[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1108096 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #7500 on: July 25, 2020, 07:02:11 PM »
Apparently the pulled back and won't air it. That's very good. Disprovable nonsense has no place on news  as "alternate points of view".
Actually, they are still saying thy hope to air it next week.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #7501 on: July 25, 2020, 07:35:53 PM »
Apparently the pulled back and won't air it. That's very good. Disprovable nonsense has no place on news  as "alternate points of view".

Yep I saw that. But Sinclair will do something similar again. This one was so over the top and caught a lot of attention beyond their target audience, that they backed down. This is why it is important to immediately speak up and call people out on some of these things in these situations. It may sound dramatic but in this example, it probably saved some lives. And that's a good thing.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7502 on: July 25, 2020, 08:06:36 PM »
To be fair...a lot of you get your news from CNN, and I just wish you'd call them what they are

https://www.projectveritas.com/news/exposecnnpart1/
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7503 on: July 25, 2020, 08:16:28 PM »
To be fair...a lot of you get your news from CNN, and I just wish you'd call them what they are

https://www.projectveritas.com/news/exposecnnpart1/

Project Veritas. Lol. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7504 on: July 25, 2020, 08:38:46 PM »
Project Veritas. Lol.

See, this is the kind of sh*t that pisses me off.....Anytime you present a liberal with FACTS they immediately dismiss it as being bunk etc. Why?? I get you're a liberal(and so are many others) but god dammit at least be reasonable..you can't(and it's all liberals really) just summarily dismiss something because you get presented with facts. It's annoying. This isn't doctored video, this isn't a conspiracy theory, it's not something I made up on my own...this is an actual former employee who was interviewed with actual tape recordings of the CNN president proving his distaste for trump. I mean come on man, be reasonable here, you don't have to like it, but this is factual, legitimate footage. It's that simple.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7505 on: July 25, 2020, 08:50:46 PM »
See, this is the kind of sh*t that pisses me off.....Anytime you present a liberal with FACTS they immediately dismiss it as being bunk etc. Why?? I get you're a liberal(and so are many others) but god dammit at least be reasonable..you can't(and it's all liberals really) just summarily dismiss something because you get presented with facts. It's annoying. This isn't doctored video, this isn't a conspiracy theory, it's not something I made up on my own...this is an actual former employee who was interviewed with actual tape recordings of the CNN president proving his distaste for trump. I mean come on man, be reasonable here, you don't have to like it, but this is factual, legitimate footage. It's that simple.

I don’t watch CNN so I really don’t care.

Anyone who thinks Project Veritas is a legit news source might as well have worms eating his brain.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #7506 on: July 25, 2020, 09:36:32 PM »
I don’t watch CNN so I really don’t care.

Anyone who thinks Project Veritas is a legit news source might as well have worms eating his brain.

And same can be said for anyone who views CNN as a legitimate news source.  Right??

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7507 on: July 25, 2020, 10:42:02 PM »
Anytime you present a liberal with FACTS they immediately dismiss it as being bunk etc.
James O'Keefe and Project Veritas are the diametric opposite of facts.

This isn't doctored video
LOL. Do you know anything about O'Keefe?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #7508 on: July 25, 2020, 10:51:36 PM »
Summer Family Bible conference was held by Andrew Wommack, a preacher who has openly defied state public health restrictions on church gatherings.

“I have respectfully refused to comply with the artificial limit on the number of people who can attend,” wrote Wommack in a Facebook post. “We are firmly in the ‘crosshairs’ of our liberal state government. Liberty Counsel has agreed to represent us, and we are fighting back. I believe it is not only our constitutional right but our duty to stop this extreme overreach of government that allows people to riot and pillage but not assemble to worship the Lord.”

Now for the shocking ending:

Subsequently, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment traced an outbreak of COVID-19 to that event, “with seven staff members and fifteen attendees testing positive.”

As a result, Wommack has canceled his upcoming in-person “healing conference” and will be live streaming the event for his parishioners instead.

Wommack in a statement. “If it was just me, I believe that if I touch someone, they’ll catch my healing instead of me catching their sickness.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #7509 on: July 25, 2020, 11:07:45 PM »
Project Veritas. Lol.

I just hum the song "Roxanne" by The Police and instead change the words to "You don't have to fall for that gaslight, Roxanne"

Don't fall for the gaslight, the distraction, the subject change.

What we have is a company that owns a lot of tv stations (hundreds), in a lot of cities, that was going to air a segment that said that Dr. Fauci created COVID-19. And, that company admitted this was true, tried to deny responsibility, calling it airing both sides, ...and then after even more backlash, decided not to air it. Source: The Company itself.

"Roxanne, you don't have to fall for that gaslight, Roxanne..." Lol.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7510 on: July 25, 2020, 11:21:25 PM »
And same can be said for anyone who views CNN as a legitimate news source.  Right??

Actually, CNN is probably more equivalent of Fox News.  Both legitimate news sources, each one biased in a different direction.  They also both have certain personalities that are "crazy" in one bias - but not necessarily one more than the other.

Fortunately they both report Covid-19 news.  So I encourage you all to followed whatever news source you like, and report COVID-19 information here!  Get it?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7511 on: July 26, 2020, 08:16:45 AM »
Actually, CNN is probably more equivalent of Fox News.  Both legitimate news sources, each one biased in a different direction.  They also both have certain personalities that are "crazy" in one bias - but not necessarily one more than the other.

Fortunately they both report Covid-19 news.  So I encourage you all to followed whatever news source you like, and report COVID-19 information here!  Get it?

Well said, Captain. Both generally seem to get the facts correct, but then they spin them in opposite directions. Fox has done this forever; CNN's strong spin is more recent...but they do the same thing.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 08:18:33 AM by GooooMarquette »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7512 on: July 26, 2020, 08:38:01 AM »

This is good in theory, however when you have one side that no matter what you post will immediately disregard it as false because it contradicts everything they WANT to believe about it, and no amount of facts/science will change their minds, it seems to be a worthless endeavor.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7513 on: July 26, 2020, 08:47:06 AM »
This is good in theory, however when you have one side that no matter what you post will immediately disregard it as false because it contradicts everything they WANT to believe about it, and no amount of facts/science will change their minds, it seems to be a worthless endeavor.

You generalize too much.  Most individuals here are reasonable.  Try having a discussion rather than an argument and almost everyone in the population can be reasonable.  And after that discussion, it's OK if both sides still have different individual beliefs. 

Plus, I know your statement is referring to those "damn libs", but try reading it thinking that Jockey wrote it.  Actually, it could be something he wrote.  The door swings both ways.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7514 on: July 26, 2020, 08:51:39 AM »
Someone posted on Scoop several weeks ago a really good graph of news sources and where they fall on the spectrum and how much of their content is BS.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7515 on: July 26, 2020, 09:08:48 AM »
You generalize too much.  Most individuals here are reasonable.  Try having a discussion rather than an argument and almost everyone in the population can be reasonable.  And after that discussion, it's OK if both sides still have different individual beliefs. 

Plus, I know your statement is referring to those "damn libs", but try reading it thinking that Jockey wrote it.  Actually, it could be something he wrote.  The door swings both ways.

I'd love to be able to have conversations with anyone here, but most here will not engage. You can post a simple link without comment, and they will automatically trash it as not being real, or accurate, because it doesn't support THEIR position. Look all over in these threads..it's everywhere. Yes, it may go both ways, but it is way more the left here than it is the right, and they don't hide it either.

Take for example two instances..one being the Project Veritas link I posted exposing CNN for their bias. I did it as a test..and I knew it would get the responses it did. Who was the first to jump on it?? Fluffy followed by Tony Smith. IMMEDIATELY dismisses Project Veritas as being legit, because even though he says he doesn't watch CNN he is "very liberal"(his own words), it doesn't fit his narrative as to what he WANTS to believe. Why?? Why can't we have reasonable discourse, open our eyes some and realize that "hey, maybe I don't believe all of this, but this was kind of eye opening because it's coming from a former employee", instead of just laughing at it and dismissing it completely. If I posted the same thing about Fox news or OAN, what do you think those same people would have done?? Of course they would have commented about how true it was etc. They know they would have even if they won't admit it.

Or, how about the link I posted about hydroxychloroquine(without comment) as another test to see the responses and they were again EXACTLY as what I assumed they would be. Now this was a link with comments from a Yale epidemiologist, and of course guess what happened?? IMMEDIATELY dismissed and mocked for being completely false. Because obviously certain posters here know everything and certainly far more than a Yale epidemiologist, ask them, they will tell you they do. My biggest issue is...this is "science", the very same science the truthers will scream from the mountain tops that we MUST follow the science, but I guess that's only the science that THEY believe and want to preach to others that they MUST believe. Again, they know far more than anyone else about it, particularly some scientists.

As far as my statement being those "damn libs". That's not accurate. They are no longer libs, they are the radical left and whether they like it or not, admit it or not, that's exactly what they are. They have to own that.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7516 on: July 26, 2020, 09:14:44 AM »
Guru this is the COVID thread.  Post whatever you want to share on that topic, the policy, the research, the decisions.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7517 on: July 26, 2020, 09:17:26 AM »
Take for example two instances..one being the Project Veritas link I posted exposing CNN for their bias.

You do have to understand the irony of posting from an extremely biased source, that another source is biased.  Right?

Or, how about the link I posted about hydroxychloroquine(without comment) [snip] Yale epidemiologist, ask them, they will tell you they do. My biggest issue is...this is "science"

Maybe that one scientist is right.  But you understand for every one of him, there are hundreds of other scientists that have run studies and determined that hydroxychloroquine is not useful for covid-19.  Please explain why I should believe the one scientist over all the others?  Do you understand why people might be quick to question him?

As far as my statement being those "damn libs". That's not accurate. They are no longer libs, they are the radical left and whether they like it or not, admit it or not, that's exactly what they are. They have to own that.

I hope you also "own" what you are.  Radical right.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7518 on: July 26, 2020, 09:53:23 AM »
Our testing delays are over!!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/24/trained-dogs-sniffed-out-covid-19-infections-with-high-accuracy-study.html

On a serious note labcorp is sharing that they are getting turnaround times back to 2-3 days which is good. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7519 on: July 26, 2020, 10:07:15 AM »
There are initial signs that new infections may be leveling off in some places, including in some of the worst hot spots.

That may be most visible in Arizona.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/24/us/coronavirus-arizona.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200726&instance_id=20633&nl=the-morning&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=34399&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

Only a few weeks ago, Arizona was leading the nation in coronavirus infections per capita, as the virus spread across many Sun Belt states that had opened quickly in late spring. Facing a mounting crisis in June, Gov. Doug Ducey, a Republican, reversed himself and allowed cities and counties to order residents to wear masks. He also rolled back some earlier reopenings, and directed bars, indoor gyms, water parks and movie theaters to shut down again.

About a month later, the number of patients hospitalized with the virus is starting to decline. As of Friday afternoon, Arizona was the only state where known new daily cases were decreasing, a milestone that reflected, in part, just how dire conditions had been.

... States like Arizona are offering a real-time experiment.

Very interesting read. Not sure I love the idea that Arizona and a few other states are offering up their residents as guinea pigs ... but from afar, as a person who is fascinated by the science of this coronavirus, it will be interesting to watch.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7520 on: July 26, 2020, 10:27:47 AM »
There are initial signs that new infections may be leveling off in some places, including in some of the worst hot spots.

That may be most visible in Arizona.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/24/us/coronavirus-arizona.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200726&instance_id=20633&nl=the-morning&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=34399&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

Only a few weeks ago, Arizona was leading the nation in coronavirus infections per capita, as the virus spread across many Sun Belt states that had opened quickly in late spring. Facing a mounting crisis in June, Gov. Doug Ducey, a Republican, reversed himself and allowed cities and counties to order residents to wear masks. He also rolled back some earlier reopenings, and directed bars, indoor gyms, water parks and movie theaters to shut down again.

About a month later, the number of patients hospitalized with the virus is starting to decline. As of Friday afternoon, Arizona was the only state where known new daily cases were decreasing, a milestone that reflected, in part, just how dire conditions had been.

... States like Arizona are offering a real-time experiment.

Very interesting read. Not sure I love the idea that Arizona and a few other states are offering up their residents as guinea pigs ... but from afar, as a person who is fascinated by the science of this coronavirus, it will be interesting to watch.

Interesting, and a sign that masking among other interventions have an impact. But the stabilization is at 90% ICU capacity. That's... Not sustainable.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7521 on: July 26, 2020, 10:35:21 AM »
Our testing delays are over!!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/24/trained-dogs-sniffed-out-covid-19-infections-with-high-accuracy-study.html

On a serious note labcorp is sharing that they are getting turnaround times back to 2-3 days which is good.

I read the "trained dogs part" then the bolded, and my brain just automatically changed it to "Labra-corp".

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7522 on: July 26, 2020, 11:26:26 AM »
Irony meter just broke

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7523 on: July 26, 2020, 11:31:42 AM »
Some interesting data that i would like to hear people's perspective on...This is talking about deaths from Covid based on whether it's a "red" state or a "blue" state...

Andrew Follett
@AndrewCFollett
·
1h
Ultimately, the question comes down to how you declare "red state" or "blue state." I defined this in three different ways.

Andrew Follett
@AndrewCFollett
·
1h
First, was by the party of the state governor (counted DC's mayor as the de-facto governor).

Cons, this is open to misinterpretation as many states commonly considered "deep red" like Montana have Democratic governors while "deep blue" states like Vermont have GOP governors.

Andrew Follett
@AndrewCFollett
·
1h
By first method, "Red States" have about half the deaths of "Blue States."

Red Gov Avg per 100k: 21.43 (214.3 per million)

Blue Gov Avg per 100k: 42.41 (424.1 per million)

Andrew Follett
@AndrewCFollett
·
1h
Second, this second method was to look at  electoral voting in the 2008, 2012, and 2016 Presidential elections.

If a state voted for a Republican in all three elections it was dubbed a "Red" while if it voted for a Democrat in all three elections it was dubbed a "Blue"

Andrew Follett
@AndrewCFollett
·
1h
Any other result was a "Purple State" and given own category.

I have used this method before when crunching numbers for the Caller as it tends to better mesh with what the average individual considers a "red state" or "blue state."

Andrew Follett
@AndrewCFollett
·
1h
By this method, "Red States" have less than a third the deaths of "Blue States." In my opinion, this is probably the best method.

Red POTUS Avg per 100k:  15.24 (152.4 per million)

Blue POTUS Avg per 100k: 49.13 (491.3 per million

Purple per 100k: 33.57 (335.7 per million).

Andrew Follett
@AndrewCFollett
·
1h
Third, if limited to "just" 2016 Presidential votes, the results are roughly similar to the second method with Blue States having roughly 2.5 times more deaths than Red States.

Andrew Follett
@AndrewCFollett
·
1h
This is much simpler to explain, but probably less accurate.

Red 2016 POTUS Avg per 100k:  19.52 (195.2 per million)   

Blue 2016 POTUS Avg per 100k: 48.75 (487.5 per million)

Andrew Follett
@AndrewCFollett
·
1h
Overall, it seems that the disparity in deaths between red and blue states has actually INCREASED relative to previous months.

Obviously, this may not be the case in future weeks or months. It is also quite possible this disparity could be narrowed by other counting methods.

Andrew Follett
@AndrewCFollett
·
1h
Now, is this is partially due to the fact that Blue States are less rural than Red States...Blue tends to have marginally higher population densities in general.

But using per capita data generally accounts for that disparity.

Andrew Follett
@AndrewCFollett
·
1h
My point here is that this data is accurate, and that I can EASILY use it to make this case.

Many states like Connecticut have been far more disastrous with their data transparency than Flordia...but WaPo doesn't care because they're out to destroy @RonDeSantisFL

Anyone have some REASONABLE points to make on this?? Rather than just dismissing it as something you may not want to see/believe?? It uses data to make the case, there's no arguing that.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7524 on: July 26, 2020, 11:33:46 AM »
Guru - with all due respect, dont post the comments section of twitter in an html board and expect anyone to reasonably respond.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 11:40:12 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »