; nothing more, nothing less.

I am getting together with a buddy to watch today's game. I expect us to win, and I obviously hope we do. If we don't, I'll be bummed for a little bit. And then, win or lose, my wife and I will have a great night enjoying life with some friends.

Here's hoping you also take time to enjoy life above and beyond whatever happens with Marquette basketball. That's a sincere wish from me to you.

Here's to life! We Are Marquette!

There's life beyond Marquette basketball?? I wouldn't know.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2020, 10:33:31 AM »
There is no excuse for Xavier to be up 30-11 on Seton Hall in New Jersey.   Trap games are a myth.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

muguru

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2020, 10:44:49 AM »
There is no excuse for Xavier to be up 30-11 on Seton Hall in New Jersey.   Trap games are a myth.

Could care less...it's a flawed comparison. What happens between X and Seton hall has ZERO bearing on MU. However, you are right, there is ZERO excuse for Hall to get blasted the way they are. Where this game is different though, is law of averages..Hall is/was due to lose a BE game, sooner or later. Let's put it this way, X winning at Hall is/was way less shocking to me then DePaul winning at MU would be.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2020, 10:48:24 AM »
Could care less...it's a flawed comparison. What happens between X and Seton hall has ZERO bearing on MU. However, you are right, there is ZERO excuse for Hall to get blasted the way they are. Where this game is different though, is law of averages..Hall is/was due to lose a BE game, sooner or later. Let's put it this way, X winning at Hall is/was way less shocking to me then DePaul winning at MU would be.
DePaul, and the possibility that they win, is immune to the law of averages.  Good to know. ::)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 11:07:35 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2020, 11:05:44 AM »

You're fun!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2020, 11:10:04 AM »
Asian carp.