[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1085497 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #2925 on: April 01, 2020, 04:57:20 PM »
Come on man, you're better than this.  Not every other comment has to be an arrogant partisan pissing contest, regardless of the side you're on.

You give me way too much credit. It's just simple sarcasm.

For weeks, Fox downplayed the threat of the coronavirus, characterizing it as a conspiracy by media and Dems to undermine President Trump.

Hannity and  In­graham accused the news media of whipping up “mass hysteria” and being “panic pushers.” Fox Business host Trish Regan called the alleged media-Democratic alliance “yet another attempt to impeach the president.”

Trump held a news conference on  March 13 declaring a national emergency. Until then, Trump’s allies on Fox News took the same stance as the president himself  — that this coronavirus that had sickened and killed thousands of people in China was no worse a threat than the seasonal flu.

Hannity downplayed cororavirus deaths by saying: “Twenty-six people were shot in Chicago alone over the weekend. I doubt you heard about it. You notice there’s no widespread hysteria about violence in Chicago. And this has gone on for years and years. By the way, Democratic-run cities, we see a lot of that.”

Ingraham called Democrats the “pandemic party” and displayed photos of Pelosi and Schumer alongside images of coronavirus molecules. “How sick that these people seem almost happiest when Americans are hurting,” she said. She later said, "The facts are actually pretty reassuring, but you’d never know it watching all this stuff.”

Tucker Carlson is the only one who took it somewhat seriously even as he blamed the “corrupt” media.

On March 7, Jeanine Pirro said, “All the talk about coronavirus being so much more deadly [than the flu] doesn’t reflect reality.”

Nunes appeared on Fox to say “stop panicking” and to “just go out.”

So, that is where the sarcasm comes from. Their viewers cannot be knowledgeable when they are lied to on a daily basis.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2926 on: April 01, 2020, 05:19:47 PM »
You give me way too much credit. It's just simple sarcasm.

For weeks, Fox downplayed the threat of the coronavirus, characterizing it as a conspiracy by media and Dems to undermine President Trump.

Hannity and  In­graham accused the news media of whipping up “mass hysteria” and being “panic pushers.” Fox Business host Trish Regan called the alleged media-Democratic alliance “yet another attempt to impeach the president.”

Trump held a news conference on  March 13 declaring a national emergency. Until then, Trump’s allies on Fox News took the same stance as the president himself  — that this coronavirus that had sickened and killed thousands of people in China was no worse a threat than the seasonal flu.

Hannity downplayed cororavirus deaths by saying: “Twenty-six people were shot in Chicago alone over the weekend. I doubt you heard about it. You notice there’s no widespread hysteria about violence in Chicago. And this has gone on for years and years. By the way, Democratic-run cities, we see a lot of that.”

Ingraham called Democrats the “pandemic party” and displayed photos of Pelosi and Schumer alongside images of coronavirus molecules. “How sick that these people seem almost happiest when Americans are hurting,” she said. She later said, "The facts are actually pretty reassuring, but you’d never know it watching all this stuff.”

Tucker Carlson is the only one who took it somewhat seriously even as he blamed the “corrupt” media.

On March 7, Jeanine Pirro said, “All the talk about coronavirus being so much more deadly [than the flu] doesn’t reflect reality.”

So, that is where the sarcasm comes from. Their viewers cannot be knowledgeable when they are lied to on a daily basis.

Yes. We get it. Now please stop.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2927 on: April 01, 2020, 06:09:22 PM »
Well, it's official :)
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-01/china-concealed-extent-of-virus-outbreak-u-s-intelligence-says

But I laugh at these statements:
This is the wrong focus.  Nobody should care who has more cases, just find the best solution going forward.

Sure...we've done our best to collect data.  cough.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2928 on: April 01, 2020, 06:59:29 PM »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #2929 on: April 01, 2020, 07:19:39 PM »

Not on Fox News, but just like Pelosi and DiBlasio did....

Yeah we get it. Stop the politics.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2930 on: April 01, 2020, 08:44:58 PM »
In other news, looking forward to hearing the praise for DeSantis for FINALLY doing what he should have done a month ago  ::)  My GF's mom lives in the central part of Florida.  She informed her about the new rule and she was puzzled cause "doesn't seem like anybody else is changing anything".  Which is exasperating.  Especially since her mom's BF would clearly be in the intersection of multiple vulnerable populations.

"Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said religious services conducted in churches, synagogues and houses of worship are “essential business” and therefore exempt from this stay-at-home executive order announced this afternoon."

So I'm going to go with "Never" in terms of him earning praise.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2931 on: April 01, 2020, 09:20:56 PM »
"Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said religious services conducted in churches, synagogues and houses of worship are “essential business” and therefore exempt from this stay-at-home executive order announced this afternoon.”

Wow. Just wow.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2932 on: April 01, 2020, 09:26:28 PM »
"Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said religious services conducted in churches, synagogues and houses of worship are “essential business” and therefore exempt from this stay-at-home executive order announced this afternoon."

So I'm going to go with "Never" in terms of him earning praise.

Will they start paying taxes like essential businesses?

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2933 on: April 01, 2020, 09:31:07 PM »
Wow. Just wow.
Magic sheild from covid in church

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2934 on: April 01, 2020, 09:32:41 PM »
Will they start paying taxes like essential businesses?

I don’t think that’s how an essential business is determined.  There are a lot of people who believe their religion is essential however. God bless em
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2935 on: April 01, 2020, 09:36:47 PM »
btw, anyone coming around to hydroxychloroquine yet? 

Seems doc are taking it prophylactically

Ok, anecdotal story my nephew just got back from Africa. He’s been there before, but one of the things they do to prepare their bodies for the different environment is take the anti malarial drug, hydroxychloroquine.  He’s been back about a week and no Signs nor symptoms of that thing that’s going around here

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2936 on: April 01, 2020, 09:42:45 PM »

I don’t think that’s how an essential business is determined.  There are a lot of people who believe their religion is essential however. God bless em

They need to stay home.  Period.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2937 on: April 01, 2020, 09:44:21 PM »

can't they watch it on tv like all of the other reality shows

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2938 on: April 01, 2020, 09:49:39 PM »
Not on Fox News, but just like Pelosi and DiBlasio did....

Yeah we get it. Stop the politics.

Exactly. Only one politician has been right on this from day one that I know of - Sen Tom Cotton. Everybody else who opined early (that I’ve seen quoted) from both parties didn’t get it.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2939 on: April 01, 2020, 09:53:50 PM »
About that supply of government stockpiled ventilators...Where are they? Why do some not work? They let the.contract expire last year.

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1245520727887024129?s=19

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2940 on: April 01, 2020, 10:00:05 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-marc-siegel-encouraging-developments-coronavirus-fight

"Back in January, Netflix, ironically, released a documentary called 'Pandemic.'" Siegel explained. "And one of the scientists they featured, an immunologist bioengineer from San Francisco, Jacob Glanville, has now gone on since that film to be working on ... several antibodies that he took from another coronavirus, SARS, from 2003.

"And he's re-engineered these antibodies so that they literally attack... the virus by blocking its entry into the cell," Siegel went on. "He's got it to the point now where he's handing it over to Army research. The Army research laboratories are going to test it and see how effective it is. And from there, [they'll] go on to human trials."

Siegel described Glanville's would-be treatment as "very, very interesting," noting that "it has been used in the past, using targeted antibodies to go after a virus. It may not be a cure, but it can certainly decrease symptoms."

The second development involves using tobacco plants to develop antibodies.

"Tobacco is actually a plant that we use to grow vaccines, to grow the proteins that we then use to challenge your immune system to create an antibody," Siegel told Carlson. "A tobacco plant is now being injected with a protein from this coronavirus to see if they can develop a vaccine.

"So not only are they making tobacco that puts our lungs at risk for this virus, but they're also working on a vaccine against the virus," the doctor added.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2941 on: April 01, 2020, 10:03:25 PM »
Exactly. Only one politician has been right on this from day one that I know of - Sen Tom Cotton. Everybody else who opined early (that I’ve seen quoted) from both parties didn’t get it.

The same Tom Cotton who's suggested COVID-19 was created in a secret Chinese lab?
I guess we'll see.

You're right that Cotton was one of the first to see it coming. But his spreading of fringe theories about its origins doesn't seem helpful.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:12:29 PM by Pakuni »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2942 on: April 01, 2020, 10:21:22 PM »
The same Tom Cotton who's suggested COVID-19 was created in a secret Chinese lab?
I guess we'll see.

You're right that Cotton was one of the first to see it coming. But his spreading of fringe theories about its origins doesn't seem helpful.

Unaware of any fringe/conspiracy theories he has espoused. I’m certainly not a fan of that sort of thing. But when Trump was holding rallies and the Dems were only interested in impeachment he was a lonely and accurate voice about the seriousness of the virus.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2943 on: April 01, 2020, 10:47:50 PM »
Florida...took almost 8,000 cases for the Governor to act. (need that Spring Break money)

There have been 4 dead bodies floating around for weeks on a cruise ship.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241681661.html?__twitter_impression=true

And DeSantis says he'll only take the Floridians off of the ship (there are 300 Americans, 400 Candadians.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/florida-gov-ron-desantis-says-hell-only-let-floridians-off-coronavirus-infected-cruise-ship

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2944 on: April 01, 2020, 11:12:50 PM »
Florida...took almost 8,000 cases for the Governor to act. (need that Spring Break money)

No offense shoot - but everything you've posted tonight has already been here.  Catch up here first, then let us know if you've got anything new.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2945 on: April 01, 2020, 11:17:35 PM »
Unaware of any fringe/conspiracy theories he has espoused. I’m certainly not a fan of that sort of thing. But when Trump was holding rallies and the Dems were only interested in impeachment he was a lonely and accurate voice about the seriousness of the virus.

He may have been right about the threat...but he has been pushing this:

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronavirus-covid-19/fox-news-anchor-maria-bartiromo-and-sen-tom-cotton-keep-pushing-coronavirus

The Lancet - one of the most respected medical journals in the world (and which published the study he uses as the basis for his theory) - has stated that there is no substance to his claims.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:22:31 PM by GooooMarquette »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2946 on: April 01, 2020, 11:24:59 PM »
btw, anyone coming around to hydroxychloroquine yet? 

Seems doc are taking it prophylactically

Ok, anecdotal story my nephew just got back from Africa. He’s been there before, but one of the things they do to prepare their bodies for the different environment is take the anti malarial drug, hydroxychloroquine.  He’s been back about a week and no Signs nor symptoms of that thing that’s going around here

They are? Source?

Because the regulatory agencies have sent out communications specifically to those with prescriptive authority that this should NOT be done.

And your anecdotal story? Um.. isn't it possible he just hasn't been infected? Also, taking the drug has nothing to do with a "different environment" and everything to do with avoiding malaria.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2947 on: April 01, 2020, 11:27:45 PM »
Walked down to where the USNS Comfort is docked at Pier 91. They have semi-opaque green fencing all along 12th Ave, which makes sense. In my walk, I saw multiple groups of people trying to talk, move the fencing aside to take pictures, chat closely with strangers in the vicinity. It was such “siggghhhh” moment seeing it.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2948 on: April 01, 2020, 11:36:14 PM »

Senator Warren was the first to come up with a comprehensive plan for this, way back in January.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2949 on: April 02, 2020, 01:06:24 AM »
They are? Source?

Because the regulatory agencies have sent out communications specifically to those with prescriptive authority that this should NOT be done.

And your anecdotal story? Um.. isn't it possible he just hasn't been infected? Also, taking the drug has nothing to do with a "different environment" and everything to do with avoiding malaria.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/20/hospitals-doctors-are-wiping-out-supplies-an-unproven-coronavirus-treatment/

Near the end of the article, it claims doctors and dentists are prescribing it for themselves.   I could see MD’s Rx’ing it for themselves but unless ya know the pharmacist pretty well, they will flag this one as outside your lane

But gee, I’m curious as to why these people with, probably a pretty good understanding of how things work, would be taking this “anecdotal” medication.  and it seems to be hard to find now?  But that’s just me being reckless err something.  Wouldn’t want to find something that seems to be doing something weird with this pesky virus.

btw, yes, very possible my nephew was not exposed to said virus but what the heck.  Ya gotta ask yourself, do ya feel lucky? Punk? 🤫

feedback