Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Trap Game  (Read 23296 times)

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
Re: Trap Game
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2020, 07:52:11 PM »
If we dont beat Depaul, it is Wojo's fault.

Well that was never in doubt.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2020, 07:54:22 PM »
Are you the Pharaoh of scoop??

I watched DePaul match up against SH on the road every bit as good as Marquette did when the team was near full strength.

Marquette could win, end of story.

If MH is playing this is a game Marquette absolutely should win. To think otherwise is silly.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2020, 07:59:07 PM »
If MH is playing this is a game Marquette absolutely should win. To think otherwise is silly.

That's a mighty big if, and there is no telling how the injury will affect him.
A healthy Markus is a different animal than a beat up Markus.

Exhibit A:  The end of last season.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2020, 08:12:56 PM »
You are a legend in your own mind.  Thoroughly enjoy reading your content WhoaJoe.

Welcome to the big leagues Whoa.  Injuries are part of the game.  Losing Sam, Joey, and Ed?  Part of roster management failure.  While Greg Elliott fills a role, he is not a difference-maker.  Buzz coached a team with 7 scholarship players, two of whom were under 5'10",  to a 6 seed.  Yet here you are wanting to suggest it would be an upset for us to win on our home floor against DePaul?  C'Mon man.

Facepalm.

In regard to your first comment......
You do realize I was T rolling you, right??

In regard to your second comment......
You do realize I was responding to a poster who was freaking out a little about a potential loss to DePaul, like you do about every loss, right??

In regard to your third comment......
Your palm is now stuck to your face, right??

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2020, 08:21:39 PM »
WhoaJoe
It is a game they should win, end of story.
If should win, means favorite to win by the point spread, I agree.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2020, 08:28:35 PM »
This is either the easiest or second easiest game left on Marquette's schedule. If you are not sure if we should win this game, then you don't have a very high opinion of this team.

I think I would add the word "Caution"  Easiest or 2nd easiest might be indicating Disrespect for your opponent and to me that's the essence of a trap. 
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2020, 08:41:16 PM »
This is either the easiest or second easiest game left on Marquette's schedule. If you are not sure if we should win this game, then you don't have a very high opinion of this team.

On paper, we should win this game but guess what  sh!t happens. That’s why the game is played. Losing doesn’t always mean the coach sucks or the players suck it just means you caught the team on the wrong day.

I have never heard a coach or player ever leading into a game say “we should win this”. There are three variants for games:
1.  This is a big conference game, we need to go out and play our game because we need to beat this team to win the conference. We need to focus, play clean ball, make the extra pass and get the best shot. We can’t play their game.  If we play our game, we will win. The important part of it is focusing on the things that need to be done not the “we should win”
2.  People are disrespecting us. They think we should lose this game. Us against the world.
3.  This is a big game,  Rival is our biggest comp for the title. We need to beat them to be at the top.

Players don’t think about games as should wins. They think I need the dagger so this game is over before it starts.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:28:04 PM by BallBoy »

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2020, 08:43:20 PM »
I think I would add the word "Caution"  Easiest or 2nd easiest might be indicating Disrespect for your opponent and to me that's the essence of a trap.

The only reason I don't think it's a trap game, is because I'm sure Wojo and the players don't think they "should" win.

Nothing is given.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2020, 09:27:16 PM »
In regard to your first comment......
You do realize I was T rolling you, right??

In regard to your second comment......
You do realize I was responding to a poster who was freaking out a little about a potential loss to DePaul, like you do about every loss, right??

In regard to your third comment......
Your palm is now stuck to your face, right??

You?  Trolling?  Nah.  But, that's a nice way to try to rationalize your standard douchery.

Actually, I don't freak out about losses - feel free to go back through my posts and re-post me "freaking out about a loss."  Side note - You also won't find me being critical of our players.
 I'm sorry you feel our 40+ year old head coach making $2M isn't a fair target for occasional criticism. 

Last question:  Are you Mrs. Wojo? 

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2020, 09:35:44 PM »
You?  Trolling?  Nah.  But, that's a nice way to try to rationalize your standard douchery.

Actually, I don't freak out about losses - feel free to go back through my posts and re-post me "freaking out about a loss."  Side note - You also won't find me being critical of our players.
 I'm sorry you feel our 40+ year old head coach making $2M isn't a fair target for occasional criticism. 

Last question:  Are you Mrs. Wojo?

Your beginning to crack

Unstick your palm from your face and get grip on yourself.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2020, 09:43:02 PM »
+1 a Scoop requirement it seems. lower expectations so when a loss happens, they can fling excuses left and right. In this instance the #1 thing would be playing without Markus(if that happens). never mind, it's at home, never mind DePaul has 1 win in the Big East. Nevermind MU is a better basketball team. Just ignore all those things and make an excuse(or reason if some want to play it that way) for losing a home game to DuHPaul. They already lost to PC at home. Their losing to crap teams at home has already gone beyond the quota.

How did the great Chris Beard manage to lose to this terrible team?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2020, 09:57:22 AM »
Let's get this straight

If marquette loses to DePaul on Saturday it will be their worst lose of the season, regardless of excuses.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2020, 10:08:05 AM »
Let's get this straight

If marquette loses to DePaul on Saturday it will be their worst lose of the season, regardless of excuses.

Agree.  Sold out home game, Year 6, we have an experienced roster.  Solidly in NCAA at present, and can continue to elevate our seed.

Hopefully Markus is good to go, but if not, we need to find a way to win, just as we did at X.

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2020, 10:38:53 AM »
Members of the 1970 NIT championship team will be introduced during the first half of Saturday's game. "Goose" Brell and company will be taking a bow on the court to mark the 50th anniversary of their championship.

Go Warriors!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2020, 10:51:35 AM »
Members of the 1970 NIT championship team will be introduced during the first half of Saturday's game. "Goose" Brell and company will be taking a bow on the court to mark the 50th anniversary of their championship.

Go Warriors!

Will switchblades be checked at security?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2020, 10:54:08 AM »
I fully expect us to beat DePaul, and will be disappointed if we don't.

Having said that ...

Texas Tech fully expected to beat them, too. Fire Beard! Nova and Seton Hall fans probably expected to beat them easily.

Kentucky fully expected to beat Evansville at home in front of a sellout crowd. Duke fully expected to beat SF Austin at home in front of a sellout crowd. Fire Cal! Fire K!

Some Scoopers don't watch much college basketball, apparently, because they think only Marquette should be immune from an occasional loss to a lesser team.

To acknowledge that stuff happens - as disappointing as it might be - especially if the No. 1 scorer in the nation doesn't play, is not the same as making a "pre-excuse." It's just a fact.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2020, 11:04:22 AM »

Why do you have to add the mocking in many of your posts?  I think noting Shaka, Beard and others has been well noted by you. Come on, man. You are better than that!!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2020, 11:05:38 AM »

Go Warriors!
During the McGuire era the players before the start of the game would shake the opposing team's coaches hands. If I remember it correctly, Digger Phelps (Notre Dame's head coach) put a packet of mustard in Gary Brell's hand, because he considered him a hotdog.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2020, 11:23:58 AM »
Johnny Dee

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2020, 12:19:17 PM »
Johnny Dee is the correct answer. Digger did not begin coaching the Whining Irish until the 1971-72 season.

When I interviewed "Goose" for the Centennial Edition of "You Can Call Me Al: The Colorful Journey of College Basketball's Original Flower Child, Al McGuire," he told me that Notre Dame's Johnny Dee put the mustard packet in his hand because he thought that Brell turning his back to the flag during the National Anthem was a hot dog move.

Goose said he would continue to turn his back to the flag during the anthem until the U.S. left Vietnam. Reporters asked Al's response. Al admitted that while he and Goose did not see eye to eye on the war, Al stated that "It occurred to me that Gary could be right and I could be wrong." Gary's stance was not something that Al spent a lot of time worrying about.

Go Warriors!

P.S. It would be great if the NCAA let MU break out the "bumblebee" uniforms for tomorrow's game.

Go Warriors!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:51:34 PM by warriorjoe »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2020, 12:21:50 PM »
Let's get this straight

If Markus is out it will not be worse than the PC loss where we were at full strength.

I do agree we need to find a way to win without Markus.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2020, 12:40:03 PM »
I fully expect us to beat DePaul, and will be disappointed if we don't.

Having said that ...

Texas Tech fully expected to beat them, too. Fire Beard! Nova and Seton Hall fans probably expected to beat them easily.

Kentucky fully expected to beat Evansville at home in front of a sellout crowd. Duke fully expected to beat SF Austin at home in front of a sellout crowd. Fire Cal! Fire K!

Some Scoopers don't watch much college basketball, apparently, because they think only Marquette should be immune from an occasional loss to a lesser team.

To acknowledge that stuff happens - as disappointing as it might be - especially if the No. 1 scorer in the nation doesn't play, is not the same as making a "pre-excuse." It's just a fact.

We Are Marquette!

Because 90% of this board has turned into a Projo vs. Nojo debate, it's easy to see why these preemptive kinds posts are seem as an attempt to get out in front of potential criticism. It's bizarre to me to see the level of planned confirmation bias on Scoop this season.

And for the love of all things holy, can we please stop comparing Wojo to proven HOF coaches? Coach K has very obviously earned himself a little slack over the years. We know that an upset at Cameron is a fluke based on a very large body of work. Wojo's (or any younger, newer coach) body of work isn't anywhere near as large or as accomplished and needs to earn some more goodwill before upsets can be seen as just a fluke. Skepticism of the quality/sustainability of those with shorter track records is a common thing in all walks of life but sports especially.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2020, 12:47:32 PM »
Because 90% of this board has turned into a Projo vs. Nojo debate, it's easy to see why these preemptive kinds posts are seem as an attempt to get out in front of potential criticism. It's bizarre to me to see the level of planned confirmation bias on Scoop this season.

And for the love of all things holy, can we please stop comparing Wojo to proven HOF coaches? Coach K has very obviously earned himself a little slack over the years. We know that an upset at Cameron is a fluke based on a very large body of work. Wojo's (or any younger, newer coach) body of work isn't anywhere near as large or as accomplished and needs to earn some more goodwill before upsets can be seen as just a fluke. Skepticism of the quality/sustainability of those with shorter track records is a common thing in all walks of life but sports especially.

ROTFLMFAO

Do you really not see the irony in your post????

Either you're completely clueless about what you're doing or you think others are.

I'm betting on the former.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2020, 01:11:35 PM »
ROTFLMFAO

Do you really not see the irony in your post????

Either you're completely clueless about what you're doing or you think others are.

I'm betting on the former.

Serious question:  How old are you?

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2020, 01:51:18 PM »
Serious question:  How old are you?

If you didn't think that post was ironically hilarious at any age, you have no sense of humor.

feedback