collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1109113 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #5250 on: May 12, 2020, 11:05:06 AM »
The dude from Deadspin? He’s about as unbiased and impartial as citing someone from a Bretibart as a foremost authority on the inner workings of the Obama administration. I’m no Trump fan but let’s be reasonable

You said it better than me.  Lmao on that "expert."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5251 on: May 12, 2020, 11:23:53 AM »
Wouldn't it be refreshing if the President learned that taking credit for putting really smart people in top positions was a better strategy than trying to take credit for things he clearly does not understand?  He doesn't need to answer questions, but simply to defer to the person who knows the answer to the question being asked.  Totally simple, something that shows he is a leader, and something he can take credit for without being attacked for or looking like a moron daily.  But we don't live in that world.

I, for one, knew we were in a messed up timeline when Leicester City became champs.

I think that's true of most politicians as well. How often do you have congressmen making definitive statements about topics they clearly have little understanding? He just seems to be worse than most.

Also agree that the best defer to experts, regardless of office.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #5252 on: May 12, 2020, 11:36:01 AM »
The dude from Deadspin? He’s about as unbiased and impartial as citing someone from a Bretibart as a foremost authority on the inner workings of the Obama administration. I’m no Trump fan but let’s be reasonable

You said it better than me.  Lmao on that "expert."

He's an opinion writer, not a news source. I'm not trying to contrast him against on the ground reporting - you can't read Roth and think you're reading Yamiche Alcindor.  But I find him far more useful than Cilizza or the NYTs editorial page or any other opinion writer that has a vested interest in making all of this seem like four dimensional chess.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5253 on: May 12, 2020, 11:40:40 AM »

And by the way, it’s pretty ironic that you are referring to him as “the orange buffoon,“ while I am talking about his actual words and actions.

And you are calling me the overly political one?

When did I point to you as overly political? I've made zero political commentary to date....hell I have commented in this thread in like 2 weeks.

And calling him an orange buffoon is in no way political, I'm insulting his intelligence, not his political decisions/positions. There are lots of politicians that I think are buffoons but that doesn't determine whether I agree or disagree with their political positions/actions
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5254 on: May 12, 2020, 11:42:15 AM »
Nah, this dude. He's got the insights.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5255 on: May 12, 2020, 11:48:36 AM »

I'd rather read David Lee Roth's take on Trump over some hack at deadspin (he quit) that was writing summaries on the back of baseball cards 10 years ago.

Other people that i would rather read than David Roth:

Tommy Lee
Tommy Lee Jones
Tom Jones
Uli Jon Roth
Bob Ross
Ross Geller
Betsy Ross
Betsy Draper

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5256 on: May 12, 2020, 11:57:03 AM »
Another wonderful protest by some deep thinkers in Raleigh.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article242668401.html?

Protesters gathered in downtown Raleigh for a fifth week Tuesday, calling for Gov. Roy Cooper to immediately reopen North Carolina and cancel restrictions on business.

The Reopen NC group had drawn more than a thousand in earlier protests but saw its numbers dwindle last week and again Tuesday, with about 200 people each week.

“We don’t have the numbers we thought we were going to have,” said organizer Adam Smith, “but God bless every one of you. Every one of you is worth 50 men.”

After he spoke, another protester suggested a campaign to personally thank every person not wearing a face mask.

Yes, because scientists were just saying that the one thing we really need to end the pandemic and get the economy going again are fewer people wearing facemasks at public gatherings.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5257 on: May 12, 2020, 11:58:01 AM »

No, the cat from Van Halen.  He dropped the middle name when he moved to PANAMA!

edit: Crap, beaten to the joke
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:59:51 AM by Hards_Alumni »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #5258 on: May 12, 2020, 12:02:41 PM »

Hot Take! I think I kind of prefer Sammy Hagar.  In Van Halen!  Not Gary Cherone though

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5259 on: May 12, 2020, 12:28:03 PM »
Hot Take! I think I kind of prefer Sammy Hagar.  In Van Halen! 

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5260 on: May 12, 2020, 03:40:28 PM »

When did I point to you as overly political? I've made zero political commentary to date....hell I have commented in this thread in like 2 weeks.

And calling him an orange buffoon is in no way political, I'm insulting his intelligence, not his political decisions/positions. There are lots of politicians that I think are buffoons but that doesn't determine whether I agree or disagree with their political positions/actions

Your response to my post included a couple of paragraphs about this becoming too political. I assumed - perhaps incorrectly- that you were using my post as an example of that.

My bad.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5261 on: May 12, 2020, 04:12:15 PM »

Your response to my post included a couple of paragraphs about this becoming too political. I assumed - perhaps incorrectly- that you were using my post as an example of that.

My bad.

Yeah my point was that everyone was making it political....whether its overly political or not remains to be seen but we've moved from 90/10 legit concern to something closer to 40/60 or 50/50 political...it is what it is
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5262 on: May 12, 2020, 04:33:33 PM »
Not just Fauci but all 4 witnesses to appear before the Senate today issued dire warnings about very likely severe consequences of re-opening too much too quickly. That came just a day after President Pandemic spiked the football about 80 yards shy of the goal line: “We have met the moment, and we have prevailed."

Nearly 2,000 more Americans died since the "prevailed" declaration. Many (most?) states that have re-opened haven't reached the benchmarks that Trump himself had required. And, as Mitt Romney noted, at least 25 nations are doing more testing per capita than we are: “I find our testing record nothing to celebrate whatsoever.”

Meanwhile, Lara Trump insisted that the unnecessary Narcissism Fest that will be this summer's RNC will go on as scheduled. But she and her sugar-daddy-in-law don't control that -- and Charlotte and NC officials say they aren't at all sure it will take place.

Another fun day!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #5263 on: May 12, 2020, 06:14:25 PM »
I had an interesting talk today with the CEO of a health care company that I work with who happens to also be an epidemiologist with expertise in public health. He was ringing the alarm bells early and loudly on this in January.  Interestingly, he is pretty sanguine about a potential 2nd wave.

His reasoning is that after this initial wave, people are going to be more diligent and "do the right" around social distancing, hygiene, etc. He comes at this view from a math, science, and reasoning perspective. I wish I could say I agree with him, but I think he is overlooking human behavior. You have people that are suffering economic hardship who are going to say "F it" and take their chances, and then you have a whole swath of people of the Freedumb movement who have been egged on not to take precautions. I'm afraid that even if the latter are a minority, it is more than enough to spread a 2nd wave.

I hope the Dr. is right and I am wrong.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #5264 on: May 12, 2020, 06:25:35 PM »
I had an interesting talk today with the CEO of a health care company that I work with who happens to also be an epidemiologist with expertise in public health. He was ringing the alarm bells early and loudly on this in January.  Interestingly, he is pretty sanguine about a potential 2nd wave.

His reasoning is that after this initial wave, people are going to be more diligent and "do the right" around social distancing, hygiene, etc. He comes at this view from a math, science, and reasoning perspective. I wish I could say I agree with him, but I think he is overlooking human behavior. You have people that are suffering economic hardship who are going to say "F it" and take their chances, and then you have a whole swath of people of the Freedumb movement who have been egged on not to take precautions. I'm afraid that even if the latter are a minority, it is more than enough to spread a 2nd wave.

is that with states fully open including schools and large events?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5265 on: May 12, 2020, 07:09:22 PM »

Where I think he has erred is in assuming people actually believe that message on doing the right thing. If this does go away to a large extent over the summer. People are going to have the memory of everyone over-reacting. The result will be when/if it re-emerges, people will be reluctant to take as severe of measures.

That means no shut downs, and less buy-in by the population. Which could make it more severe.

There is also the chance, not highly likely, that like the Spanish Flu, we have a mutated and more egressive strain emerge in fall.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5266 on: May 12, 2020, 07:25:50 PM »
Where I think he has erred is in assuming people actually believe that message on doing the right thing. If this does go away to a large extent over the summer. People are going to have the memory of everyone over-reacting. The result will be when/if it re-emerges, people will be reluctant to take as severe of measures.

That means no shut downs, and less buy-in by the population. Which could make it more severe.

There is also the chance, not highly likely, that like the Spanish Flu, we have a mutated and more egressive strain emerge in fall.

So get off of scoop and start researching this chit, aina.   ;D

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #5267 on: May 12, 2020, 07:27:55 PM »
What will be more entertaining and educational?   Fauci in front of the Senate?  Or Supreme Court arguments over the subpoena of Trump's tax records?

Hopefully folks learned that its better to know the judge than to know the law. Of course that's something that should become clear the first time you step into a courtroom, up to a point- some of these hacks are pushing their politics and disdain for stare decisis beyond a reasonable position.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:29:53 PM by Mutaman »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5268 on: May 12, 2020, 07:32:38 PM »

As others have said, he seems to be way more optimistic than most epidemiologists, but it would be great if he is right.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #5269 on: May 12, 2020, 07:34:03 PM »

So, you didn't get it.  Here it is, he posted a picture of David Lee Roth, a bit of a joke on a name.  David Lee Roth (DLR) was the original singer in the Rock and Roll band, Van Halen.  Now DLR was a bit of a star in the 70's and 80s, all swagger and leather pants and such, and is commonly regarded as the best singer in the bands history.  He left the band after 1984 the album, not the year, well both actually. 

Sammy (the Red Rocker, and Mas Tequila mogul) joined the band to replace him. And while Van Halen remained popular, successful and Eddie continued to hammer away on fret boards all over the world, many lamented the loss of DLR and his screeching vocals and fringe jackets. 

And while most of the band's best albums and songs are from the DLR era, I'm taking Sammy's side.  Not because he is better, or the band was better with him.  Mostly because I am averse to people in fringe jackets. 

Here, Egon and George of the Jungle can catch you up.

https://youtu.be/BJzSVD1YkHc

You may now get back to your live cut of total eclipse of the heart.  Sorry for the interruption.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 07:44:20 PM by buckchuckler »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5270 on: May 12, 2020, 07:38:06 PM »

Come to a Kroger in Indianapolis and quickly see how few people are following the suggested policies

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #5271 on: May 12, 2020, 07:54:54 PM »
So, you didn't get it.  Here it is, he posted a picture of David Lee Roth, a bit of a joke on a name.  David Lee Roth (DLR) was the original singer in the Rock and Roll band, Van Halen.  Now DLR was a bit of a star in the 70's and 80s, all swagger and leather pants and such, and is commonly regarded as the best singer in the bands history.  He left the band after 1984 the album, not the year, well both actually. 

Sammy (the Red Rocker, and Mas Tequila mogul) joined the band to replace him. And while Van Halen remained popular, successful and Eddie continued to hammer away on fret boards all over the world, many lamented the loss of DLR and his screeching vocals and fringe jackets. 

And while most of the band's best albums and songs are from the DLR era, I'm taking Sammy's side.  Not because he is better, or the band was better with him.  Mostly because I am averse to people in fringe jackets. 

You may now get back to your live cut of total eclipse of the heart.  Sorry for the interruption.

Thanks for the education. I've always been a Stones guy myself.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5272 on: May 12, 2020, 07:58:51 PM »

I fully understand the history of VH. I just don’t like the Hagar version. That’s all I meant.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #5273 on: May 12, 2020, 08:09:33 PM »
My opinion of what Comey, McCabe, Strok, et al did under the guise of “law enforcement” is very, very low. So is my opinion of a media that insists on carrying their water. The dishonest hit job that Chuck Todd pulled Sunday on “Meet the Press” re Attorney General Barr should disgust every American. Trump should shut his mouth, though, and let Durham finish his investigation. The docs we’ve seen are troubling and evidently there is a lot more to come.

The irony here is that if Comey et al had acted like professionals in doing their job instead of like incompetent boy scouts who were terrified of the NY FBI office, Trump never would have been elected in the first place.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5274 on: May 12, 2020, 08:17:06 PM »
Some good news on the post-infection testing front:

Rochester scientists develop first-of-its-kind antibody test to detect protective immunity

https://www.medcitybeat.com/news-blog/2020/vyriad-regeneron-antibody-test

Scientists at Vyriad have developed a new serology test capable of detecting neutralizing antibodies to determine a person’s immune defense against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the disease Covid-19.

The Rochester-based biotech firm is now collaborating with the pharmaceutical company Regeneron to make the test commercially available through major laboratories by the end of May.

——————

I worked with Steve Russell before he left Mayo to start Vyriad. Really bright guy. Hope his test works.

feedback